Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

We just sent out a note to our employees saying the same thing, and telling them they don’t have to travel for business if they are uncomfortable.

Yeah, all “non-critical business travel” was squashed on Friday.

Anybody else bothered about how they seem almost eager to push off the testing to private companies and universities.    We literally created the CDC just for this, they should be setting the gold standard for the world.  Not watching the South Koreans lap us.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And eat Chinese food at the fucking mall.   I bet it was Panda Express or something like that.    Or it has “wok” in the title.   If you’ve been isolated for weeks, and want Chinese food, go find a real Chinese restaurant.  

"I had this great bat dish while I was in China. Do y'all have that?"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Anybody else bothered about how they seem almost eager to push off the testing to private companies and universities.    We literally created the CDC just for this, they should be setting the gold standard for the world.  Not watching the South Koreans lap us.  

Yes.

15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

In this case, I’d avoid any thing remotely related to the Chinese.

Well, the good news is  the food in mall Chinese joints is probably made by Mexicans.   

And if our supply chains get disrupted, a lot of us will be eating a lot of rice and ramen (not to leave the Japanese out).  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

SXSW officials say they will not be cancelling. Can't wait for the fallout if the virus explodes here shortly after. Even if it has nothing to do with it and would happen anyway, the PR should be a nightmare. 

i mean, odds are, it's already here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Uh, I don't really think we should be celebrating that number.. it is a 5x higher mortality rate than the flu. That is still really bad and would overwhelm our healthcare system in the short term. Also, that is happening in a country that is very aggressively trying to track, treat, and isolate the infection. We aren't doing that. 

As recently as 2017-2018 we saw a 0.3% flu mortality rate. 

Just now, hayden_horn said:

i mean, odds are, it's already here.

I don't disagree, but judging by the rapidly increasing numbers on that silly petition, people will want to point the finger at the festival. 

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

SXSW officials say they will not be cancelling. Can't wait for the fallout if the virus explodes here shortly after. Even if it has nothing to do with it and would happen anyway, the PR should be a nightmare. 

City council doesn't give a fuck.  They're already allowing the homeless to murder people, so what's a few more?

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And eat Chinese food at the fucking mall.   I bet it was Panda Express or something like that.    Or it has “wok” in the title.   If you’ve been isolated for weeks, and want Chinese food, go find a real Chinese restaurant.  

You know, counterpoint -- a couple of years ago, I got hit with a hellish stomach bug.  Couldn't eat solid food for 3-4 days.  But still had to work.  Had to take several depositions.  On the last day, finished the last depo, and was hungry for something utterly simple and not stomach-upsetting.  I went to the nearby mall food court and got the grilled teriyaki chicken pieces over white rice.  It was DELICIOUS, and totally hit the spot.

Sometimes, completely pedestrian bland food is what you need.

2 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

And that number is just an estimate. There’s no broad testing for that either. The point is, that it’s a relatively insignificant t number versus what it would take to change it. 

And that’s what they’re saying now without saying it. There’s no point in large scale testing because we already know the number. And the number is low enough to just encourage hygiene. Not high enough to start closing shit down 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You know, counterpoint -- a couple of years ago, I got hit with a hellish stomach bug.  Couldn't eat solid food for 3-4 days.  But still had to work.  Had to take several depositions.  On the last day, finished the last depo, and was hungry for something utterly simple and not stomach-upsetting.  I went to the nearby mall food court and got the grilled teriyaki chicken pieces over white rice.  It was DELICIOUS, and totally hit the spot.

Plus, you fit right in shitting yourself while you eat at the mall food court.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

In the new Star Trek series with Captain Picard, there’s an admiral and she tells him that he's got “sheering fucking hubris”.   Putting aside the fact that we now have a Star Trek series where people drop the f-bomb on an elderly Picard, I think the phrase applies to these officials.    They would have been better served saying they are keeping a close eye on things and will reevaluate as we get closer.   

1 minute ago, UT_OB1 said:

Ok, even going with the low number from Korea, it is still almost twice the mortality rate of one of the roughest recent flu seasons, and that is supposed to be good? I feel like, even if this is the exact same as the flu, it would be a big deal to have 2 flu-scale illnesses spreading across the country at the same time. Only, with that other illness we don't have any of the treatments or vaccines or we use to reduce the severity of the flu. I'm not saying this is world ending by any means, but that sort of illness will have a huge impact on our health system. 

50 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

thanks for the map links above.

Hard to believe that NY is sitting on 1 total case. you would think any global disease wouldn't take long to go through NYC.

I think the disease starting in Asia has shielded nyc a little bit, as they deal with a ton of transatlantic flights but the west coast gets the transpacific flights. Same with Atlanta. 

I don’t know what % of transpacific flight pax go on to the east coast, but it’s certainly diluted. 

but it’ll get (has gotten)there from Europe or from the west coast

At the Houston and Harris County press conference today:  "Go to the rodeo (that starts tomorrow.)  We don't have any proven cases of Coronavirus here."

For those unaware, the rodeo concerts are at NRG Stadium.  70,000 seats, and Willie Nelson performs Wed.  Aptly named Chance the Rapper on Friday.

In a couple of weeks CDC gonna have a lot of people to trace....

Edited by clapclapclap

6 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

And that’s what they’re saying now without saying it. There’s no point in large scale testing because we already know the number. And the number is low enough to just encourage hygiene. Not high enough to start closing shit down 

You or another person were against screening at the airports, and you’re against testing now.    Did one of you used to go by the handle of Captain Trips?

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

You or another person were against screening at the airports, and your against testing now.    Did one of you used to go by the handle of Captain Trips?

Randall Flagg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, what you really did was introduce a bigger, badder monster to your stomach to destroy the stomach bug. You basically fought Stomach Bug Godzilla with Food Court Chinese Mothra. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Ok, even going with the low number from Korea, it is still almost twice the mortality rate of one of the roughest recent flu seasons, and that is supposed to be good? I feel like, even if this is the exact same as the flu, it would be a big deal to have 2 flu-scale illnesses spreading across the country at the same time. Only, with that other illness we don't have any of the treatments or vaccines or we use to reduce the severity of the flu. I'm not saying this is world ending by any means, but that sort of illness will have a huge impact on our health system. 

Worth noting that peak flu season has just passed. So they’ll be fewer “regular” flu patients to add in with the new Coronavirus patients. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eastwood said:

No, what you really did was introduce a bigger, badder monster to your stomach to destroy the stomach bug. You basically fought Stomach Bug Godzilla with Food Court Chinese Mothra. 

I usually do that with competing mexican vs. coonass dishes.  They fight, I win.

• Like 1

They posted some CDC guidelines at work today. If you contract it, you are supposed to find someone to take care of your pets. Who in the fuck is going to come over to your coronavirus infected house and pick up your animals?

Aside from the owner of the chinese food place at the mall food court.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is gonna get awkward when it gets passed to sheep in East Texas.  

Hopefully aggy will wash their hands and face after.

Any chance the progression of this can slow it's roll til after March Madness?  Wife hasn't questioned the trip to Las Vegas yet, but she is going to start asking questions if this keeps up.

36 minutes ago, Deej said:

Meh.

If they're that worried about it then don't go to sxsw. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Hopefully aggy will wash their hands and face after.

Any chance the progression of this can slow it's roll til after March Madness?  Wife hasn't questioned the trip to Las Vegas yet, but she is going to start asking questions if this keeps up.

I’m gonna guess it’ll grow exponentially through the end of March as testing is expanded. Scores of deaths will sufficiently freak out everyone. Should plateau in April, will start to die down a bit towards the end of April. That’s how it’s behaved in every other country so far, don’t see why the US will be different.

57 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

I think they’re using risk in a pretty broad way.  More like the risk of real negative outcomes than the risk of infection. 
I don’t think they’re just counting on vaccines or warm weather, but also weighing risk/reward of containment measures. But that’s something they can’t just say, but behind closed doors you know that the conversation is essentially ‘what economic impact vs how many deaths’. 

Pinto GIF

• Haha 1

Have a cousin who's a Princeton PhD microbiologist -- this is exactly the shot she called.  We'll get it somewhat under control this spring, think the worst has passed over the summer, then get caught with our pants down in the fall.
Or maybe, just maybe, we develop a treatment so that care is not just supportive in the fall. Then maybe, we will have a vaccine sometime next winter.

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:
Have a cousin who's a Princeton PhD microbiologist -- this is exactly the shot she called.  We'll get it somewhat under control this spring, think the worst has passed over the summer, then get caught with our pants down in the fall.

Or maybe, just maybe, we develop a treatment so that care is not just supportive in the fall. Then maybe, we will have a vaccine sometime next winter.

If we develop an effective treatment for a viral infection, that would be pretty goddamn spectacular and downright transformational for humanity as a whole.

Not saying it's not possible, it's just a reaaaallllyyyy hard problem a bunch of smart people have been working on for a while, and it would be miraculous for right now to be when that happens. Here's hoping though lol

• Like 2

At the Houston and Harris County press conference today:  "Go to the rodeo (that starts tomorrow.)  We don't have any proven cases of Coronavirus here."
For those unaware, the rodeo concerts are at NRG Stadium.  70,000 seats, and Willie Nelson performs Wed.  Aptly named Chance the Rapper on Friday.
In a couple of weeks CDC gonna have a lot of people to trace....
Got a note at work offering free tickets. Delete.

6 minutes ago, Xian said:

Didn’t someone post earlier that this was always the case due to Obama care?  Or did I misremember 

Only if you have insurance, I believe.

A little-known provision of Obamacare would likely make any coronavirus vaccine free for most people with health insurance.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-vaccine-free-for-patients-result-of-obamacare-2020-2

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Only if you have insurance, I believe.

A little-known provision of Obamacare would likely make any coronavirus vaccine free for most people with health insurance.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-vaccine-free-for-patients-result-of-obamacare-2020-2

Thanks. So vaccine, not testing. Damn 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

The number from Korea is a hard figure(doesn’t mean it’s accurate as a predictor, but it is a real calculation). Actual deaths divided by confirmed cases. It is more likely a ceiling than a floor. It does not count anybody that didn’t test but may have been infected with very mild symptoms. Signs point to the Korea number decreasing not increasing 

8 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

The number from Korea is a hard figure(doesn’t mean it’s accurate as a predictor, but it is a real calculation). Actual deaths divided by confirmed cases. It is more likely a ceiling than a floor. It does not count anybody that didn’t test but may have been infected with very mild symptoms. Signs point to the Korea number decreasing not increasing 

Caveat: Deaths lag identification of cases by 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away