Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Thought 'A Swedish Failure' was when a woman gets tired of blowing you, so you jerk yourself off while she gives you a desultory ball-licking until climax.   

Edited by Lobo

Whenever I try to figure out whether the U.S. is doing a good job or bad job on Covid, I think about our comparison to Europe, which has a similar enough culture and environment to be at least a decent proxy (as opposed to authoritarian countries that either lie or can violate citizen's rights with impunity).

With that as criteria, here is how the U.S. is performing vs. larger European countries on cases per million population and deaths per million. Conclusion? We are kind of sucking.

coronavirus-data-explorer.png

coronavirus-data-explorer deaths.png

47 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Whenever I try to figure out whether the U.S. is doing a good job or bad job on Covid, I think about our comparison to Europe, which has a similar enough culture and environment to be at least a decent proxy (as opposed to authoritarian countries that either lie or can violate citizen's rights with impunity).

With that as criteria, here is how the U.S. is performing vs. larger European countries on cases per million population and deaths per million. Conclusion? We are kind of sucking.

coronavirus-data-explorer.png

coronavirus-data-explorer deaths.png

These are the right comparison groups imo, and wrt deaths it looks like we are all running in a pack. There are some ascertainment differences between countries, but I think that these are the right comparison groups, with some additional adjustment required for a variety of risk factors (age structure, obesity, other RF, etc.).  People that thrown out South Korea or India or New Zealand are picking entirely very dissimilar comparison groups. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-problems-millions-doses-warehouse

Pfizer said it currently has millions of doses awaiting shipping instructions, defending the rollout of its COVID-19 vaccine Thursday, after Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said there have been hiccups.

“Pfizer is not having any production issues with our COVID-19 vaccine, and no shipments containing the vaccine are on hold or delayed," the company said in a statement Thursday.

"We have millions more doses sitting in our warehouse but, as of now, we have not received any shipment instructions for additional doses."

Pfizer also disputed this Thursday, saying that they have shared all the information requested of them.

"We have continuously shared with Operation Warp Speed (OWS) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services through weekly meetings every aspect of our production and distribution capabilities," Pfizer said Thursday. "They have visited our facilities, walked the production lines and been updated on our production planning as information has become available."

Fucking Health and Human Services fucking around and trying to find out.  Just send more shipments to the places you've already sent them to, I'm pretty sure they can find plenty of people who need/want them.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-problems-millions-doses-warehouse
Pfizer said it currently has millions of doses awaiting shipping instructions, defending the rollout of its COVID-19 vaccine Thursday, after Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said there have been hiccups.
“Pfizer is not having any production issues with our COVID-19 vaccine, and no shipments containing the vaccine are on hold or delayed," the company said in a statement Thursday.
"We have millions more doses sitting in our warehouse but, as of now, we have not received any shipment instructions for additional doses."
Pfizer also disputed this Thursday, saying that they have shared all the information requested of them.
"We have continuously shared with Operation Warp Speed (OWS) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services through weekly meetings every aspect of our production and distribution capabilities," Pfizer said Thursday. "They have visited our facilities, walked the production lines and been updated on our production planning as information has become available."

I'm sure there is some non-political reason these aren't being distributed yet. Surely no one is trying to use these as leverage for anything...

On 12/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, GRHorn said:

I divulge as little as possible here due to my zealous fan club. Suffice it to say I spend plenty of time in and around ORs at multiple hospital systems. I haven’t seen a single person practice those levels of precautions outside of a Covid or suspected Covid case since the Spring. Maybe you work somewhere where Greenspoint MD is chief of anesthesia so those are the norm, but I’ve seen literally zero people do it here. I’ve heard of very little anesthesia Covid here. Sounds like overkill. 

You should report the hospitals you described the Joint Commission on Accreditation. Or just let us know, so we can avoid those facilities. 

@GreenspointTexas Kudos for your selfless work to ensure patient safety. I know physicians who have extremely similar medical practices like yours.  A sterile environment is so important for your patient population considering where you do your work on a patient. You deserve a medal. 

Stay well, and thank you.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

I'm sure there is some non-political reason these aren't being distributed yet. Surely no one is trying to use these as leverage for anything...

Well for the pfizer vaccine at least, theres very specific storage requirements so it makes sense that they wouldn't just drop ship them to someplace that couldn't store it. Ya know, this is the sort of thing that a national COVID task force would be SUPER useful for now that I think about it...

10 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

You should report the hospitals you described the Joint Commission on Accreditation. Or just let us know, so we can avoid those facilities. 

@GreenspointTexas Kudos for your selfless work to ensure patient safety. I know physicians who have extremely similar medical practices like yours.  A sterile environment is so important for your patient population considering where you do your work on a patient. You deserve a medal. 

Stay well, and thank you.

Lulz. We actually just had a JCAHO inspection at one of our hospitals. Part of that is a trip through the OR. Nobody doing all the stuff Greenspoint described. We weren’t shut down on the spot.

• Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Lulz. We actually just had a JCAHO inspection at one of our hospitals. Part of that is a trip through the OR. Nobody doing all the stuff Greenspoint described. We weren’t shut down on the spot.

and you reuse PPE between patients as well, what's your point? The barest minimum to not get shut down isn't a standard of care I'd like for anyone I love. But we know you've got alternative standards just going off your avatar pic

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

and you reuse PPE between patients as well, what's your point? The barest minimum to not get shut down isn't a standard of care I'd like for anyone I love. But we know you've got alternative standards just going off your avatar pic

That isn't how it works.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Uh oh. Here comes another person that doesn’t know what they’re talking about. 

As for the PPE reuse, that was early in the pandemic and it was adequate. I use a different N95 each day now. 

I didn’t say we do the barest minimum. I was just replying to WashPark saying these facilities should be reported. It’s just flat nonsense. 

• Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Uh oh. Here comes another person that doesn’t know what they’re talking about. 

As for the PPE reuse, that was early in the pandemic and it was adequate. I use a different N95 each day now. 

I didn’t say we do the barest minimum. I was just replying to WashPark saying these facilities should be reported. It’s just flat nonsense. 

You don’t need a N95 mask to post fake medical bullshit on the Internet from your basement. Has it stopped snowing there yet? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

You didn't say you do the bare minimum, but you give greenspoint grief for taking measures that you don't care to and justifying it with "we don't get shut down". Sure sounds like cutting corners wherever you can get away with it

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

In the facilities you tout, are any of them affiliated with an anesthesiologist or a group performing fluoroscopically-guided injections of the spine within the facility? Have you ever seen those procedures? Do you know what patient safety measures are taken and required for those procedures? 

Anesthesiologists do much more than shoving tubes down throats.  But you knew that, right?

The patient safety measures you derided are standard. Fuck around with them and find out. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Anesthesiologists do much more than shoving tubes down throats.  But you knew that, right?

They’re pretty good at reading newspapers during cases and hanging out in the doctor’s lounge too. I keed. I keed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

You didn't say you do the bare minimum, but you give greenspoint grief for taking measures that you don't care to and justifying it with "we don't get shut down". Sure sounds like cutting corners wherever you can get away with it

There’s no cutting corners where I work. 

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

In the facilities you tout, are any of them affiliated with an anesthesiologist or a group performing fluoroscopically-guided injections of the spine within the facility? Have you ever seen those procedures? Do you know what patient safety measures are taken and required for those procedures? 

The patient safety measures you derided are standard. Fuck around with them and find out. 

Yes, yes, yes, yes

51 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

They’re pretty good at reading newspapers during cases and hanging out in the doctor’s lounge too. I keed. I keed.

Your user name should be Olddoc. Nobody reads newspapers anymore. 

• Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

raw&f=1&nofb=1

I really wish there were a way I could convince you and the other minions without giving up any personal identification info.

All I can tell you is I’m smart, have a large ego, think everyone should do things the way I do them, I’m used to being catered to at work, I married a hot nurse and I make questionable business decisions. I hope that will suffice. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I really wish there were a way I could convince you and the other minions without giving up any personal identification info.

All I can tell you is I’m smart, have a large ego, think everyone should do things the way I do them, I’m used to being catered to at work, I married a hot nurse and I make questionable business decisions. I hope that will suffice. 

Agree - don't dox yourself.

But you may want to check with your E&O, liability and malpractice carriers on what they will cover (if you haven't already). Best to get those tricky coverage issues tackled before a problem surfaces. 

Hook 'em.

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

I like you washpark but what greenspoint is describing is not only not standard of care, it’s far above and beyond what is called for. None of that is being done at any of the hospitals I go to, which  run the gamut from level 1 trauma centers to community hospitals to physcian owned specialty hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers. Not a single one is using the protocols described by greenspoint. It is a huge waste of time and resources.

Truly urgent or emergent surgeries or procedures on covid positive or suspected covid positive patients warrant that degree of precautions. Elective surgeries and procedures —including spine injections — should have a negative covid nasal swab within 72 hours of the procedure and a negative screening questionnaire and be afebrile the day of or don’t get done. That’s the protocol everywhere I go  

also I may have misread his posts but if they are intubating patients for routine spinal injections that is way outside standard of care and even proscribed by the ASIPP and ASA except for very rare instances 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Now they trade stocks on their phones

anesthesiology is 98% sheer boredom and 2% absolute terror

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I don’t believe you. You didn’t say anything about your wife never believing the answer to any medical question she asks you

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

intubating patients for routine spinal injections 

I didn't read it that way. And with all candor, I have never seen an intubation for a spinal injection.

I assume this is a typical anesthesiologist group working in a hospital setting performing a wide range of services, including injections for pain patients, labor and delivery, intubations for the OR's . . . 

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I didn't read it that way. And with all candor, I have never seen an intubation for a spinal injection.

I assume this is a typical anesthesiologist group working in a hospital setting performing a wide range of services, including injections for pain patients, labor and delivery, intubations for the OR's . . . 

They are certainly a typical in their approach to standard protocols

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

You should stick to your vague "medical industrial complex" rhetoric cause you are not quite equipped to get into discussion of actual details. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Now they trade stocks on their phones

anesthesiology is 98% sheer boredom and 2% absolute terror

I don’t believe you. You didn’t say anything about your wife never believing the answer to any medical question she asks you

I get more stuff like her showing me a picture of her niece’s rash and I say I don’t know it is. Then she asks why I didn’t pay attention during the dermatology portion of school. 

56 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I assume he works for a standard group in Houston too. Either he works in the most hyper vigilant setting I’ve ever heard of, or he’s exaggerating for effect, which is why I called out the post initially. It’s ridiculous on its face. 

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

I like you washpark but what greenspoint is describing is not only not standard of care, it’s far above and beyond what is called for. None of that is being done at any of the hospitals I go to, which  run the gamut from level 1 trauma centers to community hospitals to physcian owned specialty hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers. Not a single one is using the protocols described by greenspoint. It is a huge waste of time and resources.

Truly urgent or emergent surgeries or procedures on covid positive or suspected covid positive patients warrant that degree of precautions. Elective surgeries and procedures —including spine injections — should have a negative covid nasal swab within 72 hours of the procedure and a negative screening questionnaire and be afebrile the day of or don’t get done. That’s the protocol everywhere I go  

also I may have misread his posts but if they are intubating patients for routine spinal injections that is way outside standard of care and even proscribed by the ASIPP and ASA except for very rare instances 

thank you, baby Jesus. I know some people on this site dislike me for political reasons, but I don’t chime in on shit like this unless I know what I’m talking about. Some of y’all that immediately doubt me just because you don’t like me, should examine that reaction. 

I mean because of who I am, one of y’all suggested a CRNA doing IV sedation for pain injections during the pandemic should get a medal. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that hyperbole wouldn’t have been thrown around if it wasn’t the part of some shade against me. Over the top respect bestowed because you’re on the “right” side.

Kind of like insisting on saying Dr Jill Biden. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I get more stuff like her showing me a picture of her niece’s rash and I say I don’t know it is. Then she asks why I didn’t pay attention during the dermatology portion of school. 

I assume he works for a standard group in Houston too. Either he works in the most hyper vigilant setting I’ve ever heard of, or he’s exaggerating for effect, which is why I called out the post initially. It’s ridiculous on its face. 

thank you, baby Jesus. I know some people on this site dislike me for political reasons, but I don’t chime in on shit like this unless I know what I’m talking about. Some of y’all that immediately doubt me just because you don’t like me, should examine that reaction. 

I mean because of who I am, one of y’all suggested a CRNA doing IV sedation for pain injections during the pandemic should get a medal. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that hyperbole wouldn’t have been thrown around if it wasn’t the part of some shade against me. Over the top respect bestowed because you’re on the “right” side.

Kind of like insisting on saying Dr Jill Biden. 

I haven't seen you over there in awhile. I figured you gave up over there. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away