Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

32 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

BREAKING: I am going to announce a new directive that will allow all of the lab and diagnostic companies to bend you over and fuck you sideways when the actuaries crunch the premium numbers for 2021. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Latest numbers from Korea. 

Damn, just put a big orange dot over Asia already. Shit, for that matter just color the entire map orange. It's a huge shit sandwich and we all going to have to take a bite.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I know Amgen could do it. They have a transgenic mouse that has a human immune system to make human monoclonal antibodies. It could create a panel of monoclonals to attack the spike protein. It is a fairly straightforward process. However, let us say that they find the antibodies by the end of the month. Then, they have to clone and culture. Then, it has to enter some sort of clinical trial which could be fast tracked. Then it has to scale up to meet demand.

As does Regeneron and many others. Still have to pick neutralizing antibodies. Still might want to affinity mature them. Even with high-throughput screens, this takes time before you have your thing.

But there are so few antibody therapeutics for infectious diseases (anthrax is the one that comes to mind). Most vaccines are not antibodies, but preparations of inactivated virus.

The kicker is, how many large pharmas even have infectious disease groups anymore? Wasn't sure Amgen did, and Novartis culled most of their work last year. It's going to come from someone smaller (or the CDC, who did the H1N1 vaccine in about 8 months). There'll certainly also be a few trials like this one which test existing antivirals drugs to treat infections. 

Edited by Txzen

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And eat Chinese food at the fucking mall.   I bet it was Panda Express or something like that.    Or it has “wok” in the title.   If you’ve been isolated for weeks, and want Chinese food, go find a real Chinese restaurant.  

I'd bet that business is slow today at Chinese Gourmet Express. Also because they closed the mall for deep cleaning.

Top 50 employer suspends non-essential air travel( yes domestic too) and all meetings of >25 people.

Some team of bean counters is high fiving the fuck out of theyself for getting back on budget for 2020...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Txzen said:

As does Regeneron and many others. Still have to pick neutralizing antibodies. Still might want to affinity mature them. Even with high-throughput screens, this takes time before you have your thing.

But there are so few antibody therapeutics for infectious diseases (anthrax is the one that comes to mind). Most vaccines are not antibodies, but preparations of inactivated virus.

The kicker is, how many large pharmas even have infectious disease groups anymore? Wasn't sure Amgen did, and Novartis culled most of their work last year. It's going to come from someone smaller (or the CDC, who did the H1N1 vaccine in about 8 months). There'll certainly also be a few trials like this one which test existing antivirals drugs to treat infections. 

A lot of good points here and I am in agreement with most. I was an upper level manager for Abgenix before it was purchased by Amgen (so a long time ago). Amgen has no products in the pipeline in infectious disease and they probably wouldn't license out their technology to another company. So, you are right that it could be a dead end. Regeneron would have to partner with someone to get a product out quickly.

There are a few monoclonals for infectious disease. Besides anthrax, there is MedImmune's RSV product and Merck has a product for c. difficile. The main reason that antibodies aren't used for treatment is delivery. IV for most infectious diseases doesn't make sense. Plus, single monoclonal antibodies aren't very effective. Multiple monoclonals generally would be better but the FDA makes each go through clinical trials independently. 

We were talking about treatments rather than vaccines. Treatments can come out faster than a vaccine because it would be going into someone who is sick and dying. It is easier to use experimental drugs in such cases.

The market for such a drug if it works is limited. For this pandemic, it would have to almost be given away. And future outbreaks would be better served by a vaccine.

8 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Top 50 employer suspends non-essential air travel( yes domestic too) and all meetings of >25 people.

Some team of bean counters is high fiving the fuck out of theyself for getting back on budget for 2020...

Who the fuck has blown the budget with two months in the books? Even I’m still close to forecast and I’m borderline incompetent. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I feel like there are very strong odds that this guy wears his keys by hanging them off of a belt loop. I bet he walks through his office to solve peoples’ IT hardware problems with a purposeful strut that Dwight Schrute would envy. 

Only child and an eagle scout?  

12 minutes ago, Iceman said:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

Only child and an eagle scout?  

Mother?

Seriously, I bet this guy is sending at least one strongly worded letter per day to someone. I’d like to harness his angry fat guy energy to power my residence, provided he’s not the second iteration of Dennis Rader. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who the fuck has blown the budget with two months in the books? Even I’m still close to forecast and I’m borderline incompetent. 

depends upon how aggressively you were intending to build your run rate...

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mother?

Seriously, I bet this guy is sending at least one strongly worded letter per day to someone. I’d like to harness his angry fat guy energy to power my residence, provided he’s not the second iteration of Dennis Rader. 

I had a neighbor like this guy.  I'm not gonna lie i was happy to use this guys tools and ask for an extra hand with something.  He was also a wealth of information on the most random shit but i can't tell you how many times i had to just pick up my phone and say sorry man gotta take this, talk later.  He later confided in me as to where his prepper hole is.  The caveman in me thought, i don't have to do any of that shit.  I merely have to let that dude do all the prepping and all i have to do is club him and take his shit.  As i say that I remind myself everyday to try and not be an asshole.

Edited by RollLeft

56 minutes ago, Iceman said:

How many companies will permanently alter travel guidelines based on how business goes during their restricted travel period?

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How many companies will permanently alter travel guidelines based on how business goes during their restricted travel period?

Investing in virtual meeting companies sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away