Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also, I know that Durkin might adjust but he's primarily operated out of 3 man fronts. 

aggy better got those bags/NIL lined up to keep these DL on the roster. 

He's also a LB coach by trade with a little Dline experience so will Santucci or Robinson leave? Then that still leaves room for Jimbo to go after Kelly at S to replace Elko. 

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Other than that he was involved in a kids death, I don’t get the hate on Durkin.  He’s a good defensive coordinator.  They gave up any moral high ground the minute they hired Jimbo in the first place.  Might as well go all in.  

He's not a terrible DC but he's a big drop off from Elko IMO. I'm not even going to include his time at Florida because that was Muschamp's defense. 

Here are the FEI defensive ranks as a coordinator since then-

Michigan (19th)-

Ole Miss (118th and 35th) 

Durkin did a good job of improving the Ole Miss defense this year but that's not anywhere close to a home run hire especially when you factor in the part he's primarily operated out of a 3 man front. As somebody said earlier in this thread, his resume as a DC is actually very limited when you exclude the Florida years because of Muschamp. I don't understand this hire at all if it's true. 

Edited by texasstrong12

23 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Other than that he was involved in a kids death, I don’t get the hate on Durkin.  He’s a good defensive coordinator.  They gave up any moral high ground the minute they hired Jimbo in the first place.  Might as well go all in.  

From what I can tell he's never worked with these coaches (see PK 2021) and he's either running a system he isn't used to running or he's going to run his system and the coaches will be coaching a system they're not comfortable with (see PK 2021)

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's not a terrible DC but he's a big drop off from Elko IMO. I'm not even going to include his time at Florida because that was Muschamp's defense. 

I get it, but excluding the years he fielded top 5 defenses is somewhat disingenuous. Also, Elkos best years were top 30-ish so if you do exclude his Fla years, they are about the same guy. Well, except the whole killing the kid thing. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I get it, but excluding the years he fielded top 5 defenses is somewhat disingenuous. 

Durkin didn't field top 5 defenses at Florida. Everyone knows that was Muschamp's defense. 

It's not disingenuous at all. 

It's like giving Flood credit for offensive production at Texas. He's an OC with a title but he's not running the offense at all. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Also, Elkos best years were top 30-ish 

Elko had the 15th and 25th ranked defenses (per FEI) at ND/WF two years prior to A&M.  

Plus, Elko operated out of a 4 man front. 

That hire made a lot more sense than this one. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3262729

"You have to be a titanic moron to stack in depth the most elite d-lineman in the country and then shift to a 3-2-6."

Also from that thread, here is the spin:

Considered very elite until the Maryland accident. He was apparently poor at supervising some of his assistants. Typical rookie head coach error. Except this time the error had deadly consequences. He'd be an excellent addition to A&M's staff.  

Durkin was at best negligent when he was at MD and that negligence resulted in deadly consequences. There is no evidence he intentionally hurt anyone or acted deviously. Aren't we a country of second chances?”

• Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Durkin didn't field top 5 defenses at Florida. Everyone knows that was Muschamp's defense. 

27 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Elko had the 15th and 25th ranked defenses (per FEI) at ND/WF two years prior to A&M.  

I’m using #’s I’m seeing off discussions on rant, so I’ll defer to yours as I don’t have the will to look it up.  But either way I don’t much care because with the horses their brining in, even Manny _iaz could build something special.  He’s good enough to take legit Joe’s and do something.  

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m using #’s I’m seeing off discussions on rant, so I’ll defer to yours as I don’t have the will to look it up.  But either way I don’t much care because with the horses their brining in, even Manny _iaz could build something special.  He’s good enough to take legit Joe’s and do something.  

Probably so but if there's regression from Elko it's not a good thing for Jimbo unless he miraculously adjusts his offensive system. 

Almost the entire aggy rant board dislikes this hire outside of the resident homer in Hugh McElroy. 

17 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Considered very elite until the Maryland accident. He was apparently poor at supervising some of his assistants. Typical rookie head coach error. Except this time the error had deadly consequences. He'd be an excellent addition to A&M's staff.  

Durkin was at best negligent when he was at MD and that negligence resulted in deadly consequences. There is no evidence he intentionally hurt anyone or acted deviously. Aren't we a country of second chances?”

Texags has the biggest group of morons I've seen. 

In fairness to aggys, their SEC Rant board isn't bad at all and they're fairly objective as long as it's not a discussion about Texas. They don't constantly suck Jimbo's dick and call it like it is which is why it's not surprising they are very meh on a potential Durkin hire. 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

We'll see if affects recruiting but I'd prefer to not have to defend the "well you know about the son just like yours that died under his watch right? The parents never thought something like that would happen either"

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Ah yes, killing a player is a typical “rookie head coach error.” Move along, y’all. Nothing to see here.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Durkin is a good recruiter. That's about the only thing that makes sense with him being hired at aggy. 

That's what he was on Muschamp's staff (I.e. a recruiter). 

From a purely play calling/scheme perspective, it doesn't make much sense at all. 

They don’t need good recruiters, the way they recruit. 

• Like 1

The aggy SECRant thread is amusing. 

I'll gladly side with Lobo on this one. Not only is DJ Durkin a lame duck hire, but his history makes him a piece of shite. He was in charge of a program that got a player killed.

DO. NOT. WANT.

I'd much rather give Santucci the keys to the defense if Durkin is the only other alternative. No amount of Billy Liucci spin is going to change the fact that he killed a kid. We're A&M. I'm all for cheating, stealing play calls, or even faking a kid's grades just to make him eligible. But hiring a murderer or a Briles is where I draw the line.

And if that doesn't change your mind, then maybe the following stats for Ole Miss' 2021 season will;

#100 on Total defense
#101 in Rushing defense
#95 in Passing defense

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

The aggy SECRant thread is amusing. 

I'll gladly side with Lobo on this one. Not only is DJ Durkin a lame duck hire, but his history makes him a piece of shite. He was in charge of a program that got a player killed.

DO. NOT. WANT.

I'd much rather give Santucci the keys to the defense if Durkin is the only other alternative. No amount of Billy Liucci spin is going to change the fact that he killed a kid. We're A&M. I'm all for cheating, stealing play calls, or even faking a kid's grades just to make him eligible. But hiring a murderer or a Briles is where I draw the line.

And if that doesn't change your mind, then maybe the following stats for Ole Miss' 2021 season will;

#100 on Total defense
#101 in Rushing defense
#95 in Passing defense

And that guy was probably harassing the families of bonfire victims who threatened to sue.

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I get it, but excluding the years he fielded top 5 defenses is somewhat disingenuous. Also, Elkos best years were top 30-ish so if you do exclude his Fla years, they are about the same guy. Well, except the whole killing the kid thing. 

You should stop taking posts from aggy posters as fact. Durkin had zero to do with those dominant defenses at Florida. 

If aggy believes Durkin is a good hire because of defenses coordinated by Muschamp they’re in for a world of hurt. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Anybody trying to argue Durkin is a good hire is an idiot. His last top 50 scoring defense was in 2015. Yes, I know adjusted stats are better way to evaluate this but come on it's been nearly a decade since Durkin has produced a quality defense. 

Call it like it is. This is a fucking shitty hire and this board would lose their collective minds if Texas hired Durkin. 

This is amusing. Baylor dominated Ole Miss in the run game (averaging 6.8 yards per carry and nearly 300 yards rushing). Once the Ole Miss QB was out with an injury Baylor wisely stuck with the run game and kept things conservative. 

Somehow aggy thinks it's a good thing their DC just gave up 300 yards rushing to Baylor. 

That propjoesays account has also tweeted constantly about the Briles stuff but I guess he's now cool with aggy hiring a dude that killed a player. The hypocrisy will be great during this entire thing. 

Here's the Liucci spin on Durkin. He's essentially telling their board that Durkin isn't a splash hire and only has 1 good year as a DC. These fools are too stupid to realize that in Liucci terms this isn't a very good hire but he's trying to hype it up the best he can. 

Spoiler

Dude is a very good DC. Wouldn't be the kind of splash hire that Chavis (disaster) or Elko (home run) was but if you just watch that group play football and consider the lack of All-SEC or NFL talent he was working with and then combine it with the year one to year two improvement in Oxford, he did a very good job. And, yes, coaching defense while working for an offense that plays and scores as fast as Kiffin and Lebby do tends to destroy certain numbers and typically keeps your defense playing tired. Was impressive enough in one year at Michigan to land a head job in the B1G and he's a guy that Coach Sumlin mentioned to me more than once as the guy he should have went with for his last DC hire. Came extremely highly-recommended by Muschamp when he turned down the job.

• Hook 'Em 1

This Liucci spin is also hilarious in reference to Mason (who Texags wants). Unless I'm mistaken, Durkin's base defense has been 3-4, 3-3-5, and 3-2-6. The only time he's operated primarily out of a 4 man front was at Florida because ya know it was Muschamp's defense. 

Spoiler

Mason has spent nearly 95% of his snaps in a three-man front when not in short-yardage/goal line. His preferred style of play simply does NOT fit the personnel on campus. The Ags have absolutely incredible d-line talent stockpiled and have a roster that was built running out of a base two-LB set. This defense is built to win and to play at a championship level in very short order and it's built to do so out of a four-down base. Period.

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You should stop taking posts from aggy posters as fact. Durkin had zero to do with those dominant defenses at Florida. 

These were UF guys but point taken. Also, the mood on Txags has pretty much gone 180* overnight.  Dude wasn’t at fault at all for the death, was a media hatchet job, and Jimbo could have anyone and chose him etc. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

They are going to moneywhip someone good, aren’t they.  

If they were planning to money whip somebody good they would have already done it and certainly wouldn't let Ole Miss outspend them for their top DC choice. 

How can you reach the conclusion they're about to money whip somebody when they might lose out on their top choice to Ole Miss because of money? 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If they were planning to money whip somebody good they would have already done it and certainly wouldn't let Ole Miss outspend them for their top DC choice. 

How can you reach the conclusion they're about to money whip somebody when they might lose out on their top choice to Ole Miss because of money? 

You’re assume it’s money and durkin isn’t just looking for an excuse to not live in college station and play under notorious asshole Jimbo Fisher. 

If there is one thing aTm is consistent with its throwing money around after being publicly embarrassed. So yeah, I don’t think money-whipping someone is out of the question. In fact I think it’s quite likely, 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I mean really step on their dick and break the market again, like with Jimbo, or any other time they can’t convince who they want to come.  

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If there is one thing aTm is consistent with its throwing money around after being publicly embarrassed. So yeah, I don’t think money-whipping someone is out of the question. In fact I think it’s quite likely, 

I don't see it. The two names rumored have been Charles Kelly and Durkin. These are not big names you try to money whip. 

Maybe being embarrassed would change things but they don't seem to be swinging big for this hire. 

Similar to how they ended up with elko. He said no, they went to I think aranda and one or two others, they said no, aggy feels rejected and bows up and goes back to elko with a 2 million dollar offer or whatever and he takes it.  

they start off thinking they are hot shit, they get pissed on, get their feels up, and react by doing something stupid with money to get what they want and then pretend it wasn’t the stupid money that got them what they wanted but rather because they are hot shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Similar to how they ended up with elko. He said no, they went to I think aranda and one or two others, they said no, aggy feels rejected and bows up and goes back to elko with a 2 million dollar offer or whatever and he takes it.  

they start off thinking they are hot shit, they get pissed on, get their feels up, and react by doing something stupid with money to get what they want and then pretend it wasn’t the stupid money that got them what they wanted but rather because they are hot shit. 

Those are both legit defensive coordinators you have to money whip. aggy was swinging big from the start on that hire with Elko and Aranda. 

That's not what's happening here initially with Durkin and Charles Kelly. For whatever reason, it looks like aggy is after tier 2 candidates so far. People forget about the terrible hires Jimbo made at FSU and it's just as likely Jimbo will hire somebody terrible than it is he tries to money whip a top tier candidate. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Those are both legit defensive coordinators you have to money whip. aggy was swinging big from the start on that hire with Elko and Aranda. 

That's not what's happening here initially with Durkin and Charles Kelly. For whatever reason, it looks like aggy is after tier 2 candidates so far. People forget about the terrible hires Jimbo made at FSU and it's just as likely Jimbo will hire somebody terrible than it is he tries to money whip a top tier candidate. 

Good DCs can get paid in a lot of places. Only one place requires you to work under Jimbo and live in College Station.