Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Seriously, quick show of hands: who right now on here has a decent cold or just got over one?

(raises hand)

seems like most of my coworkers and a lotta friends (i work in the operating room setting) are sick with something

I was out a couple weeks ago with a bad cough and exhaustion, but no fever. That cough is still lingering. My wife was out a week before with the same thing and still battling a cough. My son a week before that with a sore throat and cough but completely got over it quickly. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Stocked up on Zicam at Walgreens yesterday. No run on items in the shitty part of town. 

Hate to say it....but that's kinda the secret.  Hit up a little mexican grocery, or a CVS in a shitty part of town, and they'll have most of what you're looking for.  HEB's in fancy parts of town will be cleaned out.

Just my $.02

I think the "I may have had Corona virus already!" crowd is delusional.  If you had this, everyone in your office/family/church/schools would have also gotten it.  Do you know someone who has been hospitalized with severe respiratory distress? (say 1/10 people, perhaps your parents) No?!   These folks have had cold/flu or allergies and are hoping the worst is past for them and their families.  It is a pleasant and reassuring thought, but it's almost assuredly NOT true.

My brother swore he got this over Thanksgiving last year.  I pointed out that would have been before the first known infection on the other side of the planet.  Oh and no one else in the family got sick either.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Just my $.02

I think the "I may have had Corona virus already!" crowd is delusional.  If you had this, everyone in your office/family/church/schools would have also gotten it.  Do you know someone who has been hospitalized with severe respiratory distress? (say 1/10 people, perhaps your parents) No?!   These folks have had cold/flu or allergies and are hoping the worst is past for them and their families.  It is a pleasant and reassuring thought, but it's almost assuredly NOT true.

My brother swore he got this over Thanksgiving last year.  I pointed out that would have been before the first known infection on the other side of the planet.  Oh and no one else in the family got sick either.

I think theres at least 10,000 people in the US with this thing right now.

26 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Someone traveled from Wuhan to Qom on business.  Then religion went religion.  

If coronavirus ended up killing Khamenei and the other leading mullahs, I would be ecstatic. Fuck Qom. Shithole of a city with even worse shit being produced from its seminaries. The incompetence and lack of care for ordinary Iranians in their botched handling of this epidemic is infurating.

22 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Seriously, quick show of hands: who right now on here has a decent cold or just got over one?

(raises hand)

seems like most of my coworkers and a lotta friends (i work in the operating room setting) are sick with something

My son and I both had one a couple of weeks ago.  He was running a fever and had a phlegmy cough.  I took him to the doctor and he tested positive for Flu A.  I assumed that I also had it since I felt like crap for a couple of days, but I never had a fever and only had a dry cough.   

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Also, centrum has 11 mg of zinc. 

Is it getting zinc in your system or having it in your throat like with a lozenge in order to kill the virus via direct contact.  I thought it was the latter so I'm not sure the centrum is going to help much.

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So an IV drip that includes zinc would work as well or better than the lozenges? Or would it not have the same impact whatsoever? I went into the local CVS this morning and it was pandemonium over the lozenges. Two guys got into a fistfight over the last box of 12 packs. After one of the guys was knocked unconscious, the other guy took off for the door with the box of lozenge packs in hand. The off-duty cop manning the bottled water section chased him outside and shot him twice in the back as he ran for his car. This enabled me to abscond with the few remaining canned items and an industrial jug of hand sanitizer while people were distracted. Still, no zinc so I'm feeling a little incomplete in finishing my stock up.

WorldStar!

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

I mean, South Korea is testing everyone with a pulse for free and they are only at 4335 confirmed cases

Do a ton of folks probably have it? Obviously, yes. 

10k? that is quite a stretch. 

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/03/02/coronavirus-testing-emergency-room-doctor-cdc-department-health-squawk-box.html

NYC ER doctor: I have to ‘plead to test people’ for coronavirus

41 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so i've had my seasonal cold that i get every february/march, which is usually due to oak and molds. i'm starting to wonder if it is this thing, as i was at ces in january. then my mind wanders onto how many people were in las vegas for that show, and how they flew home, connecting flights, airport contact, etc. and i wonder if this coronavirus thing is just a cold gone bad for people with underlying issues. 

we don't think much when we've got a bit of a sniffle and a slight cough and no fever. 

i tend to think that the severity of the cases we are seeing are kind of self-selecting, if that makes sense. we know they are infected because they are REALLY fucking sick, and so those are the ones we are testing.

i dunno.

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's my suspicion as well.  That's why we don't know the "death rate," because we don't have a good number for the actual number of cases.  Between people who are effectively asymptomatic or just have a mild cold, those are a lot of folks who are likely NOT to be in the pool of total known cases.

This is my thinking as well.  I have had my normal winter allergy/cold issues since around January 29.  I have had no fever, but have had significant congestion (runny nose, which funnily enough is not a symptom of this) and a cough.  I have been doing my normal thing, washing my hands like nuts, carrying Clorox to go packs, drinking lots of water, eating lots of citrus, and using nose sprays, lozenges, and sometimes taking NyQuil to sleep well.  

How is one supposed to know the difference?

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is my thinking as well.  I have had my normal winter allergy/cold issues since around January 29.  I have had no fever, but have had significant congestion (runny nose, which funnily enough is not a symptom of this) and a cough.  I have been doing my normal thing, washing my hands like nuts, carrying Clorox to go packs, drinking lots of water, eating lots of citrus, and using nose sprays, lozenges, and sometimes taking NyQuil to sleep well.  

How is one supposed to know the difference?

With one you feel bad, the other you die?  /s

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Surly is the trend setter my man.

you know up until recently I really enjoyed the cheap direct flights from MIA to MXP daily....  now...  fuck it still might me worth it.

One of two "provisional" cases in FL is guy that flew in from Milan.  So I'm guessing we're off to the races.  Just watch how FL attempts to bury outbreak news.  They've already done all they can to prevent testing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Loco said:

you know up until recently I really enjoyed the cheap direct flights from MIA to MXP daily....  now...  fuck it still might me worth it.

One of two "provisional" cases in FL is guy that flew in from Milan.  So I'm guessing we're off to the races.  Just watch how FL attempts to bury outbreak news.  They've already done all they can to prevent testing.

Dude, yall have to hold out for another two weeks till I I breeze through town

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I listened to this interview and the NYC doctor was adamant that shit is ramping up here in a bad way. He was pissed at the CDC and they are to blame when this gets bad due to sending out botched test kits and putting us behind by at least three weeks with testing. 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Checking in.  Started late yesterday and I felt pretty "rubbery" by bedtime.  Chills, headache, dry cough.  Woke up this morning feeling real good, but I've been sagging since.

Several thousand farmer from all over the US attended the Commodity Classic trade show in downtown San Antonio last week.  Many had at least one flight connection coming and going.

(raises hand)

Still getting over Flu A from two weeks ago (got the cough still).  I get a flu shot every year and haven't had the flu in like 20 years but that shit a few weeks ago knocked my ass down.  I travel via plane around the country every week so god knows where I picked it up.

1 minute ago, Loco said:

Just my $.02

unless you might think that the severity of the illness is artificially inflated by the reports of those testing positive being the most likely to be even tested at all.

• Like 2

Also, we had a pretty brutal cold run through our office late last year.  Maybe 10-15% of folks here got it.  It was a pretty normal cold, but then turned into a nasty lingering cough for WEEKS.  Like 5-7 weeks.  For a couple of folks, it turned into bronchitis.

But it was a regular cold, with that one unique feature.  Some years, the cold makes you sneeze a lot.  Other years, it stays in your head.  This year, it has an outside shot of killing you.  So, that's swell.

I do wonder if there's any immune system protection based on a recent coronavirus (non Covid19) infection.  If there is, I and a few other people are looking good.  If not, well, furk.  Roll them dice.

• Like 2

Just now, hayden_horn said:

unless you might think that the severity of the illness is artificially inflated by the reports of those testing positive being the most likely to be even tested at all.

My actual serious take is this thing is obviously in every state and has been for awhile. Because so many people have very mild symptoms or are completely asymptomatic, it passes undetected.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Still getting over Flu A from two weeks ago (got the cough still).  I get a flu shot every year and haven't had the flu in like 20 years but that shit a few weeks ago knocked my ass down.  I travel via plane around the country every week so god knows where I picked it up.

Both my wife and daughter got it.  Neither got the flu shot.  The boy and I both did get the shot, and did not get flu A.  

Interesting article from the NYT.  Comparison of Covd-19 to seasonal flu.  Couple notes:

- corona appears to be more deadly, but that depends on the actual number of cases, not just diagnosed cases.  May not be a lot more dealy.

- corona appears to be more contagious, but infection RO should fall now that it is better managed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR0rXGhGfC8pXsWA289uUDSi5m_9POrQYN9HKBtr22IA8a-PXZ0G3eXszJM

Edited by Sbbruin

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Stocked up on Zicam at Walgreens yesterday. No run on items in the shitty part of town. 

Just about to post this.  They can't even read or have the interwebs to know about these things.  If there ever was a time to use that word CTJ parrots so much, "Rube, " this would be it.  He should have never seen Silence of the Lambs, fucker hasn't stop using that platitudinous expression.    

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Interesting article from the NYT.  Comparison of Covd-19 to seasonal flu.  Couple notes:

- corona appears to be more deadly, but that depends on the actual number of cases, not just diagnosed cases.  May not be a lot more dealy.

- corona appears to be more contagious, but infection RO should fall now that it is better managed.

That reflects my hypothesis as well.

This will likely turn out to have a higher rate of bad outcomes (death, hospitalization) than the flue, but not off-the-charts higher.

And heightened infection management will indeed slow its spread (everyone I know is a lot better about washing their hands these days, for example.  It's a small step, but it can knock a degree off the infection rate).

This will be bad, and there will be areas where it's REALLY bad, but as a national issue, it will end up being like a bad flu X4 or something like that.  Not good, but not planet-changing.

• Like 3

(raises hand)

Just getting over one myself and still have a little bit of a cough. I'm a frequent business traveler, so god knows where I picked it up. I've been in LAX twice and DIA and SNA once each the past few weeks. 

15 hours ago, Xian said:

Just got back from heb. Pure chaos. Close to hurricane in the gulf levels 

plus a lotta dirty plebs looking all sickly. 

Pro tip:  Go after 10pm, or even better after 11.  Few shoppers and more restocking.  Lysol totally out last night, but found a pallet in the aisle, and they still had the '$3 off if you buy $10+' coupons. 

#Winning

• Like 1

(raises hand)

My 4 yo son got sick early/mid Jan with fever and respiratory issues.  Took him to the doctor and tested for flu, but they said nope.  He got over it in about a week.  In that time my 7 yo got it, same high symptoms, then me and my wife.  Not to say we had it, but in general at home and at work we've had a lot of tested non flu illness this year starting in late November.  

5 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Just about to post this.  They can't even read or have the interwebs to know about these things.  If there ever was a time to use that word CTJ parrots so much, "Rube, " this would be it.  He should have never seen Silence of the Lambs, fucker hasn't stop using that platitudinous expression.    

That guy tucks?

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

So it's only bad in Italy, China, Iran?  Everyone thinks China will treat citizens like grist for the mill, but they trashed their GDP over a mild cold like illness?

Watch what this thing will do to that Nursing home in Seattle?    2 dead already...

Meanwhile in Italy... doesn't sound like what you are describing  (PS I hope you are correct)

MILAN -- The coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy has so overwhelmed the public health system that officials are taking extraordinary measures to care for the sick, seeking to bring doctors out of retirement and accelerate graduation dates for nursing students.

The region of Lombardy has been the epicenter of Italy’s outbreak, registering the first positive test of the northern cluster and now counting 984 of Italy’s 1,694 cases. Most alarmingly, 10% of Lombardy’s doctors and nurses are out of commission, because they tested positive for the virus and are in quarantine, said the region’s top health official, Giulio Gallera.

With officials saying they expect Italy’s numbers to continue rising for at least another week, until containment measures begin to take effect, the health care emergency in Lombardy has reached a crisis point.

Hospitals in hard-hit Lodi and Cremona were so overwhelmed at times last week, with more sick people arriving than could be accepted, that they closed their emergency rooms and new patients were taken elsewhere.

“Effectively some of the hospitals in Lombardy are under a stress that is much heavier than what this area can support and has trained for for years, to face this type of emergency,” Dr. Massimo Galli, head of infectious disease at Milan’s Sacco Hospital, told Sky TG24. “This epidemic is on a scale that is larger than anyone could have thought, imagined or prevented.”

Lombardy’s regional government has asked the central government to reactivate retired doctors and nurses and get them back on the payroll. In addition, nursing students who were due to take their final exams next month are now expected to graduate in the coming days so they can be immediately put to work, Gallera said.

“We'll take anyone: old, young. We need personnel, especially qualified doctors," Gallera told reporters.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/italys-health-system-limit-virus-struck-lombardy-69331977

Edited by Loco
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Ive stocked the pantry with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, guaifenesin, pseudoephedrine, zinc, magic berry juice, vodka and bourbon. 

Good work.  In a pinch, you could pull that pseudoephedrine to nuke the corona with a batch of bathtub meth in a writhing fight to the death.

25 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

I listened to this interview and the NYC doctor was adamant that shit is ramping up here in a bad way. He was pissed at the CDC and they are to blame when this gets bad due to sending out botched test kits and putting us behind by at least three weeks with testing. 

CDC has decided to stop posting numbers on how many they are testing, and instead just numbers of who is confirmed positive.  

That’s mighty suspicious. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

22 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Both my wife and daughter got it.  Neither got the flu shot.  The boy and I both did get the shot, and did not get flu A.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR0rXGhGfC8pXsWA289uUDSi5m_9POrQYN9HKBtr22IA8a-PXZ0G3eXszJM

I disagree with both of these points. Excluding the data from China, through the first month and a half, the disease seems to have a mortality rate of 0.3%. More recently, the mortality rate appeared to be 1% excluding the Chinese data. But, this included crappy data from Iran. The mortality numbers have probably increased a little but that is due mainly to so many undiagnosed cases around the world. Anyway, the mortality rate from the flu is 0.03%. So, it will be 10X the mortality rate of the flu. Plus the severity of the disease is worse as well and the recovery time is worse than the flu.

COVID-19 is absolutely more contagious than the flu. It is a novel virus so we have little innate immunity. Plus, it stays on the surface for up to 7 days which is much much longer than the flu.

Edited by Bevo

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away