2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Don't forget all that water he draws from his creek....

Hell, hadn't even thought of that.  It's gonna be a real bitch when his upstream neighbor builds an impoundment, capturing all of that flow and leaving old Chrispy high-and-dry.  I mean, Chrispy WOULD be able to put a stop to that....if the government that adjudicated and enforced water rights still existed.  Damn shame about that.  This "F the government" shit sure gets messy.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hell, hadn't even thought of that.  It's gonna be a real bitch when his upstream neighbor builds an impoundment, capturing all of that flow and leaving old Chrispy high-and-dry.  I mean, Chrispy WOULD be able to put a stop to that....if the government that adjudicated and enforced water rights still existed.  Damn shame about that.  This "F the government" shit sure gets messy.

He’s close to 80, I don’t believe it would be a fair fight. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

More problems for DeSantis.....

New Q poll on the President in trying to figure out how strong or damaging his coattails are....

Oof.  Underwater in 15 of 17 demographics.  Only White Men and White No College are favorable.

(also, it looks like our bagging on the olds might be a little misplaced).

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Oof.  Underwater in 15 of 17 demographics.  Only White Men and White No College are favorable.

(also, it looks like our bagging on the olds might be a little misplaced).

Well, it's interesting.  Their approval is actually still on the high side (42 and 40).  BUT, their disapproval is ALSO on the high side (55 and 56).  That's because, like 'em or not, old folks MAKE UP THEIR MINDS.  Only 3-4% undecided, vs. 11-12% undecided in the younger groups.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

No polls, but CNN is talking about the money angle of Cruz/Beto.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/10/politics/ted-cruz-beto-orourke-texas-senate/index.html

I've always said that was Beto's main objective in this race--to play the role of SMS Derffliger at the Battle of Jutland.  Draw the enemy fire so that the rest of the fleet can escape.  

If Beto forces the Republicans to spend $10M that would have otherwise gone to defeating Heitkamp and Donnelly, then his campaign is a huge success irrespective of the final polling.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I've always said that was Beto's main objective in this race--to play the role of SMS Derffliger at the Battle of Jutland.  Draw the enemy fire so that the rest of the fleet can escape.  

If Beto forces the Republicans to spend $10M that would have otherwise gone to defeating Heitkamp and Donnelly, then his campaign is a huge success irrespective of the final polling.

Wait until they see Beto's 3rd quarter numbers. I was guessing that he would bring in 14 million after getting 10 million last quarter but after his viral video and TV appearances he could top that by a big margin.

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

The polls over the last few weeks show that people who voted for Donald Trump are starting to sour on him.

This is starting to happen. I think the triple whammy combo of the of Manafort conviction by a jury that included trumpkins, his shitting on war hero McCain (which I think is the biggest part of his loss of support) , and the Woodward/times op ed issue are starting to wear on even his supporters. They are even thinking enough of this shit, is Pence all that bad anyway? 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump will do his best to make himself look a heroic leader during hurricane season.  

Brace yourself for lots of self congratulations about disaster relief success.

It sucks that I’m this cynical but I’ve seen this movie before. 

It aint gonna work. The die is cast. The cake is baked, etc. etc. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It aint gonna work. The die is cast. The cake is baked, etc. etc. 

I agree plus the Puerto Rico failure will always be a counter narrative to any credit claiming on emergency response.

I was stating what I think Trump’s PR strategy will be over the next 60 days. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

You don’t know the difference between soft and hard water? How sad. 

Yeah ya got me Chrispy. I don’t know the difference between soft and hard water and am really really sorry you’re sad about it. With every sentence you out yourself as a troll to the entire board though, so just keep on typing. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah ya got me Chrispy. I don’t know the difference between soft and hard water and am really really sorry you’re sad about it. With every sentence you out yourself as a troll to the entire board though, so just keep on typing. 

You’ll figure that sort of stuff out once you get out of college and purchase a home, etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

You’ll figure that sort of stuff out once you get out of college and purchase a home, etc. 

Education and home ownership smack? Are we there already? Well this is fun.

So tell us moneybags, where’s your ranch located and how much of your Ivy League education had to go to spend to pay for it? 

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Education and home ownership smack? Are we there already? Well this is fun.

So tell us moneybags, where’s your ranch located and how much of your Ivy League education had to go to spend to pay for it? 

I’ve already mentioned my ranch is close to Bandera. I’m not getting into the amount of money though, that’s too personal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I’ve already mentioned my ranch is close to Bandera. I’m not getting into the amount of money though, that’s too personal. 

Fine. But does your boss realize that you don’t speak like an American, much less a Texan? Are they ok with that?

Surely you can at least tell us what prestigious university you attended. Maybe that would help explain the mystery. 

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Fine. But does your boss realize that you don’t speak like an American, much less a Texan? Are they ok with that?

Surely you can at least tell us what prestigious university you attended. Maybe that would help explain the mystery. 

Well, you have no idea how I speak. For all you know I sound like Yomsemite Sam. 

Electing trump is costing rich gop supporters a lot of their own money now.   If they had found a way to elect Jeb, Walker, Rubio. Etc., I don’t think they would need to be writing these large checks in 2018.  

Bob McNair brought the nfl back to Houston but besides that he is the worst pro sports owner in the history of Houston.  And that’s saying something.  Hopefully his son will accomplish more than he did.

So, I really hope this doesn't become a trend...

A Castro Valley man shouting profanities about President Trump attacked a Republican congressional candidate who was working an election booth at a town festival, threatening him and trying to stab him with a switchblade, authorities and the candidate said Tuesday.

Farzad Vincent Fazeli, 35, was jailed after the alleged Sunday attack on Rudy Peters at the Castro Valley Fall Festival. Alameda County prosecutors charged Fazeli on Tuesday with a felony count of making criminal threats and misdemeanor counts of exhibiting a deadly weapon and possessing a switchblade.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Castro-Valley-festival-stab-attempted-rudy-peters-13221444.php

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Electing trump is costing rich gop supporters a lot of their own money now.   If they had found a way to elect Jeb, Walker, Rubio. Etc., I don’t think they would need to be writing these large checks in 2018.  

Bob McNair brought the nfl back to Houston but besides that he is the worst pro sports owner in the history of Houston.  And that’s saying something.  Hopefully his son will accomplish more than he did.

Bud Adams took the Oilers away. Nobody can be worse. He was a competent team owner though. McNair isn't.

2 hours ago, troph said:

Let’s elaborate on this - what does he mean? I mean I get the basic meaning of a parliamentary party etc but what does he mean vote like they are?

I interpreted it as meaning that individuals don't matter, only party.  There is no internal tug back and forth within the R party.  They act like it, but when it comes to voting time, they know they are all on the same team. 

I don't really know how that means parliamentary though.  That's kind of the opposite, where PM Trump would hope to avoid a no confidence votes of Lord Cruz.  It is very clear that the legislature is trying to show legitimacy by getting the approval of Trump.

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

42 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Scott has to cringe every time Trump brings up what a great job the federal govt did in post-Maria Puerto Rico.  Scott could normally use it to say that the federal govt failed, which included Nelson while he, Scott, will help PR when he becomes senator for FL.  However that would potentially put Scott in the crosshairs of Trump and his hard core supporters.