Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Nothing good will come out of this. If he picks us, I would doubt it sticks. This is a odd attempt at momentum for a staff that has nothing but momentum. So hopefully something happens before 7:30. 

The staff has been after this guy for a while. He was going to be a summer OV before rescheduling it for the season. Better to have him committed now than try to go for a flip.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry posted that Texas cancelled McVay's unofficial visit next weekend. They seem pretty confident in Kirkland. 

13 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Nothing good will come out of this. If he picks us, I would doubt it sticks. This is a odd attempt at momentum for a staff that has nothing but momentum. So hopefully something happens before 7:30. 

Idk that highest bidder recruitments tend to shake out that way. Maybe someone else jumps in late, but I doubt it. I also don't think it's as much of a momentum play as it is a Florida play with Baxter getting closer and Jerrick Gibson at the top of the '24 RB board. 

Edit to add: And Jordan Hall and Damon Wilson. Long shots, but Florida 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gerry posted that Texas cancelled McVay's unofficial visit next weekend. They seem pretty confident in Kirkland. 

Idk that highest bidder recruitments tend to shake out that way. Maybe someone else jumps in late, but I doubt it. I also don't think it's as much of a momentum play as it is a Florida play with Baxter getting closer and Jerrick Gibson at the top of the '24 RB board. 

+rep for bringing the Florida recruiting angle to attention. It is more likely to pay dividends than <check notes> East St. Louis, Illinois. 

Jokes aside, the staff must see Kirkland and McVay as the same type of player/prospect and are wanting to finish out recruiting the OL so that they can focus on other areas of need. McVay has fall official visits to Bama and Gator and Texas might not feel like that recruiting battle is worthwhile.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

It’s not about momentum. The staff has a couple guys on the board. One of them is announcing today and is gettable while we have a low chance with any of the others. So do what you gotta do to win this one and wrap up the class rather than hoping for a long shot down the line. 

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is a really weird recruitment. Twelve linemen in two classes is impressive. I expect a lot of roster churn at this position in the offseason. 

Sawyer Goram-Welch, Jake Majors, Christian Jones (graduates), Logan Parr, Jaylen Garth (medical retirement), Max Merril...anyone else?

This is where I’m at. Strong Perriloux vibes with this dude. But this staff has def earned the benefit of the doubt with recruiting so…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sawyer Goram-Welch, Jake Majors, Christian Jones (graduates), Logan Parr, Jaylen Garth (medical retirement), Max Merril...anyone else?

Jake Majors? He is a fucking starter, he may get beat out some time this year but he won't get processed, might transfer. The others, yeah.......bye.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Majors will be your starting Center until unseated by one of the smart guards not named DJ Campbell. Get used to that. Otherwise, I think this is probably right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

The kid was definitely doing way too much, he went so overboard trying to hide his intentions and it’s just not that important. If he needs this much attention now, I can easily see him publicly wavering on his commitment for more attention in the near future.

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

What are the OU mods saying?  I swear this feels like an "upside down Hook 'Em" setup.

I agree. Several days ago, this kid called Texas "Texass" That is commonly used on the ou forums. When I saw that, I thought this kid is going to ou. 

So how does the purge of OL work in conjunction with the pancake factory payouts? 

If you are a JAG and know it, how do they push you out with you knowing that you are going to have to now downgrade in degree quality, NIL payout, and all the amenities that came with being a UT football player? I would be holding  on for dear life to make sure worst case I get my undergrad done and taking the NIL payouts as long as I can.

Can you keep your NIL $ if you “medically retire”? 

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The kid was definitely doing way too much, he went so overboard trying to hide his intentions and it’s just not that important. If he needs this much attention now, I can easily see him publicly wavering on his commitment for more attention in the near future.

Looks like the kind of kid to hold an elaborate signing day ceremony where he "surprisingly" flips to another school.

5 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So how does the purge of OL work in conjunction with the pancake factory payouts? 

If you are a JAG and know it, how do they push you out with you knowing that you are going to have to now downgrade in degree quality, NIL payout, and all the amenities that came with being a UT football player? I would be holding  on for dear life to make sure worst case I get my undergrad done and taking the NIL payouts as long as I can.

contracts have terms which can differ than the rules.  Can be for a year(term) and no longer than enrolled (rule).

1 hour ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

Kirkland will announce at Dezerland, a Main event adjacent concept on I-drive in Orlando. Instructions say "dress to impress" and....er...what does that actually mean when the people you're intending to impress are bowlers?

steve buscemi film GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Great looking class for Texas…STATE smh 🤦‍♂️ 

• Devon Campbell Bowie (Arlington, TX) 6-3 / 310. ...
  • Kelvin Banks Summer Creek (Humble, TX) ...
  • Neto Umeozulu Allen (Allen, TX) ...
  • Cole Hutson Frisco (Frisco, TX) ...
  • Cameron Williams Duncanville (Duncanville, TX) ...
  • Connor Robertson Westlake (Austin, TX) .
  • Malik Agbo
  • Connor Stroh
  • Trevor Goosby
  • Andre Cujoe
  • Payton Kirkland
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is definitely one of the most bizarre recruitments I can remember. I guess I need to recalibrate my self-righteous indignation meter now that flat out buying players is within bounds. I understand that we are in the best position in the country to take advantage of the new rules, but I still feel dirty about it. The moral high ground was the last thing we could hang on to when everything else went to shit. I suppose I'll just hold my nose and take solace in knowing that we would have lost this kid to some sec bagman in the past. And of course, I'll continue my monthly autopay to burnt ends. 

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

Sean Penn Starz GIF by Gaslit

Maybe he just likes pancakes.

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:
  • Devon Campbell Bowie (Arlington, TX) 6-3 / 310. ...
  • Kelvin Banks Summer Creek (Humble, TX) ...
  • Neto Umeozulu Allen (Allen, TX) ...
  • Cole Hutson Frisco (Frisco, TX) ...
  • Cameron Williams Duncanville (Duncanville, TX) ...
  • Connor Robertson Westlake (Austin, TX) .
  • Malik Agbo
  • Connor Stroh
  • Trevor Goosby
  • Andre Cujoe
  • Payton Kirkland

plus Chatman

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is definitely one of the most bizarre recruitments I can remember. I guess I need to recalibrate my self-righteous indignation meter now that flat out buying players is within bounds. I understand that we are in the best position in the country to take advantage of the new rules, but I still feel dirty about it. The moral high ground was the last thing we could hang on to when everything else went to shit. I suppose I'll just hold my nose and take solace in knowing that we would have lost this kid to some sec bagman in the past. And of course, I'll continue my monthly autopay to burnt ends. 

It's a weird one for sure. Especially bc this probably isn't a guy we pulled out major bags for considering last year's OL class and this year's commits. 

8 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

Our lesser bags > their average bags?

Pancake factory is public knowledge. Scholly O-line gets $50k per. Texas doesn’t even have to make a pitch to individuals for them to know this. If other schools aren’t willing/able to match Texas’ base offer, a recruit knows that this offer is always on the table (assuming the coaches are willing to accept the commitment). The floor for O-line will always be good due to this. The concept of paying entire positions is genius, assuming your boosters/alumni have the bank to back it

• Hook 'Em 7

Get your shit together, Mitch. We’ve had cheaters kicking sand in our collective face for 15 years when it comes to the OL and the shitty results have followed. Now isn’t the time to start feeling conflicted. Fuck. 

Fuck right. I’m 100 in on this new way of doing things. What matters is football and smearing shit in mfer faces. Fuck losing and fuck a slice, we coming for the whole pie!
  • Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Athletic scholarships generally have to be renewed annually. So, not too hard to purge the roster with some intentional conversations.

To my knowledge, the Pancake Factory only covers scholarship offensive linemen. I have no idea what happens when someone metrically retires in terms of NIL, but they still retain their scholarship without counting towards the 85-man limit.

@RGBIII - I’m sure you have that specific answer.