Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Seems like Sark learned some lessons from early last cycle and is being more aggressive early this cycle.

True. Would be nice to have more defensive commits, but there is time. Oh and I was told by Burt Macklin that recruiting would drop off precipitously because of last season's 5-7 record. 

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Seems like Sark learned some lessons from early last cycle and is being more aggressive early this cycle.

Hope you’re right. Niblett is a big get. Wisner is an excellent get too, but from everything anyone has said ever, Choice is going to get his guys. There’s no way he’s done either.  

24 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

If CTJ happens upon Crown & Anchor, he just might go Red Lion on Tipsy Gypsy.

We dumped our four kids at the hotel and went to Moonshine for a great CFS, Jalapeno Hangar Steak and cocktails. Crown & Anchor. Of course that’s where Nahlin would get himself depantsed by the staff. Very on brand, actually. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach/Standish on Twitter Space, post spring game.  (Text/link below.)

NIBLETT

- keep saying Niblett ran a 10.4 laser

- as big a get outside of Cook/Pettaway

- Marion got us back in this

WISNER

- props to Choice

- talk about how A&M has gotten people to visit and shut things down;  this is what Texas did

MATHIS

- Roach still thinks Texas ... 

ON RECEIVERS

- Standish: could even end up with top 5 receiver choices ..... 

- Roach:  could be to this class what OL was to the last ... 

ON THE GAME (PLUS GENERAL)

- liked Ewers

- thought Card could have been better

- thought Neyor was the MVP (Standish, I think)

- liked Sanders, Billingsley (a bit)

- thought Roschon, Jonathan looked good, really like RB group

DEFENSE

- think they liked Blackwell, like Jamir Johnson

Here's the link, and the text is in the spoilered section.

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1mrGmaRlbEMGy

Spoiler

247 Roach/Standish Twitter Space post Spring Game

We were gonna do a podcast and then Hudson had coaxed me into making this Twitter space that we will later turn into a podcast so.
You know, I'm I'm. This is why I hired Hudson is to help innovate and drive things forward and.
We do this from the Rd from my 35 N somewhere around.
we do this from the road from I-35 N somewhere around 10
Alright, also spam the chat with like 100 emojis if the sound is good, we're again we're on the road back to Dallas, so it's a bit of a toughie. As far as audio quality goes, but we're excited to get this going.
OK, I think we're good. Perfect ohm. So First off Mike.
Initial takes from the commitments of Ryan Niblett and Trey Wisner.
Obviously huge. I think the headline of it is that the two new assistants that Steve Sarkisian brought in to share choice and Brennan, Mary and both landing big targets early on in the cycle. Those guys were brought in to provide a recruiting boost to provide, you know, some youth at those positions and I think they've obviously resonated with those kids we spent the week in Houston and saw Ryan nibbling twice during that week and just talking to him. We knew this was a possibility even to the p
You know, I think Thursday night we were talking about potentially typing up a Ryan and commitment story just in case. And while I'm still kind of iffy on if something would go down this quickly, we definitely had sources who were indicating that confidence was really surging there, I think.
These guys have done a great job. Obviously both guys are at the spring game today. Uh, you know. I think that in talking to some people near Wisner, there were there, you know, he was really impressed with the running backs and just the role that they could have in that offense. And so it's been a class of defense so far to add your first 2 offensive players to be 2 dynamic skilled playmakers. I think is big.

And get some productive work and I thought they got productive work.
Another another player that I don't think he necessarily even flashed that much today, but we heard that he had had a great spring and he just looked physically great. Today was Jamir Johnson. I mean Mike, you kind of were talking to source who when you asked who were some guys to watch out for that was one of the first ones that was mentioned and that's out of safety spot. The Texas kind of did struggle with last year and maybe has a chance to be a sneaky guy to earn a starting spot for Texas.
You mentioned Jamir was present on the scene when when they or went deep. Uh, I think Xavier Worthy had a ball that hit him in the helmet that he would have been, you know, wide open down the sideline on that he had beat Johnson leave, but I think you're right. And just eyeballing him and I had seen junior in high school playing in a 7 on seven tournament in Vegas and thought he was put together incredibly well. Really, physical type of DB and.
What is the kind of just him getting some experience and how that adds to his game and his ability to to do things on the field? So definitely a guy to watch out for. I think there are more options in the secondary than people are giving.
what is the kind of just him getting some experience and how that adds to his game and his ability to to do things on the field so definitely a guy to watch out for i think there are more options in the secondary than people are giving them
Absolutely well, I think that will probably do it, Mike, unless there's anything else that you wanna, uh?
Talk about on your Spaces debut before you head outta here. This doesn't seem so bad. Maybe we'll do more, I think.
Now it's it's been a long week for Hudson and I we started this this trip Sunday night. Did Houston Monday through Thursday would tell Campo Friday and then the Austin and then.
Game and I'll be dropping Hudson off about 12:30 and another hour home, so been a long week, but it really productive week. I think we we kind of nailed the nibblet stuff all week. You know, I think we kind of told that story accurately and the way it was going. And you know, we're able to break that. He was going to make the visit this weekend and all those sorts of things, so I guess I would before we get out of here, I'll end it on this. Did you? This is your first big work trip with 24/7. Ho
One of my favorite trips and definitely will be one uh, for the memory books with I think we saw Ryan Neblett the first stop. Kind of. We're hearing some good things. Made a return trip to see even attract me, broke the news that he was going to be visiting for the spring game and then really started to hear some more about a potential commitment. And man it was just amazing. Amazing trip.
Alright gang, thanks for tuning in for hopefully the first of many spaces. Uh, we'll get out of here. Talk to you later.

• Hook 'Em 5