Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

48 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What you and Somnio fail to understand is that not everyone that gets infected with this gets tested for it. So some people get infected and hardly get sick, never see a doctor, never get tested, etc. That would lower the actual mortality/hospitalization rate. I know it’s less fun to think that way, because doomsday is more exciting, but it helps to look at things with a grain of salt. I’d be shocked if this wasn’t being openly transmitted across the US for a month or longer at this point. Incubation of 2 weeks or shorter means we should already be seeing overwhelmed hospitals and people dead in the street according to you guys. The true hospitalization/mortality rate of this will likely never be known, same is true for Spanish flu. That could’ve been higher or lower than 2%.

That literally the conclusion from the Trevor Bedford Twitter feed linked above, looking at the lineage of cases reported in Washington. The most recent one is the same lineage as one tested in January 19th, meaning there's been 'cryptic transmission' (great band name, too) for 6 weeks. And these are the cases we know about. 

• Like 1

When there starts being news of local transmission and death in your community is when you’ll see most people start to get concerned and start preparing.  Ironically, the rush for goods will result in more infections than otherwise.  I’m glad I won’t be among them, even if most of what I bought winds up getting donated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

That is .0002% fatality rate and COVID-19 is likely 2% or higher.  Which would be about 10,000 time higher fatality rate. I believe the last epidemic with a 2% death rate was the Spanish flu.

a 10000x fatality rate would be 120,000,000 deaths.  1/3rd of the US population.

53 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What you and Somnio fail to understand is that not everyone that gets infected with this gets tested for it. So some people get infected and hardly get sick, never see a doctor, never get tested, etc. That would lower the actual mortality/hospitalization rate. I know it’s less fun to think that way, because doomsday is more exciting, but it helps to look at things with a grain of salt. I’d be shocked if this wasn’t being openly transmitted across the US for a month or longer at this point. Incubation of 2 weeks or shorter means we should already be seeing overwhelmed hospitals and people dead in the street according to you guys. The true hospitalization/mortality rate of this will likely never be known, same is true for Spanish flu. That could’ve been higher or lower than 2%.

I agree about undiagnosed patients not being counted and the real rates of death/infected may not be know and will be lower.   The problem remains.  The deaths are known (perhaps some have died and been attributed to other causes) and positive tests are also a known. That math still sucks.

The number of deaths / number of positive tests  still portends a crisis.

If you think the Chinese busted their asses to build hospitals and quarantined 100+ million for shits and giggles, you're crazy.  If you think that the Saudis canceled the Hajj on a whim you're crazy.  If you think the religious zealot government of Iran cancelled Friday prayers and services...

If you think this has been widely circulating in the US and we just didn't pay attention...  you get the point

9 minutes ago, Loco said:

I agree about undiagnosed patients not being counted and the real rates of death/infected may not be know and will be lower.   The problem remains.  The deaths are known (perhaps some have died and been attributed to other causes) and positive tests are also a known. That math still sucks.

If you think the Chinese busted their asses to build hospitals and quarantined 100+ million for shits and giggles, you're crazy.  If you think that the Saudis canceled the Hajj on a whim you're crazy.  If you think the religious zealot government of Iran cancelled Friday prayers and services...

If you think this has been widely circulating in the US and we just didn't pay attention...  you get the point

I don’t believe Saudi Arabia cancelled the Hajj yet. It’s not until late July. However they definitely banned foreigners from Mecca at this time and have said they will continue to monitor the situation.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

25 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

I was at HEB and ran into an old friend. Standing in line all I had was water and TP. She looks at me and says geez are you preparing for a hurricane. I said. “ Ya something like that”. 

Majority of people are completely clueless or I read this thread way more than I need to. 

99.9% of your fellow citizens are indeed completely clueless.

remember when harvey toasted rockport and that stormhunter dude streamed it live from the carwash?

and then the next day it stalled out in north of aransas and then backed out in to the gulf and started drifting north?

and then at midnight the next night the weather channel was saying gird your loins houston, it's about to happen again?

at midnight on the 26th/27th every freeway in houston was google green and wide open.

the msm and ptb are never going to proactively fix anything that doesn't line their accounts.

no msm or ptb figurehead will ever own something before it's broken, because then it's their fault.

and the men who hold high places, must be the ones to start.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t believe Saudi Arabia cancelled the Hajj yet. It’s not until late July. However they definitely banned foreigners from Mecca at this time and have said they will continue to monitor the situation.

Fair enough.  But it's still extraordinary that they have closed Mecca & Medina two of islams' the holiest sites.   

And the French closed the Louvre.

tenor.gif?itemid=13477340

• Like 1

Just now, Newdoc said:

I wouldn’t freak out about hand sanitizer except having some for when you’re out and about. You can always wash your hands with like soap and water.

Soap actually works.

We’ll wash our hands and use hand sanitizer until our hands bleed if we want to!

*Leavings us with open wounds for immediate virus injection.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Loco said:

South Korea is going to be the country to follow.  They are testing at massive levels (including drive-through testing) and best I can tell it seems like they are testing basically anyone that wants to be tested.   So they certainly aren't catching every case but presumably they are actually catching many 'mild' cases as well.  Who knows when, if ever, our shit government will be able to replicate that.  Despite optimal medical care (initially), I won't be surprised if our fatality rate trends higher for a while to the extent the majority of our testing is primarily severe cases.

43 minutes ago, Loco said:

I don’t see how that’s even up for debate. WA physicians estimate this has been going around up there for 6 weeks or longer. And given the lackadaisical international travel restrictions, I don’t see a way this isn’t in all 50 states already. 

• Like 2

Being prepared is a whole lot easier when you take the approach of, “Fuck it, I’m going to get it.  If I die, I die.  But until then, it’s going to be a lot easier if I can just sit my deathly-ill-yet-comfortably-numb ass on the sofa and live off my stockpile instead of having to fight against the raging current of humanity looting the shelves at HEB.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

How bout if your sick or care not to get sick you practice some self fucking accountability and individual responsibility and just not go.  Fuck all you mf'ers with no skin in the game try and tell a private enterprise how to fucking run their business.  Got damn snowflakes.  

Or we just realize our elder parents could be sick and bringing in booger clingers from across the globe won’t help the situation.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, joeycovers said:
I was at HEB and ran into an old friend. Standing in line all I had was water and TP. She looks at me and says geez are you preparing for a hurricane. I said. “ Ya something like that”. 

Majority of people are completely clueless or I read this thread way more than I need to. 

Read more  

Probably some of both. I haven't been full out bunker prepping, but I have been making sure we have more supplies on hand than normal just in case. No lines at stores yet and only thing I've noticed out of the ordinary is that all hand sanitizer seems to be gone. As previously mentioned, I think we'll know the panic has begun once this hits NextDoor and the stay at home Moms latch on.

So I checked Amazon on a lark and travel size Purell is sold out lol.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

If one of the Kardashians gets this shit then people will begin to take it seriously.

Based on the amount of dicks those gals have taken, I'd be amazed if the corona virus could do battle with their immune systems. Like "head for the bunkers, this shit is for real" amazed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blotto said:

Based on the amount of dicks those gals have taken, I'd be amazed if the corona virus could do battle with their immune systems. Like "head for the bunkers, this shit is for real" amazed. 

Exactly, we’d understand just how powerful the virus is. The general population would just realize it is actually in the US and killing people.

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Their immune systems have nothing on RayDog's.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

This needs to be on twitter...  

So reports are Costco has been picked over and bum rushed but I went to market Street a couple of hours ago and it's fully stocked looking no different than a typical non holiday season day. Are people now at the stupid level where they don't know Costco isn't the only place to prep for quarantine?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

So reports are Costco has been picked over and bum rushed but I went to market Street a couple of hours ago and it's fully stocked looking no different than a typical non holiday season day. Are people now at the stupid level where they don't know Costco isn't the only place to prep for quarantine?

ABC, amiright?

56 minutes ago, Skipper said:

South Korea is going to be the country to follow.  They are testing at massive levels (including drive-through testing) and best I can tell it seems like they are testing basically anyone that wants to be tested.   So they certainly aren't catching every case but presumably they are actually catching many 'mild' cases as well.  Who knows when, if ever, our shit government will be able to replicate that.  Despite optimal medical care (initially), I won't be surprised if our fatality rate trends higher for a while to the extent the majority of our testing is primarily severe cases.

South Korea has a crazy cult they are contending with and that’s skewing the numbers.  

Italy is the one to watch - they’ve just hit over 560 cases a day, so they will have plenty of good data.

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

South Korea has a crazy cult they are contending with and that’s skewing the numbers.  

Italy is the one to watch - they’ve just hit over 560 cases a day, so they will have plenty of good data.

Agree about Italy. 

Can we anticipate all the US Cults will die? Please say yes. 

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Can we anticipate all the US Cults will die? Please say yes. 

Who/what are these cults you speak of?  Anti-vaxxers?

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

8oz bottles for $45

What that tells me is that somebody is willing to pay a lot, as in somebody with a corporate expense account.   

what that tells me is that people are 'tarded

https://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/hand-sanitizers/N=5+1170286/;jsessionid=00001sI_hqCQ0bq_7MLNFeiIXKp:17h4h7d2r?hijack=hand sanitizer&type=Search

43 minutes ago, Deej said:

Their immune systems have nothing on RayDog's.

I think RayDog may be acting as a gravity well for the entire Phillipine nation, sucking in every corona spore like a neutron star just before collapse, he is his own personal event horizon.  Like some kind of Marvel action-super-hero.

THE CRYSTALINE IRON MAN.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Who/what are these cults you speak of?  Anti-vaxxers?

The South Korean problem is that a woman, and possibly another person, in some massive cult, was being tested or in some kind of quarantine at a hospital.  She snuck out four times somehow, and joined her cult for services, where thousands of people were in pews shoulder-to-shoulder, and she wasn’t wearing a mask, etc.   Oh, and it gets better, they have a branch in Wuhan, China.  Anyways, they’ve spread diseases multiple times before, and have a bit of a death fetish apparently.   Their leader claims he’s Jesus or something   

Good article on it:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-southkorea-church/secretive-church-at-center-of-south-koreas-explosive-coronavirus-outbreak-idUSKCN20L0Q8

They’ve got churches like Scientology does, lots of these things:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I am feeling less and less weird about stocking up.  

And I now realize how much I touch my nose.   FML

I feel like my nose, eyes, and nostrils are much more itchy and in need of scratching than normal.  Dammit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The South Korean problem is that a woman, and possibly another person, in some massive cult, was being tested or in some kind of quarantine at a hospital.  She snuck out four times somehow, and joined her cult for services, where thousands of people were in pews shoulder-to-shoulder, and she wasn’t wearing a mask, etc.   Oh, and it gets better, they have a branch in Wuhan, China.  Anyways, they’ve spread diseases multiple times before, and have a bit of a death fetish apparently.   Their leader claims he’s Jesus or something.

Wow.  Just perfect.  Meanwhile, a postal worker in Seattle has tested positive.  NYPost Link

Edited by TriStone

4 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Wow.  Just perfect.  Meanwhile, a postal worker in Seattle has tested positive.  NYPost Link

According to the Reuter’s articles, they all say “amen” after every sentence their leads speaks.  So yeah, lots of virus floating around in those places.  The cult makes up a huge number of the confirmed cases so far.  

Are places now short on hand sanitizer? If true just head to bath and body works. Picked up some soap and several little bottles of hand sanitizer there less than an hour ago and they had plenty of each. You also get the joy of having your hands smell like Japanese Cherry Blossoms and black cherry merlot. 

• Like 1

Just now, Junior Miller said:

Are places now short on hand sanitizer? If true just head to bath and body works. Picked up some soap and several little bottles of hand sanitizer there less than an hour ago and they had plenty of each. You also get the joy of having your hands smell like Japanese Cherry Blossoms and black cherry merlot. 

Some places are selling out of larger bottles.  

According to the available data, Shanghai and Beijing are two of the safer places from the coronavirus in the world. The virus has been there for months yet they have less than 800 cases between the two cities.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

According to the available data, Shanghai and Beijing are two of the safer places from the coronavirus in the world. The virus has been there for months yet they have less than 800 cases between the two cities.

And only 799 test kits!

JK.  I haven’t done any prepping/hoarding yet.  Guess I’m behind the curve.  I have had strep for the last week though.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

China bumped the death rate up to around 7%.  I'm guessing outside epidemiologists now have enough access that they can no longer hide the ball.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

And only 799 test kits!

JK.  I haven’t done any prepping/hoarding yet.  Guess I’m behind the curve.  I have had strep for the last week though.

Yeah, I've had some funky cold the past week- no fever.

If I have it, the good news is it's not too bad, the bad news is I've spread it to a shit load of people

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away