Oklahoma State @ Texas - 630PM on ABC: Mensas vs Mullets

Hagbard Celine

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

i was pissed at the game, but rewatching the replay It looks like the ball was short when his knee came down. Not a full yard, but short. The ensuing play call of lining up with all receivers and no back and having Sam keep the ball was plain garbage by Herman. he isn't fooling anybody and leaves nobody in there to block. It was almost as bad as his call on 4th and 3 earlier in the game of a hurry up hand off to Roschon. Herman's playcalling is great except for some crucial spots in games where we HAVE to convert and he does shit that has little chance of working.

I've never seen Texas successfully execute a hurry up play on a short distance to gain. Usually it's so telegraphed that the entire defense ends up in the back field making the tackle, even though they were severely out of position at the snap.

• Like 1

My late thoughts after watching the game. I was unable too on Saturday night due to family function.

1. Herman take the dame points when your dominating the game. Don't give the other team a chance to gain hope.

2. Herman stop going into a freaking offensive turtle shell with the lead. Nut up and play to win. LSU did so and got themselves a TD that put the game away.

3. The majority of the kids played great and were let down by the offensive coaches at critical times and a few stupid mistakes by teamates.

refs are fucking lazy as shit these days. they do this shit for every college game i watch, erring a half yard to a whole yard on either side of the sticks. Funny that measuring used to be a regular part of the game and now they're just like, eh, close enough, move em. fuckin boomers.
boomers?

wat?

0ddcae34950613f6ca3ec8e150f31d82.jpg6d1b55ad9b8f6257e402ff8254f889af.jpg

Herman's playcalling is great except for some crucial spots in games where we HAVE to convert and he does shit that has little chance of working.

yeah but ya gotta admit that the three play sequence at the end of the game to get the first was pretty damn good. two useless dives into the line to set up the counter sam ran for the first to seal the game. of course that whole sequence was unnecessary if mensa doesn't make several boneheaded calls earlier in the game.

• Like 1

Anybody ever stop to think that maybe Herman's propensity to go conservative with a big lead is just a strategy of not putting anything on film that he doesn't absolutely need to? I mean we're still really early in the season.

And really, it took a muffed punt for them to even have a "shot", and that "shot" was an onside kick attempt that obviously failed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

But not really. They explained why while it was being reviewed. It may have been a little short, but it’s where the ball is as his body crosses the sideline. 

Item 2. Runner Out of Bounds. If the ball is in player possession when that player goes out of bounds, the out-of-bounds spot is the forward point of the ball when the ball crosses the side line.

If you want to extend the ball when going out of bounds, you have to reach the ball back inside the plane of the sideline.  He doesn't get the extra yard or two where he leapt across the sideline.

11 hours ago, po elvis said:

Herman's playcalling is great except for some crucial spots in games where we HAVE to convert and he does shit that has little chance of working.

Except for some crucial spots in games where we HAVE to convert and he calls a good play and we convert, like the third down conversion by Sam that sealed the win.

Item 2. Runner Out of Bounds. If the ball is in player possession when that player goes out of bounds, the out-of-bounds spot is the forward point of the ball when the ball crosses the side line.
If you want to extend the ball when going out of bounds, you have to reach the ball back inside the plane of the sideline.  He doesn't get the extra yard or two where he leapt across the sideline.
On this particular play, the ball was out of bounds for about 5 yards with his feet still in bounds. His body crossed the boundary at the 3-yd line. I don't know how they determine the "forward point of the ball when the ball crosses the side line" if it's already out of bounds for several yards while the runner is still in bounds.

1 minute ago, Modessit said:

On this particular play, the ball was out of bounds for about 5 yards with his feet still in bounds. His body crossed the boundary at the 3-yd line. I don't know how they determine the "forward point of the ball when the ball crosses the side line" if it's already out of bounds for several yards while the runner is still in bounds.

If the ball gets brought back in without the runner being down, it's still live.  And that is any part of ball.  Like tennis/soccer the ball has to completely cross to be out.

I'm not going to rewatch, but from memory the player stepped on the sideline just past the 3, but was already a yard out of bounds.  You go back from that point to determine the last time any part of the ball the was in the field of play, which was around the 4 yard line.

When watching live I remember thinking the spot should have actually been moved back about 2 feet.

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Anybody ever stop to think that maybe Herman's propensity to go conservative with a big lead is just a strategy of not putting anything on film that he doesn't absolutely need to? I mean we're still really early in the season.

lol. i don't even know how to respond to that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

And really, it took a muffed punt for them to even have a "shot", and that "shot" was an onside kick attempt that obviously failed.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

I swear to god that sounded just like Hornfans circa 2001-2004.  "Mack keeps the playbook vanilla so that OU cant figure out what we are doing"   2 weeks later, Ou slaughters us, again... and only AFTER that game destruction does Mack open up the playbook.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

Really? Because when you run a WR screen to Duvernay 8000 times a game, because it's a play that you can simply line up and beat most people with time and again, i think it's not ludicrous to wonder.

Kinda bummed they couldn't save the double reverse flea flicker for OU, tbh

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yeah. It certainly wasn’t obviously short. That was the problem replay had with it. It’s really wasn’t a bad spot, definitely not egregiously short of where it should have been. 

Let’s just make certain we never employ the tech involved in deciding whether or not a ball is in/out as they do in tennis. We don’t need these computers doing the work of the zebras. We want them to use poor judgment. 

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

If you’re good at what you do as a designer of offensive putting shit on film doesn’t matter. In fact you put shit on film to get them thinking “oh wow they could do THAT...now we gotta plan for that as well”

Then you fuck then up the ass with what’s behind door number 3.

Solid point, i was just throwing it out there.

I'm not going to rewatch, but from memory the player stepped on the sideline just past the 3, but was already a yard out of bounds.  You go back from that point to determine the last time any part of the ball the was in the field of play, which was around the 4 yard line.

He was running at the edge of the sideline with the ball in his right hand being held outside the sideline from about the 8, so if it's the last time the ball was in bounds it would've been moved back to that point. When he was about to be tackled he immediately went out of bounds crossing the sideline at about the 3 and came down out of bounds at the 2. Ball was marked at the 4 and reviewed. "The call on the field stands" because there wasn't a good angle to show the exact point his body crossed - 3.5, 3.1, 2.7, etc. - but it was pretty obvious that it was closer to the 3 than the 4. Since the 1st down market was near the 3, I was surprised the didn't move it closer to the 3 and measure.

32 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Really? Because when you run a WR screen to Duvernay 8000 times a game, because it's a play that you can simply line up and beat most people with time and again, i think it's not ludicrous to wonder.

Kinda bummed they couldn't save the double reverse flea flicker for OU, tbh

so they run a play to Duvernay that works all of the time for three quarters, but they hold back on that play at the end of games when we need first downs so future opponents won't know about that play?

10 minutes ago, Modessit said:

He was running at the edge of the sideline with the ball in his right hand being held outside the sideline from about the 8, so if it's the last time the ball was in bounds it would've been moved back to that point. When he was about to be tackled he immediately went out of bounds crossing the sideline at about the 3 and came down out of bounds at the 2. Ball was marked at the 4 and reviewed. "The call on the field stands" because there wasn't a good angle to show the exact point his body crossed - 3.5, 3.1, 2.7, etc. - but it was pretty obvious that it was closer to the 3 than the 4. Since the 1st down market was near the 3, I was surprised the didn't move it closer to the 3 and measure.

To me it was pretty obvious it was the around the 3.5.  They marked it another foot back or so from where I though it was.  So like others have said, not egregious by any means.  If the ballcarrier doesn't want there to be any doubt, then don't tightrope the sideline and leave room for doubt.

Edited by utee94

4 minutes ago, po elvis said:

so they run a play to Duvernay that works all of the time for three quarters, but they hold back on that play at the end of games when we need first downs so future opponents won't know about that play?

Not trying to get the guy hurt, already had plenty of guys go down in that game.

40 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I swear to god that sounded just like Hornfans circa 2001-2004.  "Mack keeps the playbook vanilla so that OU cant figure out what we are doing"   2 weeks later, Ou slaughters us, again... and only AFTER that game destruction does Mack open up the playbook.

Don't forget plays the best players even if they are freshman after the debacle. Although, I think Tom does take more risk with freshman than Mack.

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think your premise is without merit but lets assume you are correct for arguments sake. At that point Tom should take a page from Vince when he was told that OU knew the play call from an offensive lineman. Vince said "So what" and then threw a long touchdown pass to Romance Taylor. When you are better dare the other team to stop what you do well. That is what elite teams do.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Or finally decide to play the phenom freshman running back.

I don't think Herman goes conservative with big leads because he is trying to hide plays. I think he is like Bill Parcels and it is in his nature to play the MENSA statistics that tell him to go low risk. Just like Bill it is going to cost Herman dearly once teams catch on to his strategy because they know they can safely load the box.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I think your premise is without merit but lets assume you are correct for arguments sake. At that point Tom should take a page from Vince when he was told that OU knew the play call from an offensive lineman. Vince said "So what" and then threw a long touchdown pass to Romance Taylor. When you are better dare the other team to stop what you do well. That is what elite teams do.

Billie Pittman

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Ah yes. The old Greg Davis phone book. 

Now I'm triggered 

18 hours ago, Homercles said:

but I feel that their uptempo offense is bringing the defensive struggles of the BigXII to the SEC

LSU 2011: 62 offensive snaps per game
LSU 2019: 71 offensive snaps per game

...don’t get a lot of rest

By what standard? Their TOP isn't significantly different than it was under Miles, their offense is more efficient than Miles' could be in his wildest fucking dreams, and they turn the ball over considerably less.

defend more possessions

They're averaging 0.5 more possessions per game than they did in Miles' best years, and their average TOP is different by a factor of 3 minutes. 

Seems to me like their D just flat out isn't as good as it used to be, but they've more than made up for those deficits with outstanding offensive play.

Edited by hpslugga

.  If the ballcarrier doesn't want there to be any doubt, then don't tightrope the sideline and leave room for doubt.

A bigger problem is getting a late hit penalty for hitting him a half-second after his foot hits out of bounds so the next time the defender eases up and the guy tightropes another 5 yards.
  • Like 2

If you’re good at what you do as a designer of offensive putting shit on film doesn’t matter. In fact you put shit on film to get them thinking “oh wow they could do THAT...now we gotta plan for that as well”

Then you fuck then up the ass with what’s behind door number 3.
i would like to have sexual relations with Tiffany Coyne.

Just now, Modessit said:

A bigger problem is getting a late hit penalty for hitting him a half-second after his foot hits out of bounds so the next time the defender eases up and the guy tightropes another 5 yards.

Yeah I really hate that.  Should pretty much be exempt from a late hit on a tight-roping ballcarrier, unless it's 5 yards outside the line or something way out there.

But the way they're calling roughing the QB is even worse these days, IMO.  It's like the defender is expected to assume the QB is going to release the ball in time, rather than pump fake or tuck and run.  I'm seeing a lot more cases lately, of a defender easing up to avoid a roughing call, and allowing the QB either to escape or have time to throw the ball out of bounds. Hitting a QB right when the ball is released can get you a roughing call, it's pathetic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

It "correctly" would have been about the 3.5, but there was no conclusive review to show that. They couldn't change the call.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I really hate that.  Should pretty much be exempt from a late hit on a tight-roping ballcarrier, unless it's 5 yards outside the line or something way out there.

But the way they're calling roughing the QB is even worse these days, IMO.  It's like the defender is expected to assume the QB is going to release the ball in time, rather than pump fake or tuck and run.  I'm seeing a lot more cases lately, of a defender easing up to avoid a roughing call, and allowing the QB either to escape or have time to throw the ball out of bounds. Hitting a QB right when the ball is released can get you a roughing call, it's pathetic.

All of this.

You're gonna have your QB run the ball and get cute near the sideline, don't be surprised when he gets leveled.

And the roughing is such horse shit like you said. You would literally need telepathic powers to know whether or not to hit the QB. 

On 9/23/2019 at 6:02 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Holy shit. Just rewatched the game and the spot on the 2nd down swing pass (8 min left) to Jake Smith is almost 2 yards short. Its one of the worst spots ive seen in a while, and should have been a first down.

Instead, we try sam on 3rd down and dont get it, forcing us to punt. Anyone else see that bullshit?

And these guys are supposed to be professional.

Rewatching the game now. OK State's back seven, especially the secondary, is pretty good. Their defensive gameplan conceded the short throws, but they did a nice job of making sure those didn't go for long gains. For the most part, they were doing a good job of contesting intermediate and deep throws, coverage bust vs Eagles and the trick play non withstanding. Their DL is bad though. Texas OL totally abused them that that hamstring their LB's ability to make plays, which I think is what they wanted to do vs the run.

I'm not sure how good the OSU OL is. I heard them talked up but I don't see it. Okay, they protected Sanders, but the Texas DL is not a good pass rushing unit and Orlando didn't blitz too much. Some blitzes did pressure Sanders but he's clearly a more gifted runner than Texas realized. Texas controlled the LOS vs the run. Hubbard is an elite back and was largely bottled up.

Sanders is a gamer. He'll be a problem for the B12 over the course of this season and the next three. He will be Gundy's best QB when he's done.

I think OSU ends up with a pretty good record but teams with the horses to replicate the defensive gameplan Texas deployed and control the LOS one offense will be tough for them. I think that list is short: OU, ISU, TCU, and maybe KSU. OK State should be an eight or nine win team this year. If their DL was just a little bit better I'd say they're a legit CCG threat but I just don't see how they handle OU defensively. Shame because they can absolutely score on the land thieves.

Honestly very little to criticize for Texas offensively aside from Epps. He's a less fluid CJ without the ball skills. Poor game from him. Wish Herman wouldn't turtle with a lead but that's something we just have to live with at this point.

Texas defense battled and found a way to come up with a few key stops against a powerful offensive unit. Brandon Jones played a really nice game. Nice to see TQ Graham make some plays as well. DL in general played really well - not big in thr big on the box score but did their jobs well. Coburn is a guy whose impact won't be seen in the box score, but the double teams he commands are invaluable. The DB injuries suck but that's a performance the defense can build on. Gameplan was much better from Orlando too. Stay sound against the run, keep everything in front of you, and let your athletes make plays. Put the onus on your opponent to sustain 10+ play drives.

And obviously fix the goddamn punt returns.

Overall nice win over a solid opponent. Glad to get them out of the way now before Sanders settles into B12 play. And glad to get the monkey off the back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The oSu QB has wheels! I'm thinking that the Cowboy OC is, right now, installing more sweep and option packages. He's still a freshman and is learning, but that offense will be very dangerous once a given play has more than one target. Right now, when he starts the play, it's either a pass or a run. If it's a run, it's going to the RB. The defense can therefore sell out to stop it.

A lot of his big completions were oSu vintage style. By that, I mean he completely misread the defense, threw an ill advised pass to a double covered receiver - who then out fought two defenders for a big catch!

He's got a lot to learn, but pure speed covers up a ton of mental errors.

I know what everyone is saying about turtling and it can be frustrating but all you have to so is see what happened in the UCLA - Was State game to see why coaches do it.

When you have a lead you want to burn clock, the pirate never believed in that and see what happens. WSU was up 49-17 with only 6:30 left in the third quarter and they still lost!

a2a6de1f180922644959112b66cfcae5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I know what everyone is saying about turtling and it can be frustrating but all you have to so is see what happened in the UCLA - Was State game to see why coaches do it.

When you have a lead you want to burn clock, the pirate never believed in that and see what happens. WSU was up 49-17 with only 6:30 left in the third quarter and they still lost!

a2a6de1f180922644959112b66cfcae5.jpg

To be fair look at the drives.. 10 plays 75 yards.. Not on Leach... Then Fumbled the kickoff. 1 Play TD..  Then they pin them inside the 10 after killing 2 minutes  and guy rips off a 94 yard TD on 1 play. That was still in the 3rdQ.  At that point it was a close game. That's just how CFB games go sometimes. 

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Rewatching the game now. OK State's back seven, especially the secondary, is pretty good. Their defensive gameplan conceded the short throws, but they did a nice job of making sure those didn't go for long gains. For the most part, they were doing a good job of contesting intermediate and deep throws, coverage bust vs Eagles and the trick play non withstanding. Their DL is bad though. Texas OL totally abused them that that hamstring their LB's ability to make plays, which I think is what they wanted to do vs the run.

I'm not sure how good the OSU OL is. I heard them talked up but I don't see it. Okay, they protected Sanders, but the Texas DL is not a good pass rushing unit and Orlando didn't blitz too much. Some blitzes did pressure Sanders but he's clearly a more gifted runner than Texas realized. Texas controlled the LOS vs the run. Hubbard is an elite back and was largely bottled up.

Sanders is a gamer. He'll be a problem for the B12 over the course of this season and the next three. He will be Gundy's best QB when he's done.

I think OSU ends up with a pretty good record but teams with the horses to replicate the defensive gameplan Texas deployed and control the LOS one offense will be tough for them. I think that list is short: OU, ISU, TCU, and maybe KSU. OK State should be an eight or nine win team this year. If their DL was just a little bit better I'd say they're a legit CCG threat but I just don't see how they handle OU defensively. Shame because they can absolutely score on the land thieves.

Good thoughts.  Mine are much the same with a few nuances...

Agreed that our back seven are good. I thought the corners (Green and Williams) had fantastic games... probably among the best they've played.

On the OL - it's not like they are like the OU line from the past several years, but they are good.  From what I saw, our problems in the run game stemmed from three things (1) Texas' excellent game plan to take away the outside zone run... we've been living on that this year and we gashed you guys on it last year... the coaches had the corners crashing down on it all night long while running cloud coverage on Wallace; (2) Spencer Sanders' inability to recognize when that was happening pre-snap and make the proper adjustment; (3) Our coaches' stubbornly refusing to change things when it was clear that Texas game-planned to take away the outside zone AND Sanders was having a hard time identifying it.

It was a great gameplan by the Texas coaches to realize we've been leaning on that all year (likely because we are trying to move Sanders along slowly) and betting that Sanders' inexperience would probably keep him from making the proper adjustments at the LOS.

Yes our DL is certainly the weak point of the defense, and what I'm hoping is that the coaches start doing some more creative things with our back 7, since they are the strength of the defense. 

I agree what you say about Sanders and the rest of the season for us.  Every team we play will definitely load up to stop the outside zone until either (A) Sanders shows he can recognize and adjust at the LOS or (B) the coaches make some changes to scheme/game plan.  

I think this K-State game this week will be VERY telling on both of those counts.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes our DL is certainly the weak point of the defense, and what I'm hoping is that the coaches start doing some more creative things with our back 7, since they are the strength of the defense. I agree what you say about Sanders and the rest of the season for us.  Every team we play will definitely load up to stop the outside zone until either (A) Sanders shows he can recognize and adjust at the LOS or (B) the coaches make some changes to scheme/game plan.  I think this K-State game this week will be VERY telling on both of those counts.

Getting a physical K-State team that's coming off their bye week right after playing a physical Texas team really sucks for Okie Lite.

Good Luck...

1 hour ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

The oSu QB has wheels! I'm thinking that the Cowboy OC is, right now, installing more sweep and option packages. He's still a freshman and is learning, but that offense will be very dangerous once a given play has more than one target. Right now, when he starts the play, it's either a pass or a run. If it's a run, it's going to the RB. The defense can therefore sell out to stop it.

A lot of his big completions were oSu vintage style. By that, I mean he completely misread the defense, threw an ill advised pass to a double covered receiver - who then out fought two defenders for a big catch!

He's got a lot to learn, but pure speed covers up a ton of mental errors.

I disagree its about "misreading" a defense. Gundy's offenses, including his time as Les Miles' offensive coordinator, involve a lot of 50-50 bombs to super athletic or talented receivers who make them more like 80-20 (Woods, Bowman, Dez, Blackmon, Washington, Wallace) . It's rarely a true double cover, but sometimes on really deep balls the safety has time to come close, but was never really a threat based on their starting position. Sure, some are prayers into double coverage, but I've seen enough of those completed to know it's often by design. Last year's OSU-UT game involved Wallace making a great catch over two defenders , but it was more a result of an underthrown ball. If Corndog had put more on it, he could have caught it right in his hands ahead of both those guys. He had separation but had to come back to the ball and timed his jump perfectly. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1