Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

19 hours ago, Harvdog said:

I had a friend of mine who’s son goes to A&M.  He said fishcamp was a joke.  It was all kool-aid.  There was a ton of misinformation about Texas. His parents went to Texas and raised him with UT, so knew what was propaganda and bullshit. Kid got a nice scholarship so he took it.  His feedback was it was all fake. He thought everyone was stupid. I asked him if he still roots for Texas and the answer is yes.  Kid won’t attend an Aggie football game because he can’t stand them.  😂 I think there are more people like that at A&M.  It’s incredibly hard to get into Texas so they take their money and get a free education. 

I told my son that if he stayed in state I’d pay the whole college bill, but if he went out of state he had to pay a portion of the out of state fees. 

He took one quick look at A&M and said “oh hell no” and hustled up to Oklahoma and Arkansas. Said taking on that debt was better than hanging out with a bunch of weirdos. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I told my son that if he stayed in state I’d pay the whole college bill, but if he went out of state he had to pay a portion of the out of state fees. 

He took one quick look at A&M and said “oh hell no” and hustled up to Oklahoma and Arkansas. Said taking on that debt was better than hanging out with a bunch of weirdos. 

seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah Gerry said most schools are recruiting him for OT but we are willing to let him try DT  

I wonder if the bust rate is higher on those kind of guys who prefer to play a different position.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Roach said he’s changing his crystal ball on Billy Walton to Oklahoma State. Took an OV to Stillwater this past weekend and is announcing soon.

pretty sure we backed off of him. he’s decent but has some glaring limitations. not an SEC player. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I wonder if the bust rate is higher on those kind of guys who prefer to play a different position.

11 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

We're recruiting at least three of those types.

I never get excited by these types of recruits. They seem to always want to play their worse position and they mostly follow the same trajectory: languish on the depth chart at their position of choice for a few years, wasting eligibility in the process, before transferring or occasionally they switch positions and their development is stunted. But hell, when they're talented enough it's worth the risk.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Wasn’t Leonard Davis a DL recruit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2016/10/14/eyes-on-texas-a-position-change-at-texas-forever-changed-leonard-davis-life/10126031007/

Prior to spring drills in 1998, Davis didnt have to say much to Brown. It was as if the head coach could read minds. He asked me, Hey, what do you want to play offense or defense? Just like that, Davis said. I said offense. He said, Ill let (assistant coach Mike) Tolleson know, and that was it.

The difference is that Davis wanted to play offense. So, it all depends on how open the player is to change.

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2016/10/14/eyes-on-texas-a-position-change-at-texas-forever-changed-leonard-davis-life/10126031007/

The difference is that Davis wanted to play offense. So, it all depends on how open the player is to change.

And also just as important, this kid ain't Leonard Davis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Roach: Stampede

Spoiler

TEXAS LANDS TWO BIG OFFENSIVE TARGETS
The spring game was a success on the recruiting front as Texas added two big offensive targets from the board. It’s a bit poetic that both came within minutes for one another as wins for new assistants Tashard Choice and Brennan Marion.

Choice is now on the board with his first running back in the class. Desoto’s Tre Wisner is a player we’ve talked about a little. In the last few months, we’ve detected an uptick of interest from Wisner who was predicted by some insiders to be an Oklahoma lean. He recently visited Texas A&M and was reportedly looking at a fall decision, but the Longhorns were able to slam the door for him. That’s one down in what we expect to be a two-running back class for Texas. Wisner recently transferred to Desoto from Waco Connally where he will team up with Johntay Cook and the rest of a talented Eagles squad. Does Wisner help with Cook? Maybe a little, but I don’t see it being a significant impact. This is still a race that will likely come down to Texas or Texas A&M with a need to keep a close eye on Alabama. Now comes the race for the other running back in the class. The top target is Rueben Owens and the race for the El Campo back will probably also come down to an in-state battle between the Aggies and Longhorns. Cedric Baxter is another factor as the Orlando (Fla.) runner named the Longhorns among his five finalists over the weekend. Wisner will still get a pretty hard press from the top schools recruiting him, but credit to the staff for landing him early.

Brennan Marion reeling in Ryan Niblett was a big win for the Longhorns as well. Niblett is the type of dynamic athlete the Texas program sorely needs at the wide receiver position. An elite high school sprinter who recently registered a 10.47 100-meter time at the area track meet. He also swept the rest of the event taking gold in the 200, 4x100 and long jump. Though he’s still raw from a technique standpoint, Niblett has the type of juice to score from anywhere on the field once he reaches the college level. He’s impressed so far on the spring circuit in several 7-on-7 tournament and grabbed the eye of our national ranking team rising to be a Top 100 player in the country. Texas is gearing up to take a big wide receiver class with a lot of speed and skill available to them. Niblett is an important first step in the process, but Marion has his eye on big game like Johntay Cook, Jaquaize Pettaway, Jonah Wilson, Jaden Greathouse, Deandre Moore and Jalen Brown. Niblett visited with his entire family who I was told loved the trip overall and were excited by his decision to commit. What a great job Texas did coming from seemingly outside of the pack to land him in the spring.

WHAT’S NEXT FOR THE LONGHORNS?
If you believe in recruiting momentum within a class, this would be a time for the Longhorns to go on a run. Can they do that? We expected another commitment this week, but it sounds like that has changed (more in a moment). Still, Texas is in a good position with a number of different prospects. One of those is Ashton Porter. The Cy-Ranch defensive lineman returned to Austin over the weekend and enjoyed the trip. Porter has talked about moving his decision to late in the cycle, but I get the sense the Longhorns will push harder and try to close that deal sooner rather than later. We’ve talked quite a bit about four-star cornerback Jordan Matthews as well who is looking to make a decision in the summer.

I’d also expect Kyle Flood to make a move and try to get one of his top offensive line targets in the boat sometime in the next month. Regardless, this staff doesn’t seem to care about stacking chips in runs. Jaden Greathouse is another prospect we’ve been watching for, but a weekend trip to Notre Dame put the Irish into a better position in the race. After last year’s cycle, they know they can run the marathon and let things play out over the course of a cycle. If you are looking for a period where Texas can get hot, I think the summer will be big. I’d probably targets the month of July and August with plenty of visits upcoming and timelines ending before the season. With spring ball over, the staff will hit the road so we should see some new offers and gain more clarity on where targets stand.

RECAPPING HOUSTON TRIP
The biggest takeaway from our week in Houston was the progress made with Ryan Niblett. Obviously, that story concluded before we could write this story, though we did illustrate it in notes packages throughout the week. I also think the Longhorns are in a strong position with fellow Houston wide receiver and elite sprinter Jaquaize Pettaway. I’ll be interested to see what the buzz is with him coming out of his trip to Oklahoma over the weekend. Texas should be in a good position with North Shore safety Jayven Anderson who profiles to a hybrid position between safety and linebacker. Marion has been able to do a good job with Jonah Wilson, but he wants to take some time and a few visits.

We also really like the position Texas is in with Friendswood EDGE Braylan Shelby who looks like an absolute monster. With an NFL body and a game that rounded into shape late last season, Shelby could really rise as a prospect overall. Two schools that haven’t offered but could make it interesting are Notre Dame and Georgia. Despite that, Texas is treating Shelby like a priority and putting the full court press on him with Steve Sarkisian involved heavily. Texas also remains strong in the race for number one running back Rueben Owens. Sources close to him feel it will ultimately be a battle between Texas and Texas A&M for the five-star back. I am interested to see what comes out of Wisner’s recruitment. The plan has always been to take two running backs, but there’s usually some sort of reaction from the blue chippers when players at their position commit. Texas hits the road this week and will hit the Space City hard as they look to ramp up the 2023 class.

LONGHORNS IN A FIGHT FOR BILLY WALTON
Following Billy Walton’s visit a few weeks ago, the buzz around Texas was too strong to ignore. I checked with sources before the weekend who expected Walton to make a commitment soon and Texas was unanimously thought to be the pick. The one caveat was his official visit to Oklahoma State over the weekend. The Cowboys offered him early on, have a position fit in mind that matches what he does at South Oak Cliff and have several members of his family either on the roster or previously involved in the program.

One source very close to the situation told me before the weekend that he was all Texas unless Oklahoma State won him over during the trip. After checking with sources following the trip, it sounds like the Cowboys might have done just that. I’ve heard a decision could come as soon as this week, and I expect Stillwater to be the pick. Texas will continue to pursue, but this is a race the staff didn’t see flipping this suddenly. Perhaps something changes before he makes his announcement, but I’m changing my Crystal Ball to Oklahoma State.

RACE FOR OCHAUN MATHIS COMING DOWN TO THE WIRE
Perhaps the most important visitor on campus this weekend was TCU edge rusher Ochaun Mathis. The former Manor product will wrap up his recruitment on Saturday with a decision coming between Texas and Nebraska. The Longhorns had a successful official visit with him over the weekend. Mathis has been to campus four times since entering his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal and Texas has a massive need for him to step in and rush the passer immediately.

I’ve said in the past that Nebraska made this race very uncomfortable for Texas and turned what once looked like a slam dunk into a contested jumper. The best source I have near Mathis has been confident in Texas throughout the run of this recruitment. That said, even that source admitted to me yesterday that they weren’t 100% sure of the pick right now. I’ll continue to check with sources throughout the week as we lead up to Saturday and Mathis’ announcement.

56 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

And also just as important, this kid ain't Leonard Davis.

Being behind Davis in Jester cafeteria was a humbling experience. It turned hilarious when kitchen staff only let him have two corn dogs. "You'll have to go through the line again."

• Haha 1

The punchlines of a Roach article on a new decision date for Owens.

Spoiler

Owens originally planned to make his college decision after the season, but he's moved that timeline up now.

"I'm committing on my mom's birthday," he said. "I'm going to post a Top 6 in July and then I'm committing before the season."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

How many EDGE guys are we taking this class?  Roach make it sound like we'll get Shelby and Porter.  I'm guessing Vasek is probably a no.  Umeozulu is a national recruit with a family connection.

Gerry said something about Umeozulu not looking great recently 

Just now, Fud said:

Down on him as a prospect 

"Was only 201 pounds, and didn't test well at a very recent Under Armour Next Camp in Baltimore. He's just didn't look like the level prospect we originally thought. Still plenty of time, and he will need time physically."

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I will say it right now. You do not want to be the school Owens commits to in August with 4 months before he signs and a season full of visits ahead. 

My pipe dream is for Choice to bag Baxter so that Owens can fuck around with other programs.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I will say it right now. You do not want to be the school Owens commits to in August with 4 months before he signs and a season full of visits ahead. 

I get what you're trying to say but I'd still much rather he commit to us than someone else in August.

4 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Do we think Gullette is a LB or Edge? We may even sign more than 3, especially if it's the right player or they can play either position.

I would think EDGE, but Guillette is a numbers buster. You take that guy regardless. 

23 hours ago, Harvdog said:

The standards from the 80’s when I graduated were much easier than today. You have to be Top 6% and at least a 34 on the ACT to get in. My buddy’s son was Top 10% and got a 34. Wasn’t good enough to get in but it got him a scholarship to A&M. Those were Rice and Ivy League standards when I was in HS.

Well that is depressing.  Can't imagine the female talent is getting better with those numbers...