Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

6 billion deaths. That’s my prediction. Maybe 7. 

lulz. too somnio. I'm not able to work from home, and if nyc hits italy levels of cases then yeah, thats gonna leave a mark for me.

as for the economy, do they keep the indexes open and the rest of the city shuts down? do they close the mta? I realize that is a "big if" regarding the number of cases but who knows what'll happen. A "closed" nyc not only affects me personally but everyone else on this board will feel it in the economy.

41 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Siap. First hand account from someone with cv from the cruise ship. 

https://m.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/article/I-have-the-coronavirus-So-far-it-isn-t-that-bad-15093664.php

Pretty wild that this thing is so mild there are hardly any symptoms, or you go to the ICU. That pretty much makes it impossible to prevent the spread

W/respect to the economy and folks heading to work asymptomatic or heading to work knowingly sick (for whatever reason), if there are clusters of outbreak perhaps it will depend upon how long it takes for the virus to burn itself through a community. A lot of Americans dine out, whether a full meal or a cup of joe. I know little about how that industry works other than having the impression that the margins are thin between profit and loss. I could see the small places having a difficult time staying afloat. Starbucks? Will probably survive.

5 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Not necessarily. Foreign carriers often opt for youth, looks and personality for long haul international. I see them all the time in customs. Quantas 380 crew all look like 30 year old models.

Well shit you are right. Korean air. Now ttiwwp. 

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Furk 

Have we seen any numbers as to how many they are testing daily (and how much capacity has ramped up).  Numbers are big but curious how much of it is a result of spread and how much of it is an increase in testing capacity.   Really wish we would get status about how many tests run to see percentage positive, etc. on a daily basis.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We aren’t gonna to escape this one. No natural immunity from prior exposure, no vax. Moving forward we will probably refer to flu season as flu and corona season. 

I would not be surprised to find that people exposed to one of the other coronavirus' in the last year will have a lower infection and mortality rate compared to the general public.

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I would not be surprised to find that people exposed to one of the other coronavirus' in the last year will have a lower infection and mortality rate compared to the general public.

So if you have previously survived SARS or MERS you got a good chance with this one? That doesn’t really make me feel any better? Or will a common cold do the trick. 

Edited by Anastasis

8 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

The summer is like a siren with it's promises of river floats, watermelon, and cold beer. Then you marry the siren and they never fucking leave and you don't float the river, eat watermelon, or drink the beer anymore 90 days into it.

you-chose-poorly-gif-5.gif

31 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

W/respect to the economy and folks heading to work asymptomatic or heading to work knowingly sick (for whatever reason), if there are clusters of outbreak perhaps it will depend upon how long it takes for the virus to burn itself through a community. A lot of Americans dine out, whether a full meal or a cup of joe. I know little about how that industry works other than having the impression that the margins are thin between profit and loss. I could see the small places having a difficult time staying afloat. Starbucks? Will probably survive.

This has actually been on my mind grabbing food out lately

34 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Margins in the small/family restaurant business are razor thin.  Even if you have the experience, acumen, and purchasing power to run your business like a corporate operation, you’re looking at a maximum of 10-12% Net, with lots of overhead and sometimes crippling variable costs.  Most run in the 7-10% net.   That’s why theft and grift have to be dealt with harshly, and systems have to be installed and followed.  

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If there were a way to reduce the risk of the body having a “cytokine storm” response to infection, that would go a long way towards reducing the severity of the worst cases.

i don’t know what the determinants are, but conceivably if you’ve had colds this season, maybe the immune capacity for a cytokine storm is somewhat neutralized.

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So if you have previously survived SARS or MERS you got a good chance with this one? That doesn’t really make me feel any better? Or will a common cold do the trick. 

Pretty much an unknown. Most of the viruses use a different pathway to enter the cell. However, coronaviruses share many proteins. And, it is unknown which portions of which viral proteins confer immunity against COVID-19. But having antibodies against a wide number of coronavirus proteins would most likely help.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Pretty much an unknown. Most of the viruses use a different pathway to enter the cell. However, coronaviruses share many proteins. And, it is unknown which portions of which viral proteins confer immunity against COVID-19. But having antibodies against a wide number of coronavirus proteins would most likely help.

What about the entry mechanisms?  I think ray mentioned up stream that a receptor involved in the angiotensin system was involved with cell entry. How about an angiotensin receptor blocker like losartan as an intervention to slow spread. Is something like that theoretically viable or does the virus just work around that. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Siap. First hand account from someone with cv from the cruise ship. 

https://m.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/article/I-have-the-coronavirus-So-far-it-isn-t-that-bad-15093664.php

This is going to be the experience for the vast majority of people who catch it, probably without the quarantine.  It’s the societal gap due to the 20% that have a more serious reaction that will be the issue.

Edited by Goredho

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

If there were a way to reduce the risk of the body having a “cytokine storm” response to infection, that would go a long way towards reducing the severity of the worst cases.

i don’t know what the determinants are, but conceivably if you’ve had colds this season, maybe the immune capacity for a cytokine storm is somewhat neutralized.

I don't quite understand how some of this works, but I sometimes had to have a Neupogen shot when I was undergoing treatment. I wonder if someone having one of those would make the virus response worse instead of better. Sort of a double whammy of boosting the immune system (to help fight cancer) along with now having to fight this virus. Immune compromised individuals are always at risk for infection anyway, but seems like this might be worse in that regard?

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What about the entry mechanisms?  I think ray mentioned up stream that a receptor involved in the angiotensin system was involved with cell entry. How about an angiotensin receptor blocker like losartan as an intervention to slow spread. Is something like that theoretically viable or does the virus just work around that. 

Possibly helpful. They should be trying them now. As you hinted, it would not work to stop the virus, but if it limit the damage caused by angiotensin II mediated inflammation and maybe slow the spread that may be enough to decrease the mortality rate.

Edited by Bevo

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't quite understand how some of this works, but I sometimes had to have a Neupogen shot when I was undergoing treatment. I wonder if someone having one of those would make the virus response worse instead of better. Sort of a double whammy of boosting the immune system (to help fight cancer) along with now having to fight this virus. Immune compromised individuals are always at risk for infection anyway, but seems like this might be worse in that regard?

Coronavirus is pretty limited in its attack on our system to the respiratory system.  It’s the immune inflammatory response in the lungs that can really compound it into not being able to pass air and exchange oxygen to the blood.  That damage does put people at risk for secondary bacterial pneumonia and worse, sepsis.

the immune system is complex and I’m not familiar with any associations between medical mechanisms to enhance immune function and increased risk for cytokine storm or simply a revved up response to coronavirus.  I’m guessing it’s quite different for cancer approaches but could be wrong.

I guess the Wall Street hit has spread the panic to the business world.  We have overseas operations (India and the Philippines).  Pretty much all our major clients contacted us on Thursday or Friday asking for emergency meetings to review our BCP, Communicable Disease Policy, assess our proactive measures, etc.  Detailed reporting required.   Lots of people working on this over the weekend.  Shit went from 0 to 60 in a day.

11 hours ago, Updawg said:

, people who might have it, but are afraid to come in because they can’t afford the costs, people who don’t have paid leave/decent amounts of sick time, who stick it out at work, and the list goes on

This can make a big impact. Who wants a $1-3k bill for the potential regular flu. Npr had a good talk about this today

Flu fatality rate is .05% 

If it was 1-2% there'd be a hell of a lot more fear of the flu.

15 minutes ago, Xian said:

Doesnt ray Most likely already have it?  Both he and his two girl friends are coughing 

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ray has probably already had it.

Ray will be like the gay Canadian flight attendant that amplified HIV.  He’ll be responsible for the decimation of the entire Filipino midget population.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Flu fatality rate is .05% 

If it was 1-2% there'd be a hell of a lot more fear of the flu.

There should be a fuckload more fear of the flu in this country. There is a serious chance of dying if you get it.

I've largely stayed away, but my feeling is that this thing was already in the US weeks ago. I would not be shocked if many of us, especially in large cities with large Chinese populations (NYC, Houston, SF, and LA) have already been exposed as there was a shit ton of travel to and from China before this thing broke and before flights stopped. I know the flu has been wreaking havoc this season in NY, and this might explain why.

That being said, it will be interesting to see the seriousness of the cases outside of China. China has horrific air pollution, so I wonder if that has caused the number of serious cases there to be inflated compared to Western Europe and the Americas.

I think the CDC is right to have people prepare, but ultimately this is a wait and see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

If you are interested, here is a non-technical article on how the virus enters the cell and potential candidates for drug and vaccine development: https://blogs.plos.org/dnascience/2020/02/20/covid-19-vaccine-will-close-in-on-the-spikes/

And an MD wrote a note after the article:

Paul R Gargiulo MD

Sometimes the best response is “I do not know”. Often times the PHD or MD after the name lends more weight to the words that follow than may otherwise be warranted.. “I do not know” liberates one from some of the burden the title may bestow.
ACE2 receptor binding site is an interesting connection, remember that this is NOT the same as ace-inhibitors please be very careful, it would be terrible for a connection to be made without the appropriate data.

” In contrast to ACE, ACE2 activity seems to be unaffected by classical ACE inhibitors given distinct substrate-binding pockets [3]. Interestingly, increased cardiovascular expression of ACE2 and plasma Ang(1-7) levels have been demonstrated by treatment of angiotensin receptor blockers (ARB) as well as mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists (MRA) in animals and humans [10-12]. Several other roles of ACE2 have been described in the literature including the modulation of the integrin signaling pathway [13, 14] and interaction with the apelin-APJ pathway [15]. In the absence of ACE2, increased plasma and myocardial Ang-II levels have been attributed to reduced metabolism of plasma Ang-II [16, 17]. ”

The only known pharmaceutical information I have come across concerning ACEII is associated with the Angiotensin II receptor blocker so called ARBS.

“Interestingly, increased cardiovascular expression of ACE2 and plasma Ang(1-7) levels have been demonstrated by treatment of angiotensin receptor blockers (ARB) as well as mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists (MRA) in animals and humans [10-12].”

We need more detailed case reports on patients.. We need to know the medical history and medication history of the patients.. I believe this information would inform and prepare our population.. We also need data that describes quantitative gene level expression of ACE2 receptors in the context of chronic ARB treatment and chronic hypertensives vs nonsensitive.

The impact of drug therapy on directly modulating ACE2 activity and expression has not been well described. In the setting of acute decompensated HF in patients with advanced HF, circulating s ACE2 activity was found to increase following intensive medical therapy aiming to optimize hemodynamic derangements and relief congestion [1]

1.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3944399/

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

Well shit you are right. Korean air. Now ttiwwp. 
Found a story with more info on her...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-02-28/intense-search-in-california-for-others-exposed-to-coronavirus-patient

The individual is an older adult, a woman with chronic health conditions who was hospitalized for a respiratory illness, officials said at a news conference Friday.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, G650 said:

There should be a fuckload more fear of the flu in this country. There is a serious chance of dying if you get it.

Yeah I don’t know why people think it’s not a big deal. It could easily turn into pneumonia, which could then very easily turn into sepsis. Once you get sepsis there’s less than a 50% chance you’ll make it.

• Like 1

I went to the shooting range yesterday and when I came home my neighbor was loading a bunch of bottled water into his garage. There was this surreal moment when we locked eyes while he was carrying his water and I was carrying my rifle. He realized he just bought my family a shit ton of water. 

I actually saw a dude wearing a mask yesterday. In Kroger. In Frisco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I went to the shooting range yesterday and when I came home my neighbor was loading a bunch of bottled water into his garage. There was this surreal moment when we locked eyes while he was carrying his water and I was carrying my rifle. He realized he just bought my family a shit ton of water. 

Holy shit, you made me spit out my coffee.  You bastard!!  I bet you could've seen the whites of his eyes from a block away.

I'm in no way condoning the presumed action here...but find it hilarious that people are "thinking" it in their heads.  Gonna drive them crazy stewing over all of this.  Until it happens, and they crack..only to find someone well armed on the other end of their plan.

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away