Tom Herman is a 2nd place coach

Brothahorn

1/4 sober and Jazz is somewhat right, I could have worded my frustrations better.

I never said anything about firing Tim, just that yesterday was a bullshit lost. And something to be concerned about. It’s not the losing. It’s the way we lost. He needs to make some serious changes.

As for the rematch..has this staff/team shown any signs of correcting their issues? Are they suddenly going to start tackling? come up with a complete offensive game plan? Change up an ineffective defensive scheme? Fix special teams? All of these are old issues. So when are they going to be fixed in time for the rematch?

So as long as Little Lincoln is on the other side, TH is a 2nd place coach. And some years he might be a 3rd place coach.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BigSwingingD said:

This is a good outsiders view. Thanks.

I think most of us are scratching our heads trying to understand what went wrong here. Herman is an offensive guy. Typically credited as being innovative.  Yesterday was anything but that...it was predictable. GDGD like.

Here are some things that I don't think have been discussed.

1. We brought in the Rutgers coach to help us gameplan. WTF? Why? 

2. During the WV post game presser Herman said he didn't know who the next opponent was and that he had to be reminded it was OU.  I thought "coach speak" at the time. Now I am actually convinced he didn't know...which tells me we haven't been prepping for OU.  Is this game not circled on the schedule?

I guarantee you OU worked on our game every week. They played like it.

3. During Thursdays presser Herman said they only practiced 90 minutes. Cut practice short. Why?  Did anyone else find this odd?

4. Our players talked a lot of shit. Why did Herman allow that?

5.  OU approached this game as a must win. We did not. Why? Last year we did.

Sorry out of rep.

Last year we played as if we had nothing to lose, this year we started out in turtle mode, something we save for when we have a comfortable lead.

Our offensive game plan looked like it was taken from a 1980s sec playbook.

I pray TH has a different attitude for this game next year in terms of scheme and approach.

17 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I mean I like Sam too, but generational talent? Let’s pump the brakes out there. He looked completely rattled yesterday and had one of his worst games in a while. Generational QBs don’t look like how he did yesterday. 

Yeah, not sure I would qualify Sam as “generational.”  Good to very good.  But not even all-conference.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, not sure I would qualify Sam as “generational.”  Good to very good.  But not even all-conference.

compared to what we've seen for 10 years he's Roger Staubach, Joe Montana and Tom Brady all wrapped up in one so we're a little desperate. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

criminally pathetic performance by the OL was the number one problem in this game just doesn't know football.

You can't hold sam accountable for all of the sacks while simultaneously acknowledging the OL non-performance.   My take is 90% of sam's fail yesterday was an OL scheme/execution which failed massively.

• Like 1

before yesterday's game sam was just on the outside of the heisman discussion needing only a "big game" performance to get in to the conversation.  not that he would have been full value to win it, but it's been 10 years since the bama game and colt's departure.   is 10 years a "generation" okay shoot me let's reset the lingo.

the timetable and urgency are driven by the fact that we have 1 more year left of the best qb we've had in 10 years.

okay, can everyone get their panties unwadded now?

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

You can't hold sam accountable for all of the sacks while simultaneously acknowledging the OL non-performance.   My take is 90% of sam's fail yesterday was an OL scheme/execution which failed massively.

when he drops back to pass what receiver does he really have faith in? DuVernay and OU was not going to let him beat them.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Herman himself was an excellent OC. As a HC, he is also very good, but may not be great . . . time will tell. 

The biggest thing holding him back is he seems to place loyalty to his coaching buddies ahead of finding the best absolute coaches for his players, feelings/friendships be damned.  Maybe he thinks the latter is not critical to building a championship program, or it's something he's not willing to do at a personal level.  Whatever the reason, that's not the choice that's been made by guys like Saban and Meyer, and even L. Riley. They have no compunction about firing under-performers for the good of the program.  

Been saying this for 2 years

/thread

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

And sam is, and will finish as one of the top 5 qbs in school history... maybe top 3

You could say hes once in a generation qb and i wouldny argue much

You might be right. Didn't his numbers at Westlake far exceed those of Brees and Foles? Maybe he's just not getting good coaching. And he sure as hell doesn't have good offensive scheming. And the playcalling he's been given leave him vulnerable to blitzes. He's getting killed back there. 

In the most important game of the season - in a pivotal game for Sam's Heisman aspirations, Herman didn't give Sam and the team one new wrinkle to work with. Herman and his staff are the problems. For a few years I thought Garrett would be okay, as long as he had good coordinators and all he did was call time outs and clap his hands, but a good head coach has to be more - he has to mentor his coordinator when key strategy problems arise. Herman ain't there yet. Maybe he will be some day, but so far he's made too many Charlie Strong mistakes, starting with keeping a shit OC.

• Like 2

Sam is a stud. He’s not generational but he is top shelf. I think we have some guys in the hopper that can be equally good. Shit sams backup and supposed heir is destroying dudes with his legs. So we will finally be ok there.  Our running game had been snake but minus foreman since even the colt years with tre fucking Newton 

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

And sam is, and will finish as one of the top 5 qbs in school history... maybe top 3

You could say hes once in a generation qb and i wouldny argue much

You might be right. Didn't his numbers at Westlake far exceed those of Brees and Foles? Maybe he's just not getting good coaching. And he sure as hell doesn't have good offensive scheming. And the play calling he's been given leave him vulnerable to blitzes. He's getting killed back there. 

In the most important game of the season - in a pivotal game for Sam's Heisman aspirations, Herman didn't give Sam and the team one new wrinkle to work with. Herman and his staff are the problems. For a few years I thought Garrett would be okay, as long as he had good coordinators and all he did was call time outs and clap his hands, but a good head coach has to be more - he has to mentor his coordinators when key strategy problems arise. Herman ain't there yet. Maybe he will be some day, but so far he's made too many Charlie Strong mistakes, starting with keeping a shit OC.

OU had problem at DC, and they went and got a new one. That's what you have to do.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Herman himself was an excellent OC. As a HC, he is also very good, but may not be great . . . time will tell. 

The biggest thing holding him back is he seems to place loyalty to his coaching buddies ahead of finding the best absolute coaches for his players, feelings/friendships be damned.  Maybe he thinks the latter is not critical to building a championship program, or it's something he's not willing to do at a personal level.  Whatever the reason, that's not the choice that's been made by guys like Saban and Meyer, and even L. Riley. They have no compunction about firing under-performers for the good of the program.  

Casey Horny, amirite?

I think more of the blame should be on Hand. ou DL did exactly what LSU did when they had success and what wvu cont'd to do the previous week by stunting and looping it's DT's and Ends.  Shack poorly missed a few blocks and it's obvious that the interior (shack) is the weakest link along the line.  They need to improve because the rest of the schedule will attempt to do the same type of stunts.

This was a bad loss, no mistake, but it's not the end of the world.  I still expect this team to be playing at Jerry World in December and WINNING that bitch.

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It’s the staff. The team takes after the staff and this staff is a win by 1 and get out of there mentality.  Teams play against Texas with a hatred anger and they want to destroy and embarrass. And many have career days against us for that.  We turtle up with the lead at half time. Lead the nation in missed tackles and enjoy having momentum for 5 seconds 

Uh, every BIG XII team plays OU with just as much intensity, fervor and hate if not more. They've won 4 straight conference championships, I'm sure those other teams want to embarrass and knock OU out way more than Texas. 

OU just knows how to dad dick them. 

3 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Uh, every BIG XII team plays OU with just as much intensity, fervor and hate if not more. They've won 4 straight conference championships, I'm sure those other teams want to embarrass and knock OU out way more than Texas. 

OU just knows how to dad dick them. 

they've given up believing they can beat OU.  they believe they can beat us because we are soft.

• Like 1

2nd place?  At this moment i wish we were ranked that high. 
I take your point but i disagree.  Herman has what it takes to win it all.  Mf'er just needs to cut some fat.  Starting with Beck and Washington.  

We’ll be posting the same thing in 2020, 2021, 202x.
That’s kinda the problem, right? Stuff takes FOREVER to change.

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At this point I would just settle for a team that looked like it had a clue about how to tackle and didn’t suck shit through a straw on special teams

that actually might have gotten us a win even as poorly as we played in the 1st half on O.

The offensive scheme is fine.  Beck is a good coach and good recruiter.  He should stay.  Tom should be able to continue calling the plays himself and leave Beck to coaching and recruiting.  Tons of other head coaches do it just fine.  To me the highest priorities are a competent ST guy and, unfortunately, a new DC.  That last one is a real sticker because I just don’t see it happening.  But the numbers on defense over two season are undeniable.  Injuries and youth are not acceptable excuses. 

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The offensive scheme is fine.  Beck is a good coach and good recruiter.  He should stay.  Tom should be able to continue calling the plays himself and leave Beck to coaching and recruiting.  Tons of other head coaches do it just fine.  To me the highest priorities are a competent ST guy and, unfortunately, a new DC.  That last one is a real sticker because I just don’t see it happening.  But the numbers on defense over two season are undeniable.  Injuries and youth are not acceptable excuses. 

No one has an issue with Beck being here, just not as an OC. From day 1, that was a bad OC hire but a great addition as a staff member. The problem is that we should have at least 5 guys who can coach and recruit like Beck but we do not. It's clear Scipio's Orlando theory has a lot of truth to it.