Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

14 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Thankfully this appears to be a test virus, not the big Kahuna. The 1918 Flu hit the young more than the old, that's what made it so deadly. This isn't that. It's just taking out the old and vulnerable, which is terrible but not a catastrophe. 

First, you have to put it into context.  It was the first flu pandemic because of how mobile the world was in 1918 - 10s of millions of soldiers, sailors, and refugees moving around between 1918-1920 thanks to WWI, and many had weakened immune systems due to injury, malnourishment, etc already. War is hell and all that.  Prior to that, aggressive flus weren't able to travel worldwide in such a short amount of time, because they burned out quickly/pneumonia took the victims down before they got very far.

I'm glad you don't hide your tinfoil hat about this, but if you go study up on it, and read the contemporary accounts of the era, you'll find the 1918 flu itself wasn't necessarily more deadly than previous and subsequent flu pandemics.  True, it did hit young people hard (cytokine storm and all that), but most could have been saved with modern medical practices that could have managed their fevers, dehydration, etc.  Far too many of the victims simply died from dehydration, malnourishment, piss-poor hygiene practices in general, a lack of medicine to treat the symptoms - hell, we have stuff available at most pharmacies that could have saved a lot of these people.

Most people who died during the 1918 pandemic died from bacterial pneumonia (which was caused by the flu, but was not the flu itself).  Something that we can treat without much of a second thought these days.  

Guess what, it's not a good idea to shove hundreds of sick people with weakened immune systems into big buildings with little airflow and poor sanitation - turns out you put people with weakened immune systems into contact with lots of other sick people, and you end up with scenes like this, where who knows what illnesses are being passed around like crazy:

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Skipper said:

May have already been mentioned in this thread but perfect timing for Netflix to release "pendemic" with this going on.  I'm only one episode in and part of the story involves scientist trying to develop a universal vaccine.

Same. I didn't realize how close they were to a universal flu vaccine. And they're not the only group doing it. I think they're the only ones trying to do it for the good of the world without big pharma

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Same. I didn't realize how close they were to a universal flu vaccine. And they're not the only group doing it. I think they're the only ones trying to do it for the good of the world without big pharma

There are tons of flu vaccines in clinical trials. Go to PhRMA and go to drugs in development and choose the infectious disease drugs in development.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

There are tons of flu vaccines in clinical trials. Go to PhRMA and go to drugs in development and choose the infectious disease drugs in development.

Anything for infectious diseases that are sexually transmitted between man and goat?  Asking for a friend in College Station.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

First, you have to put it into context.  It was the first flu pandemic because of how mobile the world was in 1918 - 10s of millions of soldiers, sailors, and refugees moving around between 1918-1920 thanks to WWI, and many had weakened immune systems due to injury, malnourishment, etc already. War is hell and all that.  Prior to that, aggressive flus weren't able to travel worldwide in such a short amount of time, because they burned out quickly/pneumonia took the victims down before they got very far.

I'm glad you don't hide your tinfoil hat about this, but if you go study up on it, and read the contemporary accounts of the era, you'll find the 1918 flu itself wasn't necessarily more deadly than previous and subsequent flu pandemics.  True, it did hit young people hard (cytokine storm and all that), but most could have been saved with modern medical practices that could have managed their fevers, dehydration, etc.  Far too many of the victims simply died from dehydration, malnourishment, piss-poor hygiene practices in general, a lack of medicine to treat the symptoms - hell, we have stuff available at most pharmacies that could have saved a lot of these people.

Most people who died during the 1918 pandemic died from bacterial pneumonia (which was caused by the flu, but was not the flu itself).  Something that we can treat without much of a second thought these days.  

Guess what, it's not a good idea to shove hundreds of sick people with weakened immune systems into big buildings with little airflow and poor sanitation - turns out you put people with weakened immune systems into contact with lots of other sick people, and you end up with scenes like this, where who knows what illnesses are being passed around like crazy:

spacer.png

So the "Build a giant hospital in a week" idea in Wuhan might a worse solution.

43 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

Looks a lot like a military aid/casualty station - which considering the timetable here, is exactly what it was.  Imagining the bathrooms were super clean....

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

So the "Build a giant hospital in a week" idea in Wuhan might a worse solution.

Actually from what it sounds like, it is "grade an area and bring in a shit-ton of pre-fab buildings."  So it's not really that impressive when they are doing pre-fabs.   

For reference, 15 years go, FEMA collected/bought 17,000 trailers for victims of one hurricane.  They managed to get 145,000 trailers together for Rita and Katarina in 2005.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Looks a lot like a military aid/casualty station - which considering the timetable here, is exactly what it was.  Imagining the bathrooms were super clean....

Bathrooms?  You mean bed pans?  Would like to think they were thoroughly cleaned, but shit, they were just starting to figure out antiseptics in WWI, not sure about disinfectants beyond boiling instruments.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

check this shit out:

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2020/01/27/2549912680698235804/636x382_MP4_2549912680698235804.mp4

still crazy to me how quickly they can mobilize and undergo a project. 

I would pitch in to bring those people over here to finish 35 between Austin and Dallas, once and for all.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

This isn’t a strain of influenza.  It’s a different type of virus.  I could be wrong, but I don’t believe a flu shot provides any resistance to corona viruses.

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

The flu shot only covers two strains A & B if a third strain of the flu pops up like this year the shot has no effect on stopping strain C, D ect.

I stand corrected. I thought this was just a new strain of flu. Thanks and apologies to all.

But everyone should still get the flu shot.

• Like 4

USG saying rethink China travel. 

WASHINGTON, Jan 27 (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department on Monday warned against visiting China and said Americans should not travel to the Hubei province, given that the province's city of Wuhan is ground zero for a new deadly coronavirus.

The State Department has already ordered the departure of all non-emergency U.S. personnel and family members from the province and the "U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services" to its citizens there.

It said travelers should be prepared for the Chinese government to put travel restrictions in place "with little or no advance notice." (Reporting by Lisa Lambert and Makini Brice Editing by Chris Reese)

8 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Are we going to name every inevitable disease to come out of China “Kung Flu”? Imo that’s a great name but too China general. Would be best suited to the “last” flu to ever come out of China. 

My vote goes to WuFlu, for this one. 

I think the last one would be Mao Flu. 

17 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Are we going to name every inevitable disease to come out of China “Kung Flu”? Imo that’s a great name but too China general. Would be best suited to the “last” flu to ever come out of China. 

why would it need to be the last one?  the next would be "Kung Flu: The Legend Continues"

the last one would be "Kung Flu: In A Seedy Motel With A Belt Around Your Neck"

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Right, this will inevitably lead to people talking shit like Shaolin Kung fu sucks and master Tung is a pussy.

Edited by F250

Reports of first confirmed case in Germany. Looking for confirmation. The lists on the twitter page says it is so.

Latest numbers from BNO. 

The table below shows confirmed cases of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in China and other countries. To see a distribution map and a timeline, scroll down. There are currently 3,004 confirmed cases worldwide, including 82 fatalities.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221959266682265602

On 1/26/2020 at 12:12 PM, HRSchenker said:

That is bad news for the HIV community here in the US. Prices are already high and if docs start writing for it for suspected cases we're gonna have a shortage. Or they could give those drugs the 2013 clindamycin treatment and go from $47 a bottle to over $2,000 in less than a week.

It's an opportunity!!!!

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

I don’t know the first thing about this disease, and don’t pretend to. Your comments about the connection between the aftermath of World War I and the spread of the 1918 flu make sense. But your comments about people dying due to lack of modern medical practices apply to 1917, 1914, 1909, 1899, etc., and thus do not address the extraordinary measures taken by authorities during the 1918 flu pandemic. 

In many U.S. cities, people who contracted the flu or were suspected of having contracted the flu were quarantined. Placards were placed on the doors of infected persons. Neighbors watched neighbors. If anybody violated quarantine, law enforcement was called. In some cases people were forcibly removed from their houses and placed in hospitals. In others the police camped out at people’s houses. In many locales schools were closed down. Government offices shuttered. Not saying this happened exclusively in 1918, but the extent to which it happened in 1918 was unprecedented. 

The fact the CDC undertook considerable – and controversial – efforts to reconstruct the 1918 flu virus indicates that, in the eyes of experts, there was something special and unusual about this specific strain of the virus. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

The idea that the 1918 flu “wasn't necessarily more deadly than previous and subsequent flu pandemics” is rebutted by both the CDC and by the dramatic response of medical professionals in 1918 (Wikipedia notwithstanding).

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away