Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This press conference is ridiculous.  These dumb fucks declaring victory due to the 'China travel restrictions and we have fewer cases than all these other countries with less populations is fucking rich.  WE AREN'T TESTING ANYBODY.   

You're talking about the Fox News conference? If so, consider no one surprised.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This press conference is ridiculous.  These dumb fucks declaring victory due to the 'China travel restrictions and we have fewer cases than all these other countries with less populations is fucking rich.  WE AREN'T TESTING ANYBODY.   

Reading between the lines, I don't hear a declaration of victory.  I hear platitudes trying to cover the fact that they have been briefed about what is about to go down. 

• Like 3

If you don't test anyone...you can't have any confirmed cases.82180297082b25e9953f98847ed7e3dc.jpg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Reading between the lines, I don't hear a declaration of victory.  I hear platitudes trying to cover the fact that they have been briefed about what is about to go down. 

yeah, this entire press conference is a hedge of "we did great! but its going to get worse but we are fine at this exact moment. but it'll get worse so don't say we didn't warn you!" No CR but sounds like a press conference that any admin would do once they've been briefed that the hit is coming. 

The risk is low but there will be more cases! Great.

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

We lost contain weeks ago.

I’d posit that there never was contain, anywhere.    It took over a month to realize people could be asymptomatic for up to 3 weeks, and it was communicable during that time.   The thing is so far spread that we don’t even realize it at this point.   

• Like 2

Just now, 4th&Five said:

This press conference would have been fine 6 weeks ago. It’s ridiculous now to sit here and say we only have 22 cases and plenty of masks and everything is fine. 

You must not be listening to the same press conference that I am.  They're assessing risk level but not one person has said that everything is fine.

• Like 1

And of course the very first question from the dumbass press is a 100% political trolling question.

"Never let a crisis go to waste." 

It's like journalists actually use the SNL Gulf War Press Conference skit as a prototype.

Edited by clapclapclap
Yes, Trump's an idiot, but this ain't the time and place
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I agree.  But they are definitely trying to make sure everyone knows how much worse it would already be if they didn't restrict travel to China and Trump specifically reference the lower number of cases here. I guess it's to be expected that govt is always going to pat themselves on the back but given we already have a death without a known contact, does anyone actually think the actual number of confirmed cases in the US wouldn't be in the thousands if the CDC hadn't botched the test and we had been screening those admitting with fever in multiple locations like other countries? 

I just think right now is the time to start being honest with the public.  Use this damn press conference to urge everyone to wash hands, stay at home if there is a fever, etc.   

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

I’d posit that there never was contain, anywhere.    It took over a month to realize people could be asymptomatic for up to 3 weeks, and it was communicable during that time.   The thing is so far spread that we don’t even realize it at this point.   

Agree. I'm not so sure I didn't have it. Fucked up respiratory shit for a week that went away for a few days, then came back, all happening shortly after employees returned from China. Feeling much better, now, after hitting those herbal antivirals posted upthread, but...

Just now, Skipper said:

I just think right now is the time to start being honest with the public.  Use this damn press conference to urge everyone to wash hands, stay at home if there is a fever, etc.   

Honesty would entail describing the fact that our health care system is about to be overwhelmed. This is all about preventing a panic. 

What are we supposed to do?  SIt in our fucking houses for a month?  Seriously.

Exactly. I stocked up on ans carry packs of Clorox wipes, and I wash my hands more often. Am taking some herbal supplements and ordered some nasal antiviral spray (need to get the stuff you gargle as well).

IMO, it's already here more than we know. Wouldn't be shocked if I had been exposed. Thankfully, I've already had a cold this season, so maybe my immunity is a bit better. I'm worried about my folks, but they live in the country and are taking similar precautions. Both have also already had colds as well. So, it is what it is.

It might be selfish, but I'm more nervous about my vacation plans in April. I need a fucking break and I'm going to be pissed if I have to cancel.

FYI, France has cancelled some large gatherings in certain areas (supposed to be in Paris in May).

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

But mine is standardized, organic, and produced using biodynamic processes to infuse essential energy.

AKA, mixing some grape koolaid mix with simple syrup. 

You should try mixing it with cough syrup.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Honesty would entail describing the fact that our health care system is about to be overwhelmed. This is all about preventing a panic. 

I mean you can maintain confidence while urging people to take simple precautions.    Read an article this morning on the Spanish Flu from 2 years ago and one of the big lessons was how much worse it was because our government wasn't honest.   I mean it shouldn't be controversial or seen as weak to do simple things like encourage people to wash their hands and stay home if they get sick, good advice 100% of the time, not just during a pandemic.

• Like 4

Just now, Skipper said:

I mean you can maintain confidence while urging people to take simple precautions.    Read an article this morning on the Spanish Flu from 2 years ago and one of the big lessons was how much worse it was because our government wasn't honest.   I mean it shouldn't be controversial or seen as weak to do simple things like encourage people to wash their hands and stay home if they get sick, good advice 100% of the time, not just during a pandemic.

I don't disagree at all. 

Agreed.

was just at a large grocery store in OR and walgreens and all hand sanitizer and most otc cold meds just vanished overnight.  There was still a ton of guaifenesin (mucinex) available, surprisingly.  That and tylenol for fever are probably the two main go to otc meds for this thing.  For a makeshift hand sanitizer, probably good to get a mini travel spray bottle filled with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

was just at a large grocery store in OR and walgreens and all hand sanitizer and most otc cold meds just vanished overnight.  There was still a ton of guaifenesin (mucinex) available, surprisingly.  That and tylenol for fever are probably the two main go to otc meds for this thing.  For a makeshift hand sanitizer, probably good to get a mini travel spray bottle filled with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

Or just wash your hands well with soap and water.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ha, ha. Do you know his background?

my apologies, that was a dumb post, he is uber qualified. So now reports that the japanese woman didn't get it twice are online, didn't know that before the press conference. so we just don't know now?  but he unequivocally said you can't. so thats it, final word on it?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away