Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Get your shit together, Mitch. We’ve had cheaters kicking sand in our collective face for 15 years when it comes to the OL and the shitty results have followed. Now isn’t the time to start feeling conflicted. Fuck. 

With all due respect, even the non-cheaters have been kicking sand in the faces (and vaginas) of our oline for the last fifteen years too. I'm more apt to blame it on incompetent coaches than cheating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board. It's just taking me a minute to get used to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just read that Alex Dunlap from OB thinks that Payton Kirkland is a terrible prospect. 

Dunlap is such a useless scout for OB. I remember a couple weeks after Agiye Hall had already committed to UT that Dunlap admitted he hadn't even bothered to watch film on Hall, so he didn't know how good Hall was.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

With all due respect, even the non-cheaters have been kicking sand in the faces (and vaginas) of our oline for the last fifteen years too. I'm more apt to blame it on incompetent coaches than cheating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board. It's just taking me a minute to get used to it. 

Bet it didn’t take you long to get use to banging the deans daughter. 

Good riddance to the days where some of you were parroting the "athletic" 6'3 289lb tackle takes.   Talking about good weight and beefing them up.  Fuck that shit.  I never liked it and will take Flood's philosophy all day every day.     

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Good riddance to the days where some of you were parroting the "athletic" 6'3 289lb tackle takes.   Talking about good weight and beefing them up.  Fuck that shit.  I never liked it and will take Flood's philosophy all day every day.     

Like when Mack talked about H-backs: too slow for WR and too small for TE. The sweet spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My understating with Kirkland is that his top 5 all like him as a prospect but they have tired of the games he has played during his recruitment. I understand that while the top 5 would of taken his commitment at one time they have tired of his games and are no longer actively pursuing his commitment. I expect the pick to be Texas tonight in some sort of over dramatized selection process, but will be surprised if there are not a few more turns in this recruitment. 

• Fuck You 9

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is definitely one of the most bizarre recruitments I can remember. I guess I need to recalibrate my self-righteous indignation meter now that flat out buying players is within bounds. I understand that we are in the best position in the country to take advantage of the new rules, but I still feel dirty about it. The moral high ground was the last thing we could hang on to when everything else went to shit. I suppose I'll just hold my nose and take solace in knowing that we would have lost this kid to some sec bagman in the past. And of course, I'll continue my monthly autopay to burnt ends. 

How frequently would you say you feel dirty about something, Mr. Cumsteen?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Shhhh said:

My understating with Kirkland is that his top 5 all like him as a prospect but they have tired of the games he has played during his recruitment. I understand that while the top 5 would of taken his commitment at one time they have tired of his games and are no longer actively pursuing his commitment. I expect the pick to be Texas tonight in some sort of over dramatized selection process, but will be surprised if there are not a few more turns in this recruitment. 

R.C. didn't offer?

33 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

This exactly right. If these guys are forced into action at least they are 6’5” and 350 lbs not 6’3 275 needing 2 years to hopefully get over 300. Huge humans on both lines is the way to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Shhhh said:

Riiiiiiiiiight

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

This exactly right. If these guys are forced into action at least they are 6’5” and 350 lbs not 6’3 275 needing 2 years to hopefully get over 300. Huge humans on both lines is the way to go. 

F0B1BCD3-08E4-486E-8D26-E6BA23296542.thumb.jpeg.3d128e86fbf0352015fa10caa1349c78.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Shhhh said:

Lulz. Translation - they all tried to buy him with under the table payments and were shocked to learn Texas NIL dollars made their offers moot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Lulz. Translation - they all tried to buy him with under the table payments and were shocked to learn Texas NIL dollars made their offers moot. 

I might believe that if the kid had visited, but as is, this recruitment sounds like a roller coaster likely to end at UCF.

• Like 1

What are you blathering about? You claim that at least in the past we (or more accurately, you) could take solace in the fact that we were playing by the rules. And now you're weirded out for some reason by the fact that, uh, we're playing by the rules.
Rules changed, big guy. Moose out front shoulda told ya. This is like complaining about when we call a fair catch on a high kickoff that's fielded at the 1 yard line because "back in my day you couldn't do that and if you did then you'd have to take the ball at the 1." You liked to be happy about how we played by the rules in the past and we're still playing by the rules today. Snap out of it and pull yourself together.

607900fdc23375ed1f56de8f9d4de075.gif
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Yeah then he went out and signed 0 of the top 100 tackle prospects followed by two guards rated bottom 50 in Terrell Cuney at 6'1 300 and Jake McMillan 6"2 289. 

Those were not his guys. They were Mack holdovers from the 2014 transition class. The 2016 O line was probably the best in recent memory

Edited by cashman
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Shhhh said:

Idk who tf you are BUT none of that would surprise me given how this appears to be going down. This whole thing seems a little headcase-y to me

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

The only thing weird about this commitment is that when it was revealed out of the blue the recruit proceeded to deny it and bad mouth Texas.

And that Texas isn't in his top 5 graphic. And that he hasn't visited. It's weird.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The only thing weird about this commitment is that when it was revealed out of the blue the recruit proceeded to deny it and bad mouth Texas.

Exactly. A little drama is one thing. Shit talking the school you might still commit to is another.

Let him commit and then publicly say, “No thanks”.

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Neto-Umeozulu-46102211/high-school-252002/

I'm pretty sure he is getting looks at right tackle.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Nobody wanted 6’3” tackles. Cosmi weighed 250. 2 best OL for Texas recently were under-weight. It is not a terrible strategy to take movement over size. Those kids are probably more high risk/high reward. Herman’s biggest issue wasn’t the type of Offensive linemen he recruited, it was the lack of numbers. Luckily that will not be a problem for Sark and Flood. You take 12-13 in 2 years, you should be able to find at least 5 solid OL out of that group

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

Yeah then he went out and signed 0 of the top 100 tackle prospects followed by two guards rated bottom 50 in Terrell Cuney at 6'1 300 and Jake McMillan 6"2 289. 

Jake McMillon never played a snap on offense until he set foot on the 40. He didn’t pan out like any of us wanted to but holy fuck every idiot fuckwit coach that signed off on taking a 4 year starter at DL that was 6’3 240 and trying to make him an OL needs to be strung up by their short and curlys.

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

LSU commits and current players have a "Bring Derek back home" hashtag going on Twitter

Fuck'em. I'm so happy to have Derek on board. Hope he doesn't buy into the Brian Kelly shit. Also I don't know how how much that trend will help since it looks like he hasn't been on twitter since july 12th.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Nope said:

F0B1BCD3-08E4-486E-8D26-E6BA23296542.thumb.jpeg.3d128e86fbf0352015fa10caa1349c78.jpeg

This made me curious so I went back and looked at the rosters since Charlie  

According to the official Texas Rosters:

2014 - Biggest OL was Kent Perkins at 6’5 330 - 10 OL under 300 lbs

2015 - Biggest OL was Buck Major at 6’6 331 - 12 OL under 300 (low of 256 lol)

2016- Biggest OL was Buck again at 6’6 but down to 327 - 8 under 300

2017 - Freshman Patrick Hudson at 6’5 325 - 6 under 300 and 6 at 300-305

2018 - Still Patrick Hudson at 6’5 330 - 8 under 300 and 8 at 300-305

2019 - Tope Imade at 6’6 350 - 5 under 300 and 9 at 300-305

2020 - Tope again at 6’6 355 - 10 under 300 and 1 at 304

2021 - Still Tope at 6’6 361 (2nd was FR Hayden Conner at 6’5 332) - 7 under 300

2022 - Cam Williams at 6’7 374!! - Malik Agbo 6’6 337 - all of the FR aside from 2 are over 300 and the two that aren’t are 298 and 296. 6 under 300 and 2 at 300-305.

So most of our prized FR OL are near the size of our typical largest OL until Tope showed up (Campbell 6’3 321 / Neto 6’5 314 / Banks 6’5 318). Cam is the largest since who knows when (2008 for sure but the online roster stops there) plus another that would have been the largest on any team without Tope.

This is without a doubt the thing that gives me the most hope for the success of the program. In the next three years we will have an OL that would dwarf one made from the largest players we have had on OL since Chuck. He may have thought he liked large humans. Flood is putting large humans on our roster. 

• Hook 'Em 7

My understating with Kirkland is that his top 5 all like him as a prospect but they have tired of the games he has played during his recruitment. I understand that while the top 5 would of taken his commitment at one time they have tired of his games and are no longer actively pursuing his commitment.

But I just want to know if they are tired of his games?