2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

9 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I’m no expert, but it seems like repubs only have 2 real days left to change the trajectory. Who really pays attention to the news over the weekend?  Whose really going to change their mind on Monday the day before? 

Repubs are running out of time. Point blank.

7 hours ago, GopherRock said:

Several friends who are/were active duty military are sharing a similar bucket of GOP trash called "The Truth About Tim Walz" attempting to Swift Boat him. Fuck that shit. 

It would help their case if everyone at the upper reaches of the Minnesota GOP ticket weren't total scumbags. 

How’s Keith Ellison doing?  I heard he is dragging down the DFL ticket 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Drink less. You’re brain damaged. 

Tell me where I’m wrong?

TN/AZ/NV should hold

IN/MO/ND/MT and possibly NJ flip. 

W.V. Mancin is in trouble too  

MI is also possible and who knows maybe MN since Keith Ellison is free falling.  

I’m not even counting FL

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, NameWithHeld said:

Tell me where I’m wrong?

TN/AZ/NV should hold

I’m not even counting FL

52 seems pretty easy.  ND is just about a done deal.  One of MO and IN probably goes as well but it's possible that either AZ or NV goes the other way. 

52 seems pretty easy.  ND is just about a done deal.  One of MO and IN probably goes as well but it's possible that either AZ or NV goes the other way. 

Sure—Heitkamp is done. Because incumbents have a history of losing when their party is enjoying a wave election. And anyway, she doesn’t have a history of outperforming her polls by 10% or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NameWithHeld said:

Tell me where I’m wrong?

TN/AZ/NV should hold

I’m not even counting FL

You serious? Manchin in trouble? He's up by like 12. You're not paying attention at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NameWithHeld said:

Tell me where I’m wrong?

TN/AZ/NV should hold

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema leads over Republican Martha McSally.  Nevada is too close to call.   You better hope that young people and Hispanics do not register in great numbers in those states like they did Texas and Georgia.   If bored Millennials ever actually register and vote, the olds are done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The Blackburn poll actually represents a tightening overall.  Having said that, Marist is a top notch outfit.  Blackburn clearly has a lead.

This is somewhat of a head scratcher. In likeabilty, she's underwater and he leads her by 13 points. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema leads over Republican Martha McSally.  Nevada is too close to call.   You better hope that young people and Hispanics do not register in great numbers in those states like they did Texas and Georgia.   If bored Millennials ever actually register and vote, the olds are done.

Snap! Just read this:  " In some states, especially those with hot races, the increase in turnout is staggering. In Texas, 332,000 voters under the age of 30 have cast ballots already, up nearly five fold from the 2014 midterms. In Nevada, the 25,000 young voters who have cast a ballot is also five times higher than in the same period four years ago. "

I guess it could be a red wave of Young Republicans.   But I doubt it.

19 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Sure—Heitkamp is done. Because incumbents have a history of losing when their party is enjoying a wave election. And anyway, she doesn’t have a history of outperforming her polls by 10% or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s also not a race with only one reliable poll and a bunch of low grade locals. 

When the head of the DNC, Tom Perez say "we always knew it was going to be close" is he part of a right-wing conspiracy?  Do you think the SF Chronicle is shilling for Trump?

With the midterm elections just days away, there’s little indication that California is seeing a “blue wave” of Democratic votes, at least in the early returns of vote-by-mail ballots — and in some key races that will help determine control of the House, Republican voter response has been strong.

Could it still happen?  Yes.  Is there any evidence that it is happening?  Not really.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Satchel said:

This is somewhat of a head scratcher. In likeabilty, she's underwater and he leads her by 13 points. 

She is just grossly awful in all ways. I'm sure Bredsen has tried to link her to the opioid crisis in attack ads, but if I were running his campaign I'd run nothing but ads on that and healthcare. 

2 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

She is just grossly awful in all ways. I'm sure Bredsen has tried to link her to the opioid crisis in attack ads, but if I were running his campaign I'd run nothing but ads on that and healthcare. 

Cruz is grossly awful too but looks like he will win. Millions of Texans voting for him just because of the R.

• Like 1

As polls are going back around to some of the house races, there is nothing to show that the gop is doing well.  Even some republicans from trump-won districts are losing.  Lance from NJ is from a upper income, conservative district and usually wins easily.

the “tax cuts” can have the opposite  for people living in high property tax states like NJ.

could be a bloodbath for the gop on Tuesday.  They should retain the senate with this years map.  

7 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I’ve always thought that when polls have someone at 50+ with likely voters a few days out, it’s a tough nut to crack for the underdog.  That’s one reason why I think Beto is in a tough spot.  It’s one thing if he was polling down 47-42 with likely voters. Instead Cruz is consistently hitting 51 or 52.  Converting undecideds at that point only makes the race close but not winning.   Hope I’m wrong.  Gave Beto another $100 last night to help with his gotv effort.

• Like 4

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve always thought that when polls have someone at 50+ with likely voters a few days out, it’s a tough nut to crack for the underdog.  That’s one reason why I think Beto is in a tough spot.  It’s one thing if he was polling down 47-42 with likely voters. Instead Cruz is consistently hitting 51 or 52.  Converting undecideds at that point only makes the race close but not winning.   Hope I’m wrong.  Gave Beto another $100 last night to help with his gotv effort.

This is the truth.

9 hours ago, NameWithHeld said:

The same could be said for people voting for the “D”

it could be said, because the types of people saying it have absolutely no reservations about total dishonesty.  like every single republican running on protecting preexisting conditions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

But isn’t Bredesen a liar?  Project Veritas showed the video of high level campaign staffers saying that Bredesen said he would support Kavanaugh but really doesn’t, he was trying to get moderate GOPers to vote for him.  The latest poll shows Blackburn up by around 9 points so that lie probably didn’t work. 

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Arizona just baffles me.  I can’t believe after all of her derogatory quotes about Arizonans that Sinema has be linked to including having no problem with people going overseas to fight with the Taliban.  McSally was a 28 yr Air Force Vet who was the first female pilot in combat and the first to command a Squadron in combat. 

Say what you want about the other races this one shouldn’t even be close   I have faith the voters of AZ will not make it close with McSally winning handlely. 

Then again I thought Texas would beat OSU without any problem  

10 hours ago, sushihorn said:

When the head of the DNC, Tom Perez say "we always knew it was going to be close" is he part of a right-wing conspiracy?  Do you think the SF Chronicle is shilling for Trump?

Could it still happen?  Yes.  Is there any evidence that it is happening?  Not really.

There's plenty of evidence it's happening. There's also plenty of evidence it's not happening. We've seen contradictory data and reports for the last week-and-a-half out of multiple outlets.

It's just that you're employing some of the heaviest confirmation bias I've ever seen out of you in all your analyses.

Edited by Huckleberry

11 minutes ago, NameWithHeld said:

Arizona just baffles me.  I can’t believe after all of her derogatory quotes about Arizonans that Sinema has be linked to including having no problem with people going overseas to fight with the Taliban.  McSally was a 28 yr Air Force Vet who was the first female pilot in combat and the first to command a Squadron in combat. 

Say what you want about the other races this one shouldn’t even be close   I have faith the voters of AZ will not make it close with McSally winning handlely. 

Then again I thought Texas would beat OSU without any problem  

That one is going down to the wire I think.  Much like Nevada most likely.  The fear about pre-existing conditions on health care is very real in Arizona and she is getting pounded in ads for her prior votes on Obamacare.  Republicans in general are shifting strategy to say they support saving pre-existing conditions just as much as Democrats now.

2 minutes ago, UTDD said:

That one is going down to the wire I think.  Much like Nevada most likely.  The fear about pre-existing conditions on health care is very real in Arizona and she is getting pounded in ads for her prior votes on Obamacare.  Republicans in general are shifting strategy to say they support saving pre-existing conditions just as much as Democrats now.

She wouldn't be crying about "getting her ass kicked on her healthcare vote" if it didn't matter A LOT.

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She wouldn't be crying about "getting her ass kicked on her healthcare vote" if it didn't matter A LOT.

Republicans wouldn't be shifting on pre-existing conditions like they are if they didn't already know it matters a lot to people.  You even saw Trump tweet about Republicans protecting pre-existing conditions.  It's a real issue.

9 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I'll be glad to ignore any heavily edited video that racist organization puts out.

Except that video wasn’t.  I guess the Think Progress talking  points didn’t mention that. 

BTW how is Project Veritas racist?   Please cite examples. 

Edited by NameWithHeld
Added information

That's probably overstating it quite a bit but is the exact reason that nobody knows anything about how these elections are going. I find it hard to believe that independents will break 67/33 for Democrats (that's an estimate based on eyeballing that chart to show 58/28 with 14 undecided and then assigning the undecided votes proportionally) but it wouldn't take that big of a discrepancy to overcome what looks like early voting Republican leads.

BuT rEpUbLiCaNs ArE lEaDiNg In EaRlY vOtiNg

If that's the margin of unaffiliated voters, Katy bar the door.  Don't be so surprised Huck, I doubt it's that high but independents went 55-39 for the GOP in 2010 and 54-42 in 2014.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I still question the polls if a lot of people don’t answer their phones and don’t have land lines.  You get people in their 60s like my mom who are naturally suspicious, they aren’t going to answer strange phone calls because they’ll get charged $900 by some Jamaican or Nigerian according to Facebook.   And good luck with the under 50 crowd.  

People in general are getting too many spam calls as well, so answering the phone to strange numbers is becoming uncommon. 

That’s true except our discussion about new voters and difficulty accessing them for polling. EV in Texas shows 10% have never voted before. The uptick in younger voters and the apparent smaller surge in olders. These polls are unreliable. Doesn’t mean Beto wins it just means we really have an unknown outcome in a lot of races.