Who impressed you the most tonight?

TexArcher

Roschon seemed much quicker to make a decision on which hole to hit and immediately accelerated through it. Ingram seems a little slow at times to see what has opened up as opposed to what he was expecting. But, I’ve actually noticed this about all our backs over the past few years and it makes me think it’s coaching. Maybe Roschon hasn’t been influenced by it yet? There’s a fine line between patience and the necessity to blast the open hole while it’s available (insert mom joke here).
The premier episode of Longhorn All-Access had a clip on this. It's coaching. Drayton and Sam both tell Whittington to slow down during practice when he hits a hole too fast.

16 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

It's not coaching, Herman's been talking about Ingram's lack of patience since he got here and talked about it again in last night's presser, there's no doubt they're working on it.

That’s opposite of what I’m saying. He seems to run to the expected hole and stop as if he’s waiting for it to open up and then shifts his attention to an open lane after he’s lost all momentum.

Just now, Sleepygrad said:

Did Epps do anything last night? I think I remember maybe 1 catch, but he was pretty quiet most of the night

It’s tough for him to stay on the field with the receivers we have. I do know receiver blocking looked much better last night and I’m not sure who all was involved on the particular plays that caught my attention.

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

That’s opposite of what I’m saying. He seems to run to the expected hole and stop as if he’s waiting for it to open up and then shifts his attention to an open lane after he’s lost all momentum.

You’re critiquing him choosing not to run full speed into a stuffed hole and instead waiting for the play to develop, then making a cut to the open lane?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sleepygrad said:

Did Epps do anything last night? I think I remember maybe 1 catch, but he was pretty quiet most of the night

He got jammed at the line very easily, so there’s that. 

I was pleasantly surprised at how often Sweat played and the run defense looked solid. Maybe my expectations for Graham were too high, though. 

13 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You’re critiquing him choosing not to run full speed into a stuffed hole and instead waiting for the play to develop, then making a cut to the open lane?

I’m critiquing him for running into a closed lane instead of seeing the open one first. By the time he sees it, he has no momentum.

Edit: I don’t think it’s a patience issue as much as a vision and decision making issue.

Edited by Casual Encounter
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Most impressed with Herman’s willingness to get Thompson some snaps. Ehlinger doesn’t need to take a meaningless beating. 

I also like that we didn't just run the clock out or take a knee at the end. opted to run it right up their throat for another TD. Those reps matter. 

38 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Roschon seemed much quicker to make a decision on which hole to hit and immediately accelerated through it. Ingram seems a little slow at times to see what has opened up as opposed to what he was expecting. But, I’ve actually noticed this about all our backs over the past few years and it makes me think it’s coaching.

I believe Herman mentioned in the postgame that Ingram still needs to improve his vision and patience. It was surprising because that seems like one of the strongest parts of his game. That also led me to believe that it's something being emphasized by the coaches.

53 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m critiquing him for running into a closed lane instead of seeing the open one first. By the time he sees it, he has no momentum.

Edit: I don’t think it’s a patience issue as much as a vision and decision making issue.

Was watching the game on a laptop with 2 little shits running all over the house and climbing on me, 1 screaming baby and in-laws yapping the whole time, BUT I had the opposite opinion. He seemed to me to have better vision and quicker decision making than last year.

now that I think about it, probably need to re-watch the game though.

• Like 1

Overshown - I knew he was bout that life, but finally getting a chance and doing it was awesome. 

Tim Beck/Tom Herman - finally a blowout with some work for the 2s. Mission accomplished.

Everyone on offense did exactly what I thought they could do. Props to Ro Jo for the Pass Pro. He's a badass, and an athlete. Would be awesome for him to house a screen pass for 80 yards against coon ass aggy.

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Was watching the game on a laptop with 2 little shits running all over the house and climbing on me, 1 screaming baby and in-laws yapping the whole time, BUT I had the opposite opinion. He seemed to me to have better vision and quicker decision making than last year.

now that I think about it, probably need to re-watch the game though.

He may be quicker than last year. My original post was comparing him to Roschon, who seemed to find the hole more quickly and accelerated through it.

1 hour ago, Chrispy_ said:

He got jammed at the line very easily, so there’s that. 

I was pleasantly surprised at how often Sweat played and the run defense looked solid. Maybe my expectations for Graham were too high, though. 

Graham’s never shown much on the field but everyone hypes him up every offseason.

He’s got the physical tools to be better, but he’s pretty much just a solid depth player as of right now. He plays too passive and stands straight up way too often. I’m hoping one of our young guns overtakes him as starter sooner rather than later. 

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

He may be quicker than last year. My original post was comparing him to Roschon, who seemed to find the hole more quickly and accelerated through it.

Didn’t get to watch garbage time but if true i’ll take that as a positive for roschon. Kid appears to be a football player. There seem to be quite a few of those on this squad.

After watching the game again, sober this time I did notice a few things that need to get cleaned up. Before the game thread people go and rub their bleeding vaginas and shit on this thread, this isn’t to hate on players but just commenting on some things that need to get cleaned up. 

Epps got jammed on the line by a guy who was easily 5 inches and 50 pounds smaller. He has to just murder kill through a small corner that goes to jam him on the line. If he cannot we just cannot use him on the outside. 

Dele really struggled identifying the play and making any kind of stop in open space. Maybe that is coachable or maybe we just need to get some other guys up to speed. 

Sam actually had a couple of WTF reads and throws. He missed Smith on a walk in TD over the middle. He also bizarrely chose to throw it to Smith once when he was blanketed with over the top coverage while Duvernay had 4 yards of open radius around him. Sam also bizarrely chose to run down field and throw his right shoulder into a block against a linemen that had no effect on the play. I cringed when I saw it again. Sam, please do not do this again. Ever. 

But that’s kind of nitpicking when you consider we played a very experienced 8-5 team that would have beaten half of the SEC yesterday and throttled them. 

Edited by Newy25

DevDuv, Rojo, Eagles, Ossai, Jalen Green..

The first shouldn't be a surprise, but he made himself a star for the first time tonight. Roschon has never played RB at a meaningful level yet looked at home doing it tonight, and Eagles, Ossai and Green flashed good things to come..

Of course there were others, but they performed as I expected. We'll see who our dogs are for real next week tho..

RoJo kinda reminded me of Chris Ogbannaya with a bit more pop in his step. Size wise they seem close, and Johnson has a bit of economy of motion in his run game. No unnecessary wiggle in his running style. 

Casey Thompson looks like he’s running in fast forward after watching Sam scramble. Whole different level of dual threat in his run game.   

41 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I wasn’t thrilled with our blitz packages, but our underneath coverage when we go to that 1 DL, 2 LB, 8 DBs third down defense has intriguing potential.  You saw it on Overshown’s INT when he was roaming the short middle where most teams would have a plodding LB.

I would bet Orlando was pretty vanilla with blitzes so that LSU doesn't have any tape of them.  No point in showing them before they'll really need them next week.

Edited by kevwun

CJ was so fucking physical. On the third down before he fumbled, they tried a quick slant to Malcolm Epps and he had such a big size advantage over the corner and he DIDN'T win inside. It resulted in an incompletion, setting up the fourth down.

The pass was another quick slant, but this time it was to Collin, who absolutely manhandled the DB off the line and it resulted in an easy completion. Yeah, he fought for extra yards and fumbled, but man was his physicality impressive.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

CJ was so fucking physical. On the third down before he fumbled, they tried a quick slant to Malcolm Epps and he had such a big size advantage over the corner and he DIDN'T win inside. It resulted in an incompletion, setting up the fourth down.

The pass was another quick slant, but this time it was to Collin, who absolutely manhandled the DB off the line and it resulted in an easy completion. Yeah, he fought for extra yards and fumbled, but man was his physicality impressive.

So happy that CJ more than redeemed himself after the lost fumble. The TD and that unreal sideline catch were phenomenal. Hoping for a great year for CJ and this super- talented Texas squad. MVP however is still Sam Ehlinger. Great team win!

Edited by VaLonghorn99

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

he's not waiting for the play to develop, he's jump cutting behind the line when he doesn't need to, these exciting 7 yard gains are going to turn into taking it to the house when he gets it.

• Like 1

The defense totally shut down their run game to the point that LA Tech had to completely abandon it.  I don't think our Dline is going to be good at getting pressure (the lbs and dbs will do that) but they were beyond solid at stopping a run game with only 4 or 5 guys in the box.

Adeoye looked faster than I expected as well.

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Roschon seemed much quicker to make a decision on which hole to hit and immediately accelerated through it. Ingram seems a little slow at times to see what has opened up as opposed to what he was expecting. But, I’ve actually noticed this about all our backs over the past few years and it makes me think it’s coaching. Maybe Roschon hasn’t been influenced by it yet? There’s a fine line between patience and the necessity to blast the open hole while it’s available (insert mom joke here).

Agreed. Watch Trey Watson last season and it's largely why he was the most consistent up the middle. Perhaps the coaches overemphasize the notion of waiting for blocks and holes to develop to keep the message simple. Trey Watson already had defined his technique before ever taking a snap at Texas. Watson also tended to hit the holes with a more overall forward lean, less bend at the hips, whereas Keoantay more upright.

This has to become SOP. Make all recruits be of this sort, i.e. guys you don't expect to be here to play after third year - don't RS them, play them as freshmen whenever possible - few plays or a drive, then teaching moments on the sideline, then back in... So long as they're not liabilities, get 'em reps.