Who impressed you the most tonight?

TexArcher

49 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

This has to become SOP. Make all recruits be of this sort, i.e. guys you don't expect to be here to play after third year - don't RS them, play them as freshmen whenever possible - few plays or a drive, then teaching moments on the sideline, then back in... So long as they're not liabilities, get 'em reps.

That's what they've been doing. Herman has already said he won't redshirt guys that he doesn't think are 5 year players. It's why guys like Jalen Green burned their redshirt on special teams. We just haven't had garbage time snaps available.

18 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

That's what they've been doing. Herman has already said he won't redshirt guys that he doesn't think are 5 year players. It's why guys like Jalen Green burned their redshirt on special teams. We just haven't had garbage time snaps available.

And it's huge that we did last night.

Think about how much we improved week to week last season.  How much could we have accelerated that if we'd been able to finish off Tulsa in the third quarter and get the youngsters some snaps?

That game is also a good barometer for how far we've come.  Game 2 last year, we led Tulsa 21-0 at the half and had to sweat out a 28-21 win.  Last night in Game 1, we led LA Tech 24-0 at the half then 38-0 after 3.  We're learning how to finish off overmatched opponents.  That'll help Sam and the other starters stay healthy and also get reps for the depth chart.  Double win.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Been mentioned multiple times but Chris Brown; dude is just consistently around the ball.  I used to say the same thing about Earl Thomas (obviously not at that level but...)

Ecstatic that for the first time in a decade I have confidence on our OLine.  No penalties, no fuckups, actual running lanes - that’s how Texas football used to be...

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

This has to become SOP. Make all recruits be of this sort, i.e. guys you don't expect to be here to play after third year - don't RS them, play them as freshmen whenever possible - few plays or a drive, then teaching moments on the sideline, then back in... So long as they're not liabilities, get 'em reps.

but cedric wasn’t ready to play vs OU. 

34 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Been mentioned multiple times but Chris Brown; dude is just consistently around the ball.  I used to say the same thing about Earl Thomas (obviously not at that level but...)

Ecstatic that for the first time in a decade I have confidence on our OLine.  No penalties, no fuckups, actual running lanes - that’s how Texas football used to be...

There was one false start. Braun looked furious at himself.

10 hours ago, fellside said:

The defense totally shut down their run game to the point that LA Tech had to completely abandon it.  I don't think our Dline is going to be good at getting pressure (the lbs and dbs will do that) but they were beyond solid at stopping a run game with only 4 or 5 guys in the box.

Agree with this. D line stuffed the run.

7 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Agree.

Some guys just have an understanding of the game. 

1 hour ago, Keef said:

Friend of a friend information relay here, but Roschon may stick at running back or wide receiver. He wasn’t looking good at QB - Sexton was playing at a comparable (if not better) level. 

If true, I'm sure Shug was aware and it played a small part in his request to play RB.

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'd also say Green showed out against their best receiver, which bodes well. We gotta get anyone else on the other side not named Boyce. Hopefully Washington wakes up and puts Jamison/Cook in there. 

Boyce should be buried behind Kenyatta at this point

1 hour ago, lulz said:

Boyce should be buried behind Kenyatta at this point

Boyce should be buried in a casket beneath Joe Jamail field and never to be heard from again,. But yeah, Watson, Jamison, or Cook would be much better options and far more talented at this point. Washington has to know he fucked up. Burrow will tear him up, and he's slightly better than J'Mar Smith.

For me, the clear winner is Braun.  The difference in the way he approached each snap versus the abomination that was Patrick Vahe throughout most of his career is night and day. Braun played with great strength and balance, but also had speed and reaction time to block downfield.  Vahe could do absolutely none of that with any effectiveness 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keef said:

Friend of a friend information relay here, but Roschon may stick at running back or wide receiver. He wasn’t looking good at QB - Sexton was playing at a comparable (if not better) level. 

Still think it would be a mistake to not give him another offseason at QB. The staff should’ve known he’d be rough year one. It was obvious from his HS film. He was always going to have to re-work his throwing motion.  

If they move him to RB permanently now after a rough first offseason where he’s changing his mechanics, then they fucked up and never should have made him our QB take for 2019. His ceiling is still way higher at QB. He has everything you want in a QB. Leadership, intangibles, work ethic, toughness (he’s already a better blocker than some RBs we’ve had recently), and running ability. The only thing missing is his arm, and while that’s obviously a critical component, I think you have to give it one more year to see if that comes along once he has his new throwing motion down. He can always shift to RB after that if it doesn’t work out.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Still think it would be a mistake to not give him another offseason at QB. The staff should’ve known he’d be rough year one. It was obvious from his HS film. He was always going to have to re-work his throwing motion.  

If they move him to RB permanently now after a rough first offseason where he’s changing his mechanics, then they fucked up and never should have made him our QB take for 2019. His ceiling is still way higher at QB. He has everything you want in a QB. Leadership, intangibles, work ethic, toughness (he’s already a better blocker than some RBs we’ve had recently), and running ability. The only thing missing is his arm, and while that’s obviously a critical component, I think you have to give it one more year to see if that comes along once he has his new throwing motion down. He can always shift to RB after that if it doesn’t work out.

Since the move was initiated by him, maybe it would be his decision to stick with it. Dude wants to play now and if he’s successful, he’ll want to keep playing.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I agree with this. If he sticks at running back, he will be the #3 or #4 back on the team.

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Since the move was initiated by him, maybe it would be his decision to stick with it. Dude wants to play now and if he’s successful, he’ll want to keep playing.

That seems like a pretty big mischaracterization. The staff had him practice there because they screwed up at RB and he told Herman he’s willing to play as much as needed even if he burns his redshirt, so he can save hits on his teammates. I’ve never seen any report saying Roschon told the staff he wanted to play RB instead of QB. That kind of leadership is exactly why the staff should give him every opportunity to pan out at QB.

if Roschon’s adamant about sticking at RB then sure, but I highly doubt a guy who’s played QB his whole life and dreamed of being the UT QB for basically laly his entire childhood is going to ask the staff not to be moved back to QB after four games.

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

That seems like a pretty big mischaracterization. The staff had him practice there because they screwed up at RB and he told Herman he’s willing to play as much as needed even if he burns his redshirt, so he can save hits on his teammates. I’ve never seen any report saying Roschon told the staff he wanted to play RB instead of QB. That kind of leadership is exactly why the staff should give him every opportunity to pan out at QB.

if Roschon’s adamant about sticking at RB then sure, but I highly doubt a guy who’s played QB his whole life and dreamed of being the UT QB for basically laly his entire childhood is going to ask the staff not to be moved back to QB after four games.

I haven’t followed the story that closely. We’ll see. I just want him to play where he’s going to have the greatest impact. Time will tell where that may be.

33 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

Agree with all of the above.
And Jake Smith is fast. When Sam gets the timing down, kid is going to ball out.

Sam couldn't get the timing down with Duvernay on deep balls all year last season, and he missed him on one again yesterday. I hope he doesn't have an issue making downfield throws to super-quick receivers.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Agree with all of this. 3 of our 4 QB takes in 19, 20, and 21 are athletic guys that are very raw as passers. They need to be patient with or it’s just a mistake.

Keeping Casey in for another year is going to be very important. 

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Agree with all of this. 3 of our 4 QB takes in 19, 20, and 21 are athletic guys that are very raw as passers. They need to be patient with or it’s just a mistake.

Keeping Casey in for another year is going to be very important. 

Definitely. Thankfully, it looks like Casey will get a good bit of playing time this year. That plus Roschon being raw as a passer should make Casey feel confident that he’ll be able to take over after Sam leaves.

On 9/1/2019 at 12:35 PM, VaLonghorn99 said:

So happy that CJ more than redeemed himself after the lost fumble. The TD and that unreal sideline catch were phenomenal. Hoping for a great year for CJ and this super- talented Texas squad. MVP however is still Sam Ehlinger. Great team win!

The sideline catch by Collin was terrific;  the pass could have been a little better but Sam was scrambling at full speed so nbd.

The TD pass AND catch do not get enough credit.  This is a pass most QB coaches wouldn't ask their QB to make.  But with the chemistry between Sam and Collin, this is what you get:  very tight window, ball thrown over one LBs head, thrown around another LB, and put in a spot where only Collin could get (who was more than covered).  Watch the replay from the end zone for a better angle. Might be my favorite play of the game.  Don't think Sam completes this throw or even tries to last year.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:52 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

1). The  O-line.    Much better in the pass protection packages, save a few times.   Will get better as the season progresses.  

2) Eagles-   We got three  solid bad assess who can catch the ball.  Just where we left off last year. 

3) Ingram-  His success will inch up in part thanks to the improvement with the O-line

4) D-line.     I like the attitude...   Needs to catch on with the secondary.  

All of the above, but I noticed one thing that deserves mention... there were several times when our OL was flat out NASTY!

Freaking loved it, drive those bastards into the ground.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 12:30 PM, Pam Cummings said:

CJ was so fucking physical. On the third down before he fumbled, they tried a quick slant to Malcolm Epps and he had such a big size advantage over the corner and he DIDN'T win inside. It resulted in an incompletion, setting up the fourth down.

The pass was another quick slant, but this time it was to Collin, who absolutely manhandled the DB off the line and it resulted in an easy completion. Yeah, he fought for extra yards and fumbled, but man was his physicality impressive.

Still re-reading trying to figure why this was neg worthy. Damn Iceman, did Pam Cummings butt fuck your mom or what?