Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Owens about to commit to the Ags?

twitter following:

https://en.whotwi.com/ii_rueben/friends

image.thumb.png.e8129ed4610ddd0bd038ee6dbb550522.png

most of his recent likes are MSU related: https://twitter.com/ii_rueben/likes

no real info on twitter search? https://twitter.com/search?q=rueben+owens&f=live

where is the smoke from?

Edited by NoName

Owens is good friends with some DL recruits that may be going to take a visit to Michigan St as a favor to Coach Jordan. None of these kids are seriously considering MSU, but they are fond of their former trainer turned college coach and likely throwing him a bone.

Mike at Night: Notes from our first stops in Houston

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Notes from our first stops in Houston26VIP

Mike Roach

— Aldine Eisenhower wide receiver Ryan Niblett is coming off of a recent trip to Texas where it sounds like the Longhorns were able to make a big impact. Niblett specifically mentioned Brennan Marion as a highlight of the trip and talked about how he feels he could fit with what Xavier Worthy does at Texas. Niblett mentioned he liked Austin overall as a city and the vibe the program has between coaches and players. Niblett is working on setting up official visits and wants to take all of his trips in the summer. Niblett wants to run track at the college level and Texas talked to him about that as well. Niblett doesn't have a current timetable for a decision, but he wants to find a school with good energy. Niblett also mentioned Alabama, Baylor and Houston as schools he's interested in.

— North Shore safety/linebacker Jayven Anderson will be in Austin this weekend for the spring game. The hybrid defender said that Texas has been recruiting him hard as a player who can line up in the "star" position and play a hybrid between outside linebacker and safety. Anderson showed a lot of athleticism at his size during his training session we observed today and could be an intriguing fit in a defense looking to spin bigger safeties down. Anderson said that he hasn't set up official visits yet, but Texas is a trip he definitely wants to take. Michigan State and USC are two other trips he's planning and he wants to get his visits out of the way early and make a commitment before his senior season. Arkansas and Houston are other schools in the mix for him at the moment.

— I caught up with four-star Los Alamitos (Calif.) wide receiver Deandre Moore today coming off of his weekend visit to Texas. Moore said he loved the trip and got to spend a lot of quality time with Brennan Marion while in Austin. Moore was able to take in the scrimmage where he said he loved the way Xavier Worthy played. Moore told me Texas is among his top schools and he will return for an official visit. I mentioned earlier in the spring that I thought Texas could be a player in this race if they were able to get Moore for an unofficial and I feel they can continue to build on that with an official visit.

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

On3 has him as a LB and the reports after your post has him as a hybrid. 

https://www.on3.com/db/jayven-anderson-149998/scouting/

Him and Katy kid (Hall) are similar type players.  I'd actually love to have both, but not sure both will fit in this class.  Not sure why neither are ranked on some of the services, they've got some nice film highlights.  Hall plays violent.

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

SIAP but I haven’t seen the petition link posted yet.  Is this kid a take or not?

When I looked at his highlights, they scream linebacker to me. He is a big safety who hits hard and is fluid. He will be 6'2" 230 in a college weight program and be an ideal modern linebacker.

Gerry: 

The Texas staff continues to make a push to get top targets back on campus for Saturday's spring game.

1. Inside Texas was told Tuesday morning that On300 No. 290 Ian Reed will be in attendance at the Longhorns spring game Saturday. Texas continues to feel a level of confidence with Reed's recruitment, but there will be a battle as the 6-foot-6, 285-pounder continues to emerge as one of the cycle's best IOL prospects.

2. Inside Texas spoke with someone close to Rueben Owens Tuesday morning. There is a chance Owens attends the Texas spring game Saturday. Far from a lock, but possible. The family has considered a visit to USC as well. Or stay away from college and play 7v7. Owens will be competing in an area track meet Wednesday at Navasota High with hopes of hitting the high 10.5's in the 100 meters. He will also long jump and run the 4x200 relay tomorrow.

3. On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway remains scheduled to visit Oklahoma this weekend.

4. On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Jonah Wilson is a maybe to visit Baylor this weekend.

5. On3 Consensus 4-star EDGE Colton Vasek is scheduled to visit Texas Tech this weekend with his family.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When I looked at his highlights, they scream linebacker to me. He is a big safety who hits hard and is fluid. He will be 6'2" 230 in a college weight program and be an ideal modern linebacker.

Sounds like an Overshown starter kit. I am not sure how to feel about that. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think Overshown's issue was just buying into the fact that he was a linebacker. TCU safety/linebackers aren't as highly recruited so I think it is easier for the coach to tell them during recruiting that they are being recruited as a linebacker. That means they get immediate buy-in. 

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Just now, Bevo said:

I think Overshown's issue was just buying into the fact that he was a linebacker. TCU safety/linebackers aren't as highly recruited so I think it is easier for the coach to tell them during recruiting that they are being recruited as a linebacker. That means they get immediate buy-in. 

Wasn’t he injured last spring so he wasn’t able to practice his new position? I’m interested to see how he does this season with a full spring and last fall under his belt. 

Taking an Overshown type of athletic off the ball linebacker project is fine as long as you pair that take with someone who's already good at linebacking and who's athletic enough that you'd feel comfortable eventually starting there

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You have to separate the athleticism from the ability to diagnose a play.

Malik Jefferson had a prototypical linebacker build, but had trouble figuring out which gap to pick, when to contain, or how to handle misdirection. 

Taking guys like Bonsu, or Overshown, or Tyler Owens, or whatever safety with the size to play linebacker is fine. You just have to help them develop the skills.

What we would ideally want is for Bonsu to end up like the LSU dude, Jacoby Stevens.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That’s a good visit imo. Especially if Arch isn’t visiting. I believe Nahlin said he’s a take at that position regardless of Arch since we likely take two this year anyway. 

Yeah there's no way that a Randle commitment hurts with Arch, that'd just be another feather in our cap.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wasn’t he injured last spring so he wasn’t able to practice his new position? I’m interested to see how he does this season with a full spring and last fall under his belt. 

Overshown played LB in 2020.