I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I used to work for a company based in Des Moines. Regular grocery store like HyVee would have prime beef as just a part of the standard assortment. The pork is unlike anything seen in these parts.

I won't ever buy grocery store pork again.  We buy whole pigs from a local farmer and get it processed.  Grocery store pork has no flavor.  But pigs from the farm that actually get to forage do.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

I like the different approach here. Looks delicious. But what exactly are we looking at? Griddled onions and peppers and then a think ribeye?

Ya, Ribeye. Tossed in some onions and japs. I was inspired by grill top steaks at Matt’s El Rancho. I make their black magic finishing sauce and use it when I flat top a steak or fajitas. Good stuff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fico said:

And the recipe for this black magic finishing sauce is….

Different steak technique

Got a cookbook written by Matt Martinez in the '90s and it has an interesting steak treatment.

Apply some Texas Sprinkle to both sides (TS is a mixture of garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cracker meal).

Dust the steaks with flour.

Heat 2 T oil (clarified butter here) in a skillet. Brown steaks on both sides and cook to your preference (medium rare here).

Add 1 t Black Magic Finishing Sauce to one side of the steak and another teaspoon to the other side after you flip it. About 45 seconds before it is done.

Black Magic Finishing Sauce is composed of 10 oz Kikkoman lite soy sauce, 1/3 cup red wine, and 1/3 cup red wine vinegar. Matt says his Dad got the idea for it from a friend who owned a Chinese restaurant in Austin. Matt uses the Sprinkle stuff and Black Magic sauce extensively in this older cookbook and the one published in 2006.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/62705-Different-steak-technique

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

That looks good. I had it when I lived in Cali. It’s a challenging cut. I bought one to try myself on the grill. It ate like a bad leg cramp. What’s your technique.

Well the first is getting a good cut - This came from a grass fed, free range cow from a local farm.

BUT that’s not necessary… best two ways IMO:

1) Marinate overnight in burgundy wine and garlic then pat dry and lightly dust with Santa Maria seasoning. Grill to desired temperature

2) Rub with Santa Maria seasoning and your favorite rib or traditional BBQ seasoning. Place in fridge for 30 mins. Grill to desired temperature

Either way, don’t rest it a ton, maybe 5 mins before slicing.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:42 PM, Texzilla58 said:

That looks good. I had it when I lived in Cali. It’s a challenging cut. I bought one to try myself on the grill. It ate like a bad leg cramp. What’s your technique.

Don't overcook it and cut it against the grain.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:42 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I smoke it low at 200 to 220 out whatever until it's like 120 then pull and crank the heat and when the grill is the temp of the sun throw it back on and get a crust on all sides. That has yielded outstanding results for me. One of my favorite cuts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a nice prime boneless ribeye in the "sale" section of Randall's today, so I grabbed it.  Problem is, it's a little small -- just under a pound -- so I'm looking for suggestions on how to serve it for me and my wife tonight.  Steak and potatoes are kinda meh at this point, and I can't do the "surf" part of surf & turf (food allergy).

Any go-to steak and pasta dishes to recommend?  Maybe some sort of Latin dish?  I'm drawing a blank.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw a nice prime boneless ribeye in the "sale" section of Randall's today, so I grabbed it.  Problem is, it's a little small -- just under a pound -- so I'm looking for suggestions on how to serve it for me and my wife tonight.  Steak and potatoes are kinda meh at this point, and I can't do the "surf" part of surf & turf (food allergy).

Any go-to steak and pasta dishes to recommend?  Maybe some sort of Latin dish?  I'm drawing a blank.

Below, plus roasted seasoned broccolini plus a nice greek salad with kalamatas, red onion, and feta. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Ended up making steak & baked potato for her, and a steak sammich with provolone, peppers and onions for me.  Bread from Thundercloud.  Might have overstuffed it a bit.  

I reverse seared to 132 F in a 225 F oven for almost an hour and then hit it with a screaming hot cast iron skillet.  Flavor was amazing, and it stayed tender, even though the seared slices for my sammich went well past med-rare.  Didn't care, had steak.  Sammich.

image.thumb.png.767e345521ca7323ea6b097fd9eb9384.png

• Like 1