Oklahoma State @ Texas - 630PM on ABC: Mensas vs Mullets

Hagbard Celine

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

What if a win vs aggy guaranteed that Charlie Strong would be our coach for the next decade?

/conflicted

false premise: if Strong were good enough to beat aggy, ou, Kansas, ... you know, the teams on our schedule or not? then having him as a coach wouldn't be a bad thing

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I still dont understand Gundy’s penchant for running the ball all game? What was his pass/run split?

Seems like he ran the ball more than he threw it last night... and essentially helped us win the game

Watching the flow of the game, Sanders was terrible the last couple of drives before OSU started to run the ball almost every down.  I suspect this is what Mullet was thinking:

1st and 15 at OSU43  Sanders,Spencer deep pass incomplete to Wallace, Tylan (Kobe Boyce).

2nd and 15 at OSU43  Hubbard, Chuba rush over left guard for 6 yards to the OSU49 (Joseph Ossai).

3rd and 9 at OSU49  Sanders,Spencer pass intercepted by Chris Brown at the UT43, Chris Brown return 10 yards to the OSU47, QB hurry by Moro Ojomo.

1st and 10 at OSU11 Hubbard, Chuba rush up middle for 2 yards to the OSU13 (Moro Ojomo).
2nd and 8 at OSU13 Sanders,Spencer middle pass incomplete to Carter, Logan (Ta'Quon Graham).
3rd and 8 at OSU13 Sanders,Spencer OUT pass incomplete to Stoner, Dillon.
4th and 8 at OSU13 Hutton, Tom punt 30 yards to the OSU43, Byron Vaughns return -6 yards to the OSU49.

4 straight incompletions including an INT probably told Gundy that his freshman QB wasn't going to win the game for him.  After some nice runs to start the next drive (at 5:00 left in the game), Sanders further confirmed Gundy's prognosis:

1st and 10 at OSU10 Hubbard, Chuba rush over left tackle for 5 yards to the OSU15 (Ayodele Adeoye).
2nd and 5 at OSU15 Sanders,Spencer rush over right end for 10 yards to the OSU25, 1ST DOWN OSU.
1st and 10 at OSU25 Hubbard, Chuba rush over left guard for 4 yards to the OSU29 (Jeff McCulloch).
2nd and 6 at OSU29 Sanders,Spencer deep pass incomplete to McCray, Jordan.
3rd and 6 at OSU29 Sanders,Spencer pass incomplete to Moore, C.J..
4th and 6 at OSU29 PENALTY OSU false start (Schneider, Ry) 5 yards to the OSU24.
4th and 11 at OSU24 Hutton, Tom punt 30 yards to the UT46, Brandon Jones return 0 yards to the UT46, fumble by Brandon Jones recovered by OSU Siverand, Kemah at UT46.

His QB couldn't win the game throwing the ball.  Gundy went with the best of his bad alternatives at this point.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Thought this was funny on reddit 

Friendship ended with Tim Beck Screen™, now Tim Beck Reverse Flea Flicker™ is my best friend.”

Origin:

spacer.png

For me, there  is no antidote to that meme. Laugh every damn time it pops up. 

There was a point in the game last night where the cameras were on Duvernay and he had a huge smile on his face the whole time. I was in the courtyard, drunk, watching through a glass door and couldn’t hear. Anybody catch what he was smiling about?  Just smiling about his success, or did something happen? 

Edited by GotThatFire

1 hour ago, Sleepygrad said:

Pretty sure it was Rece Davis calling the LSU game with Herbstreet, not Fowler, but your point still remains

It was. And with those 14 dives by LSU, they never accused LSU of “taking a dive.” Herbstriet doesn’t try to hide that he roots for whoever we’re playing. And fuck Fowler. 

There was a point in the game last night where the cameras were on Duvernay and he had a huge smile on his face the whole time. I was in the courtyard, drunk, watching through a glass door and couldn’t hear. Anybody catch what he was smiling about?  Just smiling about his success, or did something happen? 
football makes me smile, too

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Needed to feed the playmaker Epps. 

Epps was disappointing to say the least. Doesn't seem like he wants to be out there. That over the shoulder ball was right through his hands if pushes a little. For a guy that big, he apparently doesn't like to play football. Wonder if they'll bury him or somehow try to get him motivated. 

13 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Epps was disappointing to say the least. Doesn't seem like he wants to be out there. That over the shoulder ball was right through his hands if pushes a little. For a guy that big, he apparently doesn't like to play football. Wonder if they'll bury him or somehow try to get him motivated. 

I’ve never seen a more feeble collection of attempts at “attacking” the ball from a WR. It was even worse opposite of Tylan Wallace. 

On the positive: I thought the front seven looked great, esp Roach and Coburn. Juwan Mitchell has been a pleasant surprise as well, and Ossai is our best tackler. 

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

1 minute ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

I’ll never seen a a more feeble collection of attempts at “attacking” the ball from a WR. It was even worse opposite of Tylan Wallace. 

On the positive: I thought the front seven looked great, esp Roach and Coburn. Juwan Mitchell has been a pleasant surprise as well, and Ossai is our best tackler. 

Agreed on the front 7. They bullied and bulldozed the OSU line. Linebackers seemed much more active than in previous games and even corners like Jamison were coming up and helping to stop the run. Still some surprising gaffs in coverage, though. Even when the dbs are in good position on the ball, they appear to have trouble making plays, as in that long bomb Sanders threw to our 3. 

59 minutes ago, Yesh said:

I don't remember hearing McCulloch being mentioned the last couple weeks.  Are we only asking him to be steady in the middle and he is competent but unspectacular?  Or is he about to be passed by other guys?

He was beside Roach blowing up the right side of the Cowboy oline on that 4th and goal play. 

His QB couldn't win the game throwing the ball.  Gundy went with the best of his bad alternatives at this point.

I wish you could post on the Poke fan Facebook group where a bunch of new money morons want to fire everyone and pull scholarships. I listened some on the radio and saw the stat line and it looks like (1) our D played better than anyone should have expected, (2) Texas’ front seven are pretty fucking good and made it hard to convert on 3rd and short, and (3) our freshman QB in his first big time road game made some great plays but some big mistakes too which isn’t the fucking end of the world at this point in his career. We definitely shot ourselves in the foot multiple times and could have won, but we were the underdog for a reason and I still like where we are as a team. A win at home against KSU next would go a long way to instill some confidence going forward.
  • Like 5

I wish you could post on the Poke fan Facebook group where a bunch of new money morons want to fire everyone and pull scholarships. I listened some on the radio and saw the stat line and it looks like (1) our D played better than anyone should have expected, (2) Texas’ front seven are pretty fucking good and made it hard to convert on 3rd and short, and (3) our freshman QB in his first big time road game made some great plays but some big mistakes too which isn’t the fucking end of the world at this point in his career. We definitely shot ourselves in the foot multiple times and could have won, but we were the underdog for a reason and I still like where we are as a team. A win at home against KSU next would go a long way to instill some confidence going forward.
Osu is easily my favorite big 12 matchup. Games are nearly always exciting, and fans are rational and generally a welcome addition to the board.

You guys have a hell of a team, and particularly one hell of a young QB. Would love to see him get pissed and enter the portal so we don't have to face him as he gets better.

Really intrigued by your matchup with ksu. Two teams I didn't expect a lot from this year who both have looked really solid. Should be a good matchup
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Osu is easily my favorite big 12 matchup. Games are nearly always exciting, and fans are rational and generally a welcome addition to the board.

You guys have a hell of a team, and particularly one hell of a young QB. Would love to see him get pissed and enter the portal so we don't have to face him as he gets better.

Really intrigued by your matchup with ksu. Two teams I didn't expect a lot from this year who both have looked really solid. Should be a good matchup

Just wanted to add that real OSU fans who have been through the shit are rational. Those who joined the ranks post Gundy are spoiled babies who lose their shit any time we lose a game.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

Just wanted to add that real OSU fans who have been through the shit are rational. Those who joined the ranks post Gundy are spoiled babies who lose their shit any time we lose a game.

I thought your 4th quarter was poorly coached.  I would be pissed if I was an OSU fan crusty or not. 

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I thought your 4th quarter was poorly coached.  I would be pissed if I was an OSU fan crusty or not. 

Didn't say anything about not being allowed to get pissed. I get pissed at all kinds of dumb shit related to OSU sports. That doesn't mean I want the whole coaching staff fired after the game. That's Aggy level delusion and I want no part of it.

• Like 4

Not reading 81 pages. Has the braindead horrifically stupid decision to go for 2 been discussed?
Are we talking about the one RoJo succeeded on? I've heard a bunch of people mention it as bad, but we got it. I guess y'all wanted to let 2 FGs beat us instead of tie? A TD was going to beat us regardless.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

All kidding aside and all the back and forth on here, I root for you guys when you are not playing us and especially when you play  OU Sucks.    But I still get pissed about the game a few years ago in Austin when the Big 12 Refs had an agenda and we got hosed.  Even not so friendly or impartial commentators saw the clusterfuck that was on display during that game. 

I couldn’t watch but that was a badass intro. “A rivalry doesn’t always need a name.” Yeah, historically you guys dominate, but our games have become fun an interesting these last ten years,and even before when we at least competed before you guys would stomp our hope.
  • Like 5

I can only say this after a win but tough not to like Mike, he says what every coach thinks. You fat, ungrateful mf'ers. Stop asking me dumb questions after we almost beat them on the road, again.

Watched this earlier in the day and loved it. He basically spends the entire time saying "we needed to score touchdowns and not field goals" over and over.

"You think I give a shit about social media?" was also a nice touch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Re-watched the game tonight. Coburn was more consistently disruptive than any tackle we’ve had since Malcom Brown. He’s a beast, and will be playing on Sunday for many years to come. 

I think you meant Poona but agree, we have a stud. Moro even flashed. 

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

My four years on campus went something like 3-8, 4-7 and two 5-6 seasons. My freshman year when I was in band we lost to Nebraska late at the Chiefs stadium and Texas due to a field goal. The damn coach just ran his son up the middle repeatedly, Tony Lindsay and Aso Pogi The Throwin Samoan we’re barely what I’d call quarterbacks.

Man I was worse then that.  My first two years were the last two years of Pat Jones. I don't recall exactly but I think we were 2-10 in consecutive years.  We didn't win a CONFERENCE GAME until halfway through my JUNIOR year (Bob Simmons' first year).  We were EASILY the worst program in the Big 8 at that point, and it wasn't close.  I think my senior year we were 5-6 and it felt like we won 10 games.  

So yeah, I'm pretty grateful for any success we have.

I'm not mad at all. I was actually ENCOURAGED what I saw out of the team Saturday night. I wondered how Sanders would handle the big stage, and boy did he handle it fine.  Sure, he made a few big mistakes, but given the stage, the team we were playing against and the fact that it was his 4th start, I feel DAMN GOOD about the QB position for the forseeable future.

I also thought the defense played pretty damn well.  I was sure Texas was going to hang 49-52 points on us like it ain't no thang.

And yeah, I'll be rooting for Texas the rest of the way.  Let's run the fucking table and meet again in the Big 12 title game.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

Just now, oSuJeff97 said:

I also thought the defense played pretty damn well.  I was sure Texas was going to hang 49-52 points on us like it ain't no thang.

Not hating or anything but we pretty much fell on the ball the last 3 possessions/entire 4th quarter. This is a common theme with Herman. Texas probably could have dropped 50 points if Herman didn't go conservative to end the game. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not hating or anything but we pretty much fell on the ball the last 3 possessions/entire 4th quarter. This is a common theme with Herman. Texas probably could have dropped 50 points if Herman didn't go conservative to end the game. 

Right. But I was taking that into consideration. I was expecting to be like 35-14 at halftime or some shit.

The defense made some plays when the game was still in doubt.  That's a huge step up from our normal thing of "the other team scores every goddamn possession."  :)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Weird quirk of Herman's. He's more than willing to do somewhat offensive things like making fun of Missouri's Drew Locke on the sidelines. But he won't run up the score, even when offensive reps are probably a good thing. 

Just now, Nowhichski said:

Weird quirk of Herman's. He's more than willing to do somewhat offensive things like making fun of Missouri's Drew Locke on the sidelines. But he won't run up the score, even when offensive reps are probably a good thing. 

With injuries on defense he just needs to have the mindset of "we gotta drop 50 on teams". I think this offense can do it. 

• Like 1

One really nice thing I noticed while watching the replay was how often the Texas and OSU players would help an opponent off the ground after the play was over.  You don't see that degree of sportsmanship much these days - much less as a regular thing throughout the game.  Good to see the mutual respect there between the teams as well as the fanbases. 

• Like 9