Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why the fuck are people buying bottled water? What, the water treatment plant operators gonna die? I mean, let’s assume that everyone catches this virus, but only one out of five falls seriously ill. That still leaves four out of every five water treatment plant operators available. Maybe two out of those five are out of commission for a few days. Still. I don’t see how the water supply is gonna be interrupted.

So they don't touch water fountains and receiving cups from people in public is my guess. 

7 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why the fuck are people buying bottled water? What, the water treatment plant operators gonna die? I mean, let’s assume that everyone catches this virus, but only one out of five falls seriously ill. That still leaves four out of every five water treatment plant operators available. Maybe two out of those five are out of commission for a few days. Still. I don’t see how the water supply is gonna be interrupted.

Agree. There is no reason why water or electricity would stop. 

The main issue is food and medicine for any self quarantine. (Including pet supplies)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seger78 said:

Why are people stockpiling water? Is there worry that things get so bad that the water supply becomes compromised?

Because some people don't drink tap water for various reasons.  I'm sure anyone would if there was no choice, but if you'd rather not why not have 5 or 10 gallons on hand?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Somnio said:

Ok.  We all know RO, mortality, etc. can change depending on location, weather, and many other factors.

However,  my numbers are based off of the data available.  When people say 10-20% serious cases, or 2% mortality rate nobody cries foul, but when you put an actual number of people that end up in the hospital or dead they get upset.

Regardless, the point remains, even extremely conservative numbers based off of the data available would lead to drastically higher hospitalizations and deaths than the 2009 H1N1 data you posted.

That is why people are making a bigger deal out of this pandemic.

That’s not true. I’ve been crying foul on 2% CFR and 20% hospitalization all day yesterday. Even the WHO China report is still working off of their ridiculously low case totals. None of their data matches any other country we’ve seen (excluding Iran)

34 minutes ago, Seger78 said:

Why are people stockpiling water? Is there worry that things get so bad that the water supply becomes compromised?

Because these people don’t know what a disaster is or how to prepare for one. This area of the country has almost nothing in the way of natural disasters. It’s too far inland for hurricanes to reach with anything other than some prolonged rain, it’s too hilly for tornadoes, too wet for fires, there isn’t a fault line for hundreds of miles, the occasional flash flood affects some of the valleys but clears in hours or a day. The worst is the occasional blizzard. 

So any time there is a forecast of more than a half foot of snow there is a hysterical run on milk, bread, and water. Since that’s what they know, that’s what they go to for this. 

9 minutes ago, CoTex said:

If you had to weather a 30-90 day period of unrest, insecurity or pandemic, and had to do it in a tourist destination in the u.s., where would you go?

Key west? Jackson hole?

Asking for a friend.

A cabin in the mountains with satellite internet and a month of provisions.

1 minute ago, akhornfan said:

That’s not true. I’ve been crying foul on 2% CFR and 20% hospitalization all day yesterday. Even the WHO China report is still working off of their ridiculously low case totals. None of their data matches any other country we’ve seen (excluding Iran)

Cool.  Hopefully it isn't near as bad as what the data has suggested thus far.  I'm no different from you in regards to hoping this really does blow over, and  it's  back to life as usual in no time!

53 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Generally they say wait 24 hours after your fever is gone, but I have no idea if that applies to this virus.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I made a run to the local Walmart to stock up on non-perishables.  It was busy, but the checkout lady said no more than normal.  They had plenty of zinc lozenges, but not enough of of my preferred granola flavor.  

A question.  I know people exposed need to be quarantined 14 days, as it can take that long to show symptoms.  But how long is a person contagious after they have it?  Ie, I get sick tomorrow, and obviously self-quarantine.  I am mildly sick for 3 days, then feel pretty good.  For the regular flu, I'd probably go back to work.  In this case I'd need to stay home until I was no longer contagious.  How long is that?  How long is a person contagious after infection? 

I mean, the rule about being 24 hours fever-free is what I would assume, but again, I don't know if that applies to this particular illness.

A loved one is having brain surgery Thursday (here in Austin) and while I would normally not worry a ton about something like coronavirus at this point, this whole situation has me worried more than usual. I assume his immunity will be compromised for a while.

1 minute ago, austingirl said:

A loved one is having brain surgery Thursday (here in Austin) and while I would normally not worry a ton about something like coronavirus at this point, this whole situation has me worried more than usual. I assume his immunity will be compromised for a while.

Does your loved one have good lungs? Cos that seems to be the main thing. Your lungs are screwed up before coronavirus gets you, then kiss it goodbye.

20 minutes ago, CoTex said:

If you had to weather a 30-90 day period of unrest, insecurity or pandemic, and had to do it in a tourist destination in the u.s., where would you go?

Key west? Jackson hole?

Asking for a friend.

I’d say Jackson Hole If you can wait about 90 or so days. It is still cold right now and then it will be the mud season. Mid June is when it starts to get real nice. That’s when I’ll be there but you can’t have any of my toilet paper. 

@Somnio I agree. I just think that right now it’s pretty clear it isn’t 2% and 20% so there’s no point in stating those calculations over and over again. The entire point of the Medium article was based on 10% - 20% hospitalization, but doesn’t say ‘if it’s only xx% then we have capacity’. I believe both sides should be presented until there’s way more data or else it’s just sensationalism. 

Edited by akhornfan
typos

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If the US is charging $3,000 a pop, a whole lot of people are going to opt out.  Lovely.   I’m having a hard time believing that though, because it’s a campaign year, and seems like politicians would catch a lot of shit for that price.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the US is charging $3,000 a pop, a whole lot of people are going to opt out.  Lovely.   I’m having a hard time believing that though, because it’s a campaign year, and seems like politicians would catch a lot of shut for that price.   

The poors don't vote anyways, especially if they're all coronavirused up 🤣

2 reasons for us.. our annual spring flood sometimes turns our tap water to shit

And a case of 24 Aquafina bottles is like 3 dollars. Not a bad back up to have in case shit really hits the fan

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

2nd death in the Seattle area. Has anyone in the US recovered yet?

Most of those original 12 patients recovered and were released a long time ago. But given how new the tests are there’s been a lot of problems. Some people have had their symptoms clear up but they’re still testing positive, there’s been false-positive or false-negative tests, there’s a lot going wrong with the testing. Hard to tell/know what “recovered” really looks like.

13 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

@Somnio I agree. I just think that right now it’s pretty clear it isn’t 2% and 20% so there’s no point in stating those calculations over and over again. The entire point of the Medium article was based on 10% - 20% hospitalization, but doesn’t say ‘if it’s only xx% then we have capacity’. I believe both sides should be presented until there’s way more data or else it’s just sensationalism. 

Go look at the countries on the https://ncov2019.live list.  Serious and critical = hospital stay.  

Some are skewed either because government coverup shit (Iran and China), or because the cases are slanted towards a specific group (South Korea and their little cult).  

Others fall into the hospitalization rates that are being mentioned.   Italy, who seems to be the best example for us, is running an 11%+ hospitalization rate.   

23 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Does your loved one have good lungs? Cos that seems to be the main thing. Your lungs are screwed up before coronavirus gets you, then kiss it goodbye.

Yeah, he's 41. Been through some shit in the last few months but other than the (probably) benign brain tumor, he's healthy.

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Most of those original 12 patients recovered and were released a long time ago. But given how new the tests are there’s been a lot of problems. Some people have had their symptoms clear up but they’re still testing positive, there’s been false-positive or false-negative tests, there’s a lot going wrong with the testing. Hard to tell/know what “recovered” really looks like.

i don't normally advocate flu vaccination (i don't advocate much if anything), but in this event, it would (hopefully) clean up the false negs and positives.  reducing the amount of normal flu diagnoses would seem appropriate measures.

I see a lot of photos of the old folks from WA being moved to hospital care and hell of a lot of people wearing some basic masks and not much else in terms of PPE. The Wuhan coverage seemed terrifying precisely because of the head to toe gear health officials were wearing. The WA response looks terrifying because it looks likely a poorly thought through shitshow. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

I see a lot of photos of the old folks from WA being moved to hospital care and hell of a lot of people wearing some basic masks and not much else in terms of PPE. The Wuhan coverage seemed terrifying precisely because of the head to toe gear health officials were wearing. The WA response looks terrifying because it looks likely a poorly thought through shitshow. 

Same thing I noticed. This is gonna be a shit show 

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Go look at the countries on the https://ncov2019.live list.  Serious and critical = hospital stay.  

Some are skewed either because government coverup shit (Iran and China), or because the cases are slanted towards a specific group (South Korea and their little cult).  

Others fall into the hospitalization rates that are being mentioned.   Italy, who seems to be the best example for us, is running an 11%+ hospitalization rate.   

initially, i didn't click on this link because it looked suspect.  after reviewing charts and graphs, it appears to be good intel.  perhaps smarter minds then mine can weigh in. 

Edited by Hmmm

I mentioned previously making a DIY hand sanitizer using rubbing alcohol and aloe gel.  Found out second hand from a school teacher that now bottles of rubbing alcohol are gone from basically everywhere in my OR area code.  I’m kind of impressed.

5 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

initially, i didn't click on this link because it looked suspect.  after reviewing charts and graphs, it appears to be good intel.  perhaps smarter minds then mine can weigh in. 

The site is run by some of the redditors who are anal retentive about sourcing and all.  It’s the official site of a few of the subs.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away