Tom Herman is a 2nd place coach

Brothahorn

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol what scheme did we run yesterday? What was the game plan? Who called the plays yesterday? Who calls the plays every week? 

We cant answer a single one of those questions and thats a problem

we started out trying to run screens to Duv, OU took that away, other receivers can't get open, oline not that good, best running back is a freshman qb, we scored 24 points the second half, fire everyone

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Ok now I remember.  It’s basically that positional football is not taught and it’s just a play sheet where guys do X on call Y but have no real understanding of what their role is in the defense.  

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious when every team we play has guys wide open in space that our players are not being taught how to play the game. Defense is supposed to look like what we saw from OU yesterday. Know where the ball is, where it’s likely to go and get there in a hurry. When Orlando’s defenses play well, that’s what it looks like. He needs to figure out what the fuck is causing them to be absolutely oblivious to the ball.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We only ran the ball 10 times yesterday

i think thats a RRS record for fewest RB carries, ever... for either team

That is a criminal stat. OU’s entire defensive game plan was based around frustrating and containing Sam. And they knew Tom would be too fucking stubborn to adjust and to commit to running the ball. RoJo was gashing them in Q3. Kirk Johnson never left the sideline. Absolutely criminal.

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We have 1 more year with a generational talent at QB, hence the sense of urgency.

Dig me some Sam, but he's a special leader and a good college QB.  Not sure I'd call him generational talent.

If RoJo picks up college QBing like he picked up college RBing, he might be generational.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious when every team we play has guys wide open in space that our players are not being taught how to play the game. Defense is supposed to look like what we saw from OU yesterday. Know where the ball is, where it’s likely to go and get there in a hurry. When Orlando’s defenses play well, that’s what it looks like. He needs to figure out what the fuck is causing them to be absolutely oblivious to the ball.

It's because their heads are full of his bullshit blitzes and calls.  They're too busy trying to remember whether they're supposed to break right or left in six-two-stack-monster-blue-waffle to cover the guy running past them.

His defenses, like DIaz before him, have only looked good when they were coached by regular coaches first, so they have more than a distant high school memory of what playing defense is about.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

When do we scrap this bullshit offense we are running and convert to the spread/air raid?

why not run what every high school in Texas is running?

you mean the offense Herman ran with a 3rd string qb to beat the shit out of Alabama for a championship? that bullshit offense?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Watching Hou and KC offenses run up and down the field - does UT have a tight end? Our offense is a fucking joke. If not for some talented athletes, we'd be in last place.

Cade Brewer played almost every snap on offense.  He had 1 catch for 10 yards.  He made up for it with pretty shitty blocking.

Just another way yesterday's game was a Greg Davis special.  We need a worthless TE out there because it's constitutionally mandated apparently, not because it strategically helps us.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Cade Brewer played almost every snap on offense.  He had 1 catch for 10 yards.  He made up for it with pretty shitty blocking.

Just another way yesterday's game was a Greg Davis special.  We need a worthless TE out there because it's constitutionally mandated apparently, not because it strategically helps us.  

Tom loves him some 11 personnel.  Fuck.  A less stubborn coach might throw in an extra blocking surface, instead.  Or maybe RoJo as a fullback.  I dunno.

Edited by TwiceHorn

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Tom needs to run the table.  none of the teams left on our schedule should be able to beat a team with the athletes we have.  if we do get beat, change needs to come and quickly.  no more Marylands.

Baylor has a better defense than we do.  It’s not all coaching, either. They have as good or better personnel.  Their best skill people on offense are also as good or better.  We could coach a good game against them and still lose by a close score.

Edited by ClubWhatever

Baylor has a better defense than we do.  It’s not all coaching, either. They have as good or better personnel.  Their best skill people on offense are also as good or better.  We could coach a good game against them and still lose by a close score.

This can’t be real.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Baylor needed the refs to escape Texas Tech in OT... since when did they become world beaters?

and what some of y'all that have a perceived perspective, sanity and general football knowledge fail to see on the mother fucking field: Poor play calling on both sides, poor tackling , poor angles, poor decisions and poor execution. look at the last two games. For fuck's sake man, you are definitely digging through horse shit to look for a pony.  Are we the last 50 teams in the country, no? Are we top 10? .....psssshh please bitch.

We are what are stats say we are.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

You can't hold sam accountable for all of the sacks while simultaneously acknowledging the OL non-performance.   My take is 90% of sam's fail yesterday was an OL scheme/execution which failed massively.

Imo the 90% is way too high. Maybe 50%. 

There were way too many times Sam should've thrown the ball away (and he had time) but he didn't. 

9 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I'm guessing there's a (conventional) screen pass in our playbook. 

If not, wouldn't be a bad idea to put one in for situations where the other team's d-line is just teeing off on your poor QB.

we ran one conventional screen to Roschon.  I think it got about 8 yards.

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I don't recall it but I'll defer to you.

I remember it because I said "finally".  to your point we needed to run more screens/motion/misdirection.  Harsin would have killed that D with all kinds of motion/misdirection/screens

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We only ran the ball 10 times yesterday

i think thats a RRS record for fewest RB carries, ever... for either team

I had to look this up, and technically it was 13 rushes if you include Duvernay and don't count Sams 23 for -9.  That is fucking pathetic.  Why didn't RoJo get at least 15 carries, maybe 20.  

I get that we have injuries and lack of depth, but man, that was a bullshit game plan we trotted out there yesterday.  The truly frustrating thing for me is that we appear to be heading into another long stretch of seeing the superior coach on the OU sidelines.  Not sure I can stand another decade of watching OU win the conference while we limp dick our way to a 10 win record and the Alamo Bowl.

I guess I have to root for Riley to take an NFL job, because after the Big 12 Championship and this game, I feel pretty confident last year's RRS was the outlier.  Herman almost lost that one by playing like a Mack disciple and turtling in the second half.

OP may be wrong, but Herman has some proving to do.  He was out coached in his 2 shots to prove himself elite this year, and he has a long way to go to get back to the Big 12 Championship. The way we played against OSU and WVU shows we haven't learned how to put teams away, and the fact that we make brain dead mistakes to help keep teams in games shows poor coaching on a certain level.  

Players like our younger WRs and DBs look very poorly coached on fundamentals.  13 and 85 can't run routes and can't catch.  Our DBs can't cover anyone, and I'm not sure anyone on our defense is a reliable tackler.

Players ran their mouth all week and then got their ass kicked.  It isn't the end of the world, but it was a sobering afternoon no doubt.  I hope Herman learned how to rebound from shitting the bed against OU from his mentor.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Here is the coach cam for the second half.  It’s hard to tell if he’s calling plays but looks like he might be.

I watched more of that than I’d like to admit and the most striking thing to me is Herman’s lack of interaction with any of his players. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

The offensive scheme is fine.  Beck is a good coach and good recruiter.  He should stay.  Tom should be able to continue calling the plays himself and leave Beck to coaching and recruiting.  Tons of other head coaches do it just fine.  To me the highest priorities are a competent ST guy and, unfortunately, a new DC.  That last one is a real sticker because I just don’t see it happening.  But the numbers on defense over two season are undeniable.  Injuries and youth are not acceptable excuses. 

jenniferlawrenceOK.jpeg

If we had been marginally functional on offense and not retarded on ST we win going away.  

Edited by Bullneck

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Did we really call in Greg Davis as a consultant this past week? The same Greg Davis who was shut out by OU with Vince young at QB?

From OB earlier in the week:

Texas football coach Tom Herman is leaning on the expertise of another former college football coach this season.

According to my sources, former Rutgers football coach Chris Ash has been in Austin since Monday to help Herman and Texas prepare for Oklahoma on Saturday. Herman and Ash were on the same staff at Ohio State in 2014. Ash was the co-defensive coordinator that season, while Herman was Ohio State’s offensive coordinator. Herman became Houston’s head coach in 2015, and Ash was named Rutgers’ head coach beginning in the 2016 season. Ash was let go in September after his team’s 1-3 start

In addition, former Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis was active this week as an adviser, according to my sources.

Given our gameplan, this is totally believable.  

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

holy shit.  I thought that was a joke.  Herman is in bigger trouble than I thought.  I can hear it now. 

"ya see Tom, ya need to spread em out wide and then gash em up the middle."

"ya can't go broke makin money, Tom!".

what a fucking disaster, we ran the same fucking game plan Davis used to run that would score zero to 14 points against any dirtburglar D with a pulse.  fuck me.  

3 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Imo the 90% is way too high. Maybe 50%. 

There were way too many times Sam should've thrown the ball away (and he had time) but he didn't. 

Sam has the starting job mostly because he was good behind a shit line.  Now, I suppose he got used to not having a shit line last year, for the most part.

But, he's hurt or something.  Been off most of the season.

24 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Well shit.  I know some of the surly offensive coordinators on here are never happy with our offense and yes there has been some head pounding stuff called the past couple of season.  But yesterday’s play calling totally went against the norm and was a flash back to Greg Davis days.  I mean we’d find something that worked and then immediately reverse back to the crap that didn’t which is vintage Greg Davis.  The only reason that fool got as much mileage here was the fact Vince and Colt improvised and made his shit actually smell better.  

10 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Sam wasnt that bad yesterday, considering the o line usually gave him 1.2 seconds to make a read. Offensive playcalling yesterday was the real culprit

Yeah, they should've been calling all those plays that succeed when the OL can only protect for 1.2 seconds. There must be dozens of those, right?

After today, 1-3 vs his only real competition. No amount of ministers, tweets or special guest coaches can overcome his arrogant bullshit. 
Today is a perfect example. Show up listless for the big game. Defense somehow hangs on while the offense shits the field. Get some offensive momentum and the defense lays down. 
Then the players consistently make horrible decisions. Because they get horrible coaching. Fair catching kickoffs/punts inside the 5 is a coaching issue.
Yes he's better than Old Mack and Cholly, but that just gets us 2nd place. Luckily because no other program has our resources and history. 
Neg me, ban me, dog cuss me..but the scoreboard is what it is. 
Fuck 0u.

Cholly? Are you fucking aggy?

After today, 1-3 vs his only real competition. No amount of ministers, tweets or special guest coaches can overcome his arrogant bullshit. 
Today is a perfect example. Show up listless for the big game. Defense somehow hangs on while the offense shits the field. Get some offensive momentum and the defense lays down. 
Then the players consistently make horrible decisions. Because they get horrible coaching. Fair catching kickoffs/punts inside the 5 is a coaching issue.
Yes he's better than Old Mack and Cholly, but that just gets us 2nd place. Luckily because no other program has our resources and history. 
Neg me, ban me, dog cuss me..but the scoreboard is what it is. 
Fuck 0u.

Cholly? Are you fucking aggy?