CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

I'm confused. He led me to believe that this is not the responsibility of the federal government. Shouldn't he say that the Governors did a disastrous job of handling H1N1.  

Instead of looking at this as a federal versus a state issue or President versus Governors issue just look at it as when there was a black guy in charge everything was bad but now that there is a white guy in charge everything is perfect.  Don’t look at the actual facts or anything.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bolverk said:

Man, I know nothing about Israeli media. The Times of Israel, which I'd never heard of, is only reporting what an Israeli TV station reported with no link to that report. Until this gets some traction with American MSM, I'm going to just make note of the story, especially since they say "we" knew about it prior to the speculated patient zero.

It jibes a little with our own ABC News story on it, but predates even that. While NYTimes had one too, but they reported heads up wasn't given to the White House until early January.

Christ almighty, this would be even worse than I could ever imagine. I ddon't know what to believe anymore...maybe that's the point. Proceed with caution is all I'm saying.

FUCK!!!

It is interesting to compare the level of distrust we had for the government four years with that level today. The previous distrust seems almost quaint now.

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

All schools in Texas closed the rest of the year, public and private. 

School year or year year?  

I mean, it has to be the 2019-2020 school year.  

EDIT:  question asked and answered.  It was too much effort for me to scroll down a few posts.

Edited by jimmyjazz

54 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

So, I'm here in Austin at a couple of hospitals in different roles, and respectfully, go fuck yourself. "PPE stores looking ok??" Again, come work some shifts with me in our ICUs that _are not close to peaking but are still growing in COVID patient numbers_. Reuse that single-use N95 for the whole shift and multiple patients. Reuse a shitty yellow paper gown that is designed to be ripped safely off the body, but instead we have to gently shimmy out of it so we can put in on again. Reuse a plastic face shield that becomes so streaked with bleach and chg that you can barely see what you're doing. And then remember that this stuff isn't even really enough to actually protect you from exposure.

And no, neither bedside nurses nor advanced practice nurses are being offered any more money for doing this.

I reuse ppe everyday as well. Same N95 all day. No one is saying these are ideal conditions and I’m sorry you’re working under them currently.

It’s going to be a balancing act all the way. 

24 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It is interesting to compare the level of distrust we had for the government four years with that level today. The previous distrust seems almost quaint now.

Yep.

Hypothetical: If a week from now, the intelligence agencies came out and said they have concluded that the novel Coronavirus was developed in a Chinese lab, but the evidence was classified, so they couldn't explain how they knew, would you believe them? 

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I reuse ppe everyday as well. Same N95 all day. No one is saying these are ideal conditions and I’m sorry you’re working under them currently.

Are you treating an infectious disease?

Edit: because if you are, and you are saying there is an adequate supply of PPE, you need to lose your medical license. 

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

so according to what's been written, wuhan added 1300.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/coronavirus-china-announces-jump-death-toll-wuhan-china-n1186006

China's official figures now stand at 82,692 confirmed cases and 4,632 deaths. That includes 26 newly confirmed cases and no new deaths reported Friday.

china is at 4632 after the new numbers.  nobody doubled shit.  but if they did double it, then double it again, then double it again, they'd be where we are.  invisible enemy, invisible statistics, at this point, what's the difference?

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Wonder what these states have in common??

80b83fe3a12e94edac59a5ecd4a39c3d.jpg

Ohhhhh, swing states with Democratic governors you say??

Thousands of Americans are dying, in part due to his downplaying of this pandemic, and he's campaigning as always.  What an amazing piece of shit.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so according to what's been written, wuhan added 1300.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/coronavirus-china-announces-jump-death-toll-wuhan-china-n1186006

china is at 4632 after the new numbers.  nobody doubled shit.  but if they did double it, then double it again, then double it again, they'd be where we are.  invisible enemy, invisible statistics, at this point, what's the difference?

See, the thing is, Donald Trump is really, really dumb. Tremendously dumb. Powerful dumbness.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Thousands of Americans are dying, in part due to his downplaying of this pandemic, and he's campaigning as always.  What an amazing piece of shit.

Encouraging violent rebellion in states with Democratic governors isn't campaigning.

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yep. Not unsurprisingly the Red states have significantly higher percentage of payrolls funded through PPP than the blue states - but we still got screwed here in Texas.

I can't keep my mind from conjuring punishments for these traitors and thieves. Mass hanging for those who can't be fit in the cage. For those who imagine others going to hell, let them end up in it themselves.

the-10-worst-ways-to-die-in-a-hieronymou

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Is it terrible that a part of me hopes his encouragement works just so we can get the inevitable unpleasantness started?

A little bit but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t at least occasionally feeling the same.

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Encouraging violent rebellion in states with Democratic governors isn't campaigning.

And even in the polling that still give Trump a relatively positive review on his handling of the coronavirus, the respondents are still for social distancing.  On the Rueters/Ipsos poll, which was 48 approve/48 disapprove of his handling of the outbreak, 74% of the respondents are avoiding physical contact with others and 76% avoid large gatherings.  

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

God damn Cuomo went off. That must have felt good.

it's time for the blue-state govs to say fuck it.  what are the consequences?  trump denies them ppe?  the sba gives them a smaller piece of the pie?  trump talks shit via tweet?  all that shit is happening anyway.  trump has made a lot of things clear, and i actually believe him when he says - "the states are on their own."

he has support from his regional network of states.  newsom sent him ventilators last week.  fuck trump and his "help".  we'll do this ourselves.

200.gif

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

And even in the polling that still give Trump a relatively positive review on his handling of the coronavirus, the respondents are still for social distancing.  On the Rueters/Ipsos poll, which was 48 approve/48 disapprove of his handling of the outbreak, 74% of the respondents are avoiding physical contact with others and 76% avoid large gatherings.  

His poll numbers are god awful when you take the rally 'round the flag effect into consideration.

1 hour ago, sasquatch69 said:

Distract, defer blame, repeat. 

Can this dickhead look at any situation in terms other than ratings? Can he see any solution that isn't some sort of a "deal?"

Not that there is a paucity of other evidence, but these two facets further illustrate just how limited his ability to think is. He's good at ratings and shitty at deals. Very shitty at deals. Disastrous at deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

So, I'm here in Austin at a couple of hospitals in different roles, and respectfully, go fuck yourself. "PPE stores looking ok??" Again, come work some shifts with me in our ICUs that _are not close to peaking but are still growing in COVID patient numbers_. Reuse that single-use N95 for the whole shift and multiple patients. Reuse a shitty yellow paper gown that is designed to be ripped safely off the body, but instead we have to gently shimmy out of it so we can put in on again. Reuse a plastic face shield that becomes so streaked with bleach and chg that you can barely see what you're doing. And then remember that this stuff isn't even really enough to actually protect you from exposure.

And no, neither bedside nurses nor advanced practice nurses are being offered any more money for doing this.

37 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I especially liked the part in her post where she told you to go fuck yourself.

• Like 8

I'm sure the medical workers suffering the worst symptoms or dying from the virus would be very comforted by a few extra hundred dollars instead of having had the proper gear to protect them from the virus in first place. At least, that's according to the limited intelligence that the uninformed use to present underthought suggestions in times of plague.

Edit to add: I'm not religious, but God bless you and everyone you work with and everyone that cleans the rooms and anybody else in the building.

Edited by RomaVicta
A well wish which is sadly all I have to offer.

40 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Cuomo finally snapped.

Hell yes, every governor in this country needs to stop walking on egg shells and keep smacking that fat sack of shit with facts.  Quit letting his everyday lies go unchecked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

17,000 deaths is a disaster. 100,000 deaths is doing a great job.
Got it.

WE going to have to put more of this on the governors for being even slower than trump and now opening shit back up without us being over this.

We'll have more cases and more deaths, and thus more SiP orders that are weak at best anyways.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Are you treating an infectious disease?

Edit: because if you are, and you are saying there is an adequate supply of PPE, you need to lose your medical license. 

All I can go off are the conditions at facilities where I work. We have plenty of ppe, beds, vents currently. I just double checked with a couple CMOs. 

Like everything with this process it’s going to have to be localized. If the ppe situation @traumababe’s hospital is poor, then they shouldn’t do too many extra cases. 

side question - are there any gofundme type systems set up to help support the nurses and frontline workers in and around austin?

also, are there any reverse gofundme type systems where we can take money from maga idiots dancing the streets of michigan to give to frontline workers?

i would like to support both, if there are links available.

From Abbott's press release, the following is the most important part:

In addition, Governor Abbott has appointed Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) Commissioner John Hellerstedt, MD, as Chief Medical Officer of the strike force. Dr. Hellerstedt will be supported by three Chief Medical Advisors: 

John Zerwas, MD, Executive Vice-Chancellor for Health Affairs at the University of Texas System

Mark McClellan, MD, PhD, Former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner and U.S. Medicaid and Medicare Administrator

Parker Hudson, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases at Dell Medical School and program director for the Internal Medicine Residency

These health experts will develop a medical architecture to comprehensively test and trace COVID-19 that will enable Texans to gradually and safely begin the process of returning to work and other activities.

The bolded is the foundation for everything else.  Testing, tracing, isolating.  When we can do those, then we can do everything else (more graduated opening up of activities).

Everything else in his Orders and plan are subordinate to the bolded text.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

God, I'd love to see these two New Yorkers on the debate stage. Cuomo is the kind of New Yorker that New Yorkers like Trump shit their pants upon seeing. 

I'm not aboard the Cuomo for president wagon because I don't know much about him beyond the current crisis. Of course, he clears the low bar of being a better option than Trump, but I easily clear that bar, too. Nobody should want me as president unless they're voting strictly for a better and more copious flow of tweets. That I could do. That, I might be great at. SAD!!!