The 2018 New Music Thread

C-Man

9 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Spotify. The internet. Only radio I listen to is sports.

Yeah me too. But I'm just wondering how the new superstars get big via Spotify. Spotify recommends stuff to me through Discover Weekly and Release Radar. Is that how they do it?

Where do millenials find new music? I look at the music festival lineups and there are a lot of bands that aren't on the radio, even headliners.

Anywhere but the radio. I used this website as a good resource years ago and since then added Spotify, pitchfork, and albumoftheyear.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using Spotify for the last year or so. Wondering about Apple Music, though? Thoughts on the two -- better/worse, etc?

Spotify's utter lack of customer care is baffling. If something gets wonky, there's almost nowhere to turn to figure out what to do. I'm on the Family plan and it's been a major hassle getting the kids up and running, especially if they change things or things get deleted. I'm also not a huge fan of how they populate song lists -- in fact, I don't even know how they do it in the first place. Spotify's Daily Play lists seem very repetitive -- is it just pulling artists and songs from the things I've saved? I dunno.

Yep. Spotify seems to be the source.

I get that that’s where it all is, but how does an artist cut through the mass of content and get noticed?

I used to get a New Music Tuesday podcast from Apple that was pretty good but they discontinued it.

Here’s an example: Post Malone. Where’d he come from?

On 6/15/2018 at 6:29 PM, 4th&Five said:

I dig the 3 new Lucero songs that they’ve released for the new record. They played the album all the way through at Stubbs the other night and it was great for the most part. 

Their best album in a decade. 

Man, I just finally discovered Khruangbin and they're fucking amazing.  Had no idea they were from Houston. Not usually into mainly instrumental music, but I'm totally digging this.  

And this live set is just perfection. The bassist Laura Lee is officially my new music crush.  If you have an hour to spare and access to weed, I recommend lighting up and pressing play. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went through the new Death Cab full album one time. It's fine but pretty reminiscent of Plans and maybe others. I'm happy to have new DCFC music, was just hoping for something more daring after a long layoff. But I'll be there for the tour in a couple months.

Can I enter a negative review?

I loved Houndmouth. Both From the Hills Below the City and Little Neon Limelight. They were great. A unique sound, certainly. Something fresh.

Katie Toupin leaves the band and they decide to change their sound and aren’t the same anymore. They had something great going and now they don’t. The new album isn’t “bad” I guess, but it most certainly isn’t Houndmouth.

/rant.

19 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Can I enter a negative review?

I loved Houndmouth. Both From the Hills Below the City and Little Neon Limelight. They were great. A unique sound, certainly. Something fresh.

Katie Toupin leaves the band and they decide to change their sound and aren’t the same anymore. They had something great going and now they don’t. The new album isn’t “bad” I guess, but it most certainly isn’t Houndmouth.

/rant.

I’ve been with them since their first EP.  the new direction is not good.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Matthew Vasquez's (Delta Spirit) latest "supergroup" Glorietta released an album on 8/24. I'm still working through it but "Friends" is terrific. Playing Dallas, Austin and Houston on 12/13-12/15.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/glorietta-matthew-logan-vasquez-more-releasing-lp-touring-listen/

thats pretty cool.  david ramirez is fantastic.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Matthew Vasquez's (Delta Spirit) latest "supergroup" Glorietta released an album on 8/24. I'm still working through it but "Friends" is terrific. Playing Dallas, Austin and Houston on 12/13-12/15.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/glorietta-matthew-logan-vasquez-more-releasing-lp-touring-listen/

Thanks for the heads up.  Big fan of Matthew Logan Vasquez and David Ramirez.  Need to check this out.

CSB - I was at one of those KUTX SXSW morning shows the morning after a kickass Delta Spirit show.  I saw MLV outside smoking a cigarette, so I just went out and thanked him for the great show.  I was leaving and he pulled me back and we chatted for 5 minutes or so.  Randomly, I ran into him at dinner that night and we chatted some more.  Really good dude.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 10:12 PM, Stringer said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Big fan of Matthew Logan Vasquez and David Ramirez.  Need to check this out.

CSB - I was at one of those KUTX SXSW morning shows the morning after a kickass Delta Spirit show.  I saw MLV outside smoking a cigarette, so I just went out and thanked him for the great show.  I was leaving and he pulled me back and we chatted for 5 minutes or so.  Randomly, I ran into him at dinner that night and we chatted some more.  Really good dude.

Man I loved Delta Spirit. Saw them twice in Tulsa back in the '08-'10 time frame.... once at Cain's and the other time they were opening for My Morning Jacket at Brady Theater. They were amazing live.  "History from Below" is still one of my favorite albums of the past 10 years.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a few listens to fully appreciate it but the new Swearin' album is fantastic. Three years ago the band broke up following the end of the romantic relationship between the two singers/guitarists/songwriters, Alison Crutchfield and Kyle Gilbride. The reunited version of Swearin' makes more space for Gilbride. His voice and his style feature prominently on the album, and you can feel that both people are bringing in material that grew out of the time spent apart. The switching back and forth between them creates this tension and variety between the songs that makes the album more as a whole than the sum of its parts. The two singles are probably as good a place to start as any (other than starting at the beginning and listening through). Each video has an intro where they explain it works better with 3D glasses, you can skip that part.