Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

15 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

politics is current and future events.

the past is history and is fair game in the discussion of (macro)economic constructs.

if intended/directed to/at me, i maintain that my posts are NOT political.

post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

I’m curious, does the FDA have a “fuck the clinical trials” protocol in case there’s a situation where a vaccine needs to be ready to go in, say, a few months, or humanity gets wiped out?

it is almost guaranteed that there isn't one available in the next few months. 

3 hours ago, triplehorn said:

Covid-19 could be the near future harbinger of more of this kind of thing becoming global standard in high traffic places:

Reveal hidden contents

screen-shot-2018-05-14-at-94938-pm.png

SELF SANITIZING DOOR HANDLE

• The device uses ultraviolet light to cause a chemical reaction that kills germs.
  • In tests, it was able to kill 99.8% of microbes on the door handle.

This may bar me from competing on a HS Robotics team, but did anyone check the names on this invention.  We may be getting trolled

Created by

Team members

• Sum Ming Wong
  • Kin Pong Li

University / Institution

• The Chinese University

Just saying...

• Haha 1

Swung by Whole Foods on the way home.  Holy balls Costco.
Ran by Target after lunch to pick up some DIY hand sanitizer ingredients. Only one guy with his cart loaded down with water and canned food. A few people looking at medicine. Most others buying shitty decor for their homes.

It really is going to be an interesting balancing act between slowing the spread and not completely shutting down the economy.  I think at a given some schools will close temporarily once someone is impacted, businesses may encourage employees to work from home (and may in some instances close for a period of time if spread within the business).  But do we really expect to see things like concerts cancelled and the NCAA tournament, NBA/NHL Playoffs, etc. played with no audience?  Will restaurants/movie theaters close?  Or will we go on as usual with increased PSA's about staying home if sick and sanitizer everywhere (to the extent venues can source it).  We have a company wide meeting scheduled 2.5 weeks from now.   I think odds are it's cancelled but we'll see.

29 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

aggy on top of the situation, too:

aggycorona.jpg

Actually, it is not true. 

Researchers from The University of Texas at Austin and the National Institutes of Health have made a critical breakthrough toward developing a vaccine for the 2019 novel coronavirus by creating the first 3D atomic scale map of the part of the virus that attaches to and infects human cells.

Mapping this part, called the spike protein, is an essential step so researchers around the world can develop vaccines and antiviral drugs to combat the virus. The paper was published Wednesday, Feb. 19 in the journal Science.

And this is very helpful because vaccines and treatments will target the spike protein as it is what the virus uses to enter cells via the angiotensin II receptor. 

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Friend who works for a state rep has the impression Texas is relying upon/taking direction from DC on everything.    Legislature is out until next year though, but she’s trying to find out what’s going on (they just put her dad in a nursing home, so she’s rethinking that).   

But hey, city of Austin has been monitoring international travelers for three weeks now.  Well, calling and emailing and getting their temperatures every day, so we got that going for us.   

Need to ask her if there’s any chatter about SXSW.  

Rockville, MD and HHS in DC

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

and one of those dx'd with corona in King Co. WA was a US Postal worker.  someone half joked over the weekend about an Amazon warehouser having it.  No idea if the USPS person was a mail handler.

I read an article that she was not a mail handler.  I'll see if I can find it

Edit: Found it - https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/local-usps-employee-tests-positive-coronavirus/XLKCBEXO5FFJ3DRQSBHNACPW2M/

The Network Distribution Center is a mail-processing plant that distributes USPS marketing mail and package services in piece and bulk form and does not handle letter mail. No mail is delivered from the facility.

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
m

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Actually, it is not true. 

Researchers from The University of Texas at Austin and the National Institutes of Health have made a critical breakthrough toward developing a vaccine for the 2019 novel coronavirus by creating the first 3D atomic scale map of the part of the virus that attaches to and infects human cells.

Mapping this part, called the spike protein, is an essential step so researchers around the world can develop vaccines and antiviral drugs to combat the virus. The paper was published Wednesday, Feb. 19 in the journal Science.

And this is very helpful because vaccines and treatments will target the spike protein as it is what the virus uses to enter cells via the angiotensin II receptor. 

Rockville, MD and HHS in DC

I mean, Jesus, man. You realize that photoshop was a joke to indicate that CS were leaders in being infected by it, right?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

BECAUSE THE ELITES WILL SILENCE HIM IF HE MOVES TOO QUICKLY, DUH

You know, when I'm worried about the Elites shutting me down, the first thing I better do is email the politicians who are in the pockets of donors. Great idea. When he's scared of gators, this guy's first move would be to tie raw chicken to himself and go for a swim in the glades. Good news is his 991 followers are going to be a real powerhouse for change. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

But do we really expect to see things like concerts cancelled and the NCAA tournament, NBA/NHL Playoffs, etc. played with no audience?  Will restaurants/movie theaters close? .

For March madness, sure why not? If the case load here mimics the ones in Italy, China, sk then right around tourney time shit will be nuts. Playing the games with no audience is a good compromise.

Do more than a nominal amount of people even watch the nhl playoffs if there City team isn’t in it? As for the NBA playoffs, they start in late April? Hopefully we have a good handle on stuff by then, and business can go back to normal.

Theaters and restaurants might be fucked for a few weeks though. But if Milan is opening up tourist places again today, maybe we dodged a bullet. 

5 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Do more than a nominal amount of people even watch the nhl playoffs if there City team isn’t in it? As for the NBA playoffs, they start in late April? Hopefully we have a good handle on stuff by then, and business can go back to normal.

I don't know what data we've seen makes us think things will be better by late April.   Even if weather slows the spread (still purely speculative as far as I know) I don't think we would see that impact until late May or June.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I don't know what data we've seen makes us think things will be better by late April.   Even if weather slows the spread (still purely speculative as far as I know) I don't think we would see that impact until late May or June.

It's worth remembering that in the 1918 flu pandemic, things did indeed calm down quite a bit during the warmer months only for the pandemic to return in greater numbers in the fall. Assuming this has the same general "shape" as that pandemic, we'll have a very unpleasant fall. And for more reasons than just the election happening

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's worth remembering that in the 1918 flu pandemic, things did indeed calm down quite a bit during the warmer months only for the pandemic to return in greater numbers in the fall. Assuming this has the same general "shape" as that pandemic, we'll have a very unpleasant fall. And for more reasons than just the election happening

Have a cousin who's a Princeton PhD microbiologist -- this is exactly the shot she called.  We'll get it somewhat under control this spring, think the worst has passed over the summer, then get caught with our pants down in the fall.

The woman, who was evacuated from Wuhan, China, was taken early Sunday back to the Texas Center for Infectious Disease, where 10 other coronavirus patients are being treated in isolation. Her hotel room was closed off and disinfected.

Metro Health officials began to retrace the woman’s steps and learned she had taken a hotel shuttle to North Star Mall, one of the city’s busiest retail centers, where she stayed from approximately 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. She spent much of that time alone at the food court, eating Chinese food.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, achooloco said:

But if Milan is opening up tourist places again today, maybe we dodged a bullet. 

The Nips came in to the market last night and did the Chinese a solid, but the only way this rally is holding is if there actually some grain of truth in the Wuhan death rate flattening off.

• Like 1

We're about 30 days in to it in Italy after a couple of tourists brought it over.  They've tested 23k people, likely missed thousands at the beginning or those that "show[ed] few or no symptoms and were recovering at home" and still only have less than a 10% infection rate and 1% mortality rate.  

Link

The death toll from Italy’s coronavirus outbreak has risen to 52, an increase of 18 since Sunday, as the number of confirmed cases in Europe’s worst-hit country rose to 1,835.

The civil protection agency said 149 people had recovered from the virus, up by 66 since Sunday. The authorities said 742 people had been admitted to hospital, with 166 in intensive care. The vast majority of those infected had shown few or no symptoms and were recovering at home.

Then of course there is South Korea at 0.5% mortality rate after 40+ days of the virus.

As of 2 March 2020, South Korea has 4,335 cases, 26 deaths, with almost 100,000 people having been tested

I think we're going to make it

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Oh, no Data. Just saying and hoping for the best. 

edit: just saw the post above mine with data. So here’s to hoping!

Edited by achooloco

46 minutes ago, NoName said:

BECAUSE THE ELITES WILL SILENCE HIM IF HE MOVES TOO QUICKLY, DUH

I feel like there are very strong odds that this guy wears his keys by hanging them off of a belt loop. I bet he walks through his office to solve peoples’ IT hardware problems with a purposeful strut that Dwight Schrute would envy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We're about 30 days in to it in Italy after a couple of tourists brought it over.  They've tested 23k people, likely missed thousands at the beginning or those that "show[ed] few or no symptoms and were recovering at home" and still only have less than a 10% infection rate and 1% mortality rate.  

Link

Then of course there is South Korea at 0.5% mortality rate after 40+ days of the virus.

I think we're going to make it

Even subtracting out Wuhan numbers to date, the global CFR today is still 2.7% which is a very very dangerous rate IF millions get infected.  Supposedly the person to person transmissibility of this is greater than flu.  It's now at the community acquired phase across multiple time zones in the US.  I think it's still too early to tell.

Good source for real time data:  

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, Jesus, man. You realize that photoshop was a joke to indicate that CS were leaders in being infected by it, right?

Yeah, I was just pointing out that UT has actually made a pretty important discovery towards the development of a treatment.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Have a cousin who's a Princeton PhD microbiologist -- this is exactly the shot she called.  We'll get it somewhat under control this spring, think the worst has passed over the summer, then get caught with our pants down in the fall.

It depends on what your cousin is talking about. If we are talking the same virus infecting many of the people it missed the first round then that is certainly possible. But if we are talking about the virus mutating and reinfecting people, I have my doubts.  Even though this is an RNA virus, for various reasons this virus most likely will not mutate as rapidly as the flu.

7 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Even subtracting out Wuhan numbers to date, the global CFR today is still 2.7% which is a very very dangerous rate IF millions get infected.  Supposedly the person to person transmissibility of this is greater than flu.  It's now at the community acquired phase across multiple time zones in the US.  I think it's still too early to tell.

So you're telling me that the data out of Iran is good, and if it is, useful in the sense that our abilities and response would be similar?  Nope.  I'll go with Italy and SK being much better comparisons than China and Iran.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude....he's preparing a PAMPHLET.  Modern day Thomas Paine, here -- this is serious shit.

Let's see if he starts an online conference after delivery.

"Know what the government isn't telling us about COVID-19?!?!  Join our teleconference on 3/3, and for the low price of $9.95, we'll tell you all you need to know to help your family survive!"  

Profit.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Thanks for reminding us about UT Football.   Or are you talking about Shaka still being on campus then?

5 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

So you're telling me that the data out of Iran is good, and if it is, useful in the sense that our abilities and response would be similar?  Nope.  I'll go with Italy and SK being much better comparisons than China and Iran.  

I'm erring that the bigger sample size is more accurately representative overall.  What you gain in identified similarity for comparison, you lose in statistical power by opting for a smaller data set.

Most everyone here gets it by  now - it would be good news to conclude that we've asleep at the wheel for 2 months on testing while a multitude of the US and world population has already been exposed without millions of dead.

Edited by triplehorn

14 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Except that we essentially know that that’s not the CFR so the IF is wrong. That’s something resembling the CFR on serious cases. 
The IF now is should we be focusing on containment or mitigation and what impact is worth what’s going to be a relatively low, but well publicized death count. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away