Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol this kid isn’t Bolt level, and that’s ok. Idk why he needs to be compared to the GREATEST SPRINTER OF ALL TIME because he is also tall and fast. He’s still a freak, Bolt was an alien.

The only people who compare him to Bolt are the ones trying to discredit him for some weird reason. Comparing any high school kid to the fastest man ever in his Olympic prime is brain-dead behavior. 

But people do it anyway because Bolt was big and they can't think of any other comparisons. Bolt didn't even run the 100m in high school because his coaches thought he was too big, and this kid is even bigger.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

quit quoting that asshat. 

i am constantly shocked how many people don't have him on ignore. he has some of the least informed, worst football opinions on this website (which is saying something) and somehow combines those with bruh man-level recruiting opinions.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I would compare a lot of kids who run sub 10.3 as a junior to Bolt.  I'd say, imagine a kid who hasn't fully matured, who has had no real coaching yet, who probably doesn't have a good nutrition plan, who can't focus solely on training, who clearly has areas he can improve on (start for instance)......imagine what kind of ceiling that kid has.  Then I'd say, eh, he'll play football, we'll never see him on the track, then we'll get smoked by the Jamaicans next olympics again.

14 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

I would compare a lot of kids who run sub 10.3 as a junior to Bolt.  I'd say, imagine a kid who hasn't fully matured, who has had no real coaching yet, who probably doesn't have a good nutrition plan, who can't focus solely on training, who clearly has areas he can improve on (start for instance)......imagine what kind of ceiling that kid has.  Then I'd say, eh, he'll play football, we'll never see him on the track, then we'll get smoked by the Jamaicans next olympics again.

It does feel like a bit of a shame for him to focus mainly on football in the future. His form is not even very good yet, if he dedicated himself to track long term, hard to imagine that wouldn’t be his best sport, sky’s the limit there.

Edited by Lonestar88

2 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

he absolutely isn't any of those things though - he is very highly recruited, has been part of a track club since he was 8, is part of a high school team with a history of high level sprinters, is running in track meets like 1600 miles away from where he lives (DC to Lubbock), is running track at major meets across the country also, plays a bunch of positions in FB and his father had a multiple decade long soccer career and played for the USMNT and is literally an aerospace engineer for NASA.

this isn't some dude from DeKalb, TX who just started playing football as a JR after working on the farm his whole life and has not done any strength or speed training ever

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

It does feel like a bit of a shame for him to focus mainly on football in the future. His form is not even very good yet, if he dedicated himself to track, hard to imagine that wouldn’t be his best sport, sky’s the limit there.

he isn't going to based on everything he has said and his actual track results.

he has been pretty clear he is going to focus on track and FB in basically every article/interview about the guy that has any quotes from him or his family in it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Bob Marley Love GIF by CANAL+

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol this kid isn’t Bolt level, and that’s ok. Idk why he needs to be compared to the GREATEST SPRINTER OF ALL TIME because he is also tall and fast. He’s still a freak, Bolt was an alien.

You guys can't fucking read I swear to god. I said a Bolt level athlete. In no way did I say he was faster than Bolt, nor will he ever be. Bolt is 6'5 and 200 lbs. This dude is 6'5 and 230 lbs but within .7 seconds of Bolts fastest time as a fucking high schooler who doesnt use starting blocks. All I am saying is that he is a world class freak athlete that you don't see but maybe once in a decade. Bo Jackson, Jevon Kearse level shit. Can he play football? Who knows. But you just don't see that size/speed combination very often. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I had to look up what PAI is. Apparently it's the proprietary scoring metric that TrackingFootball uses. https://www.trackingfootball.com/why/player-athletic-index/

it's like RAS for NFL if you have seen it, sorry i posted about it in the transfer thread and should have done same here.

basically, how athletic a person is compared to others at his position. PAI includes track scores ini t as well

3 hours ago, NoName said:

…his father had a multiple decade long soccer career and played for the USMNT and is literally an aerospace engineer for NASA.

this isn't some dude from DeKalb, TX who just started playing football as a JR after working on the farm his whole life and has not done any strength or speed training ever

3 hours ago, NoName said:

he isn't going to based on everything he has said and his actual track results.

he has been pretty clear he is going to focus on track and FB in basically every article/interview about the guy that has any quotes from him or his family in it.

Oh how I wish that this guy would focus on fútbol  & track.

Whether as a target striker or a Hoover-level Central Defender, he would be an absolute terror on the pitch. 

️ 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Oh how I wish that this guy would focus on fútbol  & track.

Whether as a target striker or a Hoover-level Central Defender, he would be an absolute terror on the pitch. 

️ 

You should see him with a curling broom

• Hook 'Em 1

Late night HUDdle: Notes on Jaquaize Pettaway and Jonah Wilson

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Hudson Standish

— One of the most important visits on our week long trip to Houston was heading out to Langham Creek today to talk with 247's No. 34 player in the country in Jaquaize Pettaway. The 5-foot-11, 170-pounder has set personal records in the 100-meter and 200-meter dash this spring with elite times of 10.41 and 20.80 and now has started spring football practice in addition to his area track meet preparation.

I'll have the full interview with Pettaway out tomorrow, but a couple of important notes I wanted to get out ASAP were that Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State seem to be in the best spot and that Pettaway mentioned he recently started talking with Isidore Newman QB Arch Manning. Pettaway said that Manning reached out to him to see what schools he was considering and that after comparing schools they ended up talking about Texas and Georgia. I'll have more on Pettaway tomorrow ahead of his visit to Oklahoma this weekend.

— Our second stop of the day was Spring Dekaney High School with the primary motive of checking out Texas priority wideout Jonah Wilson. Wilson was offered by Texas shortly after Brennan Marion took over the wide receiver room and fits what Marion is looking for in an X receiver that excels in contested catch situations. After getting a closer look at Wilson in person we changed his height from 6-foot-1 to 6-foot-3 and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dekaney wideout officially measured in at 6-foot-4 by the winter all-star games.

Wilson raved about his recent trip to Texas and seems to be a kid that fell in love with the city of Austin on his visit. Texas and Ohio State are both in great spots for the four-star's signature, but I wouldn't expect him to make a decision in the near future. Wilson told me that he would likely make a late-summer decision and could even use some of his official visits during the fall. Lastly, the four-star told me that he could visit Baylor this weekend but likely wouldn't make it to Waco due to a bust schedule. I'll have more on Wilson later in the week.

image.thumb.png.328c5e9f6214e3d3f703df8b5d67a106.png

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hudson Standish

Hide contents

Hudson Standish

— One of the most important visits on our week long trip to Houston was heading out to Langham Creek today to talk with 247's No. 34 player in the country in Jaquaize Pettaway. The 5-foot-11, 170-pounder has set personal records in the 100-meter and 200-meter dash this spring with elite times of 10.41 and 20.80 and now has started spring football practice in addition to his area track meet preparation.

I'll have the full interview with Pettaway out tomorrow, but a couple of important notes I wanted to get out ASAP were that Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State seem to be in the best spot and that Pettaway mentioned he recently started talking with Isidore Newman QB Arch Manning. Pettaway said that Manning reached out to him to see what schools he was considering and that after comparing schools they ended up talking about Texas and Georgia. I'll have more on Pettaway tomorrow ahead of his visit to Oklahoma this weekend.

— Our second stop of the day was Spring Dekaney High School with the primary motive of checking out Texas priority wideout Jonah Wilson. Wilson was offered by Texas shortly after Brennan Marion took over the wide receiver room and fits what Marion is looking for in an X receiver that excels in contested catch situations. After getting a closer look at Wilson in person we changed his height from 6-foot-1 to 6-foot-3 and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dekaney wideout officially measured in at 6-foot-4 by the winter all-star games.

Wilson raved about his recent trip to Texas and seems to be a kid that fell in love with the city of Austin on his visit. Texas and Ohio State are both in great spots for the four-star's signature, but I wouldn't expect him to make a decision in the near future. Wilson told me that he would likely make a late-summer decision and could even use some of his official visits during the fall. Lastly, the four-star told me that he could visit Baylor this weekend but likely wouldn't make it to Waco due to a bust schedule. I'll have more on Wilson later in the week.

image.thumb.png.328c5e9f6214e3d3f703df8b5d67a106.png

So Jalen Hale isn't one of the top 7 WRs on our board?

Nahlin

Isidore Newman tight end Will Randle is visiting Texas yet again. He’ll arrive Friday before lunch and stay until Sunday, the main attraction being the spring game. IT has reported there is a good chance he’ll make his decision before his teammate Arch Manning. That puts him on watch for a spring decision as we’re currently thinking June for Arch.

IT continues to feel good about Texas closing this recruitment out. Though a Randle commitment wouldn’t mean Arch is a lock to Texas, it would surely be yet another favorable sign. The two are close with a lot of friends in common.

Since people assume Randle and Arch are conjoined twins that means Arch will be in Austin Saturday, right? That sounds unlikely from what we’re hearing.

If you’re looking for another positive data point in the Arch recruitment, IT hears Eli Holstein is in fact a take for Alabama at this time. That’s nice to hear, though we contend Georgia is the biggest threat. Still, it’s nice to hear like when Clemson was officially out.

Bama’s decision probably has something to do with Holstein being scheduled to visit Florida beginning today.