Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Great article that really highlights the main issue which is our healthcare system being overwhelmed so that someone who might otherwise get the care needed to survive would end up dying.

No way to stop this now.  This has to be the perfect plan by goverments/tptb to rid themselves of the burden of older people on the government tit.  I firmly point my finger at the Chi Coms.  They are going to get reamed after all this makes it's way through the population.  Now is the time to stay calm, continue with our responsibilities, know how to reduce the risks of getting infected, have the correct supplies in case we or family get infected, and educate older individuals who are family/friends.  I wouldn't count on the government or hospitals for help.

9 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Great article that really highlights the main issue which is our healthcare system being overwhelmed so that someone who might otherwise get the care needed to survive would end up dying.

Yep.  Best article I've read thus far that sums up what we may be facing.

1 minute ago, 2300 Nueces said:

No way to stop this now.  This has to be the perfect plan by goverments/tptb to rid themselves of the burden of older people on the government tit.  I firmly point my finger at the Chi Coms.  They are going to get reamed after all this makes it's way through the population.  Now is the time to stay calm, continue with our responsibilities, know how to reduce the risks of getting infected, have the correct supplies in case we or family get infected, and educate older individuals who are family/friends.  I wouldn't count on the government or hospitals for help.

^ this

It should be perfectly clear that it’s been in the US for some time.

odds are you have been exposed already.

wash your hands, try not to rub your face.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

^ this

It should be perfectly clear that it’s been in the US for some time.

odds are you have been exposed already.

wash your hands, try not to rub your face.

There was an article linked on reddit that was in Italian but was quoted with a doctor in Milan stating that he expects the virus had been circulating in Italy before January. 

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Read what you want and take what you want. Just passing along an email.

"Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP"”

Let's test the supply chain:

Disposable Face Masks Box of 50 $36.99 eta March 16th-31st

Zinc Lozenges box of 50 $9.99 eta March 4th-5th

Equate Hand Sanitizer 12 oz Pack of 2 $49.99 eta March 6th-13th (for the garage door and kitchen sink)

Purell Advanced Hand Sanitizer 2 fl oz Sanitizer Portable Travel Sized (Case of 24) $78.99 eta March 6th-23rd (for upcoming trips assuming we are flying in April)

MedPride Nitrile Exam Gloves Box/100 $15.99 eta March 3rd (i think the gas pump is quite possibly the biggest risk and will definitely be using these)

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Read what you want and take what you want. Just passing along an email.

"Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP"”

for people just scanning the thread who went tl/dr on this post:

This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

for people just scanning the thread who went tl/dr on this post:

This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

Yep, been practicing the art of non booger picking.  Get some saline solution or better yet, wash hands often as well as face with hot water and blow nose at this time to clear any unwanted boogers.  Stay hydrated.  Think Tom Herman nervously drinking water while fielding softball questions.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Took a little walk down memory lane this morning to read about the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.  Based on how people are reacting to corona and comparing the numbers, I can't help but wonder how we didn't all completely lose our minds and go running for the hills while that was going on.  59million caught it.  265,000 were hospitalized for it.  12,000 deaths from it.  There were over 1,000 dead in the US before the government even issued an emergency declaration.

2009 flu pandemic in the United States

I can't help but wonder how that would have all gone down if social media was as omnipresent then as it is now.  (And yes, I know Twitter etc. existed back then, but it wasn't nearly as widespread.)

because this is a snake virus and the markets have cratered.  in 2009 we had just had the 50-to-1 global meltdown bailout reset mulligan.  there was no market to crash.  when the markets do some kind of stabilization even for 36ish hours or we get a dead cat bounce the panic will slow down.  maybe.

Yep, been practicing the art of non booger picking.  Get some saline solution or better yet, wash hands often as well as face with hot water and blow nose at this time to clear any unwanted boogers.  Stay hydrated.  Think Tom Herman nervously drinking water while fielding softball questions.

Not picking boogers is impossible.. especially all of the crusties from the cold dry air up here. I’ve probably had Coronavirus 3 times now
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

59million caught it.  265,000 were hospitalized for it.  12,000 deaths from it

I think because if there end up being 59 million Covid-19 cases in the US, the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths would dwarf those 2009 H1N1 numbers unless the data I've seen is incorrect.

I won't post the numbers, cuz people don't like numbers.

29 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

because this is a snake virus and the markets have cratered.  in 2009 we had just had the 50-to-1 global meltdown bailout reset mulligan.  there was no market to crash.  when the markets do some kind of stabilization even for 36ish hours or we get a dead cat bounce the panic will slow down.  maybe.

A snake virus?

12 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

https://www.myfoxzone.com/article/news/health/sxsw-2020-coronavirus-petition/504-b36f4c63-9ab8-42fd-8151-667bc294f6a6

Thousands sign petition calling on SXSW to cancel 2020 event as coronavirus spreads

The petition asked the festival to think about the “people who could die because of this.”

interestingly enough when they quizzed thousands of people that signed the petition what coronavirus was none could say, but they did say that SXSW needed to be canceled

How bout if your sick or care not to get sick you practice some self fucking accountability and individual responsibility and just not go.  Fuck all you mf'ers with no skin in the game try and tell a private enterprise how to fucking run their business.  Got damn snowflakes.  

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s been claimed this virus originated in snakes. Not sure what that means in regards to severity or anything . But it’s a theory at this point. 

Well, the latest Netflix show Restaurants on the Edge have an episode in China where snake penis is the all the rage, so...

Equate Hand Sanitizer 12 oz Pack of 2 $49.99

ok, so that's insanely expensive.  definitely google DIY recipes for hand sanitizer.  You can mix rubbing alcohol with generic aloe gel in a 60% or stronger alcohol concentration.  Store/dispense it using any travel size lotion/shampoo container you can get anywhere.  There's other recipes if you want something that causes less skin dryness.

quick glimpse - Target has a 16oz pure aloe product for $5.

Edited by triplehorn

59 minutes ago, Somnio said:

59million caught it.  265,000 were hospitalized for it.  12,000 deaths from it

I think because if there end up being 59 million Covid-19 cases in the US, the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths would dwarf those 2009 H1N1 numbers unless the data I've seen is incorrect.

I won't post the numbers, cuz people don't like numbers.

That is .0002% fatality rate and COVID-19 is likely 2% or higher.  Which would be about 10,000 time higher fatality rate. I believe the last epidemic with a 2% death rate was the Spanish flu.

55 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I think people don't like your numbers because they're unattributed.

Ok.  We all know RO, mortality, etc. can change depending on location, weather, and many other factors.

However,  my numbers are based off of the data available.  When people say 10-20% serious cases, or 2% mortality rate nobody cries foul, but when you put an actual number of people that end up in the hospital or dead they get upset.

Regardless, the point remains, even extremely conservative numbers based off of the data available would lead to drastically higher hospitalizations and deaths than the 2009 H1N1 data you posted.

That is why people are making a bigger deal out of this pandemic.

Edited by Somnio

My wife bought quite a few 2L bottles of hand sanitizer from Sam’s about a year ago. I’ve secretly cursed her many, many times when these monstrosities have taken up space I needed for other items. I’m a big enough man to admit to y’all I was wrong, but smart enough not to admit it to her. 

She knows you’re toting a rifle and not afraid to use it
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

That is .0002% fatality rate and COVID-19 is likely 2% or higher.  Which would be about 10,000 time higher fatality rate. I believe the last epidemic with a 2% death rate was the Spanish flu.

What you and Somnio fail to understand is that not everyone that gets infected with this gets tested for it. So some people get infected and hardly get sick, never see a doctor, never get tested, etc. That would lower the actual mortality/hospitalization rate. I know it’s less fun to think that way, because doomsday is more exciting, but it helps to look at things with a grain of salt. I’d be shocked if this wasn’t being openly transmitted across the US for a month or longer at this point. Incubation of 2 weeks or shorter means we should already be seeing overwhelmed hospitals and people dead in the street according to you guys. The true hospitalization/mortality rate of this will likely never be known, same is true for Spanish flu. That could’ve been higher or lower than 2%.

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I read this morning that we’ve only tested 472 people in the US. People are going to really start freaking out when the reports go from 1 or 2 a day to hundreds a day. 

Only if there are a high rate of associated fatalities.

A significant number of diagnoses and recoveries would add some much needed perspective.

Next 8-10 days gonna be extremely interesting

Because we’re gonna start seeing testing numbers? Wouldn’t be shocked to see a lot of “flu” deaths in January and February are actually this. It has to be borderline impossible for places like LA, NYC, Chicago, Miami and the metroplex to not have a combined 5 cases of this virus made public but suburbia Seattle and UC Davis have 5?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Only if there are a high rate of associated fatalities.

A significant number of diagnoses and recoveries would add some much needed perspective.

True. For those of us that have followed it and understand it. Unfortunately most of our citizens are uninformed idiots. 

17 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I read this morning that we’ve only tested 472 people in the US. People are going to really start freaking out when the reports go from 1 or 2 a day to hundreds a day. 

Imagine when the celebrities start tweeting about it.

• Like 2

That updated worldwide aggregate above is up a bit at a 3.4% case fatality rate.  However I'm the camp that thinks this number comes down substantially due to sheer numbers of untested/undetected due to not needing to seek/not seeking medical care.  Is it possible there's already been >250,000 undetected cases worldwide since end of December?  Seems very likely, and arguably would be a good sign, yet still a case fatality rate many times more deadly than typical influenza.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

That updated worldwide aggregate above is up a bit at a 3.4% case fatality rate.  However I'm the camp that thinks this number comes down substantially due to sheer numbers of untested/undetected due to not needing to seek/not seeking medical care.  Is it possible there's already been >250,000 undetected cases worldwide since end of December?  Seems very likely, and arguably would be a good sign, yet still a case fatality rate many times more deadly than typical influenza.

The flip side of that argument is with how bad flu has been this year there maybe a lot of unattributed deaths already. 

I was at HEB and ran into an old friend. Standing in line all I had was water and TP. She looks at me and says geez are you preparing for a hurricane. I said. “ Ya something like that”. 

Majority of people are completely clueless or I read this thread way more than I need to. 

• Like 4

I was at HEB and ran into an old friend. Standing in line all I had was water and TP. She looks at me and says geez are you preparing for a hurricane. I said. “ Ya something like that”. 

Majority of people are completely clueless or I read this thread way more than I need to. 
Probably some of both. I haven't been full out bunker prepping, but I have been making sure we have more supplies on hand than normal just in case. No lines at stores yet and only thing I've noticed out of the ordinary is that all hand sanitizer seems to be gone. As previously mentioned, I think we'll know the panic has begun once this hits NextDoor and the stay at home Moms latch on.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away