2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If the Democrats had a unified, progressive message that appealed to the youth, the youth would show up.

And a comprehensive GOTV program directly targeted at registering younger voters and educating them on the process. If we had a viable democrat party in Texas to work on these things, Texas could be much closer to purple already. 

• Like 1

Congressional Republicans are facing a mid-term election wipeout fueled by voter resistance to President Donald Trump, according to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

The survey, six weeks before Americans head to the polls, shows Democrats leading Republicans by 52 percent to 40 percent for control of Congress. If it holds, that 12 percentage point margin would suggest a "blue wave" large enough to switch control of not just the House but also the Senate.

---

Among white college graduates, a group Republicans carried by nine points in 2014 mid-term elections, Republicans now trail by 15 points. Among white women without college degrees, a group Republicans carried by 10 points in 2014, Republicans now trail by five points.

"The Republican coalition is, at the moment, unhinged," said McInturff, the Republican pollster. The party's erosion among women voters heightens the potential risk for Republicans in the ongoing furor over sexual assault allegations against Trump's Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/23/gop-eyes-midterm-disaster-democrats-take-12-point-lead-nbc-wsj-poll.html

Edited by cactusflinthead

That video isn't conclusive.  Was he CAUGHT with that pen?  Not saying he isn't a POS, just looking for the whole story.
As a side note,  what kinda person carries a $1k pen?

This isn’t a new story. It can up four years ago. He definitely stole the pen.

It was a graduation present from law school from whom it was stolen. He found it by reviewing the security tapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few days before New Years 2015 I was at a fancy open bar holiday party in Preston Hollow and found myself in conversation with some big money Republican donors who had supported Dan Branch and were beside themselves about how crooked Ken Paxton was and what it meant to have a crook for a state attorney general.

So I said “wait, are you saying you supported Sam Houston (the Dem nominee) in the general?”

There was a long pause and one said, “No, but I only gave the Paxton campaign $100.”

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

A few days before New Years 2015 I was at a fancy open bar holiday party in Preston Hollow and found myself in conversation with some big money Republican donors who had supported Dan Branch and were beside themselves about how crooked Ken Paxton was and what it meant to have a crook for a state attorney general.

So I said “wait, are you saying you supported Sam Houston (the Dem nominee) in the general?”

There was a long pause and one said, “No, but I only gave the Paxton campaign $100.”

That is why all efforts to sway republicans should be abandoned. Focus every effort in engaging the chronically disengaged voter. They will vote for the guy even when they know he is a crook.

• Like 3

DeSantis is a great example of what happens when a smart well educated politician tries play Trump politics.  They don’t understand you have to be a legitimate dumbass racist buffoon to pull off the Trump playbook.
Steve Bannon put it best in the Woodward book when he was coaching Trump.  Bannon told Trump he came off as genuine because his statements were so obviously not politically calculated.  It’s what distinguished him from Hillary the most.  
Hillary’s public statements were so calculated, measured, and focus group tested that even when she was telling the truth it sounded like a lie.  People were turned off by that kind of mechanical poli-speak.  Trump could say anything he wanted and seem more credible when juxtaposed with Hillary talk. 
DeSantis tried to cross the streams with Trump and calculated dog whistling and he self destructed. 

I wish I shared your confidence. It’s just as likely it represents a softening of support after he refused to go all in on Trump’s comments on Puerto Rico. Trump is the wedge issue and I haven’t figured out if it’s more damaging to agree with his nonsense or to try to seem reasonably sane.

20 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That reminds me...I need to give Justin Nelson some money. 

• Like 3

Look at this fucking dingus.  Claire should tell him to withdraw Missouri from the lawsuit or shut the fuck up.

The GOP senate candidate from Missouri said in a new ad that he supports forcing insurance companies to cover preexisting conditions, even as he takes part in a lawsuit that would overturn those protections in ObamaCare.

Josh Hawley, Missouri's attorney general, who is running against vulnerable incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill, said in the ad released Monday that his oldest son has a rare chronic disease — a preexisting condition, he notes. ...

But Hawley is part of a coalition of 20 Republican attorneys general suing to overturn ObamaCare.

The lawsuit, led by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, argues that since Congress repealed ObamaCare's individual mandate last year, the rest of the law should be struck down, including protections for those with pre-existing conditions.

On 9/24/2018 at 3:00 PM, retread said:

i hope this is wrong.  i'd like to think the dems changes are better than that.  however, after hillary's loss i'm not counting my chickens.   anything can happen, and there's still lots of time.

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

i hope this is wrong.  i'd like to think the dems changes are better than that.  however, after hillary's loss i'm not counting my chickens.   anything can happen, and there's still lots of time.

Those are actually pretty good odds considering the map and how many Democrats are defending seats in states that went for Trump.

If Democrats come up short this year, the map is just as bad for Republicans in 2020. That's the year that both houses of Congress and the White House are very likely to wind up in the hands of the Democratic Party. That will be the end result of Donald Trump winning in 2016.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Those are actually pretty good odds considering the map and how many Democrats are defending seats in states that went for Trump.

If Democrats come up short this year, the map is just as bad for Republicans in 2020. That's the year that both houses of Congress and the White House are very likely to wind up in the hands of the Democratic Party. That will be the end result of Donald Trump winning in 2016.

i totally disagree.  the end result of trump winning in 2016 needs to be right now or never at all.  2020 will be way too late.  the time is now to take back both houses.   

5 minutes ago, Stringer said:

If this Q poll is close to right, that would be huge for the D's.  It has Nelson +7 on Scott in Florida.  They need to hold SD, Missouri and Florida to have a shot at taking the Senate.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news-campaigns/408308-poll-nelson-leads-scott-in-florida

There's an NBC/Marist one coming out in about 15 min.

They also had Sinema (AZ) up 3.  Could be a good polling day.

Also, North Dakota, not South Dakota.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know Trump and McConnell will whine that Dems are using (making up) this Kavanaugh issue for political gains.     And why shouldn't they leverage a situation for their own goals?  Are they saying that they wouldn't do the same?   They're doing it as well.

Imagine if the same allegations were made about Merrick Garland.  How would the Republicans handle it? 

25 minutes ago, Stringer said:

If this Q poll is close to right, that would be huge for the D's.  It has Nelson +7 on Scott in Florida.  They need to hold SD, Missouri and Florida to have a shot at taking the Senate.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news-campaigns/408308-poll-nelson-leads-scott-in-florida

NBC has Nelson +3.  Real movement lately since summer towards Nelson.  Scott has spent millions of his only money to be stuck in the mid-40s.

Gillium +5

Edited by Js1

40 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i totally disagree.  the end result of trump winning in 2016 needs to be right now or never at all.  2020 will be way too late.  the time is now to take back both houses.   

You might get your wish. Thursday is going to be brutal for Kavanaugh and the GOP. If they confirm him anyway, the Senate might very well flip.

Just got a call from RPM out of Montgomery, AL (with a Houston number????) polling me on my favorable/unfavorable rating for trump, which candidates I'm voting for in the state races during the midterms, my political leaning, and who I'm voting for between Sarah Davis and Allison Sawyer. 

Called on my celly

Maybe another poll coming soon, but RPM sounds like a right wang machine, no?