Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

So, now the death is the 50 YO woman? Holy shit. Most the articles referred to a man who died.

From the NYTimes

Kay Taylor, a spokeswoman for EvergreenHealth, said the person who died was a patient at the organization’s hospital in Kirkland, Washington. At a news conference on Saturday, President Trump identified her as “a wonderful woman, a medically high risk patient in her late 50s.”

Who knows what is true anymore.

Just now, achooloco said:

my apologies, that was a dumb post, he is uber qualified. So now reports that the japanese woman didn't get it twice are online, didn't know that before the press conference. so we just don't know now?  but he unequivocally said you can't. so thats it, final word on it?

Not the final word. Long-term immunity against coronaviruses has not happened and after some period of years your immunity will wane. There is still a possibility that the disease could be harbored in bodily tissues hidden from the immune system, although that would be a first for coronaviruses. So, that possibility is low. The most likely scenario is that tests are not 100% accurate and multiple tests over multiple days may be necessary.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

There was still a ton of guaifenesin (mucinex) available, surprisingly.  That and tylenol for fever are probably the two main go to otc meds for this thing. 

Store brand Mucinex is my go to when I'm sick. The doctor is pretty keen for me to keep that in the regimen because I tend to get secondary lung infections. Never been a smoker but was a long distance runner going way back. Pretty much had to stop high mileage after the last pneumonia bout because she thought it (the mileage) was affecting my immune system.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Agree. I'm not so sure I didn't have it. Fucked up respiratory shit for a week that went away for a few days, then came back, all happening shortly after employees returned from China. Feeling much better, now, after hitting those herbal antivirals posted upthread, but...

Same exact experience two weeks ago after a trip to Florida that included a day at Legoland and a day at Universal Studios.

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Same exact experience two weeks ago after a trip to Florida that included a day at Legoland and a day at Universal Studios.

See, this is why we dont need panic, soon everyone with a cough or chest tightness will be self reporting to hospitals thinking they have Coronavirus and overwhelm the system lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Agree. I'm not so sure I didn't have it. Fucked up respiratory shit for a week that went away for a few days, then came back, all happening shortly after employees returned from China. Feeling much better, now, after hitting those herbal antivirals posted upthread, but...

This actually happened to me too, but no Chinese contact, and it was a month ago. Plus antibiotics killed it.

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

was just at a large grocery store in OR and walgreens and all hand sanitizer and most otc cold meds just vanished overnight.  There was still a ton of guaifenesin (mucinex) available, surprisingly.  That and tylenol for fever are probably the two main go to otc meds for this thing.  For a makeshift hand sanitizer, probably good to get a mini travel spray bottle filled with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

Delsym DM ftw.

• Like 1

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

See, this is why we dont need panic, soon everyone with a cough or chest tightness will be self reporting to hospitals thinking they have Coronavirus and overwhelm the system lol

This is the truth.  I have no faith that the government won't botch this entire thing but they should already be planning the press conference to be held when we have lots of confirmed cases (after we finally start testing) with the message of "hey, you very well may get it, but you will probably be fine (they did say this part today at least).  If you are young and healthy just self quarantine yourself at home, pop some advil, get some rest and ride it out just like every other virus.  But DO NOT go to the hospital if you just feel like you have a bad cold."  Hopefully CDC could come up with a very specific list of criteria that will differentiate more severe cases (symptoms with high fever for X days, trouble breathing, etc.) because you are right every damn person with a 99 degree fever is going to want to be admitted once this is confirmed to be everywhere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Unfortunately there will be just as many people that get it and don’t get checked out for whatever reason and continue to spread it. 

22 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I want to know about anyone who has been in the middle of an outbreak and didn't catch it. If such people exist we need to find them and develop a vaccine from their blood.

Well, I haven't had the flu in 35 years, and this February was the first time I've have antibiotics since the 80s. As an interesting aside, when they said I was getting amoxicillin, I was all pumped because I thought it was the bubble gum flavored syrup stuff. I was quite dismayed when I learned they give adults horse pills of that shit. My wife was much amused when I told her about that.

But anyway, you can't have my blood, and its probably full of all sorts of bad shit after a life of degeneracy at any rate.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bama Chick said:

Now there are reports that the patient who died is a man in his 50s.

I thought the Washington patients were a 19 YO man and a 50-something woman?

This is a shitcircus.

Yeah, there is no chance that she could be wrong:

7sbyQpRY_400x400.jpg

That is not good.
“At a nursing facility in Kirkland, Wash, approximately 27 of the 108 residents and 25 of the 180 staff have some symptoms, health officials said during a teleconference with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

Was the person who died at that facility? Seems like it.

The Philippines still has no confirmed cases of local transmission and only 33 under observation in hospitals. Unlike the US they test pneumonia cases as well as anyone with known contacts. So unless it has been brought in recently the Philippines is ok. If there are viral pneumonia deaths here it will be all over facebook as they love posting glass casket, or open cardboard box pictures of their loved ones, and it is impossible to stop the rumors everytime a hospital has someone under quarantine. 

The partial ban of South Korean travelers has not been implemented, but 11 from Daegu were quarantined in Boracay and sent home. In practice it is difficult to know for certain  whether a Korean lives in or traveled through Daegu if the flight does not originate from there. That said, the number of Korean tourists, or East Asian tourists in general is way down. But, the virus will come here eventually.

My girlfriends and I are safe for now.

What the hell kinda nursing facility has a staff of 180?

Lots of them?

Those places are 365/24/7.

MDs, RNs, LPNs, pharmacists, psychiatrists/psychologists, counselors, caretakers who aren’t medically trained (bathing, feeding, dressing etc.), activity leaders, food service, food preparation, janitors, maids, drivers, maintenance workers, office staff (managers, bookkeepers, marketing, clerical).

Those places employ a ton of folks and some positions have to be covered round the clock.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:
Give me the right odds, and I'm going with one of the pilots or the frontline healthcare workers. 

I've been exposed to a lot of shit in the sealed aluminum petri dish the last 25 years, but I am getting up in years.

Might be time to take one of those stay at home 50 hour lines and self quarantine if they’re offering it in your fleet/seat. 

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

What are we supposed to do?  SIt in our fucking houses for a month?  Seriously.

Guess you don’t have any elderly relatives you give a shit about, but some of us do.   And you maybe one of the pissy stock guys, but you ain’t seen nothing yet.     We are finding these cases  because we are finally starting to test.   Texas probably has a decent amount right now.  

You know those soccer moms who are constantly giving sanitizer to their kids at parks and games and stuff?   They are going to lose their minds when it hits here, and they’ll be screaming bloody murder on Nextdoor, a Facebook, etc.   

Hell, if they find some in Austin, I won’t be surprised if SXSW is changed somehow.  If not canceled.  I was thinking they’d have to find some cases near downtown, etc., but now everybody is hyper-aware.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away