Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He is VERY much a run first guy. 

Lol.You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Packers were 32nd in run rate in 2018, 25th in 17, and 31st in 2016.  Packers were bottom half of the league in run percentage 10 out of McCarthy’s 13 years in GB, including finishing in the bottom 6 of the league 5 times.

He’ll give lip service to the run game in press conferences, including when he mixes up correlation for causation and says it’s important the team runs the ball more than 20 times per game because their win percentage is good when that happens, but He’s not run first at all. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

21 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

But all those guys are difference makers. All those guys elevate their team. Dak doesn’t. And I’m not saying that like I’m out here hating on Dak. But he doesn’t elevate his team. He’s a lot more comparable to Kirk cousins than he is any of those guys. 

My wanting to draft Lamar Jackson that everyone scoffed at when the cowboys had the chance is looking a lot better right about now. 

They're stuck with Dak and have to pay him. 

6 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

My wanting to draft Lamar Jackson that everyone scoffed at when the cowboys had the chance is looking a lot better right about now. 

Lamar Jackson would have been a train wreck under Jason Garrett.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DougO said:

Nolan has been a linebacker coach in a 4-3 the last few years. As a DC he's a 3-4 guy all the way.

I went back and looked over his career. He's coordinated and worked both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. In his 3.5 years as HC of the Niners, they ran a 3-4. So take that FWIW.

36 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Dak isn't going to bite us in the ass as much as how horrible we've drafted the past few years.  We keep thinking that the tide turned because we stacked a few great drafts in a row, but that was a long time ago in football years and recently Cowboys drafts look like shit again.

But that’s the thing. Drafting is a fucking crapshoot. Even the best teams miss on entire draft classes all the time. But when you pay a qb as if they’re a franchise qb, you have to have them kind of pick up the pieces when you inevitably miss. Dak isn’t the guy that can do that IMO. He’s the guy that, like a Kirk cousins, can potentially put you over the top if you have a ready made championship roster and you’re a qb away, but he isn’t going to elevate any team. 

and @Dr. Beeper If anything he’s in the same tier as Kirk cousins. Cousins has way better weapons. When cousins was in Washington, Dak was a lot better. But that’s the thing, would anyone here feel comfortable paying Kirk cousins what Dak is about to get. Fuck no. We gave Dak a pass because he’s a winner (or I did, at least)...until he’s not. That isn’t something you can rely on year to year. I can reply on talent, accuracy, etc. Assuming there are 6-8 franchise qbs in the league (and even that’s pushing it) Dak isn’t one of them. I’m not paying a guy that kind of money if I don’t think he’s a franchise elevating qb.

59 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah and Dak's contract in a few years will be comparable to where a QB of his caliber is slotted.  He's not going to be the highest paid QB for the next decade. 

You think Dak will be a Top 5-10 quarterback in the next few years?

29 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Top 5 no, top 10 possibly.  You are talking about Brady/Brees for sure being gone that moves everyone up 2 slots, and then you have Rodgers/Roethlisberger as the only elite old guys in the league.  I don't know how long they plan on playing for.  Of the younger guys you have Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, and Watson as players barring injury that Dak for sure will likely be behind.  Then below that you have a lot of guys who kind of suck and are also kind of good that Dak is in the mix with.  There will always be the next generation that are complete unknown variables though.

I'm spitballing here so I probably left off a name or two.  I'd franchise Dak giving the regime change and kick the can if it were up to me.  

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That would never happen, but I’d be fine with doing literally anything other than giving Dak $35+ mil a year and making him one of the highest paid qbs in the history of the NFL. He improved last year in the sense that he took more chances, but I don’t see how you can expect someone to improve as much as we would like him to if he isn’t accurate, isn’t a dynamic runner, and seems like he doesn’t even like running. I think he kind of is what he is at this point, which is fine, but lol not worth $35+ mil 

Seems to me the more pressure we can put on Dak to be a little reasonable in his salary demands, the better. It might help our argument a little if we weren't bringing back Kellen Moore - we'd be sending another sign that last season wasn't that fucking great. What is Moore's status right now? Has he had a sleepover with McCarthy yet?

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

56 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This is exactly where I’m at. I feel like really, you should be falling in the top 8ish qbs to earn a contract like that. If we were a qb away from having a super bowl caliber roster, then fuck it. Pay him. But I think that’s very much up in the air (contrary to what we hear through the media). And if our oline ages quickly and Zeke declines, we’re kinda fucked if Dak isn’t a sure fire “difference maker/elevate your team” type of QB.

20 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Top 5 no, top 10 possibly.  You are talking about Brady/Brees for sure being gone that moves everyone up 2 slots, and then you have Rodgers/Roethlisberger as the only elite old guys in the league.  I don't know how long they plan on playing for.  Of the younger guys you have Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, and Watson as players barring injury that Dak for sure will likely be behind.  Then below that you have a lot of guys who kind of suck and are also kind of good that Dak is in the mix with.  There will always be the next generation that are complete unknown variables though.

I'm spitballing here so I probably left off a name or two.  I'd franchise Dak giving the regime change and kick the can if it were up to me.  

I would try to franchise Dak as well. My point is if you're going to make the guy the highest-paid player in the NFL he'd better be a goddamn difference maker. I don't think Dak is at that point, or ever will be. I'm real curious to see how he does with McCarthy, though,

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Lamar Jackson under Garrett? Lmao. Riiiight. That would have went over very well. You realize the Ravens actually sat down and created an offense personalized for Lamar in the offseason. To play to his strengths. Dak after year 4 was playing the same offense Romo did in 2007. No adjustments at all. How can people not grasp this concept? Go look at Goff with Fisher vs McVey. 

But this fanbase seems to keep focusing solely on Dak while ignoring how putrid special teams and offense is. I am fairly certain Lamar Jackson does not have to drive 80+ plus every single drive because his defense sucks.

Also, Dak did what Lamar is doing right now in his rookie year. 

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lamar Jackson under Garrett? Lmao. Riiiight. That would have went over very well. You realize the Ravens actually sat down and created an offense personalized for Lamar in the offseason. To play to his strengths. Dak after year 4 was playing the same offense Romo did in 2007. No adjustments at all. How can people not grasp this concept? Go look at Goff with Fisher vs McVey. 

But this fanbase seems to keep focusing solely on Dak while ignoring how putrid special teams and offense is. I am fairly certain Lamar Jackson does not have to drive 80+ plus every single drive because his defense sucks.

Also, Dak did what Lamar is doing right now in his rookie year. 

If it didn't work with Garrett then Garrett would be gone anyway like now and we'd have McCarthy with Lamar Jackson to work with and 3 more years of a rookie deal. 

Dak has never done anything near what Jackson has done this year. Nothing close. 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

This. I think he has top 5 potential, but he's at least top 10 now or in the near future. It's exceedingly difficult to get that in the draft or free agency. Since Troy, the Dallas Cowboys QB is the most hated player on the field by certain parts of the fanbase, but Dak is fine and can be elite. I just hope McCarthy is willing to evolve where ginger wasn't.

brady jackson brees mahomes rodgers cousins goff garappolo wilson stafford wentz watson roethlisberger bridgewater.

dominated head-to-head by trubisky.  outplayed this season by tannehill.  will be surpassed next year by allen and jones.  

so... top 10?  no, not really.

He doesn't need to be top 10.  Nobody is putting Garapolo in their top 10 and his team is the current favorite to go the SB in the NFC.  This team just needs better coaching.  I have no idea if MM will be the answer, but we are immediately better at the one spot we really needed to be. 

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

I went back and looked over his career. He's coordinated and worked both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. In his 3.5 years as HC of the Niners, they ran a 3-4. So take that FWIW.

I went back and looked more thoroughly, team by team. The only time in the current millennium Nolan as DC coached 4-3 defense was in Atlanta under Mike Smith, former 4-3 DC himself, and coached Smith's scheme that he inherited. The results got them both fired. Every other stop from 2000 on he coached his 3-4.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

why wouldn't you just franchise dak then?  

Because I feel like it’s delaying the inevitable either way and I’d much rather franchise Cooper (and see where the fuck his head is at). Dak is who he is. Either pay him, or find a stop gap qb and draft another one. And if he isn’t willing to accept Wentz money or less, I say you find that bridge qb, let him lose all his sponsors as qb for the fucking chargers or panthers (or where ever) and get aggressive in drafting the next guy. I just can’t pay that dude like he’s a fucking difference maker.

I like Dak, and I think he’s fine, but I’m not about to let him strong arm this organization into setting the market if I’m the jones family. He needs to figure out what’s important in his life. Being qb of the Dallas Cowboys (and earning extra money with sponsors as the difference), or being one of the highest paid qbs in the league. If him and his agent take an honest look in the mirror, they have to realize their best chance at earning a second big contract is taking a little less money so we can spread that money around. Or maybe his agent knows what he is, and knows this is the only opportunity he’ll ever have to cash in big. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

brady jackson brees mahomes rodgers cousins goff garappolo wilson stafford wentz watson roethlisberger bridgewater.

dominated head-to-head by trubisky.  outplayed this season by tannehill.  will be surpassed next year by allen and jones.  

so... top 10?  no, not really.

Yeah Trubiski is better because of that h2h. Guess you got to move Dak ahead of Goff then

I just want Jerry out of the way, sounds like he gave MM the Parcells deal. Maybe Jerry can see, even in his own backyard,  that owners who let players play and coaches coach, get lots of respect. Mark Cuban got a standing O the other night for 20 years. Kraft, despite paying for it, can get all that and more in Bean Town. 

Theres lots of promise with this new staff and the players, just keep Jerry out the way 

So I’m not going to do the research on this, but another interesting/good thing about McCarthy from a game day perspective is the fact that he has one of the best challenge success rates in NFL history. Over the last 10 years (so since Garrett started) he’s won more challenges than Garrett has even attempted. 

Now I could’ve just pulled all of that out of my ass, but that’s what I heard on an nfl podcast that I listen to. Or something along those lines.

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Because I feel like it’s delaying the inevitable either way and I’d much rather franchise Cooper (and see where the fuck his head is at). Dak is who he is. Either pay him, or find a stop gap qb and draft another one. And if he isn’t willing to accept Wentz money or less, I say you find that bridge qb, let him lose all his sponsors as qb for the fucking chargers or panthers (or where ever) and get aggressive in drafting the next guy. I just can’t pay that dude like he’s a fucking difference maker.

I like Dak, and I think he’s fine, but I’m not about to let him strong arm this organization into setting the market if I’m the jones family. He needs to figure out what’s important in his life. Being qb of the Dallas Cowboys (and earning extra money with sponsors as the difference), or being one of the highest paid qbs in the league. If him and his agent take an honest look in the mirror, they have to realize their best chance at earning a second big contract is taking a little less money so we can spread that money around. Or maybe his agent knows what he is, and knows this is the only opportunity he’ll ever have to cash in big. 

oh the scenario i was responding to (i think trey suggested it?) had us signing amari to a deal and letting dak go.  to which i asked why he wouldn't want to franchise dak if we did sign amari.  

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Glad they are slowly getting rid of the previous regime. There will be a few leftovers as usual with any team with a new coach but the more gone the better. These players need new voices.

was gallup really a 1a this year?  are 1a receivers supposed to disappear for stretches as much as gallup did?

42 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So I’m not going to do the research on this, but another interesting/good thing about McCarthy from a game day perspective is the fact that he has one of the best challenge success rates in NFL history. Over the last 10 years (so since Garrett started) he’s won more challenges than Garrett has even attempted. 

Now I could’ve just pulled all of that out of my ass, but that’s what I heard on an nfl podcast that I listen to. Or something along those lines.

Well yea...he had Jordy

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/13139-mike-mccarthy-is-a-fat-fucking-retard/

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

jane slater is terrible.  one of the absolute worst.  it’s unfortunate that she’s a horn. 

I keep hearing people say this. Why? What exactly does she do that’s any worse than...Ed werder for example. Because i think werder is a fucking clown who thinks he’s a lot more important than he really is. I’ve heard slater on a podcast and she at least seems relatively down to earth. Not full of herself 

32 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

oh the scenario i was responding to (i think trey suggested it?) had us signing amari to a deal and letting dak go.  to which i asked why he wouldn't want to franchise dak if we did sign amari.  

was gallup really a 1a this year?  are 1a receivers supposed to disappear for stretches as much as gallup did?

Gallup was definitely not a 1A. He was a 2. And he flourished because Cooper gets attention every game. No way Gallup could be our main target and this offense be efficient. He might just be another terrence Williams or Patrick Crayton, guys who benefited from playing alongside players like TO and Dez who allowed them to get single coverage all game.

What will really open up this offense even more is developing Jarwin and using his ability of stretching the field. Adds another element teams have to worry about. It will back them off a little. Fuck all this "Well he can't block that well". Who cares. He's here to catch passes and create offense, not block. He can learn blocking enough to be competent. This offense needs a makeover. Hopefully Mike gives us that.

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I keep hearing people say this. Why? What exactly does she do that’s any worse than...Ed werder for example. Because i think werder is a fucking clown who thinks he’s a lot more important than he really is. I’ve heard slater on a podcast and she at least seems relatively down to earth. Not full of herself 

ed werder is most definitely a clown.  and jane slater is also terrible.  at least she has a vagina. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

What will really open up this offense even more is developing Jarwin and using his ability of stretching the field. Adds another element teams have to worry about. It will back them off a little. Fuck all this "Well he can't block that well". Who cares. He's here to catch passes and create offense, not block. He can learn blocking enough to be competent.

you are correct about his receiving skills.  you are incorrect about what it takes to be “competent” as a blocker in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Cousins is clearly better. When he was in Washington, with Jamison fucking Crowder as his primary weapon, he was empty stats guy - like Dak this year. 

He has now proven more in the playoffs than Dak. Don’t give me this winner bullshit after an 8-8 season. 

They both have 1 playoff win.  How would either be more proven?

25 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Cousins is clearly better. When he was in Washington, with Jamison fucking Crowder as his primary weapon, he was empty stats guy - like Dak this year. 

He has now proven more in the playoffs than Dak. Don’t give me this winner bullshit after an 8-8 season. 

What about last year though, with cousins? They’re in the same tier. Arguing which one is better than the other is a dumb argument. They’re in the same tier. The Vikings threw the ball less than almost any team in the league because they wanted to take the ball out of cousins hands for a lot of the season. When you have a top 3 rb and two legit wrs (both of which you could argue are as good or better than cooper) it makes your life a lot easier. But that’s kind of the point I was making. Minnesota felt like they were a qb away so they went out and signed cousins. We are not that close IMO, contrary to how talented people think our roster is.

In case you haven't seen it someone posted the Sturm Athletic piece at the top of this page in the other McCarthy thread 

I'll hold off on Dak until I can see how McCarthy uses him. Hopefully Sturm's portrayal is the McCarthy that comes to Dallas and he bows up/challenges the arky fucks instead of becoming a subservient puppet just to keep his job. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

In case you haven't seen it someone posted the Sturm Athletic piece at the top of this page in the other McCarthy thread 

I'll hold off on Dak until I can see how McCarthy uses him. Hopefully Sturm's portrayal is the McCarthy that comes to Dallas and he bows up/challenges the arky fucks instead of becoming a subservient puppet just to keep his job. 

Thanks! Definitely going to give that a read this weekend.