Matt Rhule to the Panthers

texifornia

Just now, C-Man said:

How hard is it to call a team meeting and tell them how much the guys mean to him, etc? Just tell them it's always been a goal to get to the NFL -- after all, that's the goal of many kids who to go play big-time college football -- and the opportunity was just too good to pass up. Who can argue with that?

I deleted my comments - the players are all on break - so I don't know that he would have been able to call a team meeting to bring them all back.

2 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Has nothing to do with feelings and I couldn't be paid enough to give two shits about Baylor and/or its football program. 

Then why did you spend a pretty solid amount of time writing up all the legal reasons why it's cool Baylor's program basically got off scot free?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

that’s not a big increase over Baylor. They pay top of the market and have since Briles. They just don’t have to disclose their numbers.

I also don’t understand why more NFL teams don’t spend more on coaches. It’s the one place where they can improve the team without worrying about a salary cap. 

Don’t give Baylor fans a pass for supporting Briles. They knew what was happening. They just didn’t care because they were winning. Fuck all of them.

Because most NFL owners don't give a shit about winning. They get paid hundreds of millions every year no matter if they win or lose. They have a gentlemen's agreement across the owners that sets the head coach salaries. An owner will never go rogue and empty a money truck for a head coach. It will disrupt the market and what they have going on. There is no salary cap at all for coaches. If Jerry wanted to go get Saban or Belichik and offer them $15mill a year, no one is stopping him. But he would never do it. They are content with the setup they have going.

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

hahaha fuck baylor

Here is the thing, Baylor has a process that selects coaches that win football games. I know they selected a rape covering POS once before but they modified their process to select a coach with character this last time. So I expect them to probably select a winner again unless they just throw their process out the window. Bottom line we need to fix our issues and start winning to the point in which Baylor is not a threat no matter what they do.

• Like 2

If Rhule had been 11-3 at Texas, no big deal.  We would be wanting to fire cause he lost to OU twice.  But he was 11-3 at a perennial low level school so he was considered to have turned around the program.  I think Rhule is a good guy and wish him well, but baylor was just a few plays away from being 8-4 or 7-5.  Granted, they made the plays they needed to make but the tech game was a gift, gave up 3 TD's to ISU in the 4th quarter and had to drive for the winning FG.  TCU?  They got the bounce of the ball this year.  Kudos to them.  Upperclassmen team.  Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, and Ronnie Milsap could see that the B12 was not very good.  Texas wasn't.  OU wasn't.  Everything went baylors way.  And still lost to OU, and got beat by Georgia's B team.  Hopefully those cocksuckers will be back in their rightful place and maybe, just maybe, one day Texas can separate themselves from those assholes.  Fuck baylor.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Here is the thing, Baylor has a process that selects coaches that win football games. I know they selected a rape covering POS once before but they modified their process to select a coach with character this last time. So I expect them to probably select a winner again unless they just throw their process out the window. Bottom line we need to fix our issues and start winning to the point in which Baylor is not a threat no matter what they do.

Agree, but explain the process.  Seem more like luck to me.  Is there something they do that the others aren't allowed to do?  They have hired losers before.  

2 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

If Rhule had been 11-3 at Texas, no big deal.  We would be wanting to fire cause he lost to OU twice.  But he was 11-3 at a perennial low level school so he was considered to have turned around the program.  I think Rhule is a good guy and wish him well, but baylor was just a few plays away from being 8-4 or 7-5.  Granted, they made the plays they needed to make but the tech game was a gift, gave up 3 TD's to ISU in the 4th quarter and had to drive for the winning FG.  TCU?  They got the bounce of the ball this year.  Kudos to them.  Upperclassmen team.  Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, and Ronnie Milsap could see that the B12 was not very good.  Texas wasn't.  OU wasn't.  Everything went baylors way.  And still lost to OU, and got beat by Georgia's B team.  Hopefully those cocksuckers will be back in their rightful place and maybe, just maybe, one day Texas can separate themselves from those assholes.  Fuck baylor.

Quite a few Baylor fans on Reddit are downplaying what Rhule did, saying Art Briles did all the hard work and Rhule just rode on his coattails.

1 minute ago, tonedeaf said:

Agree, but explain the process.  Seem more like luck to me.  Is there something they do that the others aren't allowed to do?  They have hired losers before.  

They are about 3 for 30 all time coaching hires. They just happen to be on a two hire win streak with Teaff being the other historically good coach for their program. I wouldn't exactly call them a beacon of light on the hiring front.  

Briles changed the perception of the value of football at Baylor, for better or worse. Previously it was just something to do on a few Saturdays in the fall. Occasionally they'd field a competitive team with the 2nd tier players but that was rare and unexpected. RGIII winning a Heisman added a couple hundred million to the Babtits coffers both directly and indirectly. The stadium and facility upgrades will allow the school to recruit at a higher level for years to come. Coach Rhule came into a situation that was ripe and he made it work. It's not a given, of course, that the next guy will be as good at making the chicken salad but he'll be in a much better position to do so than he would have been just a decade ago.

44 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

And had they been found guilty of "lack of institutional control" 5 years prior to that?

The "death penalty" isn't even the formal name of the rule. It's the "repeat violator rule," and that's exactly what it means: get caught committing the same serious violation twice within 5 years, and the program is terminated. First time offenders within the 5-year window would never even be considered for the DP, no matter how heinous the violation is.

Actually, just two major violations -- doesn't have to be the same.  

30 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Matt Rhule is going to buy an array of the fanciest smocks ever made.  Diamond-studded smocks.  He now has the capability of expanding to bedazzled ponchos or the finest muumuus available.  His versatility in fancy things draped over his torso will be unrivaled.  It's a new era. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rhule won at Temple.  The freaking Temple Owls.  That is way more difficult than winning at Baylor, which wasn't easy considering the disaster he inherited.  Baylor may have been smoke & mirrors, but Rhule was the guy creating the smoke and moving around the mirrors.  Multiple NFL teams weren't chasing him for no reason.

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Where was this process when they hired Kevin Steele and Guy Morriss?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Where was this process when they hired Kevin Steele and Guy Morriss?

I remember my uncle telling me he was excited about Dave Roberts being the Baylor head coach because he was going to remove the names from the back of the jerseys like Notre Dame in a display of team over the individual.  I was young, but I managed to stifle laughing in his face.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Don't quote me on this, but doesn't the team lose something like a dozen+ starters next year?  8-9 on defense?  He sure timed this perfectly.  

It’s why Dana left West Virginia and why Urban had a fake heart attack at Florida. These guys are not stupid and can see what they have. They sold at the top. 

Baylor is 6-6 next year if things go well. 

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's my bigger question.

If it was, you'd have asked it instead of attributing things to me that I never said nor believed.

There is no NCAA rule that says if a football program is found to have been a serial killer ring where the full coaching staff and all players habitually kidnapped and murdered young children over the course of a year

If this insane scenario took place, the NCAA would be the least of such an institution’s concerns, and you know that. If that happened, the state government would swoop in, there’d be massive prosecutions and convictions and the university itself would very likely be forcibly shut down. Their football program would definitely shut down, and the NCAA wouldn't have needed to lift a finger to do so as it'd basically be a self-imposed one. 

But we're talking about the NCAA, and you’re talking about serial killers? The NCAA had two test cases to look at for Baylor and they were led to what they did about it based on those two: Penn State and SMU. At Penn State, it was literally a handful of bad actors. Aside from not being within the 5-year window, all of the bad actors were removed from their positions, and many of them faced prosecution. Tell me with a straight face now that you fear, because the NCAA didn’t impose the death penalty on them, Penn State is at risk of suffering another saga of a Sandusky-type and a cover up of same. If you don’t, why would you support a death penalty? Same with Baylor. They’ve rid themselves of the bad actors. Do you fear that because the NCAA didn't terminate their program that there's going to be another Waco rape-fest?

At SMU, the issue was not only repetitive, it was literally institutional. Even if by some miracle that all of the bad actors in that scenario were removed, SMU football couldn't exist anyways. Seriously, that whole episode involved pretty much all of the major boosters, the board of regents, the athletic director, the president, and even a former fucking governor of the State of Texas. SMU's athletic department wouldn't have been able to function if all of those guys were removed en masse. I doubt the NCAA even pondered that, but the fact was that the very people guilty of the worst violations were also the people who kept that department afloat. If they did ponder it, their decisions was basically "these fucking assholes aren't cooperating at all, the university isn't going to do a fucking thing about this shit, so we're going to do it for them."

Was such action needed at Baylor? Penn State? No. None of you seriously fear that mass rapes will revisit Waco, and none of you seriously fear that a pedophile will be employed by Penn State's athletic department while they know he is a pedophile. Had the NCAA not acted, you would definitely fear that SMU would have continue to operate its football program with a fucking payroll for its recruits, including paying certain players up to 6-7 figure annual salaries, and you've have been right to fear that.

And I say that as someone who opposes the death penalty in principle because I believe (based on precedent) that it punishes the innocent far more than the guilty. Seriously, the players who were paid at SMU went on to have normal lives completely unabated by the DP, as were the rich boosters who started all of it. Who suffered at SMU? Players who didn't take payments, the alumni who had nothing to do with it, and even players who weren't even fucking born yet and that was entirely predictable. I can't tell you how many coaches correctly predicted that SMU would be a "doormat for decades," as one of them put it, but it wasn't a brilliant prediction. It was obvious that it was going to take as long as it's taken for them to build themselves up to a position of respectability. Forrest Gregg's players never took money from Sherwood Blount, neither did any of Tom Rossley's, neither did Matt Cavan's, Phil Bennett's, June Jones', Chad Morris' or Sonny Dykes'. Those guys and their players were absolutely innocent of the type of wrongdoing that Ron Meyer and Sherwood Blount were known to commit with impunity, yet the former had to suffer for it instead of the latter.

All that being said, if you had told me in some abstract seminar "well if the NCAA could only use the death penalty on one football program...," I'd definitely agree that it should have been SMU without question. That's the central question the NCAA ponders when they discuss the DP: if we do not act, do we fear that this will continue. At Baylor and PSU, the answer to that question was no, and that's why they didn't go that far.

They should still have their program disbanded.

And not by the NCAA. That's my point. If you're asking yourself "what would the NCAA do" if that insane serial killer scenario panned out, you're thinking about the wrong shit.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Quite a few Baylor fans on Reddit are downplaying what Rhule did, saying Art Briles did all the hard work and Rhule just rode on his coattails.

Lmao what? He took over a barely D1 team after he mass exodus that went 1-11 his first season. It's not like he took over Baylor in a normal situation. Delusional. Baylor was left for dead by Briles. Rhule did it with 2 and 3 star guys unlike Briles.

• Like 1

Was it Iowa st?   In what game did you say “holy shit this guy is good?” Tcu?  Tech?  K state?   Don’t say us.  We suck. 

He took OU to overtime in the conference championship game. With his backup QB.

The talent differential between OU and Baylor is massive. He lost one of the best players on his less talented team and still almost beat them.

You're not seeing the forest through the trees. Three years ago no one wanted the Baylor job. The fans were stuck on Briles, the roster was depleted, and there was no reason to think the next coach would do anything other than fail spectacularly. It was a job no one wanted, and he not only took it, he completely turned the program around. This is also the second time he's done exactly that with a program no one else wanted.

The list of guys who have turned around two programs with zero built in advantages (and plenty of built in obstacles) is incredibly short. In a sport where evaluating coaching impact is difficult due to limited sample sizes and a large number of environmental variables for which you should account, his resume is about as good as you can get. Focusing on "what wins were impressive this season" is just failing to see the full picture here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The University said:

5d799dbf9c2b19370b3636bc

Damn!  I once was at a Baltimore Orioles game where a rowdy group from Boston bought a case at once from a beer vendor after already being pretty rowdy and drunk.  Good thing this particular group of chowderheads was hilariously funny--damn near comic writer-caliber.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

48 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

They are about 3 for 30 all time coaching hires. They just happen to be on a two hire win streak with Teaff being the other historically good coach for their program. I wouldn't exactly call them a beacon of light on the hiring front.  

Yeah, I agree with this versus the concept that Baylor has some sort of proprietary process for hiring the right guy. Hiring HCs is tough and few schools can do it in a way that creates long term continuity and breeds success. Ohio State is basically the only example, and I'll argue there pretty much had to be one that got lucky, versus saying they've got a process. Alabama had a walk in the wilderness. OU. Texas multiple times. Michigan. Tennessee. USC multiple times. Notre Dame. Nebraska for the last 15 years. Georgia. LSU. Certainly Baylor isn't immune. Hopefully they're due.

So murder means disband and rape means no penalty. You're being a buffoon about this. 

Why would the university be shut down by murder and not what was essentially a rape syndicate?  

Can you shut the fuck up with this guy, Huck? You'll never get through the barrier and you're in danger of causing another 4-5 walls of text being fired onto this otherwise fine thread.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

He took OU to overtime in the conference championship game. With his backup QB.

The talent differential between OU and Baylor is massive. He lost one of the best players on his less talented team and still almost beat them.

You're not seeing the forest through the trees. Three years ago no one wanted the Baylor job. The fans were stuck on Briles, the roster was depleted, and there was no reason to think the next coach would do anything other than fail spectacularly. It was a job no one wanted, and he not only took it, he completely turned the program around. This is also the second time he's done exactly that with a program no one else wanted.

The list of guys who have turned around two programs with zero built in advantages (and plenty of built in obstacles) is incredibly short. In a sport where evaluating coaching impact is difficult due to limited sample sizes and a large number of environmental variables for which you should account, his resume is about as good as you can get. Focusing on "what wins were impressive this season" is just failing to see the full picture here.

Exactly. This was not Baylor under Briles who had success with talented players across the board. Those teams were expected to win and they did. Most thought Baylor as a football program was dead after what happened. Like indefinitely. What Rhule did there with those players is a damn miracle. In just 3 years after Briles, he was an OT away from going to the fucking playoffs. LSU would have beaten them by 70 but still. To knock him for losing to OU and Georgia with the players he had is unfair. And they were kicking OU's ass in the first game but ran out of gas by the end.

I'm more impressed with what Rhule did at Baylor in his situation and players than what Lincoln did at OU working with 3 straight Heisman level QBs and a stacked roster.

• Like 4

So right now, is the Carolina job a better job than the "NY Football Giants"?
Surprised Rhule didn't meet with NY...
Far less pressure to win big every year..and Carolina is a much cheaper, more laid back place to live and raise a family. Thats all i got on that, and find it a bit bizzare myself tbh..

The current Baylor AD, Mack Rhoades, had some previous relationship with Rhule though I don't recall what that was. I just know they were familiar with one another beforehand. Anyway, Rhoades kind of showed up with a bullet already chambered there. What he does next will be interesting to say the least. Mulkey is getting a bit long in the tooth and will probably be going off into the sunset within the next few years so things could change drastically there as well and revert more to the historical Baylor norms. Baseball coach is showing some promise and honestly nobody gives a shit unless everything else sucks. Scott Drew isn't going anywhere. Volleyball? Woooo-hoooo!!! Sky's the limit!

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So murder means disband and rape means no penalty.

Rape meant no penalty from the NCAA. It's as if you only read like 3-4 sentences and only interpreted from it what you wanted it to say.

You're being a buffoon about this. 

And your reading comprehension is utter shit today. And I say "today" out of respect because you're usually a lot better than this.

Why would the university be shut down by murder and not what was essentially a rape syndicate?  

Who all was involved in the rape syndicate? With the insane murderer scenario, you were attributing guilt to all players, all coaches. You're talking about well over 100 people committing the murders alone, and for an entire year, you said. But the participation in such a hypothetical wouldn't be restricted to that, and you know that. You know full well that it would come with it firsthand knowledge by the athletic director, and very likely higher administrative sorts, and a whole host of others (even a mound of students, actually). And if it really was that pervasive, that wouldn't be just turning a blind eye. That would be fucking endorsement. Baylor's alleged to have 52 rapes by 31 players. I already told you what I thought of it, but I'll say it again: that is disgusting, and something should be done about it, but this isn't a matter of just doing shit that makes you feel good and/or throwing shit at the wall.

Regardless, the arguments that you've put forth up until this point are just absolutely awful and you really should re-think them. You couldn't even be bothered to answer the most relevant questions I posed to you, which tells me you have something to hide and/or you're aware you're being disingenuous. I'll re-state:

1. Because the NCAA did not act with the DP on Baylor, do you fear that massive amounts of rapes will continue/resume at Waco?
2. Because the NCAA did not act with the DP on Penn State, do you fear they will knowingly employ a pedophile on its coaching staff?

If you aren't, then what the fuck are you even doing here?

You seem to be suffering under the delusion that universities are monolithic entities that act. They're not. They consist of individuals, and in each scandal, you have to decide what to do to administer actual justice on a case-by-case basis and not just taking brainless, lazy actions that are meant entirely to satisfy your own selfish blood lust and essentially nothing else.

Seriously, who among the bad actors at SMU were punished? I really would like to know the answer to that question. Sherwood Blount? Doing just fine. Ron Meyer? I'm pretty sure that he had some regrets, but paying 18 year olds to play football for him wouldn't be anywhere near the top, if it even registers at all. Eric Dickerson? No. That motherfucker was paid over a million dollars per year at SMU, had an exceptional career in the NFL and is doing just fine now. Ask if he would reconsider taking payments from SMU if he knew the NCAA would banish them from competition a few years after he got drafted and tell me you're surprised that he laughed at you. Craig James? Again, the same thing. Even the guys like Stopperich and Stanley, who cooperated with the NCAA, would very likely have told you they would still have taken the money even if they knew they'd snitch years later. But they weren't punished, either. Nobody who was guilty in that sad tale suffered any sort of consequence short term or long, at least not due to the Death Penalty from the NCAA. Hell, the Indianapolis Colts employed Ron Meyer for 5 seasons even AFTER they learned all the lurid details of the death penalty, and they hired him well after knowing that he had committed multiple infractions while he was there.

The whole point of the SMU example above is to say that there are feel-good actions and do-good actions. Do-good actions are those that both help the victims and punish the culprits. An NCAA-imposed death penalty against Penn State, Baylor, SMU, et al accomplishes neither. It just makes you feel good, and apparently that's all you think matters. If the answer to my previous two questions re: Penn State and Baylor are both "no," then by definition, you are satisfied with the actions that the universities and district attorneys offices took to alleviate those atrocities. Again, if you're turning to the NCAA to curb rape, you're turning to the wrong sources. You know better than that. And you don't need to take it from me; just ask the victims. If you asked any of those girls at Baylor or the then-young boys in Happy Valley if the NCAA terminating the football programs would suffice as justice to them, do you really think any of them would say "yes, that would satisfy me?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What does Baylor stand to lose by hiring Briles back?

They clearly don't care what anyone else thinks, and they haven't received any real consequences for their wrongdoings.  Their cult fans think the whole thing was a conspiracy in the first place.

Don't lump all Baylor fans in together.  I for one cancelled my season tickets and stopped financially supporting Baylor.  Glad we have a woman president, a new AD, and (had) a coach that did quite a bit to change the culture around football.  Baylor and scandal is nothing new, hell, in the 19th century there was even a gunfight in downtown Waco due Baylor and sexual shenanigans.  https://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/our_man_downtown/waco-special-shoot-a-journalist-get-a-plaque/article_11fce03e-15ca-525a-b227-9054ec7cdcb8.html

That said, most Baylor fans are completely insane.  When Briles was routinely pummeling teams that had historically dominated us, I was pretty vocal about the fact that this was an outlier, this wasn't our norm, and that we should be happy with an average of 7-5 or 8-4.  My exact words were "this is too good to be true, it won't last, the other shoe is about to drop."  I was told to shut the hell up, that we've finally reached our god-given place at the top of college football, and to quit pissing in everyone's cereal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Don't lump all Baylor fans in together.  I for one cancelled my season tickets and stopped financially supporting Baylor.  Glad we have a woman president, a new AD, and (had) a coach that did quite a bit to change the culture around football.  Baylor and scandal is nothing new, hell, in the 19th century there was even a gunfight in downtown Waco due Baylor and sexual shenanigans.  https://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/our_man_downtown/waco-special-shoot-a-journalist-get-a-plaque/article_11fce03e-15ca-525a-b227-9054ec7cdcb8.html

That said, most Baylor fans are completely insane.  When Briles was routinely pummeling teams that had historically dominated us, I was pretty vocal about the fact that this was an outlier, this wasn't our norm, and that we should be happy with an average of 7-5 or 8-4.  My exact words were "this is too good to be true, it won't last, the other shoe is about to drop."  I was told to shut the hell up, that we've finally reached our god-given place at the top of college football, and to quit pissing in everyone's cereal.

You are the exception in my experience.

2 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Same, but I understand where Al is coming from and would feel the same if it was ISU.

All of the players seem really happy for Rhule and a current recruit says that Rhule told him he would leave for a good NFL opportunity so seems like he was doing it the right way.