Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Go look at the countries on the https://ncov2019.live list.  Serious and critical = hospital stay.  

Some are skewed either because government coverup shit (Iran and China), or because the cases are slanted towards a specific group (South Korea and their little cult).  

Others fall into the hospitalization rates that are being mentioned.   Italy, who seems to be the best example for us, is running an 11%+ hospitalization rate.   

Why not use S Korea’s numbers. 1% hospitalization?  They’re the ones doing the most testing. The cult has nothing to do with number of cases and hospitalization 

Edited by akhornfan
  • Like 1

There’s a distinct pattern developing:

omg someone dies

test them and declare your first case

oops they infected others 

increase case count

few other critical die

increase death count start widespread testing

death and hospitalization don’t keep up with case count 

restart focus on next omg first case

A couple of unrelated questions...

1. Does anyone have a good link for info on the benefits of zinc lozenges? Is it actually helpful or just bullshit? Is it recommended to take them prophylactically or only if you develop symptoms?

2. Any new reporting from Wuhan or other quarantined cities? They’ve been locked down over a month now. I can’t imagine what life must be like in that situation. Maybe we’ll all find ourselves in that position pretty soon, but at least most of the world had some warning and time to prepare.

Just now, Hmmm said:

maybe you're looking for transparency.  I applaud South Korea in their efforts so far

I just think that’s probably the only country so far that has anywhere near a grasp on their case count. So CFR and hospitalization guesses should be built closer to their numbers. 

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Go look at the countries on the https://ncov2019.live list.  Serious and critical = hospital stay. 

No CR, but I noticed NK isn’t on that list of countries with at least one confirmed case.  Who knows if what they claimed was even real.  It’s times like these that their abject self isolation from the global community really comes into focus.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Why the fuck are people buying bottled water? What, the water treatment plant operators gonna die? I mean, let’s assume that everyone catches this virus, but only one out of five falls seriously ill. That still leaves four out of every five water treatment plant operators available. Maybe two out of those five are out of commission for a few days. Still. I don’t see how the water supply is gonna be interrupted.

well lets check what our crack teams at the government have to say

https://www.ready.gov/pandemic

image.png.317373bd625693e7935ae4bd1e7134b6.png

I doubt that particular website gets a lot of traffic, but I bet those same precautions show up a lot of places. Personally,  when I headed to Costco last week to get some vittles, I noticed that 40 16 oz bottles cost approx $2.50. So for the price of a beer at a bar, I can get two weeks worth of water, why not? I'm 99% sure I'll end up dropping those off in my office kitchen when I need to get rid of them, but for $5 I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over my foolishness. 

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

No CR, but I noticed NK isn’t on that list of countries with at least one confirmed case.  Who knows if what they claimed was even real.  It’s times like these that their abject self isolation from the global community really comes into focus.

That site only list cases that were confirmed.   Getting numbers out of North Korea is like asking Herman who will still be on his staff a year from now.  

12 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

I just think that’s probably the only country so far that has anywhere near a grasp on their case count. So CFR and hospitalization guesses should be built closer to their numbers. 

South Korea doesn’t have a grasp on it - they still have something like 150,000 cult members to test, and some are hiding   

Oh, and this just came out tonight - they are looking at murder charges against the cult leadership.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-murder/murder-probe-sought-for-south-korea-sect-at-center-of-coronavirus-outbreak-idUSKBN20P07Q?

The government of Seoul asked for a murder investigation into leaders of a Christian sect at the center of the country’s deadly coronavirus outbreak, saying the church was liable for its refusal to cooperate with efforts to stop the disease.

A large majority of the more than 4,000 confirmed cases of the South Korean outbreak, the largest outside China and still growing, have been linked to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, a secretive movement that reveres founder Lee Man-hee. 

Park Won-soon, mayor of the capital Seoul, said if Lee and other leaders of the church had cooperated, effective preventive measures could have saved those who later died of the virus.

Edited by atomheartbevo

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I doubt that particular website gets a lot of traffic, but I bet those same precautions show up a lot of places. Personally,  when I headed to Costco last week to get some vittles, I noticed that 40 16 oz bottles cost approx $2.50. So for the price of a beer at a bar, I can get two weeks worth of water, why not? I'm 99% sure I'll end up dropping those off in my office kitchen when I need to get rid of them, but for $5 I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over my foolishness. 

oh i see, you're a survivaillist.

If shit gets that bad - no running water at all - we have a pretty decent spring in the green belt behind our house. I suspect it would fill a gallon container in a couple of minutes. We’ve got water.
And even if you lose pressure, or treatment isn’t up to snuff, you can always boil some.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Come back to this map in a week.  Will be interesting.  

spacer.png

It is already wrong. Aren't there cases in Florida and Utah? Anyway, pretty much the whole country will be red by next week. However, I don't think most of us need to worry about being exposed until late March/early April. The map will look red when looking by state but will look gray when looking by city for at least the next 3 weeks.

Edited by Bevo

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That site only list cases that were confirmed.   Getting numbers out of North Korea is like asking Herman who will still be on his staff a year from now.  

A couple weeks ago South Koreans watching the North reported they were do mass cremations in the open. But officially there are no cases.

Sort of like Thailand having 2700 cases of severe viral pneumonia but very few Covid 19 cases, without the burning bodies in the open.

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

South Korea doesn’t have a grasp on it - they still have something like 150,000 cult members to test, and some are hiding   

Oh, and this just came out tonight - they are looking at murder charges against the cult leadership.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-murder/murder-probe-sought-for-south-korea-sect-at-center-of-coronavirus-outbreak-idUSKBN20P07Q?

If you’re counting how many should be tested the US number is probably in the millions. 

I’m saying S Korea has, at least according to them, tested the most people. It’s doubtful they’re lying about deaths or hospitalization, so the CFR and hospitalization rates are somewhere at or below their figures. 

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It is already wrong. Aren't there cases in Florida and Utah? Anyway, pretty much the whole country will be red by next week. However, I don't think most of us need to worry about being exposed until late March/early April. The map will look red when looking by state but will look gray when looking by city for at least the next 3 weeks.

We are already at 85 or so.  Probably 100 in the morning.

10 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

If you’re counting how many should be tested the US number is probably in the millions. 
I’m saying S Korea has, at least according to them, tested the most people. It’s doubtful they’re lying about deaths or hospitalization, so the CFR and hospitalization rates are somewhere at or below their figures. 

Yeah, we need to be testing hundreds of thousands at the least.  

As for South Korea, I don’t know what the demographics breakdown of that cult is.   If it trends young, then hospitalization would be low.  

I don’t think it’s tinfoil and conspiracies. The common flu is expected to infect and kill a certain predictable number each year. You can make the predictions and extrapolations because there’s a ton of data. 
Where we sit now is just at a question of what data is relevant and how to make assumptions. I’ve been arguing that we have higher certainties about some numbers - China being garbage, S Korea at least identifying a lot of cases, Italy being behind the curve at testing and the rest pretty insignificant data points. 

Is there really anyone still believing this takes down 1M or even half that in 2020?  Would love to see a show of hands. 

8 hours ago, CoTex said:

If you had to weather a 30-90 day period of unrest, insecurity or pandemic, and had to do it in a tourist destination in the u.s., where would you go?

Key west? Jackson hole?

Asking for a friend.

I'm going to the outer Bahamas

Hoarding water seems silly but a possible coronavirus scenario are people wanting to leave their house as little as possible. And while we all have limitless and practically free water out of the taps, people think it tastes bad and it’s unhealthy. The water problem in Flint, MI has seared it into many people that ozarka is 1000x more trustworthy than the govt.

of course, just as anti-vaxxers are calling for a coronavirus vaccine, I imagine that during a full outbreak, anti-tap water folks will be guzzling it from an old garden hose.

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Surly Drs, beyond Tylenol and ibuprofen for the fevers, what sort of other OTC drugs would you recommend to help treat if exposed? Mucinex? Elderberry?

I’m not a doctor but this is a good read on whether or not to treat a fever. I’m sure some will argue but I’ve always followed this logic.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/should-you-treat-a-fever/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

A couple of unrelated questions...

1. Does anyone have a good link for info on the benefits of zinc lozenges? Is it actually helpful or just bullshit? Is it recommended to take them prophylactically or only if you develop symptoms?

2. Any new reporting from Wuhan or other quarantined cities? They’ve been locked down over a month now. I can’t imagine what life must be like in that situation. Maybe we’ll all find ourselves in that position pretty soon, but at least most of the world had some warning and time to prepare.

In regards to 1, someone linked a blog post or email from a virologist who has worked on and followed Coronavirus strains since the 1970s. He had a list of tips and zinc lozenges where on it, so not bullshit. He said it slows the spread of infection or some shit in the esophagus. He also said twice a day once symptoms start I believe. Post was a few pages back. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

In regards to 1, someone linked a blog post or email from a virologist who has worked on and followed Coronavirus strains since the 1970s. He had a list of tips and zinc lozenges where on it, so not bullshit. He said it slows the spread of infection or some shit in the esophagus. He also said twice a day once symptoms start I believe. Post was a few pages back. 

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

@wild_turkey

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There was a recent story on NPR about zinc lozenges and their ability to lessen the symptoms of the flu (really).

The problem is that only zinc works, and additives such as citrus/citric acid (?) reduce the effectiveness, and that most zinc lozenges sold in stores contain the citrus additive.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/02/10/803886479/taking-zinc-can-shorten-your-cold-thank-a-91-year-old-scientist-for-the-discover

Edited by Asithappens

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

There was a recent story on NPR about zinc lozenges and their ability to lessen the symptoms of the flu (really).

The problem is that only zinc works, and additives such as citrus/citric acid (?) reduce the effectiveness, and that most zinc lozenges sold in stores contain the citrus additive.

Imagine an Olympic-gold-medal-level athletic achievement that, if you don't get that gold medal, you're gonna die. That's pretty much what free soloing El Cap is like.

The citric acid binds with the zinc and makes it ineffective.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Come back to this map in a week.  Will be interesting.  

spacer.png

it's a screwy map because it includes the cases in quarantine at Lackland in SA as the Texas cases, right?

Edited by NoName

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away