2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Any intel on why Cook has been struggling at Fall Camp??

When they were seniors at Lamar, I thought Jamison looked like the more talented corner.  This was before Cook committed to Texas, so it sounded like homerism, but I really think Jamison has more potential there.  Cook was known to grab onto guys in 7 on 7 and camps and try to get a way with what would be obvious penalties in a real game.  Not saying he won't be good, but Cook potentially playing as a backup isn't the shock to me that it is to some.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fellside said:

When they were seniors at Lamar, I thought Jamison looked like the more talented corner.  This was before Cook committed to Texas, so it sounded like homerism, but I really think Jamison has more potential there.  Cook was known to grab onto guys in 7 on 7 and camps and try to get a way with what would be obvious penalties in a real game.  Not saying he won't be good, but Cook potentially playing as a backup isn't the shock to me that it is to some.

Exactly, I wasn't posting back then but Cook was very grabby in his 1 on 1 camp reps.  He can be great but I think he's a year away from consistent starting DB level play.  Jamison, I hope, learns to wrap up better after the catch.  Bouncing off of Duvernay during the spring game comes to mind

5 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I saw Leal play in 4 games in HS, the kid took a lot of snaps off. More than 50% of the time he loafed.  

He is a big dude, and when he decides to get involved it obvious why everyone wanted him.   Looked like he needed to go to a program that would give him the best conditioning and coaching available to become a 1st round pick.  aggy wasn't the best choice, probably not even a good choice.  

You just described 99% of elite HS defensive tackles.

Mitchell & Tillman and getting praise during Fall Camp is great to hear...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6  JUWAN MITCHELL  

LB     Height 6-1   WT   240

HOMETOWN.   Newark, N.J.

CLASS    Sophomore

HIGH SCHOOL.    Mater Dei

PREVIOUS SCHOOL.    Butler CC

An all-conference linebacker transfer from Butler Community College who enrolled in June 2019 … ranked No. 2 on ESPN’s JC50 and No. 1 at linebacker … rated as the No. 6 JUCO inside linebacker by 247Sports … ranked the No. 76 JUCO player nationally by Rivals … selected honorable mention All-KJCCC (Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference) in 2018 … played in all 12 games as a freshman … led all freshmen at Butler in tackles (55) and tackles for loss (7.5), which ranked sixth and fourth overall on the team, respectively … also recorded two sacks, a 44-yard interception return and a pass breakup … registered at least four tackles in seven games, including a three-game stretch with a total of 26 … notched seven tackles with one sack and two tackles for loss against Hutchinson … posted a season-high 10 tackles (six solo) with 2.5 tackles for loss against Independence … collected nine tackles against Air Force Prep … returned an interception 44 yards against Fort Scott … tallied five tackles with one tackle for loss against in Northeastern Oklahoma A&M … helped Butler to an 8-4 overall record, a 5-2 conference record and a Midwest Classic Bowl Championship in 2018 … attended New Berlin (N.Y.) Milford Academy in the fall of 2017 and led the conference in tackles … played for Dino Mangiero at Mater Dei High School in New Jersey … selected third-team All-Shore Conference at linebacker as a senior in 2016 … also chosen second-team all-area … helped Mater Dei to an undefeated 12-0 record, including a 5-0 league mark and title, and the NJSIAA Non-Public Group 2 Championship in 2016 … registered 87 tackles (51 solo), two sacks, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one interception on defense, along with eight receptions for 48 yards and a touchdown on offense as a junior in 2015 … also competed in discus in track and field in high school.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#13  MARCUS TILLMAN

LB     Height 6-1   WT   230

HOMETOWN.     Orlando, Fla.

CLASS    Freshman  (EE)

HIGH SCHOOL.       Jones

A four-year letterman and three-year starter who enrolled early in January 2019 … selected to play in the 2018 Central Florida All-Star Game … named All-USA Florida second team … ranked No. 77 in Florida and No. 28 at outside linebacker by Rivals … ranked No. 89 in Florida and No. 55 at outside linebacker by 247Sports … listed at No. 247 on the ESPN300, No. 40 in Florida and No. 17 at outside linebacker … rated No. 5 on the Orlando Sentinel’s Central Florida Super60 … part of a defense that allowed just 9.9 points per game, including five total shutouts and a string of four consecutive to end the regular season as a senior … named the Orlando Touchdown Club Player of the Week in week six, helping Jones force five turnovers and limit Bishop Moore to seven points in a playoff win … helped Jones to a 10-2 overall record, including a 3-0 district mark and district title, and an appearance in the 5A regional semifinal playoffs in 2018 … part of a defense that allowed just 9.9 points per game as a junior, including six total shutouts with a stretch of three in a row and another of three out of four, surrendering just a field goal in the other game … helped Jones to a 10-2 overall record, including a 4-0 district mark and district title, and an appearance in the 5A regional quarterfinal playoffs in 2017 … began his high school career at Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, playing there as a freshman and sophomore … registered 58 tackles, five tackles for loss, one sack, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one interception as a sophomore … part of a defense that allowed just 11.9 points per game, including eight games of seven points or fewer and three shutouts … helped Dr. Phillips to 12-3 overall record, including a 4-0 district record and district title, and an appearance in the 8A state title game in 2016 … began his high school career as a safety … an honor roll student in high school … son of Joyce and Marcus Tillman … sisters are Miracle and Kisha.

It's a great feeling knowing that all our RSFr OL are not needed for depth anymore. Ideally, you want your OL to start getting major game reps in their 3 year on campus, unless they are really special. That might change next year if Comsi leaves early, and Johnson will be needed at LT.

11 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So who's looking to be our 3rd string back. After Ingram and Young there's a pretty big drop in experienced backs on our roster. We can not afford an injury at that position this season. 

DevDuv and Jake Smith are the names being talked about, of course after JWhitt.

Edited by jdhorn92