6figs/"Trust the Hamm" greatest hits

41 minutes ago, Fud said:

I was under the impression that Kendall Milton is who Bama likely lands at RB, and that Georgia is the team to worry about irt Evans 

That's because you're probably informed. Hamm literally looked at that list and picked the team losing Evans too would sting the least SPECIFICALLY out of the 3 teams the OP mentioned. Hamm isn't much on extrapolation.

22 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

Have no idea why the Hammster, best in the biz, hasn’t blocked me yet. emoji23.png

13d7deb208bdd7f90ec4ad32dfd88932.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect it's because your account is private. So unless he follows you, he can't see it. But, as long as you get some giggles out of it, go for it

• Like 1

Analyzing the latest Rivals 250 rankings...

Taylor Hamm

Hamm

Rivals.com recently released their updated 250 rankings, which had an impact on the Aggies’ overall Composite Rankings, but we also saw some big moves for many of Texas A&M’s current commitments.

Before we dive into the individual changes, first I just to share my thoughts on the rankings with respect to the players I’ve personally seen play in-person.

It’s always interesting to see how the different services grade players, which often reflect an inherent bias into their rankings. Having worked for national services for the majority of my career and knowing many people in charge of rankings at different companies there’s almost always bias involved (either overtly or inherently) for a number of different reasons.

For example, if a certain company is the direct sponsor of a selection committee and a player flips from one All-American all-star game to different All-American game, it’s almost guaranteed you’ll see the player downgraded in the next set of updated rankings. Obviously, 247Sports wants their top-ranked players to play front-and-center at the Adidas Game, while other services do the same with their player rankings with respect to their sponsored all-star bowls.

Want proof? Ask Grant Gunnell what happened to his ESPN ranking when he flipped from Under Armour to Adidas...

There are so many anecdotes with these biases that I could rattle off from relationships with college staffs members, the organizations involved with training players,, etc...

Aggies have seen the bias reflective in the Rivals rankings for years, primarily because of how big Orangebloods is and the revenue overhyping Longhorn commitments generate for the site (and its parent - Yahoo!).

I mean, how does Garrett Wilson drop five spots? If he was committed to Texas I guarantee you he would be a five-star like he is on 247Sports. And no disrespect to Theo Wease, who is a tremendous player, but he’s not better than Wilson, Dylan Wright or Trejan Bridges. Here’s where the bias comes in - Wease had his day at the Rivals 5-star Challenge and subsequently rose in their rankings. Still, even though he had a strong performance (in shorts mind you) a true evaluation would never have him ahead of others in the state of Texas or nationally.

You also get the “balancing act” with these updated rankings. If you bump up an Aggie commit, you have to drop one. Rivals didn’t do much of that in their latest update, and I understand that if one guy move up, another has to move down, but six of the ten A&M commits in the Rivals250 actually dropped spots. Also, DeMarvin Leal outside the top 100 is pure blasphemy.

Just from a pure football evaluation standpoint, and this nothing personal, but how is Jalen Curry ahead of the likes of DeMarvin Leal, Kam Brown, Isaiah Spiller, Marcel Brooks, Tyler Johnson, Demani Richardson, Marcus Stripling, Marquez Beason, or Marcus Banks, who I feel should be higher rated?

Again, imagine where Brian Williams, DeMarvin Leal or Demani Richardson would be ranked if they were committed to Texas? Look - the updated rankings benefited A&M a lot, much more than we’ve seen in past years, but there’s still a lot of discrepancies with the in-state rankings.

Rivals did give Dylan Wright (up 109 spots), Baylor Cupp (moved into the top 250) and Erick Young (given his 5th star) their proper dues, but not to have Jeffrey Carter or Christian Harris in the top 250 is simply ridiculous. Is EJ Ndoma-Ogar really better than these two?

I’ll say this, I know for a FACT that LSU had Jeff Carter No. 2 on their corner big board behind Stingley. I know that Rivals primarily leans on one person for their in-state rankings, and while I consider that person a friend, I’m not sure I always trust his eye for talent. I do trust Corey Raymond’s eye, however.

The fun thing about these rankings is that time always gives us an opportunity to go back and see who was right and who was wrong. I think Rivals did a nice job with their recent updates but as I pointed out there’s still plenty room for improvement

24 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Every time they try and use  Brian Williams to confirm a bias they fail. Williams is overf'nrated. Adimora, Catalon, Richardson and Young are better Safety prospects IMO. Hell, give me 3 years of Yancy/Naivar and I'd take Owens over him. 

giphy.gif

44 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Want proof? Ask Grant Gunnell what happened to his ESPN ranking when he flipped from Under Armour to Adidas...

Gunnell, who has fallen in all three recruiting sites' rankings and who finished bottom two at the Elite 11

Is Hamm really floating the conspiracy theory everyone is out to get Aggy argument when Aggy is ranked #3?

jesus 

Maybe he’s just preparing them for the fall to #8 when other classes fill out. Then he can say “told you, everyone is out to get us”

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is Hamm really floating the conspiracy theory everyone is out to get Aggy argument when Aggy is ranked #3?

jesus 

Maybe he’s just preparing them for the fall to #8 when other classes fill out. Then he can say “told you, everyone is out to get us”

Bingo!

Hamm

The Clemson game is going to have an insane amount of visitors

So far we know that Kris Bogle, who I first reported, will be officially visiting for the Clemson game but there will be more guys in town on OVs than we currently have out there.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see A&M bring David Ugwoegbu in for an official that weekend. He already told The Other 98 that he will be unofficially visiting for the Clemson game but the staff is eager to get him committed so there’s a chance his name could be added to the OV list.

There might be one or two more but the OV list may end up being small compared to other big visit weekends due to the fact there’s only a few spots left. Nakobe Dean was going to take his official that weekend but Horn Lake plays on that Saturday.

Where the bulk of unofficial visitors will come from are the class of 2020 and 2021. Even though Demond Demas left the Aggies out of his top five, the staff is still working on that one, and at the end of the day, kids love to attend games like the one on September 8th. Speaking of North Forest products, A&M is still in communication with Javonne Shepherd but they aren’t pushing right now. It wouldn’t surprise me to see both in Aggieland that night. Of course, players like Malik Hornsby, Zach Evans, Troy Omiere, James Sylvester, Vernon Broughton, Branard Wright, Dwight McGlothern, Jaylon Jones, among others, are going to be made priorities to get to campus. You’ll also see quite a bit of out-of-state flavor.

We’ll also see names from the class 2021, and perhaps 2022, that don’t have an offer from A&M but will become targets down the road. A&M is getting ahead of their early evals so bringing in kids before the recruiting process heats up for them is a good way to connect potential targets with the school and atmosphere

1 hour ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Hamm

The Clemson game is going to have an insane amount of visitors

So far we know that Kris Bogle, who I first reported, will be officially visiting for the Clemson game but there will be more guys in town on OVs than we currently have out there.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see A&M bring David Ugwoegbu in for an official that weekend. He already told The Other 98 that he will be unofficially visiting for the Clemson game but the staff is eager to get him committed so there’s a chance his name could be added to the OV list.

There might be one or two more but the OV list may end up being small compared to other big visit weekends due to the fact there’s only a few spots left. Nakobe Dean was going to take his official that weekend but Horn Lake plays on that Saturday.

Where the bulk of unofficial visitors will come from are the class of 2020 and 2021. Even though Demond Demas left the Aggies out of his top five, the staff is still working on that one, and at the end of the day, kids love to attend games like the one on September 8th. Speaking of North Forest products, A&M is still in communication with Javonne Shepherd but they aren’t pushing right now. It wouldn’t surprise me to see both in Aggieland that night. Of course, players like Malik Hornsby, Zach Evans, Troy Omiere, James Sylvester, Vernon Broughton, Branard Wright, Dwight McGlothern, Jaylon Jones, among others, are going to be made priorities to get to campus. You’ll also see quite a bit of out-of-state flavor.

We’ll also see names from the class 2021, and perhaps 2022, that don’t have an offer from A&M but will become targets down the road. A&M is getting ahead of their early evals so bringing in kids before the recruiting process heats up for them is a good way to connect potential targets with the school and atmosphere

Good.  All those kids can see aggy get stomped then come to Austin the next week and watch Texas kick USC's ass.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Making your son transfer schools his senior year in High School because your ego couldn’t handle making 6 million a year but not having separate football offices built for you screams great father 

Moving your children to College Station at all is begging to be charged with child abuse. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Making your son transfer schools his senior year in High School because your ego couldn’t handle making 6 million a year but not having separate football offices built for you screams great father 

junior