Tell me about the SWC

Bash Riprock

12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm 38 and remember the Nolan Richardson vs Penders games..  Richardson had some talented teams , shame the Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Lee Mayberry teams didn't win the championship....NOT

I have a lot of respect for Nolan.  His first year or two... not smooth there with a noticeable portion of the fanbase because he wasn't Eddie Sutton and because he wasn't white. 

Students used to be able sit literally right behind the other team's bench at SMU, and we would heckle him mercilessly.  I remember his first year there, we were beating the crap out of them and a group of Arky fans up in the corner unfurled a banner that said "I'd crawl to Kentucky to bring Eddie Sutton back."  

A couple of minutes later, a friend of mine used the word "damn" while yelling at him, and Nolan went nuts, asking security to kick him out for cursing.  

I felt bad for him and wondered how he was going to make it, but he got it figured out.  

Of course, they eventually ran him off and they haven't been the same since.

Growing up as a fan of the Horns in the 80s with both parents Texas Exes, I will always have a disdain for Arky. Then after Houston Nutt gave the upside down Horns in Austin and traveling to Fayetteville in 2004, it just reminded me how much I hated them from my youth. I love that they have won exactly 0 SEC football titles since joining in 1992. Now aggy is carrying on the same tradition of winning jack squat in SEC football along with Arky. Good luck with that hunert year decision... The aggy tears will be epic this fall, even moreso than usual, each time they falter under ol Jimbo. Can't wait. Keep bringing the lulz to Longhorn Nation. Good theater.

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

UA fans were one of the reasons I was excited for their inclusion to the SEC, folks said they were great during the ‘78 FF.  Hogs made the FF in ‘78 and damn near again in ‘79 had it not been for some scrub from Indiana St.

The SWC tournament at Reunion Arena was always completely packed with Arky fans.  

I remember going in 1988 when I was a senior at SMU.  We had won the league, had won our semi-final, and the second semi-final was Arkansas and Baylor.  17K people, and 15K were Arky fans.  

I sat in the middle of a bunch of them, and most of them talked to me about what a great team SMU had and how they'd love to have players like Kato Armstrong and Carlton McKinney.  At halftime of their game, they brought the SMU team out to recognize them as regular season champs, and the Arkansas fans gave them a standing O.  Just great fans.

Again, I think the shitty part of their fanbase took over when they won it all in the 90s.  

32 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

When we had to play Arkansas in the elite 8 in 1990 that really sucked. We could have made the final 4 that year. Maybe.

89-90 Horns

1989_90_05.jpg?width=1128&height=635&mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Come Dance with Lance and the Runnin' Horns to the Elite 8" - T shirts that showed up on campus the day after we beat Xavier in the Sweet 16. One of the best sports moments from when I was in school.  Guillermo "Panama" Myers with the big block against Purdue to get into the Sweet 16. BMW offense.......it was all fun.

The 1990 tournament also had Loyola Marymount make the Elite 8 before getting clobbered by UNLV. Fun times watching the tourney that year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

"Come Dance with Lance and the Runnin' Horns to the Elite 8" - T shirts that showed up on campus the day after we beat Xavier in the Sweet 16. One of the best sports moments from when I was in school.  Guillermo "Panama" Myers with the big block against Purdue to get into the Sweet 16. BMW offense.......it was all fun.

The 1990 tournament also had Loyola Marymount make the Elite 8 before getting clobbered by UNLV. Fun times watching the tourney that year. 

i used to think Mays was gonna be a superstar in the nba..shows you what a ten yr old thinks..

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

i used to think Mays was gonna be a superstar in the nba..shows you what a ten yr old thinks..

Mays and Blanks had NBA talent, but they just had zero idea how to play defense, thanks to Tanning Booth Tom.

Ironically, they were both brought here by Weltlich, and they probably had a better chance of making the NBA if he had coached them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Mays and Blanks had NBA talent, but they just had zero idea how to play defense, thanks to Tanning Booth Tom.

Ironically, they were both brought here by Weltlich, and they probably had a better chance of making the NBA if he had coached them. 

Luke Axell and Gabe Munoke agree with you lol

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Last SWC game for Texas @ aggy, before beginning XIl conference competition...

That's awesome.  Phil Fucking Dawson in what looks like the stone ages.  Dude's still in the league.

Also, James Brown was the most underrated UT QB ever.

Also, wish we had a TE like Pat Fitzgerald.

Growing up in Austin, I remember the big games were always:

OU for national relevance

Arky for SWC relevance

Aggies were rarely  in the discussion for SWC glory post WWII until Jackie "FedEx" Sherrill came along. Sure, they would win a championship here or there, but from 1960-the early 80's, it was Texas and Arkansas. If memory serves, from 1960-1984, A&M won maybe 2 conference championships....same as Baylor who was dreadful until Teaff came along. Only Rice, Tech, and TCU won fewer during that period.

The A&M game was interesting and state pride was certainly at stake, but the OU and Arkansas games had much more at stake. Hell, UH was a bigger deal in the late 70's early 80's because they had better teams and were competing for the SWC championship during that period (to say nothing of the 90 UH game)

That was also during the time that not every game was on TV....remember listening to the dulcet tones of the great Ron Franklin during the early 80's on KVET 1300

• Like 1

Csb regarding Ron Franklin. His grandson played with my son in pop warner football. Sitting in the stands I hear his voice and it’s him! He’s talking to his son all game and I’m back in college watching a SWC game while he calls the game.

I attended the 69 game in Fayettenam.  Got two tix from a classmate in physics. I had no date and no time to get one so me and my roomie drove from about 3pm to the middle of the night on the most treacherous fucking roads I have ever been on.  The people were horrible, the weather was horrible, and the drive back was horrible.  But I'd do it all again right now.  15-14!

Edited by bad motherfucker
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 22

13 hours ago, bad motherfucker said:

I attended the 69 game in Fayettenam.  Got two tix from a classmate in physics. I had no date and no time to get one so me and my roomie drove from about 3pm to the middle of the night on the most treacherous fucking roads I have ever been on.  The people were horrible, the weather was horrible, and the drive back was horrible.  But I'd do it all again right now.  15-14!

My brother drove up for that game. On the way back home he tried to fill up his VW, but not one station in Arkansaws would sell him any gas. He barely made it across the state line to fill it up. Toothless grandma hawg fans everywhere flipping the bird at his Texas plates.

DKR wasn't joking when he said it was like parachuting into Russia.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

Just rewatched the 1990 UH game. Amazing how "revolutionary" everyone thought the Run & Shoot was at the time. Now, it's called "offense".

Loudest game I’ve been to at Memorial. I thought Hadnot would be the next great back at Texas.

We hit Klingler like id never seen a quarterback get hit ... all night.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

I was at this game sitting at the very front of the student section. As Beta said, we had this game......was pissed when Strollin Nolan strolled right back into the building after what we thought was an ejection. 

Kinda liked the silver jerseys though........

It amazes me that I just watched that clip of that Texas/Arkansas game and became my 18 year old self again and pissed off all over again.  I will hate Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, and Oliver Miller forever.  Nolan Richardson was a fucking coward for leaving that game and then crawling back in.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:59 PM, Armybrat said:

But Humble Radio's Kern Tip voice ain't ever coming back unfortunately.

Kern Tipps and Connie Alexander after him made the Humble broadcasting network a great way to experience a ballgame if you were not there.  Listened to many a Texas game during hunting season and loved the SWC back in the 60's. 

On 4/11/2018 at 6:25 PM, PencilPusher said:

The 1990 tournament was one of the best ever.  Hank Gathers from Loyola Marymount died during their conference tournament and they went on a heck of an inspirational run.  Bo Kimble shot the first free throw of every game left handed in memory of Gathers (and swished every one of them if I recall correctly).

LMU's beat down of defending national champ Michigan in the second round was probably the best display of offensive basketball I have ever seen in my life.  Those guys couldn't miss and beat Michigan by 34 and it wasn't even that close.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:31 PM, PhillyD said:

It amazes me that I just watched that clip of that Texas/Arkansas game and became my 18 year old self again and pissed off all over again.  I will hate Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, and Oliver Miller forever.  Nolan Richardson was a fucking coward for leaving that game and then crawling back in.

Say what you will, but Mayberry and Day were bad dudes.  Mayberry's behind the back, between the legs 25 footer to send it to OT was unreal.

As a kid, I always admired the Barn, some ruckus crowds, remember when UNLV went there, pretty sure it was 1 vs 2, jealous of that atmosphere. College ball needs more of that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Their fans are terrible though

On April 8, 2018 at 10:02 PM, BlueGreySky said:

One of my favorite aggy stories because
1) it’s true
2) it sounds like something outta fucking Animal House complete with over ragey (fake) rotc and Delta House (MOB).

Yes. Is there somewhere a vid of the MOBs performance on that glorious day in the SWC?

I remember one year when my BIL was in the aggy band. He was a senior, so it would have been early 80s. The aggy band controlled all of their moments by whistle. They were performing at Rice and several MOB members had whistles that they started blowing randomly. Aggy band members were turning every which way in total confusion. Eventually they just halted the halftime show and walked off the field. There was no love lost between aggy and the MOB.

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2018 at 2:11 AM, Longboard Horn said:

That game was orgasmic. I covered it for The Daily Texan and remembered high-fiving my fellow DT cohort under the table on positive Texas plays. I also remember the press box effectively moving when they do that stupid-ass sideways sway thing. It was also the only time we beat aggy in my five years at UT.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

The 1990 tournament was one of the best ever.  Hank Gathers from Loyola Marymount died during their conference tournament and they went on a heck of an inspirational run.  Bo Kimble shot the first free throw of every game left handed in memory of Gathers (and swished every one of them if I recall correctly).

LMU's beat down of defending national champ Michigan in the second round was probably the best display of offensive basketball I have ever seen in my life.  Those guys couldn't miss and beat Michigan by 34 and it wasn't even that close.

I just went down the 1990 tournament wormhole and according to Wiki, about a yard or two away from Gathers when he collapsed on the court was Portland Pilots guard Erik Spoelstra.

Not an actual SWC game, but this was during the last days of the SWC in the annual Texas-OU game, in which Stonie "Stonewall" Clark would.not.move.an.inch on James Allen...

Growing up in Oklahoma, I always admired this game, but realised that Texas as a state/ school & the citizens of, are some baaaaaad shut yo mouth mo-fo's..! #Respect..!

On 4/11/2018 at 7:45 PM, bad motherfucker said:

Congratulations, you treasonous piece of shit. You dont deserve to count yourself amongst us. You might as well don crimson and move to where you belong - north of the Red goddamned River. Fuck you and everything you are about.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhere on the Tech campus there's a really cool tribute to the SWC on the engineering key where I stubbed/broke my toe the night before I graduated... it represented every school in the conference. Even the Owls were included.

I hope it's still there.