2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

14 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Imade probably is #7. While we haven't seen much word of him in the first team during fall, he got some reps in the spring. On a purely physical basis there's no question he can handle playing. I'd think he could be hidden between Cosmi and Shack without too much of an issue - no worse than Vahe last year.

I'm general guard depth is okay. Tackle and center are what really could be issues. A Kerstetter injury would be a double whammy because of his center experience, and he's probably the second best tackle on the team right now. In general the drop from first to second team at tackle and center still appears pretty significant.

But when is Urquidez going to start? Dude was a 4-star OT and $9.95ers definitely know how to evaluate.

Edited by Tex Pete

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s impressive but not crazy. 20+ years ago when my younger brother and I were in college, he would throw up 315 lbs a few times on bench. He didn’t even work out regularly. Give your average, in shape make at that age a Yancy to work with, and it can be done.

Are your brother's arms 40" long?

7 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Keondre Coburn may be my favorite 2018 guy.  No bullshit kid who works his ass off and wants to help the team.

Well he works his ass off now. He showed up to campus a butterball after slacking on his pre-work. Great to see the improvement, for sure.

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Malik Jefferson was 240 pounds playing the Rover position. BJ Foster is 210 and they clearly haven't used the phrase "rover" with him, so why do these fucknuggets keep asking him to explain it? 

People who don't realize that it's 2019.  20-30 years ago it was common to label a SS who played down near the LOS regularly as a Rover.  Some folks just haven't kept up with the preferred nomenclature changing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

People who don't realize that it's 2019.  20-30 years ago it was common to label a SS who played down near the LOS regularly as a Rover.  Some folks just haven't kept up with the preferred nomenclature changing.

I don’t care what position you call Foster.  I call him a football player who can run and knock the fuck out of you.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Yup, and then he did this the very next week and didn't get called somehow:

The QB was standing straight up and Gustin launched into his head.

Yeah that was a really egregious no call and robbed Washington State of being in the playoff talk for a lot of the year. Worst call of the year that i can think of off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, Fico said:

LOL.... no

1 hour ago, Sleepygrad said:

Didn’t look like the crown of his helmet nor was the receiver defenseless in that situation. He caught the bell like 7 yards before the hit

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Maybe if you’re a pussy egyptian god poser.

Foster pretty clearly has his eyes down and makes helmet-to-helmet contact. That's targeting. 

42 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Yeah that was a really egregious no call and robbed Washington State of being in the playoff talk for a lot of the year. Worst call of the year that i can think of off the top of my head. 

Foster pretty clearly has his eyes down and makes helmet-to-helmet contact. That's targeting. 

He targeted the USC collar logo, and made incidental contact with the face mask. It may be targeting by the letter of the rule but not by the spirit of the rule.

IT mod Q&A about the team:

Q: Are aptitude concerns at LB in run support, coverage, or both?

Eric Nahlin (EN): I haven't heard of aptitude problems, just experience and maybe a dash of physical limitation with Dele. But Dele is moving better than ever -- went from running 17 mph to nearly 20 in the last year. Experience and aptitude aren't the same. Guys might know what they need to do but a little hesitation hurts them. The more they see something the faster they'll react.

Q: Simple question - is the MPH test here a max speed during a play? Curious if this is an indicator of acceleration/short burst more than tracking down plays/long speed.

EN: Simple question but I'm not sure. I think it's measured for many of them on kick-off coverage.

Q: Need to find a 7th and 8th OL. Who do you think has the best chance to fill those roles and how big of a drop off will they be from the top 6?

EN: Imade and Christian Jones probably. I'd bet pretty heavily that Jones starts at RT in 2020. He could be okay this year if they need him. Kerstetter offers a lot of flexibility. He can fill a hole where needed and then have Angilau come in and take his spot at guard. Kerstetter looked good at practice today at center, btw. That is very not surprising.

Q: Drawing from this quote and the quote later on in this thread about your belief in Kerstetter as a center, do you think Kerstetter is the most likely center in 2020?

EN: Unquestionably.

Q: What position group do you have the most and least confidence in for 2019 and for 2020? In terms of on field play, not recruiting.

EN: High confidence in Sam but not behind him so I have the most confidence in WR's (followed by DL) for 2019 and least in LB. 2020: QB or OL = most, DL = the least (have to replace TQ and Roach) That's a long way off and a lot can happen. (Nahlin later realized that TQ was a junior and would probably be returning for 2020).

Q: With all the sources saying the offense will be more explosive and score more this year, what are they citing? Are we getting that much more vertical in practice, is the quarterback that much more improved?

EN: Opening up the passing game, emphasizing the spread in the power spread. Better OL play. Great WR group and QB. Being able to motion to favorable match-ups. They feel they can threaten every level of the defense, including vertically.

Q: We heard about how the staff is confident in about 6 OL right now. What's the number at DL? I know you said the staff loves the first three, but how many do they feel confident about beyond that?

EN: No idea what the exact number is, I guess because they don't have a target or depth concerns. They know they can play Wilbon, Bimage, Jacoby Jones, Chisholm, Christmas, Ojomo, and probably Carson and Sweat if need be [in addition to Roach, Coburn, Graham].

Q: To get Jake Smith or Moore on the field would duv go to Z or come off the field?

Justin Wells (JW): Either or. Devin will play snaps at Z. Josh could be a Z.

EN: Go four wide and take off the Y. Eagles has to stay healthy otherwise that could really open things up for Jake. That would push Duvernay back to Z, imo.

Q: Who could be big for UT this year IF it comes together for him over the next few weeks of camp? (Excluding Braun).

EN: Jake Smith. I don't expect him to overtake Duvernay but he might force them to go four-wide a bit more.

Q: Are there any indications that this team would be the type to not let their foot off the gas with a lead and close out a game comfortably? Or is that something that's hard to tell until they're actually in that situation?

EN: They seem to want to bury teams if they can. They should be able to bury some of them for sure.

Q: Follow up question: How does a team develop that trait? Is it something that you can coach, is it about the play-calling, is it more of an intangible "you have it or you don't" sort of thing, etc.?

EN: It's having the more talented team and executing more consistently. Converting a few more third downs to extend drives. Before you know it leads to points. Having a good defense helps too. There does seem to be some psychological thing with Herman regarding playing up or down to the competition but I have no idea how to explain that.

Q: Is Kerstetter an upgraded version of Elijah Rodriguez, essentially?

EN: I thought Kerstetter was an NFL center coming out of HS and I still do.

JW: I wouldn’t say upgrade, but more talent, long term. ERod was a grinder. 

Q:Can you elaborate on Cook’s issues in coverage that are fixable?

EN: Mental mistakes. I don't know specific examples but that could be a lot of different things. He'll be all right.

JW: Yep, confidence. 

Q: Is Jones working at Nickel for backup or is it realistic he could start there?

EN: It's less likely if Sterns doesn't stay healthy but they weren't looking at it for simple cross-training purposes.

JW: Not a starter or backup, just a different formation, scheme/package. It might be genius.

Q: Is Cook running second string or is it preparation for his suspension?

JW: He’s running 2nd team.

Q: Do you think Anthony Cook wins back the job by LSU?

JW: I do.

EN: I kind of feel like Green will go to the field and Cook will get boundary, but he needs to get out of his rut. It's a mix of Cook being inconsistent and others playing well.

Q: As far as the juco backers, as far as early returns go who is showing more between Johnson and Mitchell? Who would you hedge towards best odds to start in 2020 once they are acclimated?

EN: They profile to Rover and Mac respectively so they could both start next year. I'm hearing more about Mitchell right now but Johnson has more athletic upside. Mitchell may get more playing time this year so that will help him. I think 2020 LB will be built around Tillman and Gbenda but it will be nice to have some older guys around too.

Q: Who’s showing better than expected and who’s been somewhat disappointing so far in camp?

EN: Most of the players we expected to have good camps are. John Burt has been better than expected. Maybe Moro too with his move to NT. I guess disappointing would be Cook. Epps has been quiet but I wouldn't say disappointing. Gbenda has turned some heads but I don't know what it will mean for this season.

Q: Has Ossai repped at Rover? Heard about that as a theoretical option, but haven't heard it play out in camp or perhaps just unmentioned.

EN: Some but they haven't been working much dime yet.

Q: The Anthony Cook development is extremely interesting. The off-season started with him being mentioned as good enough to beat out Kris Boyd if he was still here and the main reason was his consistency. Can a corner get the yips??

JW: 19-year olds can overthink.

Q: Under the hypothetical that all current QB commits stick and Roschon and Casey Thompson are still on the roster, who do you predict is the longhorns 2021 QB?

JW: Hudson Card.

Q: you said in your Wednesday team notes that it took longer than usual to hear that this team is “different”. What do you think that means? What’s the staff’s expectation for the season? What season from the past will this season most closely approximate? 2008? 2004? 2010? Other?

EN: That was more of a joke than anything. It's so tired and formulaic to hear "this team is different." I do think it's true, though. Conference championship and with a few breaks the CFP. 2010? Are you kidding me. Take a lap. I think they win the conference. They didn't do that in any of the years you mentioned.

Q: If the best Alabama OLs from recent national championship years are a 10, and the Longhorns' 2017 OL is a 1, how would you rate last year's Texas OL and this year's OL? The rating being over the season as a whole.

EN: Last year would be a 5. This year a 6.5. Next year an 8.

Q: If you assigned two separate scores on the same scale to this year's OL in terms of run blocking and pass blocking, what would they be?

EN: Hmmm. I think they'll be a better run blocking unit for sure but I don't think they'll be bad at pass blocking. I guess to keep it at 6.5 I'll go 7 as run blockers and 6 as pass blockers. Each might be a little low, but we're talking compared to Bama lines.

Q: Are Leitao and Wiley going to get meaningful games snaps, or is it the Cade Brewer show?

EN: Leitao will. They may try and RS Wiley but I bet we'll see him within the four game rule. Wiley isn't ready as a blocker. Leitao is serviceable (at best).

Q: On this topic, Liebrock?

EN: Same as Wiley. They should stagger them with the intent of red-shirting both.

Q: Cosmi, Angilau, Kerstetter, Okafor, Jones most likely starting line 2020?

EN: Probably.

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. Every team deals with injuries in fall camp. So far *knock on wood* we haven’t had a single injury reported that will involve missing game time. Guys like Sterns, Ingram, Shack can miss some of fall camp and it won’t affect their game.

Yeah, I would say we've been pretty lucky so far. No serious injuries it sounds like. Guys are going to get banged up in fall camp. 

Knock on wood. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

4 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

Didn’t look like the crown of his helmet nor was the receiver defenseless in that situation. He caught the bell like 7 yards before the hit

I don't know if it was targeting or not,  but it will get called nearly every time.  

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I haven't watched one of these videos without the room getting dusty.  The shock and joy of the guys getting the scholarship, and the joy/support of his teammates, hits me in the feels.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT mod Q&A about the team:

Reveal hidden contents

Q: Are aptitude concerns at LB in run support, coverage, or both?

Eric Nahlin (EN): I haven't heard of aptitude problems, just experience and maybe a dash of physical limitation with Dele. But Dele is moving better than ever -- went from running 17 mph to nearly 20 in the last year. Experience and aptitude aren't the same. Guys might know what they need to do but a little hesitation hurts them. The more they see something the faster they'll react.

Q: Simple question - is the MPH test here a max speed during a play? Curious if this is an indicator of acceleration/short burst more than tracking down plays/long speed.

EN: Simple question but I'm not sure. I think it's measured for many of them on kick-off coverage.

Q: Need to find a 7th and 8th OL. Who do you think has the best chance to fill those roles and how big of a drop off will they be from the top 6?

EN: Imade and Christian Jones probably. I'd bet pretty heavily that Jones starts at RT in 2020. He could be okay this year if they need him. Kerstetter offers a lot of flexibility. He can fill a hole where needed and then have Angilau come in and take his spot at guard. Kerstetter looked good at practice today at center, btw. That is very not surprising.

Q: Drawing from this quote and the quote later on in this thread about your belief in Kerstetter as a center, do you think Kerstetter is the most likely center in 2020?

EN: Unquestionably.

Q: What position group do you have the most and least confidence in for 2019 and for 2020? In terms of on field play, not recruiting.

EN: High confidence in Sam but not behind him so I have the most confidence in WR's (followed by DL) for 2019 and least in LB. 2020: QB or OL = most, DL = the least (have to replace TQ and Roach) That's a long way off and a lot can happen. (Nahlin later realized that TQ was a junior and would probably be returning for 2020).

Q: With all the sources saying the offense will be more explosive and score more this year, what are they citing? Are we getting that much more vertical in practice, is the quarterback that much more improved?

EN: Opening up the passing game, emphasizing the spread in the power spread. Better OL play. Great WR group and QB. Being able to motion to favorable match-ups. They feel they can threaten every level of the defense, including vertically.

Q: We heard about how the staff is confident in about 6 OL right now. What's the number at DL? I know you said the staff loves the first three, but how many do they feel confident about beyond that?

EN: No idea what the exact number is, I guess because they don't have a target or depth concerns. They know they can play Wilbon, Bimage, Jacoby Jones, Chisholm, Christmas, Ojomo, and probably Carson and Sweat if need be [in addition to Roach, Coburn, Graham].

Q: To get Jake Smith or Moore on the field would duv go to Z or come off the field?

Justin Wells (JW): Either or. Devin will play snaps at Z. Josh could be a Z.

EN: Go four wide and take off the Y. Eagles has to stay healthy otherwise that could really open things up for Jake. That would push Duvernay back to Z, imo.

Q: Who could be big for UT this year IF it comes together for him over the next few weeks of camp? (Excluding Braun).

EN: Jake Smith. I don't expect him to overtake Duvernay but he might force them to go four-wide a bit more.

Q: Are there any indications that this team would be the type to not let their foot off the gas with a lead and close out a game comfortably? Or is that something that's hard to tell until they're actually in that situation?

EN: They seem to want to bury teams if they can. They should be able to bury some of them for sure.

Q: Follow up question: How does a team develop that trait? Is it something that you can coach, is it about the play-calling, is it more of an intangible "you have it or you don't" sort of thing, etc.?

EN: It's having the more talented team and executing more consistently. Converting a few more third downs to extend drives. Before you know it leads to points. Having a good defense helps too. There does seem to be some psychological thing with Herman regarding playing up or down to the competition but I have no idea how to explain that.

Q: Is Kerstetter an upgraded version of Elijah Rodriguez, essentially?

EN: I thought Kerstetter was an NFL center coming out of HS and I still do.

JW: I wouldn’t say upgrade, but more talent, long term. ERod was a grinder. 

Q:Can you elaborate on Cook’s issues in coverage that are fixable?

EN: Mental mistakes. I don't know specific examples but that could be a lot of different things. He'll be all right.

JW: Yep, confidence. 

Q: Is Jones working at Nickel for backup or is it realistic he could start there?

EN: It's less likely if Sterns doesn't stay healthy but they weren't looking at it for simple cross-training purposes.

JW: Not a starter or backup, just a different formation, scheme/package. It might be genius.

Q: Is Cook running second string or is it preparation for his suspension?

JW: He’s running 2nd team.

Q: Do you think Anthony Cook wins back the job by LSU?

JW: I do.

EN: I kind of feel like Green will go to the field and Cook will get boundary, but he needs to get out of his rut. It's a mix of Cook being inconsistent and others playing well.

Q: As far as the juco backers, as far as early returns go who is showing more between Johnson and Mitchell? Who would you hedge towards best odds to start in 2020 once they are acclimated?

EN: They profile to Rover and Mac respectively so they could both start next year. I'm hearing more about Mitchell right now but Johnson has more athletic upside. Mitchell may get more playing time this year so that will help him. I think 2020 LB will be built around Tillman and Gbenda but it will be nice to have some older guys around too.

Q: Who’s showing better than expected and who’s been somewhat disappointing so far in camp?

EN: Most of the players we expected to have good camps are. John Burt has been better than expected. Maybe Moro too with his move to NT. I guess disappointing would be Cook. Epps has been quiet but I wouldn't say disappointing. Gbenda has turned some heads but I don't know what it will mean for this season.

Q: Has Ossai repped at Rover? Heard about that as a theoretical option, but haven't heard it play out in camp or perhaps just unmentioned.

EN: Some but they haven't been working much dime yet.

Q: The Anthony Cook development is extremely interesting. The off-season started with him being mentioned as good enough to beat out Kris Boyd if he was still here and the main reason was his consistency. Can a corner get the yips??

JW: 19-year olds can overthink.

Q: Under the hypothetical that all current QB commits stick and Roschon and Casey Thompson are still on the roster, who do you predict is the longhorns 2021 QB?

JW: Hudson Card.

Q: you said in your Wednesday team notes that it took longer than usual to hear that this team is “different”. What do you think that means? What’s the staff’s expectation for the season? What season from the past will this season most closely approximate? 2008? 2004? 2010? Other?

EN: That was more of a joke than anything. It's so tired and formulaic to hear "this team is different." I do think it's true, though. Conference championship and with a few breaks the CFP. 2010? Are you kidding me. Take a lap. I think they win the conference. They didn't do that in any of the years you mentioned.

Q: If the best Alabama OLs from recent national championship years are a 10, and the Longhorns' 2017 OL is a 1, how would you rate last year's Texas OL and this year's OL? The rating being over the season as a whole.

EN: Last year would be a 5. This year a 6.5. Next year an 8.

Q: If you assigned two separate scores on the same scale to this year's OL in terms of run blocking and pass blocking, what would they be?

EN: Hmmm. I think they'll be a better run blocking unit for sure but I don't think they'll be bad at pass blocking. I guess to keep it at 6.5 I'll go 7 as run blockers and 6 as pass blockers. Each might be a little low, but we're talking compared to Bama lines.

Q: Are Leitao and Wiley going to get meaningful games snaps, or is it the Cade Brewer show?

EN: Leitao will. They may try and RS Wiley but I bet we'll see him within the four game rule. Wiley isn't ready as a blocker. Leitao is serviceable (at best).

Q: On this topic, Liebrock?

EN: Same as Wiley. They should stagger them with the intent of red-shirting both.

Q: Cosmi, Angilau, Kerstetter, Okafor, Jones most likely starting line 2020?

EN: Probably.

3 hours ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

The fuck? 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Roschon hasn't exactly lit up practice yet, Casey we all know, and Hudson is already a polished guy who will have had a RS year. I can see the thought process.

IT has been way more lukewarm/negative on Casey Thompson during this fall camp than rest of the other sites. The other sites have been so much more positive about him, it sounds like the coaching staff is comfortable with him as the back-up to Sam.

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, markstanco said:
9 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:
Clean. Get fucked Amon-ra

I hope this is sarcasm. He launched and hit helmet first.

St.Brown made an unnecessary open field juke and got got. Christ, it's like some of you grew up watching 7v7 with EJ.

• Like 4