Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Even if he didn’t call it a hoax do you agree he’s downplaying it’s potential, which seems very dangerous at this point?

Well since I am not in the panic crowd (but I do have many friends who are) I actually agree with downplaying it. Panic causes more problems. This isnt a super deadly disease. We all need to relax a little bit. Be cautious, be sensible,  be aware, but assuming the sky is falling is the wrong call here. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
typo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s perfectly logical to expect this to kill twice as many people as the spanish flu. Medicine, technology, hygiene, and public awareness has regressed so much in the past 100 years.

Come on man!  I'm sure you're a smart guy.

50 Million out of 1.5 Billion

vs.

100 Million out of 7.5 Billion

All your talk of regression and shit is a straw man, and you know it.

I also know you've been in this discussion long enough to know that much of our advancement in healthcare over the last century will mean jackshit if there are hundreds of millions in need of intensive care.

This planet does not have the ability to take care of everyone who will need it if this continues spreading like wildfire.

• Like 1

Trump has repeatedly called issues that reflect negatively on him as “a hoax”. Implying that those issues were fabricated to damage him.

To use the hoax terminology with the coronavirus is a dog whistle to downplay the virus and make it about how it reflects on him.

It’s a statement to signal his supporters to not take it seriously.

It’s dangerous and irresponsible to use the word “hoax” in reference to the virus no matter the nuance.

More on the Oregon patient -

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Same AP article that clarifies CDC funding thing.

"Some public health experts say a bigger concern than White House budgets is the steady erosion of a CDC grant program for state and local public health emergency preparedness — the front lines in detecting and battling new disease. But that decline was set in motion by a congressional budget measure that predates Trump."

Right, so back to your post.

I'd like to hear what you mean by this.  I think you can expand on the statement and inform without throwing in editorial comments.  I keep hearing about CDC funding cuts, but according to AP Fact Check, the administration's proposed funding cuts were "overruled by Congress, where there’s strong bipartisan support for agencies such as the CDC and NIH. Instead, financing has increased."  So, how exactly was the CDC hamstrung from the beginning?

CDC funding has been cut, just not their primary budget. This funding cut affects local detection of new diseases, and foreign help with epidemics.  Both have a direct impact on our current situation. 

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I read it a couple times. Try rereading the sentence, except with logic and common sense applied, and get down to the actual message

“This one hoax failed, now this is their new hoax”. 

That’s not what he’s saying. Look I can’t stand Trump but what he’s saying is that the Democratic leaders are now portraying his handling of CV as their next thing to go after him about. He is not calling CV a hoax.  

agree with BamaChick that hoax is a loaded word. 

Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Well since I am not in the panic crowd (but I do have many friends who are) I actually agree with downplaying it. Panic causes more problems. This isnt a super deadly disease. We all need to relax a little bit. Be cautious, be sensible,  be aware, but dont assuming the sky is falling is the wrong call here. 

Say a hurricane has Texas lined up in its sights.   Say Governor Abbott goes out and claims that it will only affect a small number of people, and that preparations are finished (equivalent to a virus being contained).  Meanwhile, the National Hurricane Center is saying it could affect many people, and you need to prepare wisely, and you need to have food, water, plans, etc. etc, prepared,   

Are you going to claim the National Hurricane Center is a part of the panic crowd?

oh whoops, just forgot, just like the virus is tearing up South Korea, parts of Italy, and Iran, this hurricane just pegged Cuba and South Florida harder than NowThis.   So it’s got a history of wrecking things.  

It’s called providing guidance, not trying to downplay it or pretend it’s not a threat.   At the very least, people end up with a few weeks worth of food and supplies that they will eventually use in the course of their normal lives  At the worst, we can have people cut down on public trips, exposure to others, etc.   

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

That’s not what he’s saying. Look I can’t stand Trump but what he’s saying is that the Democratic leaders are now portraying his handling of CV as their next thing to go after him about. He is not calling CV a hoax.  

Forget the hoax thing for a moment.  He’s claiming it’s just 15 Americans.  There’s over 40 Americans who have it, who were on the cruise ship, and are now here in the states.  There’s hundreds under mandatory quarantine in California and Texas, and surely a few of them have it. We’ve now had multiple cases pop up today that were not travel-related.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Right, so back to your post.

CDC funding has been cut, just not their primary budget. This funding cut affects local detection of new diseases, and foreign help with epidemics.  Both have a direct impact on our current situation. 

Correct.  I'm not disputing that.  I was pointing out that those cuts were spawned years ago, under the previous administration.  This line of conversation began with my reply to someone I believed to be suggesting otherwise.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Say a hurricane has Texas lined up in its sights.   Say Governor Abbott goes out and claims that it will only affect a small number of people, and that preparations are finished (equivalent to a virus being contained).  Meanwhile, the National Hurricane Center is saying it could affect many people, and you need to prepare wisely, and you need to have food, water, plans, etc. etc, prepared,   

Are you going to claim the National Hurricane Center is a part of the panic crowd?

oh whoops, just forgot, just like the virus is tearing up South Korea, parts of Italy, and Iran, this hurricane just pegged Cuba and South Florida harder than NowThis.   So it’s got a history of wrecking things.  

It’s called providing guidance, not trying to downplay it or pretend it’s not a threat.   At the very least, people end up with a few weeks worth of food and supplies that they will eventually use in the course of their normal lives  At the worst, we can have people cut down on public trips, exposure to others, etc.   

Hell, maybe I will end up being wrong, but this thing reads to me like a Tropical Storm or Cat 1 hurricane. Just isnt going to send our country into the dark ages. When I read this site, I get the feeling most people here think this thing is about to change life as we know it for the foreseeable future. 

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Hell, maybe I will end up being wrong, but this thing reads to me like a Tropical Storm or Cat 1 hurricane. Just isnt going to send our country into the dark ages. When I read this site, I get the feeling most people here think this thing is about to change life as we know it for the foreseeable future. 

It’s not going to send us into the dark ages.  But it could wreak havoc on our medical system.    But, you should probably ask folks in Italy, South Korea, and Iran what they think of it.  

SALT LAKE CITY — A patient who tested positive for coronavirus will be treated at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray at the request of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The announcement was made Friday evening and Intermountain Healthcare officials said in a news release the patient will be housed in a “special unit that’s separate from the hospital and designed for high-level isolation.”

Hospital officials assured that the patient, who was diagnosed with COVID-19 outside of Utah, does not pose a public health threat.

Officials are expected to provide more information about the situation at an 8 p.m. news conference that will be broadcast live on Intermountain Healthcare’s Facebook page.

Odd they are going through the trouble of shipping a patient to Utah - wonder where they are from.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

It’s not going to send us into the dark ages.  But it could wreak havoc on our medical system.    But, you should probably ask folks in Italy, South Korea, and Iran what they think of it.  

I have family members who are doctors, they work at major hospitals on each coast. I asked them about this yesterday and they both started parroting the flu is a way bigger problem lines and started saying "I" was the one overreacting, which Im really not at all. So I guess if the medical professionals arent worried, Im not hitting the panic button yet.    

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I have family members who are doctors, they work at major hospitals on each coast. I asked them about this yesterday and they both started parroting the flu is a way bigger problem lines and started saying "I" was the one overreacting, which Im really not at all. So I guess if the medical professionals arent worried, Im not hitting the panic button yet.   

Did these family members who are doctors disclose to you what they know about this virus which the average public do not?

Have they done research?  I'm just curious if what they told you is an "expert" opinion, or their personal opinion.

Edited by Somnio

Just now, Somnio said:

Did these family members who are doctors disclose to you what they knoe about this virus which the average public do not?

Have they done research?  I'm just curious if what they told you is an "expert" opinion, or their personal opinion.

Seemed like a personal opinion. I felt like I knew about as much as they did. I know they said the hospitals werent worried about it yet.I guess that is what they base their opinions on.  

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Weird. It might be fun to guess their specialty.

48 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Same AP article that clarifies CDC funding thing.

"Some public health experts say a bigger concern than White House budgets is the steady erosion of a CDC grant program for state and local public health emergency preparedness — the front lines in detecting and battling new disease. But that decline was set in motion by a congressional budget measure that predates Trump."

Would that be when the Rs had both chambers?

Edit Nah. Even then it was ok.

It was because of Obama of course.

The cuts started in 2018, as the White House focused on eliminating funding to Obama-era disease security programs. In March of that year, Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer, whose job it was to lead the U.S. response in the event of a pandemic, abruptly left the administration and his global health security team was disbanded.

https://fortune.com/2020/02/26/coronavirus-covid-19-cdc-budget-cuts-us-trump/amp/

Edited by cactusflinthead

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

clarify “tearing up”

Iran is pretty clear - shit, government leaders are infecting each other at meetings and on live TV.  South Korea cannot contain it, and it’s hitting a lot of areas - we are not far from them hitting a thousand new cases a day.  Italian hospitals are having to shift patients all over the place because they can’t cope with it, and it’s so widespread that random tourists from other countries are getting infected and taking it home. 

Italy is the scenario that concerns me - it wouldn’t take much to overwhelm hospitals in small-to-mid-sized Texas cities (they sure as hell don’t have many resources/facilities to deal with isolation), causing patients to be taken to Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston, which reduces the number of beds in those cities.  

19 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

If they are saying the flu is a bigger problem, I have to call bullshit.  I’ve talked to several parents from my kid’s school who work at local hospitals, who are in everything from surgery to administration, and none of them has thrown out the flu line.  Their concerns have been length of hospital stays, lack of equipment, lack of open beds, people walking into the ER with it and exposing others, people who might have it, but are afraid to come in because they can’t afford the costs, people who don’t have paid leave/decent amounts of sick time, who stick it out at work, and the list goes on.  I’ve also talked to in-laws, mostly retired, although one is a paramedic in Houston, and another is an RN at a small somewhat-rural hospital.   They’ve got the same concerns.  The paramedic relative is fairly worried, because his elderly father lives with him, and he gets exposed to enough as it is.  

17 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So the person had it at least 9 days ago.  Was just tested today.  Works at a school. Jesus. That feels like close to an ideal situation for spreading. 

That's a 15 min drive from my PDX neighborhood.

welp.  time to stock the hut.  

5262f44c294e8.image.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If they are saying the flu is a bigger problem, I have to call bullshit.  I’ve talked to several parents from my kid’s school who work at local hospitals, who are in everything from surgery to administration, and none of them has thrown out the flu line.  Their concerns have been length of hospital stays, lack of equipment, lack of open beds, people walking into the ER with it and exposing others, people who might have it, but are afraid to come in because they can’t afford the costs, people who don’t have paid leave/decent amounts of sick time, who stick it out at work, and the list goes on.  I’ve also talked to in-laws, mostly retired, although one is a paramedic in Houston, and another is an RN at a small somewhat-rural hospital.   They’ve got the same concerns.  The paramedic relative is fairly worried, because his elderly father lives with him, and he gets exposed to enough as it is.  

Well I am not lying. So you calling bullshit seems kind of silly to me. 

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Reports are that the woman in California that was the first case of unknown origin is not expected to survive. That’s about to scare the fuck out of people here. 

Only if she’s young and has no existing conditions that could contribute to the death.   Who am I kidding, a bunch of people in Cali and Oregon are going to be hitting twitter at some point to complain that they came into contact with the patients.  

And one of those douchebags is going to bitch that the whole time they are at SXSW, they’ll be wondering whether they are infected or not.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Well I am not lying. So you calling bullshit seems kind of silly to me. 

Nobody spreads the flu for a week or two without symptoms, nor do 10-20% take up hospital beds for a couple of weeks, all the while requiring their medical caregivers to be fully suited up head to toe in PPE.  

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Forget the hoax thing for a moment.  He’s claiming it’s just 15 Americans.  There’s over 40 Americans who have it, who were on the cruise ship, and are now here in the states.  There’s hundreds under mandatory quarantine in California and Texas, and surely a few of them have it. We’ve now had multiple cases pop up today that were not travel-related.  

Don't disagree with that at all. Challenge for anyone reporting on the numbers is we are in total "Who the fuck knows" stage in terms of # of infected but without a doubt the last person offering up number that have not been 100% provided by CDC should be Trump.

I definitely had very strange upper respiratory symptoms earlier this week and thought for sure my body was fighting something.  I had some obvious congestion and runny nose, but also had odd left ear sensitivity that radiated up the left side of my head and caused a painful scalp if I pressed down on my hair.  It lasted less than 2 days.  But it did dawn on me I was also just gnawing on some jerky my brother brought me from a Love's truck stop in H-town, so maybe I just pulled a mandible.

2 hours ago, TriStone said:

I'd like to hear what you mean by this.  I think you can expand on the statement and inform without throwing in editorial comments.  I keep hearing about CDC funding cuts, but according to AP Fact Check, the administration's proposed funding cuts were "overruled by Congress, where there’s strong bipartisan support for agencies such as the CDC and NIH. Instead, financing has increased."  So, how exactly was the CDC hamstrung from the beginning?

Apologies, I went off to make supper etc and you all went multiple pages before I caught up. W/O getting super CR about it, the CDC has suffered from the ebb and flow of Administrations (not just the current one) situational attendance/attention that make maintenance and observation difficult. It isn't always about the money, it is also about making sure that one has enough people and people in locations around the globe who can work together and apolitically to monitor and track disease. When reports began coming out of China (around the end of December?) the CDC began implementing their IMS on January 7 and then activated their emergency operations center on January 21. Wuhan did not begin a quarantine until the 23rd.

Having to work with a government (China) that was not being explicit with respect to what was occurring on the ground in Wuhan means that the CDC needed the ability to work with other Departments and didn't really have a point person (essentially what the newly created Task Force is now doing) and IMO that created delays and miscommunications (the cruise ship transfers notwithstanding).

Sorry if this got too political, overall I believe the CDC does a decent enough job. They did quite well during the measles epidemic last year.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
extra word
  • Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away