Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

40 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I went to the shooting range yesterday and when I came home my neighbor was loading a bunch of bottled water into his garage. There was this surreal moment when we locked eyes while he was carrying his water and I was carrying my rifle. He realized he just bought my family a shit ton of water. 

He probably thought of paying you in water for protection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If you are interested, here is a non-technical article on how the virus enters the cell and potential candidates for drug and vaccine development: https://blogs.plos.org/dnascience/2020/02/20/covid-19-vaccine-will-close-in-on-the-spikes/

So the comment section on that article turned into a shit show pretty quickly, but a few of the commenters raise some really interesting questions about the potential impact on the RAA system, and how that might impact certain at-risk groups, older, hypertensives, etc.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ths71 said:

Coronavirus miracle? Vietnam says all its infected patients cured:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/infected-patients-vietnam-cured-coronavirus-miracle-200228035007608.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally believe this.  Had to do with tunnels and incursions into Cambodia. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

As if some people don’t know how to boil tap water... if they are even that paranoid?

YouTube!!

Funny story from a couple weekends ago.  Took some boys camping to get them some exposure and teach them how to build a fire.  One brought is own fire starter (striker) and had hell trying to get a spark from it.  I let them struggle with it for 5 minutes, then gave some guidance on how to place tinder (high surface area) and to pull back the rod from the striker (not strike forward).  They went at it for another 10 minutes knocking down the tinder since they wouldn't listen.  I intervened and got a flame in 3-4 strike attempts.  The oldest of the group stood up, looked around, and said "Wow, it's not near as easy as they show on YouTube".  I told them to hold onto that nugget for the rest of their lives...

So if you have previously survived SARS or MERS you got a good chance with this one? That doesn’t really make me feel any better? Or will a common cold do the trick. 
They were saying Sars often irreversibly damages your lungs. If that's the case and you get Corona that's not good

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
2 hours ago, Anastasis said:
So if you have previously survived SARS or MERS you got a good chance with this one? That doesn’t really make me feel any better? Or will a common cold do the trick. 

They were saying Sars often irreversibly damages your lungs. If that's the case and you get Corona that's not good

It's way too early to know if the lesions from Coronovirus have the same affect.  They could but we don't know yet.

14 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

YouTube!!

Funny story from a couple weekends ago.  Took some boys camping to get them some exposure and teach them how to build a fire.  One brought is own fire starter (striker) and had hell trying to get a spark from it.  I let them struggle with it for 5 minutes, then gave some guidance on how to place tinder (high surface area) and to pull back the rod from the striker (not strike forward).  They went at it for another 10 minutes knocking down the tinder since they wouldn't listen.  I intervened and got a flame in 3-4 strike attempts.  The oldest of the group stood up, looked around, and said "Wow, it's not near as easy as they show on YouTube".  I told them to hold onto that nugget for the rest of their lives...

I guess tinder's ok. Just don't take boys camping and show them how to use grinder. That's what bankrupted the Boy Scouts.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

It's way too early to know if the lesions from Coronovirus have the same affect.  They could but we don't know yet.

The "ground glass" changes that have been reported on patients with Covid 19 are worrisome. The CT images are impressive in a bad way. There could be a significant spike in interstitial lung disease with surviving patients who get a lot of lung tissue inflammation.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Pretty much an unknown. Most of the viruses use a different pathway to enter the cell. However, coronaviruses share many proteins. And, it is unknown which portions of which viral proteins confer immunity against COVID-19. But having antibodies against a wide number of coronavirus proteins would most likely help.

Some educated articles I have read think this is why children are largely spared by Covid.   It would be interesting to see what the previous exposure of healthcare workers who became seriously ill or died. I wonder if they did not work with sick children much. I've see sick kids in urgent care year round for the last 5 years so I hope this confers some defense because it's looking like I will be on the front line of this soon.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 11:53 AM, clapclapclap said:

Of course.  We're giving up eating out until this runs its course.  Sorry, young restaurant startup couples.  Gonna be a lot of bank repossessed Mazda CX-30's.

Last weekend at Jason's Deli I saw a kid pick up a salad bar plate, lick it, use tongs to get a bunch of shredded cheese and put that on his plate, glance at his mother next to him to make sure she wasn't looking, then ditch the tongs to stick his hand in the shredded cheese and put more on his plate. So that's how we're all going to get coronavirus.

• Haha 1

I doubt that coronavirus isn’t already in every US city to some extent. If someone is feeling symptoms, they must likely just think they have something else. And most likely it won’t get too bad for them but who knows how much they’re spreading it.

if we really wanted to be safe(r), we should be telling anyone with any upper respiratory illness to stay home for 2 weeks and avoid contact with people, as much as possible.  Not to mention that it would help control the common cold or flu.

17 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Last weekend at Jason's Deli I saw a kid pick up a salad bar plate, lick it, use tongs to get a bunch of shredded cheese and put that on his plate, glance at his mother next to him to make sure she wasn't looking, then ditch the tongs to stick his hand in the shredded cheese and put more on his plate. So that's how we're all going to get coronavirus.

Please, tell us the rest of the story where you throat strangled that kid and kicked him in the balls to the point of confession and contrition.

Edited by bolverk
In/Out what have you
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

if we really wanted to be safe(r), we should be telling anyone with any upper respiratory illness to stay home for 2 weeks and avoid contact with people, as much as possible.  Not to mention that it would help control the common cold or flu.

...and that would destroy the economy. not sure how to balance the two issues.

I quit going to salad bars after the Rajneeshees poisoned one. What do you expect?
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, austingirl said:

And those little fuckers may not even get the sniffles from this thing.

54 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

first death in US via Washington

probably the 50 year old lady who just returned from SK

How tragic.  A moment of silence, please...

Now, let’s hope their executor keeps the estate invested in the stock market so as to not exacerbate the ridiculous panic surrounding this not-nearly-as-bad-the-flu virus that probably wouldn’t have killed them.

Edit: pronouns

Edited by Goredho
  • Haha 1

talking about Afghanistan for some reason... 6 minutes in, now starts talking about the virus

22 cases, 1 death overnight, 15 in recovery in USA

china numbers down and according to Tim Cook at Apple "they" are at full operation

Meeting Monday with big pharma re: vaccine. Task force met for 2.5 hours on 02/29/20 and got recommendations

asks for people to not panic 

Pence to talk about travel restrictions to include other/more? countries; including now any foreign national who has been to Iran in 14 days. 

Going to lvl 4 advisory for specific regions in Italy and SK, urging americans to not travel to the areas most affected there by the virus

Edited by achooloco

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
2 minutes ago, Helobious said:
19 years old. 

The 19 YO is the high school students. Most articles are not pointing to him. Which is odd.

Thank God he probably has no stock assets that might be sold now. It could have been so much worse.

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away