Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Actually there's damn good evidence this was harbored in one of the animals at the wet market then a Chinaman ate or handled that meat improperly and so it began.  Remember the wet markets were closed in the past over health concerns.  Those markets are for the 1% in China.  This is not some issue with the poors just trying to eat something other than dirt there. China having the wet markets and allowing them to reopen after past concerns may have been a direct cause, my friend.  I'm a lot of shit on COVID...but misguided or uneducated is not among those things. 

The Chinaman is the issue here, dude. 

I didn't challenge that it originated in a wet-market, so I'm not sure what you mean. I agree the wet-markets are a problem and have an increased possibility of allowing new viruses to jump to humans. Again, I really don't know that you and I disagree on anything here. I'm not saying you can't blame China for how it handled everything. Hell, I'm saying you should. I'm just saying calling China the sole cause is misguided. Other countries have similar markets and practices that can allow new viruses to jump to humans. Our country isn't perfect in this regard either. A lot of entities contributed to this getting as bad as it appears to be, not just China. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, F250 said:

The wise thing to do is play along until our house is in order not start shit when we are in the midst of a crisis. Deal with the crisis and then when the dust settles build an alliance to deal with the Chinese. The entire world knows how this started, it isn't a secret.

No need for the U.S. to mouth off right now like a fucking dipshit teenager. We need to be Michael Corleone not Fredo.

We need to deal with China, Russia, and KSA accordingly.  Once things settle down, we’ll swing the katana and take them out at the knees.  We’re going to cripple them 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I didn't challenge that it originated in a wet-market, so I'm not sure what you mean. I agree the wet-markets are a problem and have an increased possibility of allowing new viruses to jump to humans. Again, I really don't know that you and I disagree on anything here. I'm not saying you can't blame China for how it handled everything. Hell, I'm saying you should. I'm just saying calling China the sole cause is misguided. Other countries have similar markets and practices that can allow new viruses to jump to humans. Our country isn't perfect in this regard either. A lot of entities contributed to this getting as bad as it appears to be, not just China. 

But they are, so your point is retarded. Just because other people have the potential to commit murder, you dont throw them in jail. You throw the actual murderer in jail. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

The wise thing to do is play along until our house is in order not start shit when we are in the midst of a crisis. Deal with the crisis and then when the dust settles build an alliance to deal with the Chinese. The entire world knows how this started, it isn't a secret.

No need for the U.S. to mouth off right now like a fucking dipshit teenager. We need to be Michael Corleone not Fredo.

Wasn't Sonny the hot head?

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

We could just as easily have been in a similar position due to some redneck eating an armadillo or something. 

Redneck in the rural Southwest handling stuff w deer mouse urine on it, imo.

Remember Hantavirus ? deadly shit.  That virus just lacked other features that prevented it from being the pandemic that this novel coronavirus is.

Nature will always be generating new variations of bugs and the virulence and infectivity will ebb and flow with chance and evolution.  But we definitely need to curtail things we can control, like wet markets, that are known accelerants to the number of "trials" new bug combinations get.  There's a difference in chance outcomes over time when you roll the dice 10,000 times compared to 10 in the same time period.

Edited by triplehorn

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So you dont want a place for patients to go to help take a load off of hospitals? odd

Good lord man... This company has a spectacular track record of spreading infections.  Have they discovered much less solved the transmission and sanitation problems on their ships...  in the last (checks calendar) 1 days?!   Many of these ships just returned to dump off their remaining passengers (without testing BTW) as early as yesterday.

This is a bailout for the cruiseline...  it's insanity.   

If medical professionals think turning luxury high-density cruise liners into plague ships then I guess I'm on board.   But I can't imagine there aren't better safer places to handle overflow.

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Actually there's damn good evidence this was harbored in one of the animals at the wet market then a Chinaman ate or handled that meat improperly and so it began.  Remember the wet markets were closed in the past over health concerns.  Those markets are for the 1% in China.  This is not some issue with the poors just trying to eat something other than dirt there. China having the wet markets and allowing them to reopen after past concerns may have been a direct cause, my friend.  I'm a lot of shit on COVID...but misguided or uneducated is not among those things. 

The Chinaman is the issue here, dude. 

Don’t bother arguing with this dude. I learned already that he just likes to argue and will conveniently forget his own argument during the process.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You folks realize that both China deserves blame, and our response has been abysmal can both be true, right?

But not sure why focusing on that and our response is that important right now.

Yes, China fucked up and deserved accountability.

No, it does not excuse our leaders' poor response.

Calling it "Chinese" is a transparent attempt to avoid responsibility for our own shortcomings. 

This is obvious to anyone including the most ardent cloak roomer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Sure, so China may not deserve all the blame but they deserve a good chunk of it.  That's neither here nor there, any punishment is down the line.  Right now we need to figure out how the hell to contain this mess.  Either way, nothing against you, we are probably thinking along the same lines but I'm being less politically correct. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes, this particular virus originated in their wet markets. Other viruses have originated in other areas, including the US. I'm not saying it is racist to assign some culpability to China for the spread of the virus, particularly as to their initial response to the outbreak. I'm saying that China didn't cause the virus. Nature did (unless and until any evidence shows otherwise). It was pure misfortune that this particular virus ended up being as serious as it appears to be, and that other viruses originating in locations like North America haven't been as serious. We could just as easily have been in a similar position due to some redneck eating an armadillo or something. 

My point: you can assign culpability for the response to the virus. But saying that any one individual or country "caused the whole thing" is over-the-top and untrue. Nature made the virus. Human action allowed it to jump to our species. Government inaction allowed it to spread. A whole host of entities contributed to current situation, not one singular country. It is misguided to think otherwise. 

Live animals, multiple species, stacked in cages pissing and shitting on each other sharing disease between species.....then being slaughtered and sold in a farmers market like area....

That is the cause as it was previously when they shut them down.  They have been back open for a decade after pressure from their elite.  Stop with your nonsense.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Good lord man... This company has a spectacular track record of spreading infections.  Have they discovered much less solved the transmission and sanitation problems on their ships...  in the last (checks calendar) 1 days?!   Many of these ships just returned to dump off their remaining passengers (without testing BTW) as early as yesterday.

If medical professionals think turning luxury high-density cruise liners into plague ships then I guess I'm on board.   But I can't imagine there aren't better safer places to handle overflow.

You act like the circus running the cruise ship would be in charge at this point.

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Live animals, multiple species, stacked in cages pissing and shitting on each other sharing disease between species.....then being slaughtered and sold in a farmers market like area....

Stop it man, you're giving the hipsters ideas

"It's like...  the realest version of food"

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yes, China fucked up and deserved accountability.

No, it does not excuse our leaders' poor response.

Calling it "Chinese" is a transparent attempt to avoid responsibility for our own shortcomings. 

This is obvious to anyone including the most ardent cloak roomer.

• Zika virus (a forest)
  • Guinea worm (a country)
  • Japanese encephalitis (a country)
  • West Nile virus (a river)
  • German measles (a country)
  • Spanish flu (a country)
  • Ebola (a river)
  • Marburg virus (a German city)
  • Lassa fever (a Nigerian town)
  • Wuhan Virus
Edited by ChiTownDoc
This is how the scientific community has always done it. I guess you can call it racist but we need to change a lot of shit, if so. I'm surprised the rest of China isn't calling it Wuhan virus and saying fuck those people.
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Every American corporation should be taxed until the point they are incintivized to move manufacturing back to North America. 

I have no idea how to do it, short of complete war with the Cartels and Crime orgs and writing Trillions of dollars in checks to improve power grids, build factories and educate the masses, but the fact that we can't get all our manufacturing done between US, Canada, Mexico, Central America, Taiwan, Austrailia, Malaysia, etc is ridiculous

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Hospitals have terrible track records for spreading infection and most likely coronavirus patients would be on the ship so spreading would be moot. I think the idea is probably for New York City. I dont think it is a terrible idea. Im sure there is already decent medical equipment in place on a ship like that. So expanding its capabilities could help. 

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Hospitals have terrible track records for spreading infection and most likely coronavirus patients would be on the ship so spreading would be moot. I think the idea is probably for New York City. I dont think it is a terrible idea. Im sure there is already decent medical equipment in place on a ship like that. So expanding its capabilities could help. 

I also think it’s a good prepayment for the bailout everyone knows we’re going to wind up giving these fucking ships.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

You act like the circus running the cruise ship would be in charge at this point.

Or that we have currently empty municipal buildings that could be more easily sanitized and used.   Yes schools are out for a month and at least down here they are simple concrete and terrazzo construction.  Bubba could pressure wash the whole thing with the disinfectant of your choosing.  Easy access for ambulances, already physical security, food prep...

They are owned and empty. Room after room after room.  But sure let's rent a cruise-ship!

Full disclosure I'm all for the medically best solution in this crisis. 

https://twitter.com/coachvjbedford/status/1240679322832142336

His account is private, so Vance Bedford said:

University of Georgia had their football staff in the office and not knowing that one of the staffers had Coronavirus, He was a young guy now he has pneumonia and he’s on a ventilator , And he’s not doing well, just heard this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Loco said:

Apparently it’s college dorms

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

1.  The ships will be thoroughly cleaned first

2.  The behavior of persons in a emergency makeshift hospital is going to be completely different than that of ignorant cruisers and workers that in the early days didn't have much insight and perspective on CV and thus many were not taking the necessary precautions.

3.  You worried that CV patients might pick up CV on a ship?  (OK, to be fair, we still don't know about the risk of reinfection and worry about increased risk for med staff.  Though I do wonder if staff that have recovered from mild cases of CV might be used in the various CV only units that will be set up.)

This is like a war, you do the best you can in crisis, it will be impossible for everything to be perfect.  We can't keep thinking like vulture lawyers.  

Younger Adults Comprise Big Portion of Coronavirus Hospitalizations in U.S.

...The report, issued Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that — as in other countries — the oldest patients had the greatest likelihood of dying and of being hospitalized. But of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54. And nearly half of the 121 patients who were admitted to intensive care units were adults under 65, the C.D.C. reported...

...In the C.D.C. report, 20 percent of the hospitalized patients and 12 percent of the intensive care patients were between the ages of 20 and 44, basically spanning the millennial generation....

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Okay dude. Go read some articles and get back to me. Some of yall are taking stupid pills today. 

i am in the industry. i know what hospitals, large and small, rural and urban, teaching and community, for profit and not for profit are doing to limit infections.

this isn't the 60s when hospitals were just washing things off with water between uses.

are some facilities *terrible* with spreading diseases? yes. 

are all of them across the board? nope.

are most of them? nope. 

• Like 2

Just now, NoName said:

i am in the industry. i know what hospitals, large and small, rural and urban, teaching and community, for profit and not for profit are doing to limit infections.

this isn't the 60s when hospitals were just washing things off with water between uses.

are some facilities *terrible* with spreading diseases? yes. 

are all of them across the board? nope.

are most of them? nope. 

I too am in the industry and the last place I would want to be if I was immunocompromised would be in a hospital. Just because they arent festering shitholes doesnt mean that they are good. You are conflating the two. Staph infections and many other types of infections are passed around hospitals like hotcakes. Come on now, you know better than this.  

• Fuck You 4

5 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

1.  The ships will be thoroughly cleaned first

2.  The behavior of persons in a emergency makeshift hospital is going to be completely different than that of ignorant cruisers and workers that in the early days didn't have much insight and perspective on CV and thus many were not taking the necessary precautions.

3.  You worried that CV patients might pick up CV on a ship?  (OK, to be fair, we still don't know about the risk of reinfection and worry about increased risk for med staff.  Though I do wonder if staff that have recovered from mild cases of CV might be used in the various CV only units that will be set up.)

This is like a war, you do the best you can in crisis, it will be impossible for everything to be perfect.  We can't keep thinking like vulture lawyers.  

1. I'd hope so.  I'd also hope it would not be the company that cleans.  They have a really bad track record.
  2. Sure
  3. Nope I'm worried about the medical personnel in tight confined spaces with poor ventilation and porous surfaces everywhere.

Like I said if the experts are for it great.  If this is a half assed two for one bailout/handout that might cost people their lives...  yeah pass

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

On that note...  The party is still on!

ayt4IFZh?format=jpg&name=small

Sen. Rick Scott pleads for people to get off Florida beaches as spring breakers party on 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-beaches-coronavirus-20200319-45upiema4vdftanmkreuph7kk4-story.html

Too bad Rick Scott doesn't have any power to you know like close the beaches and send a police presence to make sure those fuckers go home already so they can spread all the diseases they just got (including Corona Virus) to the rest of us.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I too am in the industry and the last place I would want to be if I was immunocompromised would be in a hospital. Just because they arent festering shitholes doesnt mean that they are good. You are conflating the two. Staph infections and many other types of infections are passed around hospitals like hotcakes. Come on now, you know better than this.  

saying that hospitals do a shitty job of not spreading infections is a bad take.

some do a terrible job, yes.

some are pretty fucking good.

making widely sweeping comments about hospitals in general spreading infections is a bad take.

Just now, NoName said:

saying that hospitals do a shitty job of not spreading infections is a bad take.

some do a terrible job, yes.

some are pretty fucking good.

making widely sweeping comments about hospitals in general spreading infections is a bad take.

This was in regard to the guy who said cruises were at high risk of becoming an infection cesspool, all I did was say that isnt terribly different than a hospital. Both have their infection risk. You are missing the argument I think and arguing a point I likely agree with. 

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

This was in regard to the guy who said cruises were at high risk of becoming an infection cesspool, all I did was say that isnt terribly different than a hospital. Both have their infection risk. You are missing the argument I think and arguing a point I likely agree with. 

fair enough, thanks for clarifying!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So hospitals struggle to maintain sanitary conditions...  therefore we should give it a shot on a cruise ship designed for comfort not healthcare ??   Repeat after me...Cruise-ship carpet!  Or are we on the hook for a whole retro-refit when we are done?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away