2019 Houston Texans

The Earl of Texas

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Call timeout with 2:29 you fucking moron! You save way more time than calling it after the 2 minute warning 

Calling it before the 2 minute warning saves you 29 seconds; calling it afterward saves you 40.  Also have to look at 3rd down options that gives Indy:

Scenario 1: 3rd and 10, Texans out of timeouts, 2:10 on the clock

Scenario 2: 3rd and 10, Texans with one timeout, 1:54 on the clock (what actually happened)

Under Scenario 1, throwing the ball deep/over the middle is a pretty risk-free option for the Colts; whether you complete it or not,  the clock is going to stop with 2:00, and you give yourself a legit shot at picking up the first down and Houston never getting the ball back.  As it was, doing anything but handing off or running an incredibly conservative pass play (which they did) would have been extremely risky.  By surrendering 16 seconds of gametime, you greatly increase the odds that you get the ball back.  Obviously the fuckup was needing to call a timeout to take a safety.

Taking the safety was the right call there, but I've always wondered in that situation why teams even bother putting their punter back there.  If he's trying to catch the ball it might bounce off his hands, hit him in the face mask, etc, and you have a chance at giving up a TD there instead of a safety.  As long as your long snapper doesn't completely shit the bed snapping the ball, it seems a lot safer to have the punter stay the fuck out of the way...

Edited by Ignatius

13 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Calling it before the 2 minute warning saves you 29 seconds; calling it afterward saves you 40.  Also have to look at 3rd down options that gives Indy:

Scenario 1: 3rd and 10, Texans out of timeouts, 2:10 on the clock

Scenario 2: 3rd and 10, Texans with one timeout, 1:54 on the clock (what actually happened)

Under Scenario 1, throwing the ball deep/over the middle is a pretty risk-free option for the Colts; either way the clock is going to stop with 2:00, and you give yourself a legit shot at picking up the first down and Houston never getting the ball back.  As it was, doing anything but handing off or running an incredibly conservative pass play (which they did) would have been incredibly risky.  By surrendering 16 seconds of gametime, you greatly increase the odds that you get the ball back.  Obviously the fuckup was needing to call a timeout to take a safety.

Taking the safety was the right call there, but I've always wondered in that situation why teams even bother putting their punter back there.  If he's trying to catch the ball it might bounce off his hands, hit him in the face mask, etc, and you have a chance at giving up a TD there instead of a safety.  As long as your long snapper doesn't completely shit the bed snapping the ball, it seems a lot safer to have the punter stay the fuck out of the way...

In most cases you are right but 29 seconds is way too much to let come of the clock. calling the timeouts before the 2 minute warning forces them  to run their plays before the 2 minute warning with the clock stopped...if you stop them and force the punt , you will get the ball back with more time left on the clock . I know we are talking about BoB here, but if you have the ball you control the pace of play and hopefully way less than 40 seconds run off between plays, and you can run out of bounds, incomplete pass etc to manage the clock. Also there was only 1:41 and we had no timeouts for the last possession. If you don't stop them you will lose anyways, and in this scenario calling the timeouts ahead the of 2 minute warning gives Houston the ball with about 2:15 left and obviously the 2 minute warning  .

You can tell Buttchin took the playcalling back this week. all that spread crap all game long and inside the 5. The bunch trips formation was confusing the Colts and giving them problems and he went away from it. Another inexcusably stupid clock management display. Really disappointing day.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

In most cases you are right but 29 seconds is way too much to let come of the clock. calling the timeouts before the 2 minute warning forces them  to run their plays before the 2 minute warning with the clock stopped...if you stop them and force the punt , you will get the ball back with more time left on the clock . I know we are talking about BoB here, but if you have the ball you control the pace of play and hopefully way less than 40 seconds run off between plays, and you can run out of bounds, incomplete pass etc to manage the clock. Also there was only 1:41 and we had no timeouts for the last possession. If you don't stop them you will lose anyways, and in this scenario calling the timeouts ahead the of 2 minute warning gives Houston the ball with about 2:15 left and obviously the 2 minute warning  .

The Colts punted with 1:49 left in the clock:  if Houston uses its two TOs after 1st and 2nd down, AND holds on 3rd down, they’d had punted with 2:00 left, so you’d have gained a total of 11 seconds, and that’s if Indy gets conservative on 3rd down.

My point is that by making them run that 3rd down play at the (say) 2:21 mark, you’re giving them way less incentive to not be aggressive and throw for the first down. From their point of view, if they throw an incomplete pass, they’re punting with like 2:12 left, vs being conservative and punting  with 2:00.  If I’m them, I’ll totally take that 12-second trade off for a chance to ice the game.  

Essentially, in exchange for giving up 11 seconds the Texans created a higher probability that they would get the ball back.

5 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Completely shitty division and STILL gonna gimp into a wildcard or miss playoffs lol

The Colts aren’t shitty, they’ve built a really good roster.  Their O-Line is one of the best in the league, they’ve got a deep, balanced roster, and I’m pretty sure 100 out of 100 Texans fans would trade head coaches with them....

3 minutes ago, Bevoball said:

they have a few late rounders that they can use to pick up some more lunch pail bringin, coach on the field, gym rat, former walk ons. 

Gotta be able to sell jerseys to fat white suburbanites that see those guys as their fantasy lives.

Aggies?

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

They already drafted the aggy 12th Man in the 7th round. 

That's exactly who I was referring to. I would have had no issue at all with them signing him as a high priority free agent, but wasting a draft pick, even a 7th rounder was just dumb. Use a 7th rounder on a kid who either tested amazing with a great physical measurements and just didn't produce on the field or division 1 level, or draft someone who produced really well on the field but had bad testing numbers or measurements. Not the average sized kid from your back yard who plays a non premier position and also didn't do anything at that position in college.

At least the dumbass in charge of that draft is gone, granted i don't trust butt chin to do any better in future drafts. Then again he probably doesn't think he will draft well either and that's why he is trading away all of our future premium picks.

23 hours ago, Ignatius said:

The Colts punted with 1:49 left in the clock:  if Houston uses its two TOs after 1st and 2nd down, AND holds on 3rd down, they’d had punted with 2:00 left, so you’d have gained a total of 11 seconds, and that’s if Indy gets conservative on 3rd down.

My point is that by making them run that 3rd down play at the (say) 2:21 mark, you’re giving them way less incentive to not be aggressive and throw for the first down. From their point of view, if they throw an incomplete pass, they’re punting with like 2:12 left, vs being conservative and punting  with 2:00.  If I’m them, I’ll totally take that 12-second trade off for a chance to ice the game.  

Essentially, in exchange for giving up 11 seconds the Texans created a higher probability that they would get the ball back.

I forgot that buttchin let time run off after the sack, called timeout, then took an intentional safety...all of that is BoB clock/game management skills in a nutshell.  Inexcusable to take a sack in that scenario (Should have been pounded into 4's head pre-snap), waste time getting punt team out there, call timeout, then take a safety (which was the only right choice he made)      

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Lulz my buddy just texted me "Raiders released wack ass Conley, thank god" 

So apparently Raiders fans were happy with the idea of him being released, he'll be ecstatic when he finds out they are part of the BoB fleecing... 

Was he happy when they traded for Antonio Brown?

On 10/21/2019 at 4:04 PM, Bevoball said:

That's exactly who I was referring to. I would have had no issue at all with them signing him as a high priority free agent, but wasting a draft pick, even a 7th rounder was just dumb. Use a 7th rounder on a kid who either tested amazing with a great physical measurements and just didn't produce on the field or division 1 level, or draft someone who produced really well on the field but had bad testing numbers or measurements. Not the average sized kid from your back yard who plays a non premier position and also didn't do anything at that position in college.

At least the dumbass in charge of that draft is gone, granted i don't trust butt chin to do any better in future drafts. Then again he probably doesn't think he will draft well either and that's why he is trading away all of our future premium picks.

He wasn't even a starter on a mediocre team. This has nothing to do with aggy. The Texans drafted a guy who wasn't good enough to start for a college football team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texashorne said:

He wasn't even a starter on a mediocre team. This has nothing to do with aggy. The Texans drafted a guy who wasn't good enough to start for a college football team. 

Well shit Peter, you don’t have to have a million dollars to do nothin’....

On 10/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

I forgot that buttchin let time run off after the sack, called timeout, then took an intentional safety...all of that is BoB clock/game management skills in a nutshell.  Inexcusable to take a sack in that scenario (Should have been pounded into 4's head pre-snap), waste time getting punt team out there, call timeout, then take a safety (which was the only right choice he made)      

letting all that time run off the clock before the timeout and then the punter burning a couple more seconds before stepping out of the endzone was Charlie Strong level of coaching.

25 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

letting all that time run off the clock before the timeout and then the punter burning a couple more seconds before stepping out of the endzone was Charlie Strong level of coaching.

No shit, just tell the deep snapper to put it in the stands....ridiculously bad execution 

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What a typical bullshit poorly played and executed 1st drive by BOB. His disgusting hands are all over the offense again with WR screens on 3rd long and the unimaginative running plays. Fire this clown. 

I didn't think it was that poorly called. The pre-snap penalties continue to kill us though.