n64ra

• Greatest college football game of all time
  • Greatest individual performance
  • Only team with two top ten rivalries
  • 4th best program
  • 4th best mascot
  • 5th best helmet
  • 2nd best restaurants

SI editors are idiots. Those should be ranked higher. And left off DKR the person and the stadium?!?

Edited by n64ra
  • Like 1

You forgot this picture:

210d90e2e96a92e1a3bc2e62459309d4.jpg

except the caption should have been:

Texas tamed the Tigers 20-7 on the road, and Bo Jackson was held to just 35 rushing yards against the dominant Texas front seven. After the game, a demoralized Bo Jackson said the Longhorns left him feeling “like I have been stampeded by a herd of cows ... They knew every play.”

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 3

I thought the lists were relatively well done although they suffer from both a recency bias and a desire to please everyone.

The Sooner Schooner as the No. 1 tradition in college football is idiotic, although placing OU as only the 10th best program in college football history is outstanding.

They pandered to A&M a bit by including the Dixie Chicken and College Station on the food and college town lists, but I can appreciate the desire of the SI editors to avoid inflaming (pun intended) aggy.

The Oregon love struck me as the strangest aspect of the lists.  The stuffed Oregon Duck ranked above Bevo?  The best mascot rankings are a two horse race involving Bevo and Uga and we all saw how that turned out in the Sugar Bowl.  Similarly, ranking the Oregon helmet at 4 in front of Texas is simply wrong.  The best helmets are Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas and everyone else.  

Otherwise, Texas was dealt with very fairly.  4th in the all-time program rankings is quite generous.  One other quibble is Auburn-Alabama as the number one rivalry.  I've never bought into it with Auburn as such a little brother.  I'm sure they would have ranked Michigan-Ohio State number one if Ohio State hadn't won the last 20 and Alabama wasn't in the midst of such a ridiculous run.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You forgot this picture:

210d90e2e96a92e1a3bc2e62459309d4.jpg

except the caption should have been:

Texas tamed the Tigers 20-7 on the road, and Bo Jackson was held to just 35 rushing yards against the dominant Texas front seven. After the game, a demoralized Bo Jackson said the Longhorns left him feeling “like I have been stampeded by a herd of cows ... They knew every play.”

I was at that game and darn near died from the heat.

How did College Station make the list?  Have they ever actually been there?

Oregon helmets in the top ten (which version?) is also quite laughable.  

The rest seemed pretty good.  ND helmets are blah, but I get the tradition and respect.  

1 hour ago, michaelpshayes said:

Barry Sanders season in 88 is the one thing on those lists that I don't think anyone should argue about ...2700 yards rushing and 37 rushing TDs  ...that's beyond insanity  

Yeah the numbers he put up in '88 were just ridiculous.

What was even more ridiculous was that he really only played the entire game about 2-3 times.  He sat out most or all of the 4th quarter the rest of the time.

Just looked at the top 10 all time list.

I mean... we all know that OU sucks and eats bags of dicks and what not.... but having them #10 all time seems pretty legit crazy. 

OU behind both Tennessee and Nebraska seems pretty nuts. How in the fuck is Tennessee in the all time top 10?    

Also, does any program trade on past glory more than Nebraska?  They haven't won a CONFERENCE title in almost 20 years.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

Pistol Pete is a top 10 mascot, probably top 5. These lists are clearly trolling. The Western Kentucky blob is a better mascot that Pistol Pete? Otto the Orange?  JFC, are they still pissed at us for exposing their "Dirty Game" article as complete bs?

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

LOL at Vince. We all know that Johnny Football beating the indomitable Alabama Crimson Tide was the greatest thing to happen since Jesus himself rose from the dead. 

Oh shit, you're right. I'll have the editors fix that immediately.

48 minutes ago, jinx said:

How did College Station make the list?  Have they ever actually been there?

Oregon helmets in the top ten (which version?) is also quite laughable.  

The rest seemed pretty good.  ND helmets are blah, but I get the tradition and respect.  

I wonder if Austin as a better college town or Austin with better eats will trigger aggy more. Oh wait, or any of the other lists!

23 hours ago, alincoln said:

I thought the lists were relatively well done although they suffer from both a recency bias and a desire to please everyone.

The Sooner Schooner as the No. 1 tradition in college football is idiotic, although placing OU as only the 10th best program in college football history is outstanding.

They pandered to A&M a bit by including the Dixie Chicken and College Station on the food and college town lists, but I can appreciate the desire of the SI editors to avoid inflaming (pun intended) aggy.

The Oregon love struck me as the strangest aspect of the lists.  The stuffed Oregon Duck ranked above Bevo?  The best mascot rankings are a two horse race involving Bevo and Uga and we all saw how that turned out in the Sugar Bowl.  Similarly, ranking the Oregon helmet at 4 in front of Texas is simply wrong.  The best helmets are Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas and everyone else.  

Otherwise, Texas was dealt with very fairly.  4th in the all-time program rankings is quite generous.  One other quibble is Auburn-Alabama as the number one rivalry.  I've never bought into it with Auburn as such a little brother.  I'm sure they would have ranked Michigan-Ohio State number one if Ohio State hadn't won the last 20 and Alabama wasn't in the midst of such a ridiculous run.  

Agree with all of this. DKR's omission is tough but who do you take off. I'd argue that Dr Tom maybe should come off this list because I don't recall any "innovations" from Dr Tom (and for his bitchassedness towards the end of his tenure, especially towards Texas). The wishbone was a revolutionary offense for its time and DKR deserves far more credit for that. But you could have 5 or 6 other candidates that could replace Dr. Tom just as easily. 

The Oregon stuff reads like Nike is a huge sponsor or something. Their helmet design isn't that great and pretty much everyone else on that list (except perhaps the paperclips) should be ahead of Oregon (because this is 150 years of history, not 20). Also the Duck mascot thing is a joke. The article even says its a cheap knockoff of Donald Duck. That should drop it out of the Top 25 or Top 50 altogether. 

On 8/12/2019 at 4:45 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Also, does any program trade on past glory more than Nebraska?  They haven't won a CONFERENCE title in almost 20 years.

5 NC's, best 5 year run in history, top 5 winningest.  I can see why you're jealous.

Behold the 10th best game of all time.....OF ALL TIME (I think I'm gonna puke)

10. LSU at Alabama Nov. 5, 2011

9-6

• Like 1

Jesus some of this shit is just downright terrible.  These are professional writers are they not?

4. University of Washington vs. Oregon State,

Oct. 19, 1985

Final score: 21-20, Oregon State

The University of Washington ended the 1984 season ranked No. 2 in the nation and headed into its opening game of the ’85 season with confidence, as its opponent Oregon State had lost by a 97-0 margin in its last two games. The Beavers were 38-point underdogs against UW and their starting quarterback and leading receiver were both out of the game with injuries. But with 1:29 left in the fourth quarter, Oregon State intercepted the Huskies four times, and blocked a punt and recovered it in the end zone to take the lead and eventually win the game.

That's a lot of shit to have had happen all at 1:29 in the fourth quarter

19 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Jesus some of this shit is just downright terrible.  These are professional writers are they not?

Some other gems:

- Trevor Lawrence delivers pass at home against Furman in first weeks of the 2018 season. Clemson would later go on to win the BCS National Championship.

- Alabama wideout DeVonta Smith (3) hauls in game winning grab against Georgia in the second overtime to win the 2018 BCS National Championship.

Also Lamar Jackson apparently played for Houston. And Ladanian Tomlinson for Tarleton State. And Troy Aikman was a "Broins" great.

Edited by satyanash

I support leaving off DKR-TMS. There are many schools that have better stadiums in terms of proximity to the field, sight lines, acoustic design for home field advantage, etc. 

The mascots that are dudes dressed up like Disneyland characters should not be in the Top 10, except maybe Stanford’s retarded tree. Ralphie the Buffalo should be in the top 4 with Bevo, Uga, and Mike the tiger. LOL @ no aggy dog on the list. 

2 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Well, you take out all the illegal shit, NC's and wins can't happen so you fall to 10.....behind Tennessee lol

soonercheating.jpg

I mean I’ll listen to that shit from Texas fans but Nebbish?  Osborne was Switzer’s bitch then just ran w that blueprint.  

Also Osborne and Paterno loved acting holier than thou while bible thumping.  At least Switzer wore that shit.

12 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

5 NC's, best 5 year run in history, top 5 winningest.  I can see why you're jealous.

I didn't say you didn't have great teams IN THE PAST.

Current college sophomores weren't born the last time Nebraska won a conference title.  

You were sinking into irrelevancy when you were running the Big 12's JV division with Bill Callahan and you're even more irrelevant since you jumped ship to B1G.

Our historically shitty program has been more relevant on the national scene in the past 15 years than Nebraska.  Let that sink in.

• Like 1

I mean I’ll listen to that shit from Texas fans but Nebbish?  Osborne was Switzer’s bitch then just ran w that blueprint.  
Also Osborne and Paterno loved acting holier than thou while bible thumping.  At least Switzer wore that shit.

He had a job to do and he was gonna DO IT BABY!

On 8/13/2019 at 3:12 PM, PencilPusher said:

Agree with all of this. DKR's omission is tough but who do you take off. I'd argue that Dr Tom maybe should come off this list because I don't recall any "innovations" from Dr Tom (and for his bitchassedness towards the end of his tenure, especially towards Texas). The wishbone was a revolutionary offense for its time and DKR deserves far more credit for that. But you could have 5 or 6 other candidates that could replace Dr. Tom just as easily. 

The Oregon stuff reads like Nike is a huge sponsor or something. Their helmet design isn't that great and pretty much everyone else on that list (except perhaps the paperclips) should be ahead of Oregon (because this is 150 years of history, not 20). Also the Duck mascot thing is a joke. The article even says its a cheap knockoff of Donald Duck. That should drop it out of the Top 25 or Top 50 altogether. 

Tom is hard to take off as his worst record as HC in 25 seasons is 9-3-1.

12 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I didn't say you didn't have great teams IN THE PAST.

Current college sophomores weren't born the last time Nebraska won a conference title.  

You were sinking into irrelevancy when you were running the Big 12's JV division with Bill Callahan and you're even more irrelevant since you jumped ship to B1G.

Our historically shitty program has been more relevant on the national scene in the past 15 years than Nebraska.  Let that sink in.

Just seemed coincidental that you chose N considering that there were 3 other teams who've got longer irrelevancy on the same list....or did you even realize that.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:30 PM, michaelpshayes said:

Barry Sanders season in 88 is the one thing on those lists that I don't think anyone should argue about ...2700 yards rushing and 37 rushing TDs  ...that's beyond insanity  

Barry was a monster.  When I was a JR high kid, I was able to watch him play at East high in Wichita KS. He was a JR, and fucking electric.  Every time he touched the ball, you felt like he was going to score.  He ran over, around, and past everyone.  I know it wasn't Texas 5A competition.  But you could see that he was going to be one of the best.

He played at North, unless you're saying you watched him play @ East?  I got a close up view of him when I tackled him my freshman year at BC.  Fine, his route brought him right in front of me and I got in his way, we collided and both fell to the ground.  I got credit for the tackle, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  His brother was a bigger beast of a RB in HS than he was, most people don't realize that.  He (Byron) had an injury filled collegiate career, ended up at Northwestern.  Barry really wasn't a "true" RB in high school, most just assume he was.  He lined up in the slot most of the time.  Dude from my team won all city running back that year, Barry was all city WR.  It was his punt/kick returning that got him noticed most, he turned into the beast RB at OSU.  His dad loved OU, wanted him to go there.  Good for Barry not getting stuck in that shithole and what happened during that time period.

Edited by mulletpelini
=========the more you know*