Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, but a lot of people on here did not. I do not think anyone expected the fucked up response we have shown. Was walking back from HEB tonight (yes, it was open) and passed two bars. Both packed. One had live music and free food.  

I do not believe a lot of reported numbers around the globe, but damn we fucked this up. 

Yup. Thanks to all these dumbfucks, the precautions and extra protocols we have to follow at work are fucking incredible

Imagine doing 20-30 pain cases a day. Now imagine terminally cleaning the room between each patient. Also imagine donning a gown for each patient. Wearing an n95 all day with a surgical mask on the outside (changing the surgical mask between each patient) all day. Imagine wearing goggles for 6-10 hrs straight. Heating stuff up in the break room and then eating in your car every day. Rapid sequence tubing everyone who needs an intubation. Waiting 11 minutes after each intubation without opening the door for OR air to make one complete circulation. Applying simple masks with tape over the holes on every patient on the way to pacu. Video laryngoscoping EVERY fucking intubation... with only one glidescope available. Draping every patient with a plastic drape before starting induction. 

There are more things we now have to do, but im too tired to list em. We covid test all out patients pre-operatively a few days before, but I doubt they are all quarantining between the test and surgery. 

The good news is: my wife will be getting the vaccine late next week from TCH... so I guess mine shouldnt be far behind

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/11/2020 at 3:38 PM, Skipper said:

Yes, I get that.  But wouldn't it be nice to have a robust supply of the drug available to give to those most likely to be hospitalized as soon as infection is confirmed?  If anyone 60+ prudent to get tested had this option you would think hospitalizations could be decreased significantly.

We already have a pretty good and easily available supply down at the feed store. And the good news is that one tube will give you several doses if you know how to do basic maths.

13 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And right as they announced that, they showed how many cases in NYC could be traced to restaurants and bars. 1.4%. Meanwhile, almost 80% are from private gatherings in homes. So....now they are talking about going back into full lockdown. Talk about ignoring the data.

Trust the Science (that we believe benefits our position)

• Hook 'Em 4

And right as they announced that, they showed how many cases in NYC could be traced to restaurants and bars. 1.4%. Meanwhile, almost 80% are from private gatherings in homes. So....now they are talking about going back into full lockdown. Talk about ignoring the data.

Link?

NVM found it.

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Link?

NVM found it.

Now our awesome mayor is saying full lockdown after Christmas.  Idiot.  In home gatherings is what is causing the spread. Locking down things like outdoor dining, retail and museums, where spread is minimal, is just punishing those of us who are actually isolating as much as possible.   Fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Now our awesome mayor is saying full lockdown after Christmas.  Idiot.  In home gatherings is what is causing the spread. Locking down things like outdoor dining, retail and museums, where spread is minimal, is just punishing those of us who are actually isolating as much as possible.   Fuck him. 

He’s publicly suggested this?

He’s publicly suggested this?

Yep.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-14/u-s-deaths-surpass-300-000-as-vaccinations-begin-virus-update?sref=knoriXqz

NYC Shutdown Likely After Christmas (12:02 p.m. NY)

New Yorkers can expect a shutdown of all but essential businesses soon after Christmas, Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

If the city’s businesses close “right after Christmas, with good luck and hard work we could be out of that in a matter of weeks,” the mayor said.

Although New York Governor Andrew Cuomo will make the final decisions, closures will be similar to what the city experienced last spring, with the exception that schools will remain open, de Blasio said.

It will take weeks to reduce the number of people hospitalized -- at 2.89 per 100,000 in the population as of Dec. 13 -- to the city’s established safety level of 2 per 100,000. The percentage of people testing positive for the virus stood at 5.51%, also above the city’s threshold, which is 5%. People admitted to hospitals on Dec. 13 for Covid-19 symptoms stood at 160 -- below the threshold of 200.

Of course, once indoor dining was shut down, the numbers were released that showed where spread is coming from. The vast number of cases are coming from in home events. Like I said, idiots.

Welcome to the club. Hoping tomorrow our governor lifts his restrictions he imposed a month ago, considering every state around MInnesota peaked at the same time without the shutdowns that Minnesota imposed.

Of course, once indoor dining was shut down, the numbers were released that showed where spread is coming from. The vast number of cases are coming from in home events. Like I said, idiots.

Just to be clear, I actually think gatherings in the home are more dangerous than most other activities. A lot of restaurants, etc.. have implemented pretty strict measures to make things safe as they can be. People are NOT following those protocols in their homes.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Just to be clear, I actually think gatherings in the home are more dangerous than most other activities. A lot of restaurants, etc.. have implemented pretty strict measures to make things safe as they can be. People are NOT following those protocols in their homes.

one thing that amazes me the most during this whole pandemic is that we have hundreds of experiments from all over the world to help guide us (ahead of schedule). and leaders just fucking ignore it.

My 6 week lockdown became 4 months. two centres for the virus were in home gathers (religious holidays) and nursing homes. the initial 6 week lockdown was caused by the first. We all fucking know the virus spreads indoors but whatever. 

and there I was - in a park by my fucking lonesome - unable to sit on any bench or take off my mask for fear of a $1k fine. We had actual popos and military out writing tickets here. Yet - Eid and Easter lets fucking do it. 

And - not done hold on - and during the 6 week lockdown in fucking July/August we failed to care about nursing homes, even though there is so much fucking data/stories out there from Europe and the US on this as a hot spot. No PPE and nursing/staff were allowed to work there and elsewhere in the city, commuting all over. STUPID IS ON LINE 1. And then 6 weeks is 4 months and with no community transmission I still have to wear a mask in the park by myself. fucking infurating that we have the capacity to learn and be informed and still just fucking bury our head in the sand.

Good luck with your post Xmas lockdown which of course means nothing anyway, but if you actually were to have a legit lockdown then waiting on the holidays to first pass is just doubling shit at best. just fucking dumb

SOMEONE CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD

dataimagepngbase64iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, staboner said:

one thing that amazes me the most during this whole pandemic is that we have hundreds of experiments from all over the world to help guide us (ahead of schedule). and leaders just fucking ignore it.

My 6 week lockdown became 4 months. two centres for the virus were in home gathers (religious holidays) and nursing homes. the initial 6 week lockdown was caused by the first. We all fucking know the virus spreads indoors but whatever. 

and there I was - in a park by my fucking lonesome - unable to sit on any bench or take off my mask for fear of a $1k fine. We had actual popos and military out writing tickets here. Yet - Eid and Easter lets fucking do it. 

And - not done hold on - and during the 6 week lockdown in fucking July/August we failed to care about nursing homes, even though there is so much fucking data/stories out there from Europe and the US on this as a hot spot. No PPE and nursing/staff were allowed to work there and elsewhere in the city, commuting all over. STUPID IS ON LINE 1. And then 6 weeks is 4 months and with no community transmission I still have to wear a mask in the park by myself. fucking infurating that we have the capacity to learn and be informed and still just fucking bury our head in the sand.

Good luck with your post Xmas lockdown which of course means nothing anyway, but if you actually were to have a legit lockdown then waiting on the holidays to first pass is just doubling shit at best. just fucking dumb

SOMEONE CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD

dataimagepngbase64iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUg

Did the aussies do this to you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

No, just tired of your misguided attempt at policing.   You have to be one of the top three whiniest ass bitches on this site, and that’s saying something.  How are you taking, the loss, btw?  Feel free to elaborate.  

Finally sobered up...

pretty fucking good.

13 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yep.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-14/u-s-deaths-surpass-300-000-as-vaccinations-begin-virus-update?sref=knoriXqz

Do you have a link to this data? Just curious to see it for myself. 

11 months in, people still don't get it.  It was never about people per square mile or people of color or people in blue states or red states.  

It's about people per square foot, regardless of ethnicity or state.  People breathing and talking on one another, indoors, for prolonged periods of time, particularly in groups spread the fucking virus.  I know it's Christmastime, but how the fuck are we still having these conversations?  The spit droplets from the guy's fat wife travel through the air and linger for awhile.  The more she talks and the longer everybody else sits there eating, drinking, and listening to her...the more it's transmitted.  HVAC doesn't magically remove it.  The more assholes in the room with her spewing out air and bullshit, the more is spread around those four walls.  

Same thing with the mask.  It's not even virology, or public health, or epidemiology.  It's just fucking gravity folks.  Plain and simple.  Fat people spew the virus out into the air attached to spit droplets.  Masks help prevent that.  This idiotic FoxNews talking point, "Well, it's like trying to stop a mosquito with a chain link fence."  No, the mask doesn't have to stop the virus itself.  That is impossible.  But the mask can stop the saliva mixed with little bit of McRib sandwich from your obese wife's fucking big yapper.  

If you're the smartest person in the room, congrats...it's 2020.  That's now a distinct possibility. 

If you're the person in the room with dozens of people who won't stop talking without masks, you're in the wrong room.  Get out.  Nuke it from orbit. 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:55 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Yup. Thanks to all these dumbfucks, the precautions and extra protocols we have to follow at work are fucking incredible

Imagine doing 20-30 pain cases a day. Now imagine terminally cleaning the room between each patient. Also imagine donning a gown for each patient. Wearing an n95 all day with a surgical mask on the outside (changing the surgical mask between each patient) all day. Imagine wearing goggles for 6-10 hrs straight. Heating stuff up in the break room and then eating in your car every day. Rapid sequence tubing everyone who needs an intubation. Waiting 11 minutes after each intubation without opening the door for OR air to make one complete circulation. Applying simple masks with tape over the holes on every patient on the way to pacu. Video laryngoscoping EVERY fucking intubation... with only one glidescope available. Draping every patient with a plastic drape before starting induction. 

There are more things we now have to do, but im too tired to list em. We covid test all out patients pre-operatively a few days before, but I doubt they are all quarantining between the test and surgery. 

The good news is: my wife will be getting the vaccine late next week from TCH... so I guess mine shouldnt be far behind

You really do all of these things? You personally with all the airway precautions and all the facility precautions like terminal cleaning between pain cases? 

If so, that’s ridiculous. 

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You really do all of these things? You personally with all the airway precautions and all the facility precautions like terminal cleaning between pain cases? 

If so, that’s ridiculous. 

Yes. On days where there are 30-45 pain cases it went from taking 8 hours to taking 10-11 hours now because we have to wait an extra 5 min between each case for them to clean every fucking surface.

Anesthesia takes longer. Pre op takes longer. Cases take longer. Pacu is not really affected. And you wonder why I get pissed off at chuckledicks for not following the rules

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yes. On days where there are 30-45 pain cases it went from taking 8 hours to taking 10-11 hours now because we have to wait an extra 5 min between each case for them to clean every fucking surface.

Anesthesia takes longer. Pre op takes longer. Cases take longer. Pacu is not really affected. And you wonder why I get pissed off at chuckledicks for not following the rules

I know it’s your bit to be over the top about this, but you don’t have to exaggerate to make Covid bad. Nobody I’ve seen is still waiting 11 minutes after intubation to enter the room. Nobody is gowning up for every case. Almost no one demand the video scope every case. No drapes every patient preop. No one tapes the masks down post op. Everyone takes their eye protection off throughout the day. No one eats in their car. I mean come on man. 

If you really do all these things then you are one in a million and I bet any fast pain doc that has to work with you dreads having your slow ass in their room. Anybody with any stroke talks to your bosses or OR directors and has you moved out if at all possible. 

I realize few here understand the level of nonsense you described in your original post, but I do. At best it’s the highest level of paranoia I’ve ever encountered. At worst, you’re making up shit about your day to day routine to try to make some point. Stahp

Edited by GRHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I know it’s your bit to be over the top about this, but you don’t have to exaggerate to make Covid bad. Nobody I’ve seen is still waiting 11 minutes after intubation to enter the room. Nobody is gowning up for every case. Almost no one demand the video scope every case. No drapes every patient preop. No one tapes the masks down post op. Everyone takes their eye protection off throughout the day. No one eats in their car. I mean come on man. 

If you really do all these things then you are one in a million and I bet any fast pain doc that has to work with you dreads having your slow ass in their room. Anybody with any stroke talks to your bosses or OR directors and has you moved out if at all possible. 

I realize few here understand the level of nonsense you described in your original post, but I do. At best it’s the highest level of paranoia I’ve ever encountered. At worst, you’re making up shit about your day to day routine to try to make some point. Stahp

I lied about zero things in my above post. I havent used a non-video laryngoscope in almost 9 months. In the two facilities ive been going to since the pandemic started, one has had the air circulation policy in place since april maybe? The other had the policy in place, removed it during the summer, and re-instituted it in october iirc. We gown up, double glove, plastic drape (we used to use a plastic box but that was too cumbersome), and wear eye protection for intubation. We also keep eye protection on throughout the day. 

we tape over the holes in on the simple masks with silk tape (whether it stops anything or not, i dunno). We absolutely clean almost every surface, including mopping the floor, between every case (and pain cases). And yes, it delays shit bigtime. And yes, I DO eat in my car every day because we only have one breakroom at both sites and everyone eats there together (usually 6-15 people crammed in there pre-covid). Most other anesthesia providers also eat in their cars... a lot of facility staff dont care or think its a hoax.

I wont defend this further, but im absolutely not overblowing what we do. My group has almost 60 anesthesia providers, and only 3 have had covid symptomatically since this has started. Facility staff however, have had many problems with people getting covid and having to be out for a few weeks. I lost count, but if I had to guess... out of maybe 120 staff members at both facilities, maybe 20 have had it symptomatically?

Considering we (anesthetists) look in peoples mouths for a living, id say we are doing a pretty good job. I usually have my schtick on here and usually post like a jackass. But I lol at the thought of anyone thinking anything from above is overkill

Just curious... what section of medicine are you in?

• Like 1

I lied about zero things in my above post. I havent used a non-video laryngoscope in almost 9 months. In the two facilities ive been going to since the pandemic started, one has had the air circulation policy in place since april maybe? The other had the policy in place, removed it during the summer, and re-instituted it in october iirc. We gown up, double glove, plastic drape (we used to use a plastic box but that was too cumbersome), and wear eye protection for intubation. We also keep eye protection on throughout the day. 

we tape over the holes in on the simple masks with silk tape (whether it stops anything or not, i dunno). We absolutely clean almost every surface, including mopping the floor, between every case (and pain cases). And yes, it delays shit bigtime. And yes, I DO eat in my car every day because we only have one breakroom at both sites and everyone eats there together (usually 6-15 people crammed in there pre-covid). Most other anesthesia providers also eat in their cars... a lot of facility staff dont care or think its a hoax.

I wont defend this further, but im absolutely not overblowing what we do. My group has almost 60 anesthesia providers, and only 3 have had covid symptomatically since this has started. Facility staff however, have had many problems with people getting covid and having to be out for a few weeks. I lost count, but if I had to guess... out of maybe 120 staff members at both facilities, maybe 20 have had it symptomatically?

Considering we (anesthetists) look in peoples mouths for a living, id say we are doing a pretty good job. I usually have my schtick on here and usually post like a jackass. But I lol at the thought of anyone thinking anything from above is overkill

The fake internet kind.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I divulge as little as possible here due to my zealous fan club. Suffice it to say I spend plenty of time in and around ORs at multiple hospital systems. I haven’t seen a single person practice those levels of precautions outside of a Covid or suspected Covid case since the Spring. Maybe you work somewhere where Greenspoint MD is chief of anesthesia so those are the norm, but I’ve seen literally zero people do it here. I’ve heard of very little anesthesia Covid here. Sounds like overkill. 

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

With a description like that, you could be an artificial joint salesman. 

Nope. I’m not that big of a bro.

I’m intentionally vague, but I graduated from one of the UT system Medical schools. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/11/2020 at 4:56 PM, MissingInAction said:

My sister is an ER nurse and she has stories of people denying they have the rona when they show up barely able to breathe. Even after being diagnosed they are convinced  it's a lie. Sometimes unto their dying breath, or lack of it really.

Just catching up on this thread. This kind of stuff is so sad to see. 

Coronahoax people and “we can’t open schools safely” people are basically the same. Neither lives in reality and it’s harmful to themselves and others. Both should be ignored. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:55 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

image.gif.7317ff6d69ab0e829047256cffa11f00.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is a bizarre Covid-related story as posted by a friend from Las Vegas:

“We were informed on Monday that we were in contact with someone that was in contact with someone else that tested positive.

Obviously a little concerned about it, the person that had direct contact with the person that was positive got tested and came back negative. He just sent me a text about his negative test results.

Now for the rest of this bizarre story about the person that tested positive, that our friend was in contact with.
He tested positive when he got tested while being admitted to hospital ER.
Apparently he shot himself in the leg in his sleep. 🤦‍♂️ I know, I’m waiting to hear the rest of this story too“

Ok, so while I am all for NYC keeping retail and outdoor dining open, people like this bitch piss me off.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIrTQenp2YX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Her family was coming to New York, they were going to ignore the quarantine orders for out of state visitors so their kid (she will be 3 in April) could see the fucking Rockefeller Tree.  When the kid wouldn't keep her mask on, which is something United requires, they removed the family.  The mom proceeds to cry and moan on Instagram, and tons of people are now saying United was in the wrong.

Fuck that.  This entitled bitch and her family are in the fucking wrong.  We are the middle of a pandemic.  Why fly from Denver to NYC to see a fucking tree?  Dumb cunt.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, so while I am all for NYC keeping retail and outdoor dining open, people like this bitch piss me off.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIrTQenp2YX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Her family was coming to New York, they were going to ignore the quarantine orders for out of state visitors so their kid (she will be 3 in April) could see the fucking Rockefeller Tree.  When the kid wouldn't keep her mask on, which is something United requires, they removed the family.  The mom proceeds to cry and moan on Instagram, and tons of people are now saying United was in the wrong.

Fuck that.  This entitled bitch and her family are in the fucking wrong.  We are the middle of a pandemic.  Why fly from Denver to NYC to see a fucking tree?  Dumb cunt.

What kind of purse was she wearing?

• Haha 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away