Active Shooter - El Paso

Rip76

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I think the tactic of shouting down, belittling and throwing out the "racist" card on anyone who wants to restrict immigration has had an impact. Whether it is illegal immigration, cultural compatibility of Muslims to American values, etc.,  the liberal press, corporate America and the entertainment industry, have suppressed all talk about reasonable immigration and other social issues that conservatives disagree. If they provided a forum where both sides of the issue were discussed perhaps these deranged killers wouldn't be so deranged. They would feel like their voices were being expressed in the public discourse instead of being suppressed.

Such as the Wall Street Journal comments section?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

6. It'd be funny. We need more things that are funny.

Like make him wear a sumbrero and cross a shallow part of the river on a donkey funny or send him to a Mexican prison where they deliver hand grenade enemas funny?

29 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A lot of people who are generally against the death penalty seem to get in favor of prison rape, physical abuse, and/or murder in these events. 

I actually think mass shooters are the only people that should be death penalty eligible. Especially since there’s a mountain of evidence, videos, and confessions. They’ve also demonstrated that they’re the greatest threat to society, because they have killed citizens at random for no reason.

Id carry it out different though. You have a maximum of 10 years to live after you get sentenced to death. You get a 1 year stay of execution after sentencing. From years 2-10, you can be executed at absolutely any time. No prior warning at all, you might get waken up at 4am and get taken to the execution chamber. No last rights, no final statement, no audience. Maybe that happens within a month, maybe not till year 10. Every single second, perhaps for years, you’re just inside your solitary confinement cell wondering if you’re about to be executed. That’s how I’d do it anyway.

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I think the tactic of shouting down, belittling and throwing out the "racist" card on anyone who wants to restrict immigration has had an impact. Whether it is illegal immigration, cultural compatibility of Muslims to American values, etc.,  the liberal press, corporate America and the entertainment industry, have suppressed all talk about reasonable immigration and other social issues that conservatives disagree. If they provided a forum where both sides of the issue were discussed perhaps these deranged killers wouldn't be so deranged. They would feel like their voices were being expressed in the public discourse instead of being suppressed. Would that be a panacea and solve this shit? No. Do I think we should have some reasonable gun control, yes. We no longer communicate. Witness the CR. We no longer have community organizations. To quote from the WSJ:

"It is all-too-typical of most of these young male killers who tend to be loners and marinate in notions they absorb in the hours they spend online. They are usually disconnected to family, neighborhood, church, colleagues at work, or anything apart from their online universe. This is one price we are paying for the decline in what the late sociologist Peter Berger called the “mediating institutions” that help individuals form cultural and social attachments. These are churches, business and social clubs like the Rotary, charitable groups, even bowling leagues, and especially the family. Government programs can never replace these as protectors of troubled young people."

Cue the insults that from the usual suspects. Cue briskettexan going off on a deranged rant and calling me a terrorist.

Clearly you are the victim here. With all you’re “lets come together now” and crocodile tears. Lets all mourn and do nothing until the next time people die, then we can come together again and mourn and do nothing some more. 

Do you even recall the things you have said in the Cloak room? Or are you being obtuse?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A lot of people who are generally against the death penalty seem to get in favor of prison rape, physical abuse, and/or murder in these events. 

It’s not the death and abuse of bad people I’m opposed to. It’s the idea of the government facilitating it.  

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

They’ve tried to silence us there too. Removed the ability to comment on every article, especially those most newsworthy, to foster a safe space for the libs.

Does the disabling of comment features on large circulation (formerly print) media websites distill into a "silencing"? Sifting through the trolls and bots and all that takes quite a bit of doing for the staff and unlike the print media wherein a letter to the editor had to be accompanied by your name and location, that doesn't seem to be the case with online comment sections. Plus self-moderation just doesn't seem to work so well. So, if you want to be heard, write a letter and sign it. Perhaps that is part of the problem with the internet and its anonymity: everyone wants to be heard but few will stand behind and own what they say good or bad. What a world. What a wonderful terrible world.

For those of you out on that ledge, I may ask to join you but I don't drink the whisky much to my late granny's chagrin. I can bring beer or Dr. Pepper; your choice.

The folks defending high capacity magazines are complete frauds.  Once they get banned (they will), these people will send exactly ZERO letters to their Congressman trying to get them unbanned.  They will go on about their business looking for some other bullshit to defend for pointless reasons.  

This is known. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Most of my gun nut friends wouldn’t shed a tear if high capacity mags and bump stocks were banned.

And they don’t post on BBS.

And they don’t shoot up people.

And they might still vote for the fucking idiot.

But that is neither here nor there when I am reading this. Some target kids. Some target brown people of various sorts. Any fucking target Is not acceptable. Goddam. How the fuck to we fix this?

The horse is out of the barn but that doesn’t mean we can’t at least try something? Anything?

All you throwing your hands up in the air and acting nonplussed is a fucking terrible look. And I am likely more on your side than you would suspect. Really ratchet it down and I can still do what I am doing and enjoy my “rights”.

But come on. Enough is enough.

Even if it doesn’t work. I don’t care.

Damn

• Like 2

They’ve tried to silence us there too. Removed the ability to comment on every article, especially those most newsworthy, to foster a safe space for the libs.

The restrictions apply to everyone. When did this “new rule” start?

Wouldn’t it also silence the “libs”?

Also, maybe, just maybe, comments get disabled ALL OVER THE INTERNET once shit crosses some pretty simple lines.

But by all means, keep playing the victim card. Bless your heart.

11 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

This is particularly rich, given that you've asked immamac to protect you from the meanies on this forum.  

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 3:10 PM, elguapo said:

It’s an interesting fantasy for sure. Feel free to join us in the real world where your insurrection would be drone striked into oblivion immediately.

How long has our military been in Afghanistan and Iraq?   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

The fucking point you continue to miss is this is a niche product used in a tragic, but isolated event.  The capacity of the magazine had nothing to do with this tragedy.  For the third time now - ban them.  Go for it.  It will accomplish nothing.  No different than banning Pistol grips, flash hiders, collapsible stocks, etc.  

There's a reason neither the military nor LE use them.  Because they are worthless.  He also had body armor.  Not exactly a spur of the moment endeavor. 

41 rounds.  We have no idea how many of those were impacts.  Misses?  Pass-through's.  We know nothing.  Nor does it matter.  Want to take a wild stab at the potential casualty numbers of a shotgun with such close proximity?  Or pipe bombs such as those the shooter in FL had.  Even a novice can perform a fluid mag swap on an AR in under two seconds.  You think someone who goes to the trouble of buying body armor doesn't take a few hours and learn how to swap out mags?  JFC.

Fuck you.

The Police chief of Dayton;

"There's nothing in this individual's record that would have precluded him from getting these weapons."

That is unreal.

They way to preclude someone from getting these weapons is to immediately stop selling them. Would be a good start.

17 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

And I'll repeat myself for a second time.  Ban them.  Go right ahead.  Again, like bump-stocks they have an ridiculously limited application that a lunatic was able to exploit.  100rd drums jam all the time.  They are heavy, hard to load, hard to clear, and make up an infinitesimally small percentage of magazines sold.  You have this childlike notion that if a person could kill 10 people with 100 rounds, he'd only be able to kill 3 with 30, etc.  It doesn't work that way.  You have no idea how many round were spent.  If there were pass through casualties.  The report said "dozens".  Is that 2 dozen?  3 dozen?  What is it exactly.  

That being said, the Columbine massacre was carried out using one of the first guns sold in compliance with the Clinton era assault weapons ban. 

The capability of the weapon is in the hands of the user, not the looks of the gun.  You have no way to know how many lives, if any would have been saved.  But keep fucking that chicken and patting yourself on the back that you "did something".  

The statistics tell us that you're completely wrong.  Wanna borrow that chicken to fuck?

2 hours ago, scottsins said:

The restrictions apply to everyone. When did this “new rule” start?

Wouldn’t it also silence the “libs”?

Also, maybe, just maybe, comments get disabled ALL OVER THE INTERNET once shit crosses some pretty simple lines.

But by all means, keep playing the victim card. Bless your heart.

The WSJ has a center-right slant and the vast majority of the commenters are right-wing like me. Apparently right wing commenters do not engage in "thoughtful conversations". These were the justifications used for the change. " It’s a project we’ve been working on for months, starting with rigorous research and ending with a strategy to foster healthy conversations around our coverage. 

But at some point, we looked at ourselves and asked what we were doing about it. Were we providing a forum for thoughtful conversation? Were we providing an experience that interested most of our audience? Were we leading by example?

We decided we could do more to foster elevated discourse and to welcome broader parts of our audience to join in conversations around our articles. We kicked off a five-month process of in-depth audience research and news product development. It involved everyone from the Journal’s Standards desk, community team and numerous reporters to the product, design, technology, R&D teams, and the membership and customer service desks.

We know there will inevitably be a small group of people who may not like the changes, but there is a far larger group that would like to contribute to audience conversations if the postings became more thoughtful. "

https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/04/goodbye-moderators-hello-audience-voice-reporters-heres-how-the-wall-street-journal-is-refocusing-the-comments-to-incentivize-better-behavior/

• Like 1

Banning items such as high capacity magazines is not a fantasy world idea where suddenly these things are imagined to disappear.  It is about making things one step harder in accessibility.   Better mental health facilities, background checks, are all designed to make it more difficult to obtain and pull off.    Of course people could switch to driving trucks into crowds of marathoners or making bombs and mustard gas.   I wonder if there is something inherently different about shooters who are seeking an adrenaline rush and a false sense of power/relevance.  

I would rather everyone be forced to use subsonic rounds, but that is simply for selfish reasons.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

How long has our military been in Afghanistan and Iraq?   

Are you seriously comparing the war in Afghanistan,  a country on another continent where we have ~14k troops with limited resources, to a fantasy situation where a tyrannical government gains control of the US levers of power?

• Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The WSJ has a center-right slant and the vast majority of the commenters are right-wing like me. Apparently right wing commenters do not engage in "thoughtful conversations". These were the justifications used for the change. " It’s a project we’ve been working on for months, starting with rigorous research and ending with a strategy to foster healthy conversations around our coverage. 

But at some point, we looked at ourselves and asked what we were doing about it. Were we providing a forum for thoughtful conversation? Were we providing an experience that interested most of our audience? Were we leading by example?

We decided we could do more to foster elevated discourse and to welcome broader parts of our audience to join in conversations around our articles. We kicked off a five-month process of in-depth audience research and news product development. It involved everyone from the Journal’s Standards desk, community team and numerous reporters to the product, design, technology, R&D teams, and the membership and customer service desks.

We know there will inevitably be a small group of people who may not like the changes, but there is a far larger group that would like to contribute to audience conversations if the postings became more thoughtful. "

https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/04/goodbye-moderators-hello-audience-voice-reporters-heres-how-the-wall-street-journal-is-refocusing-the-comments-to-incentivize-better-behavior/

I don't see a problem with this policy, though. First of all,

"the vast majority of the commenters are right-wing like me."

if this is the case, then perhaps they looked at their reader demographic and decided that the comments were not encouraging others to participate which might cost them sales. Readers may go elsewhere for there financial news. They are in the business of making money even as they report on it.

Also as the article stated:

Heavy commenters are often not reading much of the articles they comment on. They go to the headline, sometimes scan a small part of the story, and skip right on down to the comment box. In a sense, some have more interest in having a place to post their thoughts than in engaging with the journalism.

That can be discouraging for discourse. Who wants to wade through the comments riddled with errors or 'whataboutisms' due to someone not interested in discussing the crux of the article?

And finally this from their new policy:

Some heavy commenters do not post original comments; instead, they stick to replying to other people’s comments. These “repliers” tend to have a higher frequency of breaching our comments policies (which bans abusive or disparaging posts) than do commenters who post original thoughts.

Dogpiling is a thing and I dislike it. It happens all over the internet, especially in echo chamber type forums. I do not oppose WSJ trying to put out those fires at all. Their media, their rules. Otherwise, it's just Lord of the Flies and I have always had a soft spot for Piggy. Let him have the conch for once.

16 hours ago, Chooky said:

Like make him wear a sumbrero and cross a shallow part of the river on a donkey funny or send him to a Mexican prison where they deliver hand grenade enemas funny?

I wouldn't do that to a donkey.

Anyway, I don't agree with the idea that this guy would get murdered immediately in a Mexican prison. Crime in Mexico is highly organized and oddly legalistic; he would stay alive and relatively unharmed while his "protectors" milk the shooter's  family of funds. He may even last longer than that, what with any deal tying his legal treatment to the personal honor of some high politico. Until it doesn't. Anyway, he's earned the right to find out.

4 hours ago, elguapo said:

Are you seriously comparing the war in Afghanistan,  a country on another continent where we have ~14k troops with limited resources, to a fantasy situation where a tyrannical government gains control of the US levers of power?

I know you are really trying hard to not admit you are wrong.   I am sure the US Military in Afghanistan had fewer resources and supplies, than the Afgans.  I heard those Afghan Airforce's AC-130s are a real motherfucker.  

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I know you are really trying hard to not admit you are wrong.   I am sure the US Military in Afghanistan had fewer resources and supplies, than the Afgans.  I heard those Afghan Airforce's AC-130s are a real motherfucker.  

I'm not wrong, you're living in fantasy land. Feel free to join the real world anytime.

Edited by elguapo

5 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'm not wrong, you're living in fantasy land. Feel free to join the real world anytime.

Haha.  Nice come back.  Might want to read this sometime.  I am sure its all 'fake news history!' to you as well.  The article leave out the Ancient Greek city-states using similar tactics; feel free to read Donald Kagan's book on the mythological Peloponnesian Wars. You know, when you are not dodging those afgan gunships.  

Haha.  Nice come back.  Might want to read this sometime.  I am sure its all 'fake news history!' to you as well.  The article leave out the Ancient Greek city-states using similar tactics; feel free to read Donald Kagan's book on the mythological Peloponnesian Wars. You know, when you are not dodging those afgan gunships.  

Oh a Wikipedia page and you are now comparing the Ancient Greek city-states to today. Your intellect is truly staggering.

4c5f7f4b9a2965890a81cfa5595c4d40.gif

• Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Haven't heard this POV before. Care to expand on it? Genuinely curious. 

Sure. It’s a bit off-topic but the context was when another poster mentioned that lots of folks are opppsed to the death penalty but have no problem with prison yard justice. So my take on that is that my opposition to the death penalty doesn’t stem from feeling sorry for the prisoner, it’s more a general belief that the govt shouldn’t be in the business of killing people and also that life without parole is far harsher than a lethal injection.  More than anything it was a statement that being opposed to the death penalty doesn’t necessarily come from empathy  for the prisoners

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Sure. It’s a bit off-topic but the context was when another poster mentioned that lots of folks are opppsed to the death penalty but have no problem with prison yard justice. So my take on that is that my opposition to the death penalty doesn’t stem from feeling sorry for the prisoner, it’s more a general belief that the govt shouldn’t be in the business of killing people and also that life without parole is far harsher than a lethal injection.  More than anything it was a statement that being opposed to the death penalty doesn’t necessarily come from empathy  for the prisoners

So then ultimately you're against the death penalty? Maybe I just misread your OP but it came across as being for the death penalty, as long as it wasn't done by the government-- an argument I hadn't heard before. 

On 8/4/2019 at 3:35 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

I'm not being willfully ignorant. I no more hang on Trump's every word any more than I hung on Obama's.  But when a person or persons start spouting white supermacy/nationalism, brown people are targets, low grade civil war in 2019?  I know you're a fringe thinker, and quite frankly need to misinterpret the comments.

Look at all these batshit crazy fringe thinkers!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/06/us/el-paso-shooting-latino-immigrant-fears/index.html

"We're all feeling it. We're all shaken about it," said Vicki Gaubeca, who lives in Tucson, Arizona, and is the executive director of the Southern Border Communities Coalition. "Rhetoric is enabling racists and white supremacists and people who hate the other. It has emboldened them to act out in ways that are extraordinarily violent and hurtful to our communities."

"He's encouraging this. He's sowing the seeds of hate here," said Asuncion Bilbao, a community organizer for United We Dream in Florida.
"This is serious," she said. "Something like this could happen again."
Just a few weeks ago, he told CNN he feared one day there'd be a shooting that targeted immigrants.
"Now that it has happened, it becomes more real," he said on Tuesday. "It's not that we're going to change the way we live our lives, because that would be giving into the fear, but certainly it's something that we need to be more careful about."
In Wisconsin, Christine Neumann-Ortiz said the El Paso shooting immediately made her think of what she's seen unfolding in her own community -- from hate crimes targeting immigrants to teachers from immigrant backgrounds facing bullying at schools.
"There's no question that people recognize that they're being targeted, that a lot of protections they had in the past have been ripped away," said Neumann-Ortiz, , executive director of Voces de la Frontera, an immigrant advocacy organization. "There is more fear."
"I always felt safe. And this was always somewhere where I could always feel confident that it would not happen here," 26-year-old Adriano Perez told CNN Monday evening at a vigil for the victims. "To find out that this was an act of domestic terrorism rooted in white supremacy ... was I think the real turning moment, where it was worse.
"Because now, he came here intentionally for the very same reasons that I love this city. ... He came here to attack our beautiful immigrant community where we care for one another, where we look out for each other."

Carmela Morales, 59, said she has been avoiding grocery shopping since the shooting. But on Tuesday her need for bottled water, ham and eggs forced her to head to another Walmart in the city.

She panicked in the parking lot when she saw a blonde man who seemed to be looking at license plates. She feared he could be another attacker, putting Latinos in his crosshairs.
"Now they are out, hunting us," she thought to herself, eying the man warily as she walked into the store.
The man turned out to be just another shopper, but still she rushed to gather up her groceries. Morales noticed some back-to-school deals but didn't even linger at the sale racks.
"I just didn't feel safe," she says. "I got my eggs, I got my water and I just wanted to get out of there."

"The people that were targeted were people that look just like me," said Ivan Flores, 27, an insurance broker in El Paso. "I have a six-month old [child] at home...I don't know what my family would be going through if they lost me and his mom just like three kids lost their parents here."

Another resident, Claudia Portillo, knows how fear can take over your life. She fled Ciudad Juarez more than two decades ago after her husband was killed to start a new life with her children across the border. She says El Paso embraced her family.
But now, the city that sheltered them feels different. They're more hesitant to go out, and they're searching for ways to protect themselves.
"I'm reliving those memories of living in Juarez back in the '90s. You are looking behind your back all the time," said Portillo, 52. "My children are grown adults, 29 and 27. They had to bury their dad 23 years ago and now -- oh my goodness -- it's here. I don't want it to be here."

Edited by elguapo

7 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Look at all these batshit crazy fringe thinkers!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/06/us/el-paso-shooting-latino-immigrant-fears/index.html

All of these.

I regularly shop at the Fiesta on I-35 and the HEB on N. Lamar at Rundberg.  Both of them serve a HEAVILY hispanic customer base.  The next time I pull into that parking lot, and walk into the store, do you think I WON'T be thinking of defilade and escape routes?

That's fucking real.  Pretty much every fucking hispanic person in the US is thinking in those terms now.  USA, 2019.  This is our reality.  I'm thrilled that some of you can scoff at it, as you aren't likely to find yourself a target.  For those of us for whom hunting season has been opened, we look at it a bit differently.  If you were any kind of American, you would too -- a hunting season on any of us is a hunting season on all of us.  But then, that's not the kind of country we're in these days.  Glad you're safe.  Good for you.

As for me, I'm going to go get fresh tortillas and some carnitas fixings this weekend.  I'll be sure to wear running shoes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

All of these.

I regularly shop at the Fiesta on I-35 and the HEB on N. Lamar at Rundberg.  Both of them serve a HEAVILY hispanic customer base.  The next time I pull into that parking lot, and walk into the store, do you think I WON'T be thinking of defilade and escape routes?

That's fucking real.  Pretty much every fucking hispanic person in the US is thinking in those terms now.  USA, 2019.  This is our reality.  I'm thrilled that some of you can scoff at it, as you aren't likely to find yourself a target.  For those of us for whom hunting season has been opened, we look at it a bit differently.  If you were any kind of American, you would too -- a hunting season on any of us is a hunting season on all of us.  But then, that's not the kind of country we're in these days.  Glad you're safe.  Good for you.

As for me, I'm going to go get fresh tortillas and some carnitas fixings this weekend.  I'll be sure to wear running shoes.

Dude, who is scoffing at any of this?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

All of these.

Shoot, I'm a gringo, but my wife is Mexican. I'll dang sure be packing and keeping an eye out for decent cover and escape routes.

25 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

What did Tucker Carlson say?

These kids need fathers! Hannity wants armed guards everywhere... they say very little of gun control or why its perfectly okay to sell mags that carry a hundred rounds. Fucking morons

29 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

What did Tucker Carlson say?

Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Tuesday night called white supremacy a “hoax,” comparing it to the investigation of Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election and saying it is being used to divide the country.

“This is a hoax, just like the Russian hoax,” Carlson said during a segment on his program. “It’s a conspiracy theory used to divide the country and keep a hold on power.”

That hoax just hoaxed 22 people to death.

And, you know, he said this:

The new audio highlights about a dozen instances of Carlson using racist language on the “shock jock” show, which he apparently called into for about an hour per week. In 2008, Carlson lamented that “everyone’s embarrassed to be a white man,” before stating that white men deserve credit for “creating civilization and stuff.”

In another instance, Carlson is heard saying that Iraq is a “crappy place filled with a bunch of, you know, semiliterate primitive monkeys,” adding, “That’s why it wasn’t worth invading.” That follows a 2006 segment on the show in which Carlson said he had “zero sympathy” for Iraqi people and their culture because they “don’t use toilet paper or forks.”

“They’re just so awful. Just awful,” Carlson said.

A co-host on the show replies: “They’re animals, dude. They are."

Fuck Tucker Carlson in his fucking ass.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

So then ultimately you're against the death penalty? Maybe I just misread your OP but it came across as being for the death penalty, as long as it wasn't done by the government-- an argument I hadn't heard before. 

Really? I’ve heard that argument a ton.

51 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Really? I’ve heard that argument a ton.

Just seems kinda pointless and definitely passive. I mean, if you're saying you believe in it but not the qualifications of a government to execute it (pun intended), who should do it? The victim's family? The government doesn't even kill anyone, a jury does.  

Nope. Ain't heard that one before...