CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

These regional groups of states are being founded out of need, but they are going to lead to problems in the future I think.

This is what happens when 1) you have a problem of national scope but 2) functionally ZERO national leadership.  States, which realize that they need to function in some larger regional framework (we used to call that the United States of American, back when it was a functional entity) will simply form one on their own.  This is exactly what happens in cases when there is a vacuum of national leadership -- the states try to recreate it on a manageable level.  And yes, these will be quite problematic.  We'll end up with multiple regional "confederations" which may assert varying degrees of autonomy, to the point of open defiance.

Oh, and those phases....without guidance as to WHEN such phases would be appropriate (what are the benchmarks/triggers?), they are utterly useless and pointless.  Which is what most sane folks have been getting at for weeks now -- how will we KNOW that we should move to a more relaxed phase?  Seems like 1) some benchmark in a declining number of cases needs to be reached, followed by 2) robust testing and contact tracing to ensure that relaxation of restrictions doesn't create unmanageable spikes.  Without that kind of information, descriptions of phases is pointless.  HOW do we get there is the question that remains to be answered.  And even if "answered," there needs to be a plan to accomplish that "how" (testing and tracing).

Which I presume the local confederations will just have to come up with on their own.

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Exactly. And they don't have enough hair dryers either. If you just blast yourself in the face with warm air the virus can't grow. Once summer hits we will all be safe.

- idiots who reject all science and then are suddenly scientific experts spouting nonsense that will kill people.

I’m confused.

Do you disagree with the statement that other coronaviruses exhibit a seasonal pattern of behavior? Wouldn’t ignoring that info be rejecting science?

On April 15, 2020 at 3:13 PM, Bama Chick said:

Those of y’all in big/blue metro areas in Texas are gonna be just as fucked off as those of us stuck in red states.

How can claiming a fear for your life be a justification for shooting someone to death, while fear of death from COVID infection can't justify a mail in ballot?

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Oh good, we open up the petri dishes that are schools in phase 2 and promptly get our shit pushed in when the schools become an amazon distribution center for COVID.  Fuck that shit. I'll send my kids back to school when I determine it is appropriate. 

• Like 1

It's a summary of reversing the measures that have been enacted for slowing the spread of the virus.  It contains no information on when each step should be taken.  It was drawn up by some jackass intern in the White House in 10 minutes.  It's like a recipe for lasagna that has 3 steps.  1. Assemble the lasagna.  2. Bake the lasagna.  3. Eat the lasagna.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

It's a summary of reversing the measures that have been enacted for slowing the spread of the virus.  It contains no information on when each step should be taken.  It was drawn up by some jackass in the White House in 10 minutes.

I'm sure President Trump will fill us in on those details here in about an hour. 

38 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We are already in phase 1.  That is an incredibly useless document.  Should have just copied the South Park Underpants Gnome business model.

the best minds in america have been working at this non-stop

86247130.jpeg

This 3 phase “plan” seems like common sense.  Like anything the devil is in the details.  Start implementing tomorrow and it will fail.  Start in six weeks and it’s much more likely to succeed IF... testing (virus and antibodies) and contact tracing resources are RAMPED WAY UP in those 6 weeks. Finally, every state, county and city needs to do it when the time is right for them.

How can claiming a fear for your life be a justification for shooting someone to death, while fear of death from COVID infection can't justify a mail in ballot?

COVID is white? That's gonna cause a controversy in the GOP.

A judge in Travis County recently ruled that the ongoing covid pandemic does qualify everyone for mail in ballots, so I'd say Paxton can fuck off with this guidance, but we all know that'll be overturned by GOP justices.

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

New Orleans and Atlanta are glad that the virus doesn't like warmer temps.  Oh wait.

For what it's worth, I think there is certainly a reasonable possibility that there is a seasonal element to the virus.  I think more sunshine (UV) and warmer temp may lower the transmission rate, by having the virus "survive" for shorter period of time outside.  I think warmer weather may reduce the effects on the lungs, and improve how people can deal with it.  But, if there is an effect, the question is how much of an effect.  As others have noted, it has certainly wreaked havoc in areas of the world where weather has been warm.  

And, either way, it doesn't change the course of action.  It's no better health-wise or economy wise if we get to a tolerable rate of infection through the summer, only for it to explode again in the fall, going into winter.  The field hospitals are going to have a bitch of a time with a Chicago winter.  If summer gives us an advantage in the fight, cool, let's use it.  Let's reduce the number of carriers to as low as we can going into winter.  Because winter is coming. 

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's a summary of reversing the measures that have been enacted for slowing the spread of the virus.  It contains no information on when each step should be taken.  It was drawn up by some jackass intern in the White House in 10 minutes.  It's like a recipe for lasagna that has 3 steps.  1. Assemble the lasagna.  2. Bake the lasagna.  3. Eat the lasagna.

so basically:

phase 1 - identify that there is a pandemic

phase 2 - beat the pandemic

phase 3 - high-five

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m confused.

Do you disagree with the statement that other coronaviruses exhibit a seasonal pattern of behavior? Wouldn’t ignoring that info be rejecting science?

What science supports that assertion? I've certainly seen discussions that it could become seasonal, which is distinct from the current outbreak "exhibit[ing] a seasonal pattern of behavior." It is possible the virus becomes something we have to live with long term. But, I don't see much of an indication that the current outbreak is going to be solved by summer. Maybe I've missed it. 

@GRHorn is a doctor? My man, want to come in for a shift or two? Non-ICU trained docs are being retained as ICU nurses to help with staffing. You'll get your own PPE, such as it is (but you better not bring an N95 from home—that's not allowed).

You fucking idiot. Texas hasn't even peaked yet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

What science supports that assertion? I've certainly seen discussions that it could become seasonal, which is distinct from the current outbreak "exhibit[ing] a seasonal pattern of behavior." It is possible the virus becomes something we have to live with long term. But, I don't see much of an indication that the current outbreak is going to be solved by summer. Maybe I've missed it. 

Every Coronavirus to this point has exhibited seasonality. 

Most (all?) respiratory illness caused by viruses exhibit seasonality. 

That’s it. That’s the science. 

1 minute ago, trauma babe said:

@GRHorn is a doctor? My man, want to come in for a shift or two? Non-ICU trained docs are being retained as ICU nurses to help with staffing. You'll get your own PPE, such as it is (but you better not bring an N95 from home—that's not allowed).

You fucking idiot. Texas hasn't even peaked yet.

No thanks. I have a large brood and I can’t afford to be quarantined when I get back. I hope you’re getting paid those big bucks I saw for nurses. Versus the nurses getting furloughed here because of all our corona prep and low censuses everywhere. 

My point wasn’t national. Opening things gradually should be handled on a localized basis, obviously. 

Just now, GRHorn said:

Every Coronavirus to this point has exhibited seasonality. 

Most (all?) respiratory illness caused by viruses exhibit seasonality. 

That’s it. That’s the science. 

But those aren't novel viruses. There are a variety of factors that potentially contribute to their lesser virulence in the summer. However, given that our population immunologically naive of sars-cov-2, those factors may not be enough to create any substantive reduction in the spread of the virus. And, so far, I'm not aware of any evidence that this particular outbreak will be reduced because of summer. 

No thanks. I have a large brood and I can’t afford to be quarantined when I get back. I hope you’re getting paid those big bucks I saw for nurses. Versus the nurses getting furloughed here because of all our corona prep and low censuses everywhere. 

My point wasn’t national. Opening things gradually should be handled on a localized basis, obviously. 
Lol classic

So the plan is no testing, let the visibly healthy asymptomatic spreaders spread the virus and later say, "nobody would have guessed!" very loudly..

I don't bother to watch the"it's not my fault and let me praise myself hours every night.  Not when we waste week, after week, month after month have the President deny testing is needed.  Simply to avoid accountability and responsibility that the office of the Presidency normally bears.

So the plan is basically a nationwide game of Russian Roulette; where there are just a lot more empty chambers , but simply and largely a game of chance.  Trump is gonna say. "Good luck America, I am not responsible for testing! So when you or a loved one does get infected , remember it's the governor's not my fault there isn't more testing." And we repeat and ride this crazy into graveyard after graveyard.

It's sad that the above scenario is all we are going to. get from our President simply because the moron honestly believes he will not be responsible for the lack of testing because he told us he's not responsible for anything bot the good stuff.  We are a fucking badass country and if only the President would decide to tell every lab in the country to start producing tests, we cold whip this shit.  Instead another week of fiddle, piddle, stew and deny.  All while the bodies pile up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

I have @GRHorn blocked, but saw his post in @Wanker Bob's post...how exactly did the estimates overshoot "the mark pretty badly"?

H1N1 killed 17,000 Americans over a year and half... COVID-19 has killed over 34,000 in a month and a half.

Were you expecting all 100 - 200,000 to die immediately?

Around March 6th in a presser Trump quoted 12K being absolutely a terrible outcome by the Obama administration. A few days back he quoted 17K since he is well past the 12K and COVID-19 was around 22K at the time. He can go as high as 18K and not be lying his ass of just yet.Watch he will start quoting the worst flu of 21st century with 61K to not look so bad but that one also happened under his watch.

graphF_0419.gif

Probably after the healthcare cuts.

influenza-burden-chart2-960px.jpg

The former head of the CDC is seriously upset about Trump’s public health cuts

Tom Frieden says Trump’s budget is “unsafe at any level of enactment.” 

Edited by DanTheHorn

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

How many wars were fought, how much money spent, freedoms given up, to "prevent another 9/11"? Because they're basically saying they are OK with a daily 9/11.

Well, yeah.  Republicans don't give much of a shit about dead Americans (see: Iraq War), as long as they're in control of who's dying, and approximately when, and where.

If a couple thousand of the working class have to die every day to keep the capital gains going for the wealthy who live off their capital gains on their yachts, then that's just the way it has to be.  And if you don't like it, you can just get out.

Mike Pence canceled his interview with PBS NewsHour tonight. They hope to reschedule it for tomorrow. It's weird because I wouldn't expect him to provide any useful or accurate information in either case, but the message he might send tomorrow could be totally different than the one he'd deliver today. 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I’m confused.

Seasonal virus, slow down in summer for 1 main reason

Changing behavioral patterns. 

In summer there is no school so the main distribution method of cold and flu viruses is gone. People also tend to spend more time outdoors and less time couped up together indoors. 

There's only a very slight lessening of spread due to outdoor surfaces heating up enough to limit the virus viability on them much quicker. Otherwise it's mostly about not sending little snot factories to congregate with each other 8 hours a day. 

25 minutes ago, trauma babe said:
28 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Read more  

Lol classic

Where are you located, babe? Mount Sinai system in New York had originally asked our group (amongst others) for potential volunteers to help. They’ve since gotten back to us and said none were needed. 

15 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Me? No no no. See I can’t go out and expose myself because I can’t expose my family. But everyone should get back to work and do their best to mitigate the risks. 

I’m potentially exposed everyday at work already. Not to the level of NYC icu but still

25 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I imagine a lot of corruption  stories will come out but long after the damage is done. 

And this will get buried under the next nefarious thing this moron does because it is never-ending with Dotard.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

How exactly is a sporting arena or a movie theater going to implement "strict physical distancing protocols"?  Are they gonna only sell every 4th seat?  

This dumb motherfucker and all you dumb motherfuckers who voted for this dumb motherfucker are idiots.  God dammit, man.

i don't expect sports to happen for the rest of the year.  at least, not with in person crowds.