Active Shooter - El Paso

Rip76

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We are also reminded that people live in a fantasy world where banning AR-15s will stop mass murder. If it worked, sign me up, but evil will find a way. 

If it makes us all feel better to do so, by all means stop production and sales of the AR-15, 3 year moratorium to register existing guns to a Federal Database and any other possession becomes a felony. 

It wont stop anything but people will feel better about themselves. And politicians will make bumper stickers and hashtags. 

*Rest in peace all of the souls lost this weekend and may their be a journey towards peace for all of those left behind. 

To me, it’s never been about “stopping” mass shootings. Seat belts & safety features don’t “stop” all traffic deaths, laws don’t “stop” all crimes. But if they can be reduced or mitigated at all, what’s the horror in at least trying to do something? Honest question. 

Again, why don’t you gun people just admit that you are fine with the status quo? Banning semi auto rifles and handguns would absolutely alleviate this problem, but you’re not willing to give up your dick extensions so just own that you accept mass shootings and gun violence as part of the American way of life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

What is with this right wing talking point of “stop putting the name of the shooters out there?”  

WTF would that do? What is the logic behind that kind of response?

If guys with names like De’Shonthony, Mohommad, or Carlos were doing these shootings more often you can bet they’d be the 1st ones calling for the names to be publicized.

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

To me, it’s never been about “stopping” mass shootings. Seat belts & safety features don’t “stop” all traffic deaths, laws don’t “stop” all crimes. But if they can be reduced or mitigated at all, what’s the horror in at least trying to do something? Honest question. 

You're on the right track and the few logical proposals offered earlier on registrations and tightening purchase loopholes are worth it also.  The mountain of gun ownership is far too large to consider an immediate and outright ban but some traction can be made by chipping away at that mountain without emulating some of the silly stuff on California's books.

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Again, why don’t you gun people just admit that you are fine with the status quo? Banning semi auto rifles and handguns would absolutely alleviate this problem, but you’re not willing to give up your dick extensions so just own that you accept mass shootings and gun violence as part of the American way of life.

Ban them both if you truly believe it would make a difference. I’m not advocating against.  I’m just saying it will solve nothing except changing the method of murder. 

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Because it’s not a real solution. It’s just not reality. Might as well pass a law banning whackos. That doesn’t mean do nothing. But there isn the political wherewithal or support to ban semi auto rifles or handguns. Your all or nothing thought process rewards you with nothing. 

16 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

No. It’s nice to not subscribe to batshit crazy as an ethos. 

I can point to the mass shooter’s manifesto from less than 24 hrs ago as evidence, what you got in support that it is batshit crazy besides your opinion?

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 1

Because it’s not a real solution. It’s just not reality. Might as well pass a law banning whackos. That doesn’t mean do nothing. But there isn the political wherewithal or support to ban semi auto rifles or handguns. Your all or nothing thought process rewards you with nothing. 

Ah yes the old “banning semi auto rifles and handguns won’t alleviate shootings done by semi auto rifles and handguns” argument.

I can’t even with you people anymore.
  • Like 1

What is with this right wing talking point of “stop putting the name of the shooters out there?”  

CNN unequivocally said barely an hour ago they were not going to continually broadcast the names of the shooters after reporting them one time and now they’ve got it running in a crawl. Jake Tapper was very high-and-mighty about it too.

Personally, who gives a fuck if the name is said? I don’t think it matters one way or the other.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

CNN unequivocally said barely an hour ago they were not going to continually broadcast the names of the shooters after reporting them one time and now they’ve got it running in a crawl. Jake Tapper was very high-and-mighty about it too.

Personally, who gives a fuck if the name is said? I don’t think it matters one way or the other.

well it does matter because most guys that do this do it for the "glory". they are losers who want to go out with a bang. they see the national attention they get. they are copycats. take away the attention and you take away the main reason for doing it. but it is unreasonable to think that the media would not give them that attention they crave.

Edited by po elvis

well it does matter because most guys that do this do it for the "glory". they are losers who want to go out with a bang. they see the national attention they get. they are copycats. take away the attention and you take away the main reason for doing it. but it is unreasonable to think that the media would not give them that attention they crave.

Maybe. But after a couple of days, it’s out of my mind unless I look it up. There are so many these days, it’s hard to keep track. I can’t even remember the name of the Vegas shooter. For the dipshits you’re talking about they’re gonna know the name whether it’s never said on CNN/Fox or broadcast a million times.

17 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve argued this is our civil war.  It’s just manifesting in an asymmetrical way and we’re failing to recognize it.  We can’t keep treating these as merely crimes.  It’s something more significant. 

This has been our civil war for years already.  Know your enemies.

https://www.e-reading.club/bookreader.php/133469/The_Turner_Diaries.pdf

36 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Because then more people will google and find out they are mostly Trump supporters. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This thread is the perfect example of why discussion on the topic is absolutely pointless and worse vitriolic and serves only to further divide and foster tribalism in this country.

Someone I've posted with for nearly a decade and shared a ton of stories with responds not with logic rather by calling me retarded for my position.

When I take the time, effort and compassion to reach out to that person in IM and deescalate, he basically tells me to fuck off. This despite the fact that we have been in good conversation about life stuff for nearly a decade.

So, now, that person and I will no longer be communicating. I'm done with engagement about anything.

That's makes the world a better place right?

It's also the reason I've run out of fucks to give regarding this topic and these events.

There is zero chance of actual discussion. It's the same yay team bullshit, and if a large group of college educated people who actually at one point liked one another shit on each other about it... We are all fucked, together.

Good stuff.

Holy sand in your vagina. 

I always enjoy this "don't publish the names of the shooters" comments as a means to lessen the likelihood of mass shootings being thrown out by the same people who tell us banning certain types of weapons or amounts of ammo will do nothing to stop these mass shootings since the people will just choose other means to kill people in mass numbers. Prospective shooter- "I mean I was going to kill a bunch of people I don't know based on their skin color, nationality, sex, or sexual orientation as a means to deal with my inadequacies, inability to handle my anger, or the harsh reality that life isn't going to hand me everything I wanted on a silver platter because of my God given right to have all these things until I realized I wouldn't get my name published in the paper or on CNN. Dammit, foiled!". 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Ah yes the old “banning semi auto rifles and handguns won’t alleviate shootings done by semi auto rifles and handguns” argument.

I can’t even with you people anymore.

You can’t even, because you can’t be bothered to read what was posted. I said banning them isn’t realistic, and that there isn’t the political support or spine to do it. Not that it wouldn’t lower the number of mass shooting events. So again, come forth with something that can be done, because your obtuse “I can’t even”, all or nothing position gets you no traction on the matter. 

• Like 1

You can’t even, because you can’t be bothered to read what was posted. I said banning them isn’t realistic, and that there isn’t the political support or spine to do it. Not that it wouldn’t lower the number of mass shooting events. So again, come forth with something that can be done, because your obtuse “I can’t even”, all or nothing position gets you no traction on the matter. 

Hah you better get used to the idea because it will happen. The backlash is coming, the NRA and their ownage of the spineless GOP has guaranteed that.

25 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

One crazy person’s manifesto does not make you a target. 

Again, That is my evidence and I can point to trump tweets and actions for further support, you disagree. That’s fine, but  Show your work, please (other than just your opinion). 

I believe in owning guns to protect yourself from criminals. However it’s laughable to think guns could ever protect you from the government in this day and age. The Dallas police shooter was killed by an exploding robot. And an AR-15 in each hand will not save you from a drone strike.

The idea that you standing with an AR-15 or an M1 Abrams against any military force is silly, and it isn’t the argument. The argument is that a population armed can lead an insurrection and resistance vs an occupying or tyrannical force with small arms by using appropriate tactics, not by pitched battles in open fields.

That this needed to be explained is silly.
  • Like 1

The names aren't going to be a deterrent.

Now showing how they end up...might be.  Plaster photos around of the would-be Dallas courthouse dude, of him laying there with a bullet hole in the middle of his chest.  The photo of the fat-ass from the Dayton shooting laying sprawled across the sidewalk.  Broadcast the EP shooter being put to death.

The idea that you standing with an AR-15 or an M1 Abrams against any military force is silly, and it isn’t the argument. The argument is that a population armed can lead an insurrection and resistance vs an occupying or tyrannical force with small arms by using appropriate tactics, not by pitched battles in open fields.

That this needed to be explained is silly.

It’s an interesting fantasy for sure. Feel free to join us in the real world where your insurrection would be drone striked into oblivion immediately.

34 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Are you just completely clueless to how widespread these beliefs are at the moment?

They're not widespread.  You're tilting at windmills. Let's pretend for a moment that there's 10 million hardcore White nationalists in the county.  There's not. But even so that's like 3% of the population.  

41 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Again, That is my evidence and I can point to trump tweets and actions for further support, you disagree. That’s fine, but  Show your work, please (other than just your opinion). 

I don't tweet.  I don't have a twitter account.  I don't spend a lot of time paying attention to the absolute garbage that issues forth from the President on any given day.  But I am pretty sure that anything he's said that makes you think of white nationalism is being grossly misinterpreted to fit your needs.  He says a lot of stupid shit.  Everyday.  In fact, I'd prefer it if he'd just shut up, because I agree with some of his policies, but can't stand him as a communicator.

Btw, the white nationalism, brown people are targets, we're in a civil war hyperbole is a pretty sure way to lose the next election.  It's batshit crazy and doesn't play well with the non fringe members of you party.

• Fuck You 1

They're not widespread.  You're tilting at windmills. Let's pretend for a moment that there's 10 million hardcore White nationalists in the county.  There's not. But even so that's like 3% of the population.  

Thank you for acknowledging your ignorance on this subject.

I don't tweet.  I don't have a twitter account.  I don't spend a lot of time paying attention to the absolute garbage that issues forth from the President on any given day.  But I am pretty sure that anything he's said that makes you think of white nationalism is being grossly misinterpreted to fit your needs.  He says a lot of stupid shit.  Everyday.  In fact, I'd prefer it if he'd just shut up, because I agree with some of his policies, but can't stand him as a communicator.
Btw, the white nationalism, brown people are targets, we're in a civil war hyperbole is a pretty sure way to lose the next election.  It's batshit crazy and doesn't play well with the non fringe members of you party.

The poster that doesn’t spend time paying attention to what POTUS says is sure that POTUS’ racist comments are being grossly misinterpreted. You are willfully ignorant because the truth is uncomfortable for you.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

So no evidence? Cool. 

Also, regardless of our debate, this person wasn’t crazy. He is a terrorist pushing a racist agenda. 

• Like 1

I’ll point it out again because I know it pisses him off...
BurntEyes once told me to kill myself because I proved that he was wrong about something. And now he’s crying about people being uncivil and vitriolic. Fucking hypocrite.

He’s a fucking blowhard moron.

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The poster that doesn’t spend time paying attention to what POTUS says is sure that POTUS’ racist comments are being grossly misinterpreted. You are willfully ignorant because the truth is uncomfortable for you.

I'm not being willfully ignorant. I no more hang on Trump's every word any more than I hung on Obama's.  But when a person or persons start spouting white supermacy/nationalism, brown people are targets, low grade civil war in 2019?  I know you're a fringe thinker, and quite frankly need to misinterpret the comments.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I'm not being willfully ignorant. I no more hang on Trump's every word any more than I hung on Obama's.  But when a person or persons start spouting white supermacy/nationalism, brown people are targets, low grade civil war in 2019?  I know you're a fringe thinker, and quite frankly need to misinterpret the comments.

You already admitted you don’t pay attention so you have no idea what the fuck you’re talking about. Go educate yourself before speaking on subjects you are ignorant about.