2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

I would like to see what he could do on punt returns. The initial nature of returning a punt is quickly dodging the first wave of defenders barreling down on you and then trying to get behind the wall set up.  His quickness and vision would be an asset.  Once behind the wall his size would then be an advantage.

But again, I am not a coach.

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'm sorry, but that's an extremely aggy response. "Yea you beat us, but we won a different game around the time you lost a game where several of your best players didn't even play, so HA!!" As much as I hate those toothless sister-fuckers; they got us in the head-to-head so they have the bragging rights until next year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I'm sorry, but that's an extremely aggy response. "Yea you beat us, but we won a different game around the time you lost a game where several of your best players didn't even play, so HA!!" As much as I hate those toothless sister-fuckers; they got us in the head-to-head so they have the bragging rights until next year. 

Eh, we won the Sugar Bowl and they pissed away their most loaded team in a decade. It's fine.

• Like 2

IT team notes

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

It took us a while before we got our first, "this year feels different" of August camp. That's probably the latest one we've ever heard but I give it some credence because of the reasoning. The previous group of seniors was seen as a bit selfish and more worried about their draft projection or individual play than team play. That checks out with a few of them, even some of the ones that are highly likable. It's a team sport and something our sources touched on a week or two ago, about the defensive linemen doing their job even if it means someone else makes the play, ties in.

Things are different for other reasons as well: Texas has a good and truly experienced quarterback for the first time in a long time, he has plenty of weapons, the offensive line is at least 'pretty good', and the defense is talented across the board.

Issues that could bring the program right back to reality are lack of depth and inconsistent play from talented players learning on the job.

The Kool-Aid runneth over, at least on offense, but remember this isn't us saying these things, this is the feeling of those much closer to the program as the season nears. If you want to know what people around the program are thinking, this is a glimpse.

OFFENSE

Sam Ehlinger: No matter how many people we talk to we continue to hear how dialed in he is. "He'll mess around and win a Heisman, this offense will allow for that." That's not a rigid prediction, more a disclaimer of him playing well and the tweaked offensive direction. We've heard from a number of sources who feel the offense is going to be much, much more explosive than last year. It won't be hard to top last year's offense but it sounds like they expect to skip a step.

Keaontay Ingram: He has to stay healthy but some are wondering if he's just always going to be a guy who gets nicked up. He's a volume guy who just always have overlapping ailments to deal with. There may be a hint of Malcolm Brown here.

Collin Johnson: He might go in the 1st round after all. At least that's something we've heard from a number of people (it's doubtful given the way the NFL just drafted the position). We haven't really bought into that so we haven't mentioned it, but what the hell, that's the sentiment behind the scenes. He’s peaking at the perfect time. He used to just out-big you, now he’s polished his routes, and boxing out defenders better than before. His strength (360 bench), wingspan, and coordination is syncing up. “He’s doing **** he’s never done before.” He's also become the second best blocker at the position behind Eagles.

Brennan Eagles: He brought some confidence to fall camp. He’s the fastest “big” WR they have. He somehow got faster, probably just from being healthy. Made a big jump from last year to this year. The funny thing about his speed is it's deceptive. You see a big guy and the corner thinks he has a bit of time, then in the blink of an eye he's open down the field. He presents a bigger target and catch radius for Ehlinger down field versus Duvernay last year. They're thinking they'll convert more deep plays here.

Devin Dunvernay: There’s no relaxing when 13-6-9 are on the field. They'll all block, they can run, and they have great hands. Duvernay in the slot presents a different type of difficulty to LJH last year, but he can still get the tough yards (not like LJH, but he's a plus in that regard). He's doing a good job of getting open and presenting an easy target for Ehlinger.

DEFENSE

The 3-8 look: This was used some against Georgia and something we've heard will become a bigger part of the defense given the abundance of defensive backs. It moves McCulloch and Ossai to defensive end with Malcolm Roach or TQ Graham at nose tackle. Overshown and Foster serve as linebackers and are the hardest hitters on the team in that order (Chris Brown is right there with Foster). It's important to keep in mind this is still a situational, 3rd and long, package.

DL: The staff loves the first three. Roach is the best pure football player/athlete, but when it comes to doing things the right way and being more technical TQ Graham is the better defensive lineman. Coburn is a year away from being possibly the best defensive lineman on the team. There's a lot of depth behind them with some of those guys looking promising, but they're still figuring out the rotation. Jacoby Jones has worked some at B-backer and would be a good pass-rushing option in the 3-8 look.

LB: Ossai and McCulloch are still the two best and then there's a drop-off. Despite the talk of improvement at linebacker (which is accurate) those guys still aren't where the staff needs them to be. By mid-season that might be different, but they're not quite there yet. When we talk about Gbenda and Tillman and say they're doing well, we should probably add "for a freshman."

DB: Sterns has to stay healthy. Like with Ingram there are some slight concerns. Sterns likely won't practice until game week. Overshown is comfortable at boundary or joker. Foster can play nickel, boundary, or joker. Chris Brown can play nickel, boundary, or field. Josh Thompson can play nickel or boundary. You get the picture. There's a lot of versatility. The two best corners are Jalen Green (#1) and Anthony Cook, though Cook has had more mental breakdowns than he did even as a freshman. Nobody knows what that's about but it needs to be fixed. They're small fixable things. D'Shawn also needs to be more consistent and not rely on his athleticism so much. He's great at jumping routes in front of him but tends to let the receiver get on him too much. Boyce may have the best natural cover skills of the group but needs to be more physical. He has put on some muscle. Kenyatta Watson is good (for a freshman) but like many young corners he's much more comfortable pressing than playing off.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Keaontay Ingram: He has to stay healthy but some are wondering if he's just always going to be a guy who gets nicked up. He's a volume guy who just always have overlapping ailments to deal with. 

Ed Zachary.

This is why I was looking at the idea of borrowing from the deepest and fastest part of the O and having Whitt and Smith on the field at the same time. Let them line up alternately at RB and Slot (or both), motion or shift (and then motion), even two-back... that is, when and if Ingram goes down. Gotta be some room for a microback in there. Or maybe Young... 

Bottom line, MensaTom absolutely has to be ready, this time, on accounta it looks like either we have the worst possible luck with RBs or Drayton has been hexed. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

It took us a while before we got our first, "this year feels different" of August camp. That's probably the latest one we've ever heard but I give it some credence because of the reasoning. The previous group of seniors was seen as a bit selfish and more worried about their draft projection or individual play than team play. That checks out with a few of them, even some of the ones that are highly likable. It's a team sport and something our sources touched on a week or two ago, about the defensive linemen doing their job even if it means someone else makes the play, ties in.

Things are different for other reasons as well: Texas has a good and truly experienced quarterback for the first time in a long time, he has plenty of weapons, the offensive line is at least 'pretty good', and the defense is talented across the board.

Issues that could bring the program right back to reality are lack of depth and inconsistent play from talented players learning on the job.

The Kool-Aid runneth over, at least on offense, but remember this isn't us saying these things, this is the feeling of those much closer to the program as the season nears. If you want to know what people around the program are thinking, this is a glimpse.

OFFENSE

Sam Ehlinger: No matter how many people we talk to we continue to hear how dialed in he is. "He'll mess around and win a Heisman, this offense will allow for that." That's not a rigid prediction, more a disclaimer of him playing well and the tweaked offensive direction. We've heard from a number of sources who feel the offense is going to be much, much more explosive than last year. It won't be hard to top last year's offense but it sounds like they expect to skip a step.

Keaontay Ingram: He has to stay healthy but some are wondering if he's just always going to be a guy who gets nicked up. He's a volume guy who just always have overlapping ailments to deal with. There may be a hint of Malcolm Brown here.

Collin Johnson: He might go in the 1st round after all. At least that's something we've heard from a number of people (it's doubtful given the way the NFL just drafted the position). We haven't really bought into that so we haven't mentioned it, but what the hell, that's the sentiment behind the scenes. He’s peaking at the perfect time. He used to just out-big you, now he’s polished his routes, and boxing out defenders better than before. His strength (360 bench), wingspan, and coordination is syncing up. “He’s doing **** he’s never done before.” He's also become the second best blocker at the position behind Eagles.

Brennan Eagles: He brought some confidence to fall camp. He’s the fastest “big” WR they have. He somehow got faster, probably just from being healthy. Made a big jump from last year to this year. The funny thing about his speed is it's deceptive. You see a big guy and the corner thinks he has a bit of time, then in the blink of an eye he's open down the field. He presents a bigger target and catch radius for Ehlinger down field versus Duvernay last year. They're thinking they'll convert more deep plays here.

Devin Dunvernay: There’s no relaxing when 13-6-9 are on the field. They'll all block, they can run, and they have great hands. Duvernay in the slot presents a different type of difficulty to LJH last year, but he can still get the tough yards (not like LJH, but he's a plus in that regard). He's doing a good job of getting open and presenting an easy target for Ehlinger.

DEFENSE

The 3-8 look: This was used some against Georgia and something we've heard will become a bigger part of the defense given the abundance of defensive backs. It moves McCulloch and Ossai to defensive end with Malcolm Roach or TQ Graham at nose tackle. Overshown and Foster serve as linebackers and are the hardest hitters on the team in that order (Chris Brown is right there with Foster). It's important to keep in mind this is still a situational, 3rd and long, package.

DL: The staff loves the first three. Roach is the best pure football player/athlete, but when it comes to doing things the right way and being more technical TQ Graham is the better defensive lineman. Coburn is a year away from being possibly the best defensive lineman on the team. There's a lot of depth behind them with some of those guys looking promising, but they're still figuring out the rotation. Jacoby Jones has worked some at B-backer and would be a good pass-rushing option in the 3-8 look.

LB: Ossai and McCulloch are still the two best and then there's a drop-off. Despite the talk of improvement at linebacker (which is accurate) those guys still aren't where the staff needs them to be. By mid-season that might be different, but they're not quite there yet. When we talk about Gbenda and Tillman and say they're doing well, we should probably add "for a freshman."

DB: Sterns has to stay healthy. Like with Ingram there are some slight concerns. Sterns likely won't practice until game week. Overshown is comfortable at boundary or joker. Foster can play nickel, boundary, or joker. Chris Brown can play nickel, boundary, or field. Josh Thompson can play nickel or boundary. You get the picture. There's a lot of versatility. The two best corners are Jalen Green (#1) and Anthony Cook, though Cook has had more mental breakdowns than he did even as a freshman. Nobody knows what that's about but it needs to be fixed. They're small fixable things. D'Shawn also needs to be more consistent and not rely on his athleticism so much. He's great at jumping routes in front of him but tends to let the receiver get on him too much. Boyce may have the best natural cover skills of the group but needs to be more physical. He has put on some muscle. Kenyatta Watson is good (for a freshman) but like many young corners he's much more comfortable pressing than playing off.

Media folks have been talking about this 3-8 package too much. I doubt we’ll see it very often, except on obvious 3rd and longs where the offense huddles, so they can sub. I think the package we’ll base in and run the most this year will be

Roach – Coburn – TQ

Ossai – Shark – Overshown (Joker)

Green – Foster – Sterns - Jones Cook

The beauty of this package is it can function just as easily as a 4 man front where you drop Ossai down to DE and that 4 man front plus one of Foster/Shark/Overshown blitzing would be a nasty 5 man rush on 3rd down. Plus, with Foster at Nickel and Overshown at Joker, you basically have a 3-4. Those two guys are probably better LBs than the majority of LBs in our conference. We’ll use Dele against teams that run heavier fronts, like LSU, but for the most part, I expect we’ll base out of the above formation a ton and can handle 11 or even 12 personnel just as easily as 5 wide out of that package.

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

A one point victory constitutes beating someone’s ass now?  Fucking John Denver aggy.

I am still pissed at BJones. If he hadn't gotten hurt falling over a flower pot or whatever we win this game without question. If nothing else, he would have easily been there to run Grier's punk ass down on that 2 point conversion. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Haven’t heard much this camp about Christian Jones, but he needs to be the guy to step up if a tackle gets hurt or kerstetter has to move to center. 

He's a true freshman.  It's probably a good thing he's not in line to play just yet.

20 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

He's a true freshman.  It's probably a good thing he's not in line to play just yet.

He’s a RS freshman, and the 9.95ers have been saying the staff thinks they hit on him since last year, including this spring. Similar to what was being reported on cosmi before his RS freshman year.  So I made a leap. 

Hope he and Moore only play in blowouts. 

• Like 1

The 3-8 is interesting. I’ve been a big advocate that the LB’s need to be much faster than what we’ve historically seen with Wheeler, etc. So from that perspective, it’s good. However, I’d rather see a 4-7, with 4 down linemen. Put Ossai down in the dirt every snap with gap control. Let the 7 go wild, and drop Ossai into coverage periodically.

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s a RS freshman, and the 9.95ers have been saying the staff thinks they hit on him since last year, including this spring. Similar to what was being reported on cosmi before his RS freshman year.  So I made a leap. 

Hope he and Moore only play in blowouts. 

I stand corrected.

I'm all for us to start churning out solid OL prospects again...

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Did you really just ask if there was video of something shown on sportscenter’s top plays?

I knew there was a video, but I googled "Cade Brewer Sportscenter Texas" and didn't see it.  My question was poorly worded.  Should have said "can any of you kind gents post a link for a dumbass" instead of "does it exist."

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

The fact that Collin Johnson benches 360 pounds is astounding to me.  Like...how?

Good for a 220lb receiver in general. When you consider how tall and long he is, it's crazy. You have to move that bar a long way at 6'6".

Unrelated, but Keondre Coburn is a massive human being. Good lord.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The fact that Collin Johnson benches 360 pounds is astounding to me.  Like...how?

It’s impressive but not crazy. 20+ years ago when my younger brother and I were in college, he would throw up 315 lbs a few times on bench. He didn’t even work out regularly. Give your average, in shape make at that age a Yancy to work with, and it can be done.

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s impressive but not crazy. 20+ years ago when my younger brother and I were in college, he would throw up 315 lbs a few times on bench. He didn’t even work out regularly. Give your average, in shape make at that age a Yancy to work with, and it can be done.

No. This is not based in reality and ignores the differences between the bar moving a foot v 3 ft

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh I'm not saying it's impossible or he was lying.  It's just damn impressive.

Someone with short arms will have an easier time benching that someone with long arms (like Collin Johnson) as well.

Edited by pearlandhorn

No. This is not based in reality and ignores the differences between the bar moving a foot v 3 ft

I will concede Mr. Johnson is 8” taller than my brother hahaha. But come on y’all, these guys live and breathe this conditioning program. Eat well and have the hormone levels of an amped up 21 year old. It certainly is impressive but not some crazy ass unthinkable feat.

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm glad the injury bug isn't hitting our most important players this year or anything.

Eh. Every team deals with injuries in fall camp. So far *knock on wood* we haven’t had a single injury reported that will involve missing game time. Guys like Sterns, Ingram, Shack can miss some of fall camp and it won’t affect their game.