Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I just learned that my Grandpa passed away peacefully last night. He had just celebrated his 100th birthday a few weeks ago. He was the best Grandpa anyone could ever have. I will forever cherish the memories of him teaching me how to fish, shoot, and drive. There was nothing better than when Grandpa would ask if you wanted to help him set up a trot line. He’ll never ever know just how much I loved him and I’ll miss him every day for the rest of my life. 

So sorry to hear. Peace to you and your family.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thank you all for the thoughts.  It does actually mean a lot to hear from posters I don't actually "know". And if you are so inclined to raise a glass tonight, please do it. I am doing it right now.  I'm about to read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to my 12 year old son before he goes to bed.  He finally figured out there isn't a Santa Claus this year, or at least finally admitted to us he doesn't believe anymore.  But he did still want o read the book tonight.  I'd be lying if this Christmas Eve doesn't feel different than all of the others.  So I will have a drink for Grandpa tonight.  And I'll remember all of the wonderful things he taught me and all of the things I will try to pass on when I get the honor of being a Grandpa. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Thank you all for the thoughts.  It does actually mean a lot to hear from posters I don't actually "know". And if you are so inclined to raise a glass tonight, please do it. I am doing it right now.  I'm about to read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to my 12 year old son before he goes to bed.  He finally figured out there isn't a Santa Claus this year, or at least finally admitted to us he doesn't believe anymore.  But he did still want o read the book tonight.  I'd be lying if this Christmas Eve doesn't feel different than all of the others.  So I will have a drink for Grandpa tonight.  And I'll remember all of the wonderful things he taught me and all of the things I will try to pass on when I get the honor of being a Grandpa. 

One of my 11 year olds read that to us not an hour ago. 

100 is a hell of a run. 

merry Christmas and peace be to you and your family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/3/2020 at 2:48 PM, Wally Fairway said:

I've avoided this thread for a while - but this is something that I needed to share
I've heard it all, from family and friends - 99% of the people who get it are fine, only old people, people with other co-morbid conditions die, most don't know they have it and those that do it is like the flu

Well this hits close to home, well at least to my adopted hometown - my kids grew up here, and my this girl was a close friend of my youngest son.

A 20 year old college student died in her sleep last week - and her family and her hometown mourns

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2020/11/03/bethany-nesbitt-grand-ledge-grace-college-covid-19-blood-clot/6142078002/

I guess it doesn't really hurt anyone, until it does
and I know this won't change anyone's opinion - hell it hasn't changed my redneck Son in-laws opinion that it is mainly a hoax
not looking for T&P, just sharing because for some families COVID is very real

Her brother Stephen wrote an article released on Christmas about her death and the birth of his first child

https://theathletic.com/2257503/2020/12/25/bethany-nesbitt-grace-college-covid-death/?article_source=search&search_query=bethany

This is the first Christmas without Bethany, and the first with Luke. Our son was born six days after my little sister died as she slept in her dorm room. She had COVID-19. She was 20.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This morning, our hospital ran out of the monoclonal antibody infusion for those who are at high risk. Bamlanivimab isn't perfect but I have seen some incredible post infusion results in some patients I feared would end up the ICU on a vent. The demand is now outstripping supply and we don't control the supply chain. The government does and I actually don't mind because it prevented a bidding war. But it also means we just wait for it to show up. Now we may likely have more admissions and higher morbidity and mortality. But I'm glad John and Suzie had their 300 person non masked wedding because why wait?

• Hook 'Em 2

https://nypost.com/2020/12/29/who-warns-covid-19-pandemic-is-not-necessarily-the-big-one/

Despite the severe global toll of the coronavirus pandemic, the World Health Organization has warned that the outbreak is “not necessarily the big one” — and is urging the world to get “serious” about preparedness.

does this mean lockdowns forever? Hell people are getting tired of masks.

9 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

See... Walmart is safer cause they can keep people wearing masks the whole time...... Wait.

But actually... Yes? When I'm at the store my mask is on entire time, and at a restaurant it's off while I'm at the table. Way more time to be more vulnerable eating than shopping, just based on time wearing a facemask properly

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

But actually... Yes? When I'm at the store my mask is on entire time, and at a restaurant it's off while I'm at the table. Way more time to be more vulnerable eating than shopping, just based on time wearing a facemask properly

I'm glad you're so good at putting yours on, but others have not with not only my video of a woman beating a cop earlier up thread but this

44 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I saw someone on Twitter earlier say we ought to let HEB distribute them.

That's if they are open.

There's also the study done in NY that only less than 2% spread has come from indoor dining.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-coronavirus-variant-uk-detected-southern-california/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6j&linkId=108202242&fbclid=IwAR06wWUoKZMWcUfVhzmX1zDhF5TsephXmtcZYCLKKflcNTBki-bYtycQD88

"California has identified a case of the fast-spreading COVID-19 variant first reported in the United Kingdom, Governor Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday. The announcement comes a day after America's first case of the strain was reported in ColoradColorado"

God damn.

19 hours ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-coronavirus-variant-uk-detected-southern-california/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6j&linkId=108202242&fbclid=IwAR06wWUoKZMWcUfVhzmX1zDhF5TsephXmtcZYCLKKflcNTBki-bYtycQD88

"California has identified a case of the fast-spreading COVID-19 variant first reported in the United Kingdom, Governor Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday. The announcement comes a day after America's first case of the strain was reported in ColoradColorado"

God damn.

And that one in Colorado was from a non-traveler.  

We are trying to get vaccines for my parents and my in-laws, and everywhere they are still working through the group in 1A.  The notion that vaccines were widely available is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And that one in Colorado was from a non-traveler.  

We are trying to get vaccines for my parents and my in-laws, and everywhere they are still working through the group in 1A.  The notion that vaccines were widely available is bullshit.

This year was all bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This is the kind of stuff that is concerning.  Thankfully the number of cases like this is really low.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/31/us/el-paso-teacher-kindness-covid-19-trnd/index.html

Zelene Blancas, a first grade teacher at Dr. Sue A. Shook Elementary School in El Paso, Texas, died Monday, her family told CNN. She was 10 years into her career as a teacher.

Blancas tested positive for coronavirus October 20 and days later, she was hospitalized, her brother, Mario Blancas, told CNN. After weeks of showing signs of recovery and taking steps on her own, her oxygen levels dropped, and she was intubated November 22. 

The otherwise healthy 35-year-old never came off the ventilator, her brother said. She spent two months in the hospital before dying of complications from Covid-19, her family said.

The bilingual teacher came to national attention two years ago when her video of students saying goodbye to each other earned more than 22 million views. She taught her students to be kind, the school's principal, Cristina Sanchez-Chavira, told CNN.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I don't know that has much to do with locked-down/wide open status, as total cases/new cases are probably gonna be highest in the 4 largest states in our country.  

Wyoming is red/wide open and Vermont is blue/locked down, and I'm guessing the two of them ended up towards the bottom of that list with total cases/new cases.  Just a mathematical hunch.  

I don't know that has much to do with locked-down/wide open status, as total cases/new cases are probably gonna be highest in the 4 largest states in our country.  
Wyoming is red/wide open and Vermont is blue/locked down, and I'm guessing the two of them ended up towards the bottom of that list with total cases/new cases.  Just a mathematical hunch.  

It doesn't. If you scroll over on the table that he cherry picked from you'll see that TX and FL have higher per capita cases, with much fewer tests per capita.

Texas has 62k cases per million, New York has 51k. And New York has had 240% more tests per capita than Texas. Given the testing discrepancy it's likely that Texas has double or higher actual cases per capita vs. New York.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

The poster you're replying to was being intentionally disingenuous.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It doesn't. If you scroll over on the table that he cherry picked from you'll see that TX and FL have higher per capita cases, with much fewer tests per capita.

Texas has 62k cases per million, New York has 51k. And New York has had 240% more tests per capita than Texas. Given the testing discrepancy it's likely that Texas has double or higher actual cases per capita vs. New York.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

The poster you're replying to was being intentionally disingenuous.

5670ce19f4e7a2ab5e4e389b022c0a9c.gif
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Is there a point you’re trying to make with this?

I thought it was a good summation of the health impact of Covid. Better than raw case numbers for sure. 

Economic impact

Unemployment rates 11-20

Florida 6.2

Texas 8.1

California 8.2

New York 8.4

Pretty negligible differences there outside of Florida.

Net population change from July 2019-July 2020

New York -126,335

California -69,532

Florida +241,256

Texas +373,965

This doesn’t include the second half of 2020, nor does it include the massive amounts of corporate headquarters movement and capital movement from certain states to others.

It’ll be interesting for people to look back and debate if the long term economic costs of locking down harder were worth the lives saved (or not in NY’s case). 

I thought it was a good summation of the health impact of Covid. Better than raw case numbers for sure. 

Economic impact
Unemployment rates 11-20
Florida 6.2
Texas 8.1
California 8.2
New York 8.4
New York -126,335
California -69,532
Florida +241,256
Texas +373,965
This doesn’t include the second half of 2020, nor does it include the massive amounts of corporate headquarters movement and capital movement from certain states to others.
It’ll be interesting for people to look back and debate if the long term economic costs of locking down harder were worth the lives saved (or not in NY’s case). 

a70873a52bcb72c62e6c19472a59555b.gif

Economic impact
Unemployment rates 11-20
Florida 6.2
Texas 8.1
California 8.2
New York 8.4
New York -126,335
California -69,532
Florida +241,256
Texas +373,965

Those numbers don't mean anything without context. CA and NY were already losing people before COVID. In fact New York's loss rate was lower this year than it's been in five. Texas's growth rate is the same.

Same thing with the unemployment rate.

Also, you should check on Sweden, the case study in taking no precautions. Go see how that's going for them, let us know what you find.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Those numbers don't mean anything without context. CA and NY were already losing people before COVID. In fact New York's loss rate was lower this year than it's been in five. Texas's growth rate is the same.

Same thing with the unemployment rate.

Also, you should check on Sweden, the case study in taking no precautions. Go see how that's going for them, let us know what you find.

Yes these trends have been happening, but Corona has accelerated them. 

I’m interested to see the numbers from July on. That will really show the effect of pandemic policies and people “voting with their feet”. 

On the corporate side just off the top of my head you have Oracle, Tesla, and Charles Schwab moving here in the last few months. 

In the long term, will it have been worth it to have 30-40% less deaths, while essentially exacerbating capital flight from your state? 

I’m interested to see the numbers from July on. That will really show the effect of pandemic policies and people “voting with their feet”. 

On the corporate side just off the top of my head you have Oracle, Tesla, and Charles Schwab moving here in the last few months. 

In the long term, will it have been worth it to have 30-40% less deaths, while essentially exacerbating capital flight from your state? 

Bruh, those companies moved to Austin which has had the strictest lockdowns in Texas. The quasi-political point you're making about blue vs. red states doesn't work when all of the business growth you're talking about is in bright blue Austin. C'mon now.

BTW I'm on record on this thread about not being a huge lockdown guy. I'm just a sucker for correcting bad science when I see it. Part of the problem with this pandemic is that we have two sides working from two different sets of "facts". So there's never going to be give and take getting us to a good, intelligent result. Just two sides too dug in to govern effectively.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Since you supposedly live in snow bound San Antonio you would think you knew that oracle and Tesla were moving to the people’s republic of Austin with its oppressive city lock downs. But I guess that would be too much for you to understand after a long day of cracking backs.

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

They literally moved to the place in Texas with the strictest lockdown measures.

This had nothing to do with fucking covid, and everything to do with Austin/Texas is cheaper and has a large pool of talent.

4 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Bruh, those companies moved to Austin which has had the strictest lockdowns in Texas. The quasi-political point you're making about blue vs. red states doesn't work when all of the business growth you're talking about is in bright blue Austin. C'mon now.

BTW I'm on record on this thread about not being a huge lockdown guy. I'm just a sucker for correcting bad science when I see it. Part of the problem with this pandemic is that we have two sides working from two different sets of "facts". So there's never going to be give and take getting us to a good, intelligent result. Just two sides too dug in to govern effectively.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

They literally moved to the place in Texas with the strictest lockdown measures.

This had nothing to do with fucking covid, and everything to do with Austin/Texas is cheaper and has a large pool of talent.

lol y'all responding to GRHorn.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away