Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

I agree.  But they are definitely trying to make sure everyone knows how much worse it would already be if they didn't restrict travel to China and Trump specifically reference the lower number of cases here. I guess it's to be expected that govt is always going to pat themselves on the back but given we already have a death without a known contact, does anyone actually think the actual number of confirmed cases in the US wouldn't be in the thousands if the CDC hadn't botched the test and we had been screening those admitting with fever in multiple locations like other countries? 

I just think right now is the time to start being honest with the public.  Use this damn press conference to urge everyone to wash hands, stay at home if there is a fever, etc.   

They are going to regret not closing down travel with ROK and Italy.    Even if it would stop 5% of cases coming into the states, every little bit will help our healthcare system.  

I’ve been very concerned with how few we are testing, but I think the floodgates are opening and testing will go full-tilt.  

57 minutes ago, RayDog said:

The Philippines still has no confirmed cases of local transmission and only 33 under observation in hospitals. Unlike the US they test pneumonia cases as well as anyone with known contacts. So unless it has been brought in recently the Philippines is ok. If there are viral pneumonia deaths here it will be all over facebook as they love posting glass casket, or open cardboard box pictures of their loved ones, and it is impossible to stop the rumors everytime a hospital has someone under quarantine. 

The partial ban of South Korean travelers has not been implemented, but 11 from Daegu were quarantined in Boracay and sent home. In practice it is difficult to know for certain  whether a Korean lives in or traveled through Daegu if the flight does not originate from there. That said, the number of Korean tourists, or East Asian tourists in general is way down. But, the virus will come here eventually.

My girlfriends and I are safe for now.

What has been the temperatures there over the last week?

Might be time to take one of those stay at home 50 hour lines and self quarantine if they’re offering it in your fleet/seat. 
Just for about 100 widebody FOs for now, but rumor has it it will be offered to all fleets/seats soon. I have vacation in March and April and was going to bang out in May anyway.
  • Like 1

Guess you don’t have any elderly relatives you give a shit about, but some of us do.   And you maybe one of the pissy stock guys, but you ain’t seen nothing yet.     We are finding these cases  because we are finally starting to test.   Texas probably has a decent amount right now.  
You know those soccer moms who are constantly giving sanitizer to their kids at parks and games and stuff?   They are going to lose their minds when it hits here, and they’ll be screaming bloody murder on Nextdoor, a Facebook, etc.   
Hell, if they find some in Austin, I won’t be surprised if SXSW is changed somehow.  If not canceled.  I was thinking they’d have to find some cases near downtown, etc., but now everybody is hyper-aware.  
Not at all. My mom and dad are 69 and 74 respectively. I'm worried as hell for them. But they are prepared, and that is all any of us can be.

It's already here, in greater numbers than we know.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Guess you don’t have any elderly relatives you give a shit about, but some of us do.   And you maybe one of the pissy stock guys, but you ain’t seen nothing yet.     We are finding these cases  because we are finally starting to test.   Texas probably has a decent amount right now.  

You know those soccer moms who are constantly giving sanitizer to their kids at parks and games and stuff?   They are going to lose their minds when it hits here, and they’ll be screaming bloody murder on Nextdoor, a Facebook, etc.   

Hell, if they find some in Austin, I won’t be surprised if SXSW is changed somehow.  If not canceled.  I was thinking they’d have to find some cases near downtown, etc., but now everybody is hyper-aware.  

Seriously. Y’all know what we are dealing with. This shit is gonna make the gas lines and water hoarding during a hurricane look like child’s play. The problem is not the virus. The problem is that we are going to overwhelm our healthcare system and people are going to act like total retards. 

if you want to go tinfoil CR on it, imagine another stressor gets added to the system. Take your pick. Maybe an electrical grid breach. Or social media ramping this shit up. Buckle up buckaroos. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, austingirl said:

Last weekend at Jason's Deli I saw a kid pick up a salad bar plate, lick it, use tongs to get a bunch of shredded cheese and put that on his plate, glance at his mother next to him to make sure she wasn't looking, then ditch the tongs to stick his hand in the shredded cheese and put more on his plate. So that's how we're all going to get coronavirus.

I had to go by a phone store.  One of the sales guys rubbed his hands over his face. He ran his fingers through his beard and then ran his finger along his lips.   Did not notice until lady nearby said something.  Now I can’t stop looking at other people touching their faces.   

I had to go by a phone store.  One of the sales guys rubbed his hands over his face. He ran his fingers through his beard and then ran his finger along his lips.   Did not notice until lady nearby said something.  Now I can’t stop looking at other people touching their faces.   

Just watch how many people cough on or rub their hands on their nose immediately before touching the credit card reader. It's amazing.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just watch how many people cough on or run their hands on their nose immediately before touching the credit card reader. It's amazing.

Yeah he was handling people’s phones, credit cards, etc.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Is there a good source of into on the situation in S Korea?  They’ve been doing so much testing and seem to be putting out reliable data 

South Korea timeline (starting with the day the first cluster was detected) :

February 19th : 62 cases.
February 20th : 111 total cases.
February 21st : 209 total cases.
February 22nd : 438 total cases.
February 23rd : 602 total cases.
February 24th : 833 total cases.
February 25th : 977 total cases.
February 26th : 1,261 total cases.
February 27th : 1,766 total cases.
February 28th : 2,337 total cases.
February 29th : 3,159 total cases.

3 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

From a friend of a friend who lives in Seattle. The run on toilet paper has begun at the birthplace of Costco. 

0289-C7-B6-1-D32-4770-B019-DE682-A4-D89-

Well, Anastasis was trying to sell elderberry-lean. I've got more toilet paper than you could imagine. I just keep on buying it. I got a huge pack from HEB when it was open and it was too large for my toilet paper holders at work. So I bought another pack at Costco and it was too large also. And then I was going to TP my neighbors' houses because they are dicks and bought a whole bunch more. Then the neighborhood watch saw me as I was trying to get the first bit of the first roll unglued and I dodged his tackle while still carrying the whole pack minus the one. Anyway, $50 bucks per roll. It's going up to $100 when people have to start using leaves, poison ivy, their hands, whatever.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Apep said:

Inspired by the manscaping thread, I shaved my asscrack so that my existing TP stores will be more efficient.

yeah, i was gonna post there ...but don't do that. cracks need hair, trust me. otherwise, get ready for some slip and slide down under.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m 59. My wife is 60.  Our elderly are gone but we’re right below the wheelhouse. Fuck off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Somnio said:

South Korea timeline (starting with the day the first cluster was detected) :

February 19th : 62 cases.
February 20th : 111 total cases.
February 21st : 209 total cases.
February 22nd : 438 total cases.
February 23rd : 602 total cases.
February 24th : 833 total cases.
February 25th : 977 total cases.
February 26th : 1,261 total cases.
February 27th : 1,766 total cases.
February 28th : 2,337 total cases.
February 29th : 3,159 total cases.

Already added another 500+ to top 3500.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If anyone is desperate for toilet paper, don’t forget about the RV safe paper in the automotive section of Walmart. 

And if you’re in Austin, Randall’s and Kroger’s.  Those will be the last places to sell out.  

We were at a store next door to a Target, so went in.   At the very entrance, they had their bottled water, toilet paper, paper towels, lots of dry foods, etc.    Overpriced of course, but they were doing their part.   

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away